Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I don't really think Novae Roma was one of the great empires of the time. A strong kingdom with a lot of potential, def

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

MuteAllison posted:

Not gonna lie, it does seem a little wild that we single-handedly brought down two of the great empires of the time, but I suppose it works well for a "Dark Ages" timeline. Still a little disappointing that we managed to beat Rome AND Carthage that easily...

Spoiler alert: Paradox games usually very easy if you know what to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We aren't France, we're the Goths

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

MuteAllison posted:

Not gonna lie, it does seem a little wild that we single-handedly brought down two of the great empires of the time, but I suppose it works well for a "Dark Ages" timeline. Still a little disappointing that we managed to beat Rome AND Carthage that easily...

I mean, you can kinda think about it like Ragnar sacking Paris in our timeline -- the Franks were obviously way stronger (Charlemagne himself ruling just a generation prior), but that doesn't mean they're not vulnerable. Similarly, Carthage was (and still is) stronger than us, but if you hit them at the right time they ain't stopping you

i'd like to get a king who's in over their head just to show how much of shitshow ck3 can be when you play suboptimally, but unfortunately so far our rulers have been pretty good

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, it turns out that unless you have military and social structures that are designed to resist them, naval raiding by vikings is really really hard to stop.

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022

hashashash posted:

i'd like to get a king who's in over their head just to show how much of shitshow ck3 can be when you play suboptimally, but unfortunately so far our rulers have been pretty good

Something something suffering from success.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Carthage, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

NewMars posted:

Yeah, it turns out that unless you have military and social structures that are designed to resist them, naval raiding by vikings is really really hard to stop.

But Rome was the vikings, and we’re the (kind-of) French. We were celebrating Topsy-Turvy day. When do we get our Hunchback King?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It seemed to me like Carthage had the raiding techs unlocked.

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

Spoiler alert: Paradox games usually very easy if you know what to do.

For sure they are. Though Paradox has done work to combat the immediate ease of blobbing, once you get the ball rolling it's hard to stop. I'm glad we switched away from playing True Carthage though, just to spice the LP up.

hashashash posted:

I mean, you can kinda think about it like Ragnar sacking Paris in our timeline -- the Franks were obviously way stronger (Charlemagne himself ruling just a generation prior), but that doesn't mean they're not vulnerable. Similarly, Carthage was (and still is) stronger than us, but if you hit them at the right time they ain't stopping you

I hadn't considered that! Pretty good point overall- and it's still an awesome read of an LP! Love it so far. Thanks for all the hard work! I'm interested to see where it all goes...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're totally getting sunset invaded by the descendants of a lost Carthaginian colonial expedition that ended up in America.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 6 — Bright Elissa — 785 to 850

From a very young age, Elissa was something of a sensation. She was highly-educated, learned in multiple languages, a prominent scholar and intellectual, and quite capable in accounts and diplomacy.

Indeed, throughout her infamous father’s conquests in Pretan, campaigns against Nova Roma, raids into Old Carthage, Elissa reigned as his regent and steward, and so upon his death in 786, she might well have expected to succeed him as King…

However, there was a precedence of male inheritance in Punic lands, and unsurprisingly, Elissa’s male relatives would not easily accept her as monarch.

Even before the body of Metallo was cold, Elissa’s cousin seized the crown in a palace coup, forcing her to flee her own home and capitol, and then declared himself King of Little Carthage.

Elissa would not simply surrender, however. She had supporters of her own, and she soon rallied them to her cause, proclaiming herself King of Yamit, and Little Carthage, and Kerkouane, and Eretz Badil, and all other Punic cities.

The civil war was short and bloody. Elissa had around 4000 men, facing the 3000-strong force that her cousin had collected; the two armies met in battle near Kerkouane, a vicious and bloody day-long affair that ended with 2000 dead and wounded.

But when it was over and done, it was Elissa who stood triumphant.

Determined to send a very clear message to her rivals, Elissa ordered her cousin executed for treason, his family held for ransom, and his lands revoked and redistributed.

