Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/gulf_news/status/1639313538778017792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

bedpan posted:

Looks like 2027 is shaping up to be the most important election of your life!

hopefully the choices won't be open racist vs. closet racist, again

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

It won't - it'll be two open racists!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

450 arrested and 440 cops injured last night

https://twitter.com/MalikAr95405428/status/1639309875976060939
https://twitter.com/vaspeka/status/1639311420310405138

About a million protestors total across the country

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Mar 24, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

The premier airborne human rights distributor.

i can't believe america stabbed me in the back again, but im still an idiot to believe it definitely won't happen next time edition

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's that flag that looks like the rising sun flag (at 53 seconds)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

def seems to be escalating

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

i say swears online posted:

what's that flag that looks like the rising sun flag (at 53 seconds)

CGT Sidérurgie. Metalworkers union.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

heh

quote:

Pensions: CCI France denounces the impact of "violent" demonstrations on business activity
https://twitter.com/COSTESLionelEr/status/1639322793258160129

quote:

The Chambers of Commerce and Industry denounce the "unacceptable" degradation of businesses in the aftermath of the demonstrations enamelled with violence against the pension reform.

The Chambers of Commerce and Industry (CCI France) deplore this Friday the economic impact of the "violent" demonstrations and "blockages" on the activity of shops, the deterioration of which is also "unacceptable", the day after a day of mobilization against the pension reform marked by renewed violence.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Emperor melenchon

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

I think by then we will have unlocked something beyond open racist

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

January 6 Survivor posted:

I think by then we will have unlocked something beyond open racist

Court-certified racism.

https://twitter.com/westernunion2k/status/1471441924192014338?s=20

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

bedpan posted:

I thought people voted for Macron to prevent Le Pen from getting into office
Yeah and he's doing his best to make them regret it!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bulbo posted:

CGT Sidérurgie. Metalworkers union.

lol i tried to GIS that and this thread's current page was in the first few results

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah and he's doing his best to make them regret it!

Macron has loudly stated to the people "I am a liberal/centrist." No one can deny him the achievement.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol it's not the same because for the US picture, how can cops stand in solidarity with people protesting cops. what does it mean and did any police unions back reform whatsoever, no

otoh in france cops can be pissed off about macron raising retirement ages and watering down pensions. some cops can decide they'd rather take a break from protecting private property for a little while and let the protesters go hogwild. doesn't necessarily signify the french police are about to march on elysee palace or anything ofc but it's cool to see

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i have never got over how macron watched the young pope and decided to emulate jude law

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-jupiter-model-unlikely-to-stand-test-of-time-leadership-parliamentary-majority/ posted:

The French head of state has retreated into the Élysée Palace, ordered his aides and ministers into media silence, and tightened presidential communication to the few calibrated messages he thinks opportune. Power, he thinks, is best exercised when wrapped in a cloud of mystery.
The president also travels to make focused speeches — such as one last week to the students of an agricultural vocational high school near Limoges. And he has made clear that when visiting the provinces, he will only answer reporters’ questions if they are on the subject of the day. “When I travel on a topic of my choosing, I speak of the topic of my choosing, I won’t answer newsy questions,” he replied sternly that day when asked about his government’s ethical challenges.

The French, aides explained, don’t want a buddy in the Élysée Palace. They want someone distant, and even mysterious.
The Jupiter theory contends that the president is the supreme authority. He cannot be a micro-manager. The cabinet, under the prime minister, must deal with daily politics. To the president the long-term thinking, as well as domestic and diplomatic strategy. His authority depends on the scarcity of his words. And everyone, from the PM on down to the presidential party’s MPs, must just work toward implementing the presidential platform.

The political reality of his first month in office is that Macron, waiting for the election of a parliament that could implement his legislative program, chose to rule through signs and symbols.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Those also seem to be Gendarmerie which isn't exactly police but it isn't also not not-cops. They're attached to the military and I can't explain the difference more than that and my wife doesn't feel like explaining it to me or can't either.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RadioGenova/status/1639187461577363456?s=20

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Those also seem to be Gendarmerie which isn't exactly police but it isn't also not not-cops. They're attached to the military and I can't explain the difference more than that and my wife doesn't feel like explaining it to me or can't either.

They're the worst of both worlds: cops AND troops.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

100YrsofAttitude posted:

French Mounties.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Gendarmerie

Seems like France has two national polices, one for large cities, and one for rural areas. the gendarmie are responsible for rural areas, but also things like protecting the president

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gendarmerie royale du Canada

Seems like Canada has national police, for rural areas. the Gendarmerie royale du Canada are responsible for rural areas, but also things like protecting the Prime Minister

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gotcha.

The few gendarmes I've had encounters with were decent enough people as troops can be at times when they've gone in for economic reasons. On the other hand, the cops I've met here have just been cops, wholly unlikeable individuals tripping on their minor power. Maybe there's something about it being a civilian run service that just makes them run mad with power, whereas the military discipline or mercenary nature of their enlistment makes those gendarmes I met not completely awful.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

for what it's worth, it might not actually be a 80000€ watch but a mere 2400€ one

not that it still wouldn't take me like a year of saving up money by only ever eating instand ramen and foregoing anything remotely enjoyable to afford such a watch but still.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thank you for this information

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It just means there's a strong, centralized state. Carabinieri are the same deal.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

bedpan posted:

Macron has loudly stated to the people "I am a liberal/centrist." No one can deny him the achievement.

I had a pretty good sense of how poo poo he would be, even before his first term, yes. Turns out this does not help with the bitterness!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Macron came to power promising an end to the 35 hour work week. dunno what people expected voting for him again.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotcha.

