Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Like, okay this is a nitpick that deserves to be in one of the books but it leapt out at me as a way to highlight this thing.

In S3E1 Picard pulls out the ressikan flute from the Inner Light episode. It's one of the very best episodes of TNG. Even decades later it still makes me all misty eyed. It's a very popular episode. In fact the flute from that episode sold for $48,000 at auction. It was one of the highest priced items from TNG, and as far as I can see the only things that beat it out were ship models.

Clearly they knew about the flute being this big deal so they had to have it in their show.

But since it was sold, they had to make a new one.

But it looks like they made it based off someone's description of what they remembered it looked like. They didn't even just....look at the episode!

And it's not complicated. It's totally non-functional. They just needed some vaguely tube-ey shaped things and a bit of machining.

Everything in the first season of that show felt ultra slapped together and cheap, at least the clips I've seen make the most recent one look like it's had a little effort put into how things look, even if that look is just STO on low graphics settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Everything in the first season of that show felt ultra slapped together and cheap, at least the clips I've seen make the most recent one look like it's had a little effort put into how things look, even if that look is just STO on low graphics settings

Sure, but that's just a money thing. Which apparently they spent a lot more on this last season. The one in s3 is well made. But my point is that it's a well made not very good copy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Like, okay this is a nitpick that deserves to be in one of the books but it leapt out at me as a way to highlight this thing.

In S3E1 Picard pulls out the ressikan flute from the Inner Light episode. It's one of the very best episodes of TNG. Even decades later it still makes me all misty eyed. It's a very popular episode. In fact the flute from that episode sold for $48,000 at auction. It was one of the highest priced items from TNG, and as far as I can see the only things that beat it out were ship models.

Clearly they knew about the flute being this big deal so they had to have it in their show.

But since it was sold, they had to make a new one.

But it looks like they made it based off someone's description of what they remembered it looked like. They didn't even just....look at the episode!

And it's not complicated. It's totally non-functional. They just needed some vaguely tube-ey shaped things and a bit of machining.

It's fine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

It's fine.

You're ok with the events that are unfolding currently.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

You're ok with the events that are unfolding currently.

That's okay. This show is going to be okay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I think I figured out the ending to Picard Season 3...

So the big dangerous thing they wanted to steal was Picard's body. The only special thing I can think about his body was that he was assimilated and was the only named borg (in the collective) that had a specific purpose to assimilate the federation. Well, the changelings also want Jack as well and in this episode we learned that Jack's brain is similar to Picard due to him having the same disease (he mentioned it was "overclocked"). We also had Geordie mention about how all the ships talked to each other constantly and whatever thing is going down is on the big celebration day where they are gathering all the ships together. So, it's pretty clear at this point that the changelings are hoping to harvest nanoprobes from Picard's body. Then, they are are planning on making Locutus II using Jack and the link between starships to assimilate and control the whole fleet at once to destroy the federation.

Then, final scene

Kirk's eyes open up as Project Phoenix is completed!!!

Ok, maybe not that last part.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Does this make Vadic's boss the Illusive Man?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Vadic’s boss is Future Guy.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Devil hands, brain things, they’re rippin futurama now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everyone wants Picard's body but he's so much more than just a pair of old saggy balls

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It's fine.

nah

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Everyone wants Picard's body but he's so much more than just a pair of old saggy balls

There are four balls

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The nitpickers guide was good natured but that's easy to do when the show is good and the people in charge of it show the slightest bit of competency.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Timby posted:

Matalas was born in New Jersey in 1975. I guess he wasn't content with M'Talas Prime as a self-insert...

Did people whine this much about the USS Bozeman back in the day?

M'talas Prime is hugely eyerolly but the New Jersey is just sorta whatever.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It’s stupid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The entire gag of the california class comes from the fact that half the time background ships get named for small towns or states that the writers are born in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The entire gag of the california class comes from the fact that half the time background ships get named for small towns or states that the writers are born in.

Yeah I was a bit lost by USS Cerritos the first time I heard it and then Boimler or whomever identified it as a California-class like a second later and I was like OH I GET THE JOKE NOW.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lower Decks really hits you over the head with it in the season 3 finale, but every California class ship is named after a city in California.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And every Texas class ship is named after a city in Texas.

Parliaments are probably named after Canadian cities, although that seems a little limited for the word Parliament, over a hundred countries have a parliament.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 25, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MikeJF posted:

Parliaments are probably named after Canadian cities, although that seems a little limited for the word Parliament, over a hundred countries have a parliament.

