Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I know he probably won't but I REALLY hope Pitino eats poo poo at St Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Uggghhh

Big loss for PSU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

From a comedy perspective I think I'm half assed cheering him on. Not because I wish him well or anything, just because 'seriously this guy is still a pain in the rear end? He's still around?'

I honestly thought he retired a while back because I do not pay attention to Greek basketball or the mighty Iona Gaels. My loss on Iona, that's on me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/GBrianBennett/status/1638669417411125248

Good article

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ok i guess Shrewsberry was an Indiana kid all the way through college, makes sense if he's thinking he won't have a better chance to get back close to family

don't think Notre Dame will ever get back to its 70s peak but keeping them competitive in a weakening ACC seems pretty easily achievable for someone with his skills

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Same

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pitino is one of those guys I can't believe is still coaching. Like my whole life I've seen Rick Pitino coaching college ball. Just loving retire dude.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bird in a Blender posted:

Pitino is one of those guys I can't believe is still coaching. Like my whole life I've seen Rick Pitino coaching college ball. Just loving retire dude.

he, uh, took a little time off

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

but he has nowhere to go and nothing to do if he retires

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

he, uh, took a little time off

about 15 seconds or so

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, he essentially coached in Puerto Rico and Europe for a few years before coming back to the states. He barely actually stopped coaching, he just went away long enough for a team like Iona to be ok taking him back. Dude is 70 and is starting a new job. I guess this is the only thing he enjoys.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RutgersMBB/status/1639009608432795650

I wonder if he actually ends up in the draft... His offensive game hasn't really improved at all in 3 years.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

right back to the bottom of the dumpster we go

this season was real fun at least

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
eat poo poo Nate Oats

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dude

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So uh what do you all do in the off-season here? Argue about sneakers?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Warbird posted:

boo buie speculation

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that a kind of bbq?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mods????????????

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

congrats, enjoy it to the fullest :cheers:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Warbird posted:

Is that a kind of bbq?

boo buie q would be an amazing franchise name though, someone should get on that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Warbird posted:

The portal activity is already on full tilt

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
will Purdue's giant adult baby come back or will our newest lab-grown Swede have to take the reins? will we ever make a 3 again?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

will Purdue's giant adult baby come back or will our newest lab-grown Swede have to take the reins? will we ever make a 3 again?

thinking about matt painter recruiting by climbing bean stalks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

thinking about matt painter recruiting by climbing bean stalks

i smell the blood of a boiler bum

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

i smell the blood of a boiler bum

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1639435832330166281?t=oiE6irddtrpT6cvcErfrbA&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Poque posted:

they should just outlaw oafs. college basketball would be more fun without them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

they should just outlaw oafs. college basketball would be more fun without them.

Nah I enjoy a good oaf. They're fun to hate at the very least, but this wasn't even his fault, he did his job. And arguably wasn't the many previous oafs' fault in other years.

Purdue's problem seems to be not recruiting a few other, non-oafish types, who can play.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Firing up NCAA Basketball 2010 to build a game of 5 giant oafs vs. 5 Markquis Nowells

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Purdue's best tourney run under Painter was led by 5'9" Carsen Edwards. The oafs need balance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For better or worse a fair amount of college basketball is dominated by extremely large men who look like they don't know how their legs work. And/or chronologically young people who play like they're the 50 year old guy who shows up at the Y for a pickup game and just owns the hell out of teenagers, which is a different category.

Exciting little dudes like Nowell for KSU are way more fun, but Painter's probably playing the safe game by going for the guys who are just too big to handle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who’s the last champion with a dominant big? Duke with Jahlil Okafor? I think Creighton is the only team left that makes much offensive use out of a 7-footer.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 25, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I should have noted I was thinking more keep your job safe and win games rather than win championships.

Who was the last champion without a real NBA prospect? Like someone everyone was all gaga for before the tournament happened and they made some big plays? It might be more recent or common than I'm imagining, but my initial thought is it would be fairly rare.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
UConn with Shabazz lol

2017 UNC was oddly low on lottery talent compared to their previous championship squads that basically had NBA lineups.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

For better or worse a fair amount of college basketball is dominated by extremely large men who look like they don't know how their legs work. And/or chronologically young people who play like they're the 50 year old guy who shows up at the Y for a pickup game and just owns the hell out of teenagers, which is a different category.

Exciting little dudes like Nowell for KSU are way more fun, but Painter's probably playing the safe game by going for the guys who are just too big to handle.

This is much more true in the regular season than in the tournament. It's a guard driven tournament.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Gonzaga's loss means that Merrimack once again has the longest active win streak in the country; the only team that can take that away from them at this point is Florida Atlantic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1636456428700565506?t=lLrgaBYlq_TWSyz66RgxnA&s=19
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1637526033284108288?t=qOFo3NzUjrFrx89YGp-SVQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1639436567558385665?t=Mat6w2ILo05OG0-gtrjJow&s=19
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1640094416429010944?t=uxKRqAAcyQ3NbdAChrneRw&s=19

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

grades are all fake anyway but if you find a way in my class to write about a dude accidentally inventing a sport while trying to gently caress a cantaloupe you're absolutely getting an A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Game rules so far

Edit: Wrong thread