Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I personally didn't care for tlc because I thought the tone of the game was really out of whack, like it was whipping back and forth between maudlin to comedy to camp to serious and it didn't pull it off at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/scary-games-to-play-in-dark?partner=nintendeal
Scary Games to play in the dark bundle:

quote:

Tier 1:
$7 for:
Propnight
Labyrinthine

Tier 2:
Also get for $12
The blackout club
Them and us

Tier 3:
Also get for $18
SCP 5K
The mortuary assistant
Visage

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RE4 is so goddamn awesome, it’s my clear GOTY so far. (At least till the next Zelda comes out…)

The crafting system from 7 and 8 slots right on in and is great. Jewelry and treasures get a bit expanded. The merchant is even more hilarious and awesome. I have zero complaints. I’m not even upset at the new voice actors, if anything, they’re actually better in some cases.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I personally didn't care for tlc because I thought the tone of the game was really out of whack, like it was whipping back and forth between maudlin to comedy to camp to serious and it didn't pull it off at all

yeah the stuff like bj in a time of great distress recalling childhood memories of his mother hit me hard. the stuff like the main nazi calling her daughter a fattie until she cries, uh, didn't

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Saxophone posted:

I absolutely adore Odyssey, but I always felt like that system was wasted. You can see where they were going and I don’t know if they just didn’t have enough time or that was really their best iteration or what, but it could have been a much cooler thing, chasing or being chased by a nemesis across all of Ancient Greece. Instead we just got HP sponges that we don’t really even get to know until after we’ve killed them.

There were two good things about the odyssey merc system: cheesing high level ones by punting them from heights, and triggering massacres of entire cities by getting them to clip a citizen with their swings

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've been doing martial arts and hack 'n slash games for the last 6 months. The one shooty game I played, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, I had fun with but it's not like I enjoyed the guns very much, wince everything was wacky and dumb.

So I'm looking for single player games with an emphasis on gun feel. A game I had with that, Receiver 2, is nice to behold but it's frustrating when dumb enemy spawns knock you down one tier and switches your weapons. That doesn't keep me sticking with it for long, sadly, so any gimmicks/spin may keep me away.

So good single player shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

Edit: I'm open to EGS suggestions, too. Also Ubisoft

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 25, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Morter posted:

I've been doing martial arts and hack 'n slash games for the last 6 months. The one shooty game I played, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, I had fun with but it's not like I enjoyed the guns very much, wince everything was wacky and dumb.

So I'm looking for single player games with an emphasis on gun feel. A game I had with that, Receiver 2, is nice to behold but it's frustrating when dumb enemy spawns knock you down one tier and switches your weapons. That doesn't keep me sticking with it for long, sadly, so any gimmicks/spin may keep me away.

So good shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

Edit: I'm open to EGS suggestions, too

It's not from the last couple years but if you haven't played Bulletstorm you should

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

maybe SYNTHETIK?

(on that note i wonder how the sequel's doing)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RE4

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Every RE game i've gotten for the purposes of good/fulfilling shooting, i've been disappointed with. The only exception is Revelations 2, specifically for its Raid mode

Ciaphas posted:

maybe SYNTHETIK?

I do have SYNTHETIK and it does have good gunfeel for a top-down game, but the fact that it's roguelike and have never completed a run discourage me. I guess i could play it again.

I did ask the people in the discord if I should jump on the new one yet and they said as of right now, only if I ran out of content for Synthetik, which I'm nowhere near.

PantsBandit posted:

It's not from the last couple years but if you haven't played Bulletstorm you should

Oh yeah, beat it. Disco Inferno!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

So good shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

Titanfall 2

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Beat it. It's a good game. Trust me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Black Mesa remake of Half Life 1.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Morter posted:

Apex Legends

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Morter posted:

Remnant from the ashes has great gun feel. No to be too reductive but it's very much a souls-like with guns. Plus if you like it there's a sequel on the way

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Horn posted:

Remnant from the ashes has great gun feel. No to be too reductive but it's very much a souls-like with guns. Plus if you like it there's a sequel on the way

Played through a decent amount. It's okay. Got annoyed at later bosses and just wasn't too smitten with it.

So are there any good shooty games from like...2021 or 2022? :ohdear:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Morter posted:

Played through a decent amount. It's okay. Got annoyed at later bosses and just wasn't too smitten with it.

So are there any good shooty games from like...2021 or 2022? :ohdear:

ULTRAKILL

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

So good single player shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

DUSK and Ultrakill are the correct answers

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

maybe SYNTHETIK?

