Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

me not completing my sentence was implying I was murdered dotards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Der Meister posted:

me not completing my sentence was implying I was murdered dotards

gotta end it with a comma

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I made a puppet say I was enslaving it through anal fisting, its words cast an ominous light on this section of the entertainment industry.

Podima rereg spotted

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Who could've ever predicted that criminalizing protest would be used against the left as well as against the right?

Other way around, it's always been criminalized for the left

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Podima rereg spotted

lmao

Unlike Podima, I wouldn't do things to players' characters without their consent.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1639387164529274882?s=20

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

...oh god

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vox Nihili posted:

Podima rereg spotted

lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my dad worked for both duetsche bank and UBS in the 90s as a computer toucher lol

he worked on some moon language system called Open VMS that was used mainly in the financial sector

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lord i see what you have done for others,

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

my dad worked for both duetsche bank and UBS in the 90s as a computer toucher lol

he worked on some moon language system called Open VMS that was used mainly in the financial sector

apparently, still in use and being updated. 1978-2022, lmao

I love weird rear end legacy systems personally, I think they're great for computer touchers because the handful of people on earth who know how to speak to an OS/400 system or a 4690 controller get to be steadily employed forever even if the poo poo hits the fan; nothing short of upgrading from the legacy system (:laffo:) or the company failing will dislodge you from your position

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if it works why fix it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
whoops all my legacy code is foreign languages now

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Why is Biden telling Canada that the US banks are strong? Did he get lost again?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

actionjackson posted:

we have some sort of small scanner in one of our labs that we just spent several hundred thousand dollars on upgrading that uses Open VMS.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mirthless posted:

I love weird rear end legacy systems personally, I think they're great for computer touchers because the handful of people on earth who know how to speak to an OS/400 system or a 4690 controller get to be steadily employed forever even if the poo poo hits the fan; nothing short of upgrading from the legacy system (:laffo:) or the company failing will dislodge you from your position

he ended up retiring early because prospects dried up after 9/11, or maybe he just didn't want to be there after that (he was in battery park when the attack happened, and had to be evacuated)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Your economic system is a POS.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I tried the hip new thing of setting boundaries with my employer since they are adding another job to my other 5 jobs and when I said I wanted compensated for doing more work I was told they will not be held hostage for ransom demands, that my job description is "Literally Anything" and now I have to have a meeting with one of the chief officers

Nobody wants to work anymore.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
those french people are rioting, over what? The retirement age went up. The retirement age goes up a year all the time over here and nobody riots, it’s ridiculous.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
was lolling internally at that conversation happening irl. american pigdogs ftw.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Homeless Friend posted:

those french people are rioting, over what? The retirement age went up. The retirement age goes up a year all the time over here and nobody riots, it’s ridiculous.

we have more people than guns and if they get used in anger at all its against unarmed strangers most of the time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

In America we only protest if Jon Stewart says it's OK

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
look we just want a return to sanity

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
raising the retirement age when life expectancy is down is a real dick move though

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Buffer posted:

raising the retirement age when life expectancy is down is a real dick move though

It's not going to matter in the long term because neoliberalism always wins, but they're right to riot

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

look we just want a return to sanity

and/or fear

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mirthless posted:

It sucked mightily during the pandemic if you had a problem with the IRS or the SSA or any of the other legacy government systems in which "people have to be in the office to get these computers to talk to each other" so poo poo got put on hold for two years. :mad:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sorry for the delay. Our lawyer has been in court all day for the last two days. He said he should get back to us by EOD today or early Monday. :|

Lol

Sorry buddy, but your lawyer know that you got screwed and he's trying to come up with something to tell you without out right saying that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Having a laugh thinking about people saying the boomers should've "done something" when reagan & congress raised the retirement age here, even though we were in our 30s and p. powerless to do anything about the changes that first affected our generation in subsequent decades.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Willa Rogers posted:

Having a laugh thinking about people saying the boomers should've "done something" when reagan & congress raised the retirement age here, even though we were in our 30s and p. powerless to do anything about the changes that first affected our generation in subsequent decades.

at least hinckley tried

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if you aren't spending your wealth in foreign countries you are part of the problem...

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Homeless Friend posted:

Just because Americans are too cucked to defend their own interests doesn't mean we should hold it against the French

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RadioGenova/status/1639187461577363456

Watch probably isn't actually quite that much but lmao

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Vox Nihili posted:

https://twitter.com/RadioGenova/status/1639187461577363456

Watch probably isn't actually quite that much but lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

In America we only protest if Jon Stewart says it's OK

nah stewart et al also spent most of that era making fun of OWS

perhaps the most depressing thing is OWS was also the most successful 'protest' in like 30+ years. all the floyd and blm poo poo was a joke and rich just played along or ignored it letting it fizzle out after people got bored, but they were actually bonafide scared of OWS which is why they mustered all the armaments to blow it away asap and have the media jerk off about how bad it is, they have no message, etc etc 24/7

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

nah stewart et al also spent most of that era making fun of OWS

perhaps the most depressing thing is OWS was also the most successful 'protest' in like 30+ years. all the floyd and blm poo poo was a joke and rich just played along or ignored it letting it fizzle out after people got bored, but they were actually bonafide scared of OWS which is why they mustered all the armaments to blow it away asap and have the media jerk off about how bad it is, they have no message, etc etc 24/7

police mobilized swiftly on a national scale to BLM lol..what are you talking about. They demonized it almost instantly in the same channels and manner as OWS.

They're both "failures" in the sense that they're both doomed w/o organized labor and a mass party to make demands politically realized, but that's just the status of the American working class after decades of degradation of the social fabric+specifically left wing organizations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lmao just reminded of this tweet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Deutsche bank more like going dutch bank because you're on your own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

police mobilized swiftly on a national scale to BLM lol..what are you talking about. They demonized it almost instantly in the same channels and manner as OWS.

They're both "failures" in the sense that they're both doomed w/o organized labor and a mass party to make demands politically realized, but that's just the status of the American working class after decades of degradation of the social fabric+specifically left wing organizations.
admittingly yes you're right, but it's hard to describe the nuances. police are weapons of the ruling elite, but they also can act in their own interest because they like to flex and beat some people. this was mostly a case of cops liking busting some people up yelling about em because their feelings were hurt. In this case the ruling elite were never actually scared of BLM, they were quite secure and some even went along with it (for appearances only), even NPR coverage was mostly "pro" (at least in the liberal sense of token racism) whereas it was very negative on OWS. This unfolded that way because there was not a significant class component to the protests (although there should have been) and the framing was largely one of racism/bad apples rather than exploitation and rich-getting-richer.

blm were largely over in like under a month besides some token sideshow thing like CHOP, whereas OWS went on for closer to a year (although the energy was gone by the tail-end). but yes they were both failures overall.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Mar 25, 2023