If they really thought about it, there are a ton of good names for the Parliament class of star ships:

USS Funkadelic

USS George (Atomic Dog) Clinton

USS P Funk

USS Dr. Funkenstein.

USS Bop Gun

USS Rump Of Steel Skin

They're all going to make that mothership connection and all the crew members need to be wearing their sunglasses.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 25, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Lower Decks really hits you over the head with it in the season 3 finale, but every California class ship is named after a city in California.

I'm 90% sure the series is going to end with a flash forward to Captain Boimler taking command of the brand new USS Modesto. (He's from Modesto and we haven't seen a ship named after it show up yet)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a little weird to give *yourself* two major references in the same season. IIRC Matalas even already had a Constitution-class starship (the Raritan). He just can't stop making it about him, which seems to jive with his twitter.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Arivia posted:

Yeah I was a bit lost by USS Cerritos the first time I heard it and then Boimler or whomever identified it as a California-class like a second later and I was like OH I GET THE JOKE NOW.

There’s also a big used car dealership there, which is part of the joke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3N1HxafsD8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"I cannot defeat this man, only kill him" is a really good piece of dialog.

:thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 25, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

There’s also a big used car dealership there, which is part of the joke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3N1HxafsD8

I think he said in an interview something like he's never actually been to Cerritos, but he picked it because the name sounds like the place that you'll always just drive past on the highway and never go to.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

"I cannot defeat this man, only kill him" is a really good piece of dialog.

:thunk:

Now I'm imagining Klingons debarking through the torpedo tube.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Brawnfire posted:

Now I'm imagining Klingons debarking through the torpedo tube.

Now I'm imagining Klingons just being shot out of the torpedo tube, flying through the big gear airlock doors, and landing outside the door to Quark's.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Matalas is starting to lose it...

Yes Star Trek fans are famous for lack of nitpicking, throughout history

On the bright side, his batshit rant here introduced me to this actually pretty-sick starship fanon account

https://twitter.com/EoMProject/status/1639377097394200576?s=20

https://twitter.com/EoMProject/status/1639638211549884419?s=20

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Now I'm imagining Klingons just being shot out of the torpedo tube, flying through the big gear airlock doors, and landing outside the door to Quark's.

What, you think I imagined them casually strolling? They're Klingons! Of course they get shot directly into the bar!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theres no way a british starship wouldn't just immediately explode

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Imagine naming a starship after Malcolm Reed, lol.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I recognize the Larson class, it comes from the old FASA role-playing game from the 1980s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I recognize the Larson class, it comes from the old FASA role-playing game from the 1980s.

Side views: Pretty sick, kinda Romulan but--

Front, top views: Oh what the f

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

Should've been named the USS Jondar!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cross-Section posted:

On the bright side, his batshit rant here introduced me to this actually pretty-sick starship fanon account

https://twitter.com/EoMProject/status/1639377097394200576?s=20

https://twitter.com/EoMProject/status/1639638211549884419?s=20

Really trying to understand how private engineering firms would still exist at this point, doing contract work for Starfleet. I understand how they could be subsumed as a division of Starfleet engineering with a certain degree of autonomy, but as a private enterprise I don't get it. Then again someone must be making private vehicles and ships for people, even if there's no money changing hands...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

"Captain we are cleared for shore leave"

"Exxxxcellent! Load recreants into torpedo tubes and target that beach! Perhaps today is a good day to lie.....in the sun"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

disaster pastor posted:

When faced with any sort of obstacle, all systems shut down and the auto-destruct turns on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Really trying to understand how private engineering firms would still exist at this point, doing contract work for Starfleet. I understand how they could be subsumed as a division of Starfleet engineering with a certain degree of autonomy, but as a private enterprise I don't get it. Then again someone must be making private vehicles and ships for people, even if there's no money changing hands...

Keep in mind that this is TOS-era when capitalism still semi-existed. There's a lot of private firms in TOS fanon; not really so much in TNG.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just watched Where No Man Has Gone Before. The third episode of TOS.

I thought it was really good. It's an enormous improvement over Charlie X. Similar in some ways but far more interesting.

I also like that Spock's immediate solition to the problem was to tool up with the biggest gun he could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Prurient Squid posted:

I just watched Where No Man Has Gone Before. The third episode of TOS.

I thought it was really good. It's an enormous improvement over Charlie X. Similar in some ways but far more interesting.

I also like that Spock's immediate solition to the problem was to tool up with the biggest gun he could find.
That episode is actually the 2nd pilot. When 'The Cage' was rejected by Desilu, Roddenberry managed to convince them to let him make a second pilot and that's what we ended up with. Shockingly it's still very good even by higher-tier TOS episode standards.