Kind of had a slow start to updates after the initial EA release but it's now moving really quickly. The 3D graphics grew on me. I think it's going to be a really worthy successor but they're still adding and overhauling stuff a lot so hold off unless you're cool with early access turbulence

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Morter posted:

have you played doom eternal

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fuligin posted:

have you played doom eternal

Is that what you call good gunfeel?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fuligin posted:

There were two good things about the odyssey merc system: cheesing high level ones by punting them from heights,

? there is no cliff kicking in odyssey outside of a cutscene

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm sure RE4Make is great fun for RE fans, and I'm very happy for them, but as someone who only enjoyed RE6 I didn't find the combat in RE4Make to be as fun. It is getting closer to what I liked in RE6 though.
RE6 has a really interesting combat system that's unlike anything else I've played and Mercenaries mode in that game was a blast, unfortunately the campaign in that game is very very bad.

Maybe in 10 years they'll release an RE6 remake just for weirdos like me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mescal posted:

You can get the ability to kick people and knock them back, and people are often near cliffs.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Morter posted:

DUSK (Great Shotgun Experience), Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 (the sniper is amazing, the rest is OK)

Estel
May 4, 2010

Mescal posted:

You unlock a move called Spartan Kick and it's great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Morter posted:

Beat it. It's a good game. Trust me.

Yeah, it's also a very quick game, if you don't want to have to invest a huge amount of time. I wish they could have had more than one level with the time traveling ability but even the base stuff is really enjoyable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morter posted:

Serious Sam 4's not quite the best FPS out there but it's got some really good gun's

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Morter posted:

Not super recent, but RAGE, the first one. Caveat: it's obviously cut short on the 11th hour. But the gunfeel is top caliber, was a breath of fresh air after all the Borderlands crap before it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Serephina posted:

Not super recent, but RAGE, the first one. Caveat: it's obviously cut short on the 11th hour. But the gunfeel is top caliber, was a breath of fresh air after all the Borderlands crap before it.

I enjoyed both Rage games (Rage 2's DLC is meh, but otherwise)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

Sniper Elite 3/4? I wouldn't call it a "shooter" but it does guns (primarily the snipers, duh) very well.

I also second ULTRAKILL it's loving great.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mescal posted:

You played this game very very wrong.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zereth posted:

You can get the ability to kick people and knock them back, and people are often near cliffs.

In fairness, after like, level 20 or 30, all the mercs become immune to it. It’s real dumb.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

You played this game very very wrong.

did you play it at launch? i didn't. my understanding was that they'd patched spartan kick by the time i got around to it. when i played it, it was clearly specifically programmed to spin your enemy kind of away from the precipice so that they're not sent flying and they just fall on the ground on top of the cliff. to me it was obvious that cliff kicking had been an intended mechanic that had been nerfed at some point.

maybe i successfully cliff kicked enemies a couple times but i played the game for... im sure more than 30 hours, and i tried to cliff kick constantly and i know it at least didn't work most of the time.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The gunfeel discussion reminded me that Atomic Picnic's demo got an update after NextFest so I went back and tried it again. Long story short: While the devs did make the game feel less janky, they seem to have doubled down on the parts of it I hated - where you're basically running away from everything all of the time because you can't ever stem the tide of monsters even a little bit. Off the wishlist it goes, which is a real shame, but sort of expected from games I put in the "conceptually this could be amazing, but in practice, it's going to fail hard" tier.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mescal posted:

did you play it at launch? i didn't. my understanding was that they'd patched spartan kick by the time i got around to it. when i played it, it was clearly specifically programmed to spin your enemy kind of away from the precipice so that they're not sent flying and they just fall on the ground on top of the cliff. to me it was obvious that cliff kicking had been an intended mechanic that had been nerfed at some point.

maybe i successfully cliff kicked enemies a couple times but i played the game for... im sure more than 30 hours, and i tried to cliff kick constantly and i know it at least didn't work most of the time.

I think that might happen to enemies quite a lot higher level than you.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Also there's like 3 mini-festivals going on and I haven't heard of 80% of the stuff they're advertising. There is too much Steam on Steam (especially the random Steampunk games).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hey since we're talking ac odyssey, anyone know if there's a way on controller to make it so up is ascend and down is descend instead of the inverted default, because this is driving me nuts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also re spartan kick & cliffs, it definitely works but it also definitely sometimes does what Mescal said on even-level enemies, at least at level 2 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saxophone posted:

In fairness, after like, level 20 or 30, all the mercs become immune to it. It’s real dumb.

If you upgrade your Kick to level 3 then you can use it against elites again.