And with that, her reign could truly begin.

The dynasty of Mago was by now a famous name throughout Europa — Adonibaal had helped stave off a great Slavic invasion; Carthalo had rebuilt the capitol whilst Canmi launched the first expansive wars; Baalhanno crossed the narrow sea and became over-lord of all Punica; Metallo warred and warred and warred without end.

All were worthy Kings, but all of them had bled the Kingdom dry in doing so. Elissa intended to be a different sort of King, she intended to rule a different sort of Kingdom.

It was time for peace.

With the past half-century having been dominated by Metallo’s wars, the realm’s finances were suffering, so Elissa made that her first priority — she expanded fields and constructed harbours throughout Yamit, developed novel cropping techniques, and began minting her own coinage based on the ancient shekel.

Elissa also transformed the royal court into a cultural capital, reigniting the spark of innovation that had been lacking since the death of Good King Carthalo.

There was a flowering of Punic literature under her reign, as poets and chroniclers penned verses in honour of the king —

Alchemists, knights, thinkers, polyglots, merchants, explorers, inventors — they all flocked to Qart Hadasht seeking the patronage of ‘Bright Elissa’ and ‘Elissa the Splendid’, as she was known throughout Europa and even Africa.

Many of her visitors arrived from the isle of Pretan, and while her father and grandfather had only been interested in subjugating the Brythons, Elissa actually developed an interest in their customs and traditions.

She learned that the Brytho-Punics had developed very differently from the Gallo-Punics, melding with the native Brythons in a way that the Punic settlers in Gaul did not. This was most evident in their faith, which was divided into a number of druidic orders — each of which maintained secret troves of philosophy, theology, sorcery — that were constantly competing with one another for religious supremacy in Brythonia.

Indeed, it is believed that the druids even inducted Elissa into one of these orders, imparting her with a sacred and secret knowledge…

And this soon became the mystery and then obsession of the royal court, with many of Elissa’s vassals and courtiers following her into Brythonic paganism and seeking entry into the druidic orders.

Thus, under her reign, Elissa ushered in something of a golden age for her Kingdom. Conflict could not be avoided altogether, however, because the Norman incursions were growing larger and more frequent.

Rather than raise the levy and spill the blood of every passing marauder, however, Elissa opted for another avenue — when yet another viking invaded Kerkouane with 13,000 northmen, she actually reached an agreement with him.

In return for land and titles, this viking would serve the King as a vassal lord, acting as a buffer against his own savage brethren. There were plenty of (Punic) vassals upset by this, of course, but as Elissa herself pointed out — she was not just the daughter of Metallo, but the heir to Sif the Shieldmaiden as well.

And before long, her wisdom in this was justified, as her new vassals leapt to defend the realm against further Norman incursions —

The year 838 would be perhaps the most consequential year of Elissa’s reign, for this was when she promulgated the Treatises of Elissa —

These treatises comprised a series of legislation that diminished the powers of vassals, centralised the Magonid domains under a single priest-judge-monarch (the king), established uniform coinage, and finally (and most importantly) dissolved the petty kingdoms of Little Carthage, Yamit, Kerkouane, Eretz Badil etc. in favour of a single, larger kingdom of the Narrow Seas.

She took a new title to represent this elevated rank — malik a-malikin, which translates to “king of kings” or “high king”.

The various realms and ‘narrow seas’ that form the new empire.

And all manner of chiefs, princes and lesser kings did tribute to her —

From there, the months and years trickled by slowly, and were amongst the most prosperous years of Magonid rule. With a revitalised economy and control over key waterways, the kingdom of the Narrow Seas became the dominant force in Europa, rivalled only by the Sclaveni Kingdom to the distant east.

And where her predecessors might have undertaken campaigns against the Slavs, the high king Elissa instead sought alliance, marrying her only daughter to a Sclaveni prince.