The few gendarmes I've had encounters with were decent enough people as troops can be at times when they've gone in for economic reasons. On the other hand, the cops I've met here have just been cops, wholly unlikeable individuals tripping on their minor power. Maybe there's something about it being a civilian run service that just makes them run mad with power, whereas the military discipline or mercenary nature of their enlistment makes those gendarmes I met not completely awful.
Also we tend not to have "local cops&sheriffs", only a national police force, unless the mayor is a dickhead with too much public money in a big city full of scared bourgeois and want a municipal police force.50% of them are armed (flashbang and tasers mostly but there are some guns and it's far more common in far right cities on the Riviera like Toulon than in eastern cities for example and it goes as well as you think it does), most of them just deal with illegal parking and scaring kids away from rich old ladies. Some of them even dies with a gun in their hands because they watched too many US TV showS and tried to arrest bankrobbers aka people that use rocket launchers to open armored bank vehicles. There are exception like Paris where the municipal police is under the Paris Prefect because of anti-terrorist mesures and also because there were historical events linked to Paris mayorship (something called the commune) that makes local mayors with armed troops cause some level of angst in most governments.
Gendarmerie is an old regime vestige it inherited the duty of the royal Maréchaussée and it's basically there for centralization reasons (to prevent local policing). Gendarmerie is military and manages rural areas while the national police manages urban areas. The French National police was created in 1941 by Pétain, dissolved at the Liberation and recreated in 1966 by De Gaulle.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Mar 24, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

i say swears online posted:

lol i tried to GIS that and this thread's current page was in the first few results

Here's a clear view of it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've determined that that's problematic

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Le Samouraï

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXYc_9tToio

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Toplowtech posted:

Also we tend not to have "local cops&sheriffs", only a national police force, unless the mayor is a dickhead with too much public money in a big city full of scared bourgeois and want a municipal police force.50% of them are armed (flashbang and tasers mostly but there are some guns and it's far more common in far right cities on the Riviera like Toulon than in eastern cities for example and it goes as well as you think it does), most of them just deal with illegal parking and scaring kids away from rich old ladies. Some of them even dies with a gun in their hands because they watched too many US TV showS and tried to arrest bankrobbers aka people that use rocket launchers to open armored bank vehicles. There are exception like Paris where the municipal police is under the Paris Prefect because of anti-terrorist mesures and also because there were historical events linked to Paris mayorship (something called the commune) that makes local mayors with armed troops cause some level of angst in most governments.
Gendarmerie is an old regime vestige it inherited the duty of the royal Maréchaussée and it's basically there for centralization reasons (to prevent local policing). Gendarmerie is military and manages rural areas while the national police manages urban areas. The French National police was created in 1941 by Pétain, dissolved at the Liberation and recreated in 1966 by De Gaulle.

the impression i got was that the gendarmes were more "guy with an unpleasant and sometimes violent job" types whereas the police were more "will hurt people for fun and got a job where the hobby makes you a living" types

is this accurate?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
they're all pieces of poo poo, in slightly different ways

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the impression i got was that the gendarmes were more "guy with an unpleasant and sometimes violent job" types whereas the police were more "will hurt people for fun and got a job where the hobby makes you a living" types

is this accurate?
Well, most of the time when you hear about them, Gendarmes are military people getting shot at by angry hunters and/or farmers or guys who just killed their wife and family and just want to commit suicide by gendarmes. Meanwhile Policemen generally manage to kill people with Taser, blind people with flash balls and/or manage to get caught on cam betting a North-African man inside his home for daring breathing in their presence, or are just caught saying/writing racist/sexist/homophobic things. Or you know scaring kids so much they run into an electric utility box to hide die. Also good old knee in the back until you die. So yeah but it's because the environment is so different it's hard to get ton of poo poo on Gendarmes. It's a campaign mouses versus urban rats thing i guess.
edit: and most famous failed judicial investigation stories start with "So the Gendarmes were so totally inept that..."

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Mar 25, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

gendarmerie are generally part of a federalized police force, sort of like a mix between US National Guard and US Marshals but can be deployed for policing purposes. More disciplined, typically less psychopathic than local police failpersons, still responsible for putting down public government dissent.

they're part of an evolution of policing i think, from when roman guardsmen became more generalized and localized in western society. The US never had them because US marshals were runaway slave hunters and evolved somewhat independantly to city cops and sheriffs. other countrys just had the military to deal with its citizens, and they evolved into the gendarmerie

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Mar 25, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oglethorpe posted:

gendarmerie are generally part of a federalized police force, sort of like a mix between US National Guard and US Marshals but can be deployed for policing purposes. More disciplined, typically less psychopathic than local police failpersons, still responsible for putting down public government dissent.

they're part of an evolution of policing i think, from when roman guardsmen became more generalized and localized in western society. The US never had them because US marshals were runaway slave hunters and evolved somewhat independantly to city cops and sheriffs. other countrys just had the military to deal with its citizens, and they evolved into the gendarmerie
Yes history of policing in France is : roman armored troops manages everything -> Maréchausé (royal army guys) manages everything -> Maréchausé getting nothing done because they must be in uniform all the time and are therefor easy to spot, starts using criminal as information source ("mouche")->Maréchausé iIs renamed Gendarmerie by King-> French Revolution -> Napoleon's Paris security force(La Sureté) starts hiring criminals as officers because it "works" -> Former Convict become leader of Sureté and it becomes the first police force, do mostly political police stuff -> Former Convict get kicked out of police because of the restoration, forms first private detective agency in the world, share techniques with Scotland Yard officers and Pinkerton people, is actual inspiration for both Javert and Jean Valjean (also a large numbers of other french literature characters) -> French police spends decade pretending he wasn't their first leader.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/MeghUpdates/status/1639701533142183937