She even dispatched diplomats to the most impenetrable extremes of the east, making contact with the legendary khan of the Huns —

Speaking of her children — whilst she certainly remained dedicated to her scholarly and cultural pursuits, Elissa found time to enjoy herself as well… more than once, even…

In fact, by the year 845, Elissa had mothered a dozen children to numerous fathers, almost all sons —

All things come to an end, however. Slowly but surely, the years became murky memories, her babes grew into men and women, thick brown locks gave way to thin grey hairs — before she knew it, Elissa was an old woman.

Thus, in the year 850, the high king decided that the time had come to set aside her burden, and abdicate her crown to her son and heir — Himilco.

She distributed lesser titles, such as lordships over Kerkouane and Eretz Badil, to other sons, but even so… Elissa had had quite a few children, and there were plenty of landless sons who were likely to foment trouble and infighting before long.

But she had a plan for them as well.

At almost eighty years of age, Elissa had lived a long and worthwhile life — but she was not yet dead. She might have spent her final years in peace and quiet. She could raise her grandchildren, guide her heirs, rule her kingdom. She would pass peacefully in a soft bed, surrounded by friends and family.

But the tale of her namesake did not end that way, and nor would hers. Instead, she was going to collect her second sons, raise an army of ambitious volunteers, and go on an adventure…

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Vote!:siren:

The Voyages of Bright Elissa

Having spent her entire life ruling her realm from within Qart Hadasht, the high king Elissa has decreed that it is her utmost wish and ambition to engage in a voyage into the east — to the lands that her father had once sworn to see, before his sudden death.

Taking with her several sons, a large entourage, and an army, the high king has yet to decide where exactly she will land…

A — Egyptwe will touch down in the Egyptian region, and later generations may convert to Pharaonic Christianity.

B — Canaanwe will touch down in the Canaan region, and later generations may convert to Judaism.

C — Syriawe will touch down in the Syrian region, and later generations may convert to Antiochene Christianity.

D — Anatoliawe will touch down in the Anatolian region, and later generations may convert to Islam.

E — Byzantionwe will touch down in the Bosphorus region, and later generations may convert to Patristic Christianity.

Fair warning — we have no idea what the current situation in the east looks like, but the Struggle for the Holy Land is ongoing and one side (and their religion) has gained a decisive advantage.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A! The Magonids shall rule over the most ancient empire in the world, etching their names into the legendary Pyramids themselves!

also drat elissa ruled

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Egypt - Phoenician Pharohs!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We must get to Canaan as soon as we are able!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A Scotsman Magonid in Egypt

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A, Egypt seems like a fun place.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
A

Egypt seems as good a place as any, and it'll be fun to see where they end up

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013
A!

Also, dang, back-to-back with these amazing rulers!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
B - we must return to the cradle of the Levant!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

C, I feel that there are very few LPs in that region.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
B Canaan

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ah, a nice peaceful and prosperous ruler. And a major gain for Druidism!

A - Egypt was, last we saw it, in disrepair and ruin. Nothing a Magonid can't fix.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
A I’m pretty sure I voted for Egypt for something before, and Ra-damnit I’m going to vote for them again.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

B - it's time to go home.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
its weird that we converted to druidism

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
B

Having conquered Old Carthage, we must return to Even Older Carthage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
B. We used to be a Canaanite before becoming Druidic. It's time to return

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

B
It's what dad would have wanted.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

B. Everyone loves the Holy Land, I'm sure whoever owns it will be glad to see us!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hellioning posted:

B. Everyone loves the Holy Land, I'm sure whoever owns it will be glad to see us!

B charging rear end-first into Holy War Thunderdome and converting jerusalem to paganism-but-weird sounds like a fun way to piss off basically everyone. even if you're not playing Dominions

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
B - It's coming home!

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

B

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pacho posted:

B - It's coming home!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
A

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Farewell, my friends, I'm Bound for Canaan
I'm traveling through the wilderness
Your company has been delightful
You, who doth leave my mind distressed
I go away, behind to leave you
Perhaps never to meet again;
But if we ever have this pleasure
I hope we'll meet on Canaan's land

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

At fat era, ripe with knowledge and heavy in gold.

Time to burn it. B

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. Return to our roots.