Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Red Crown posted:

My co-workers looked at me askance, glaring with dead eyes.

Thread title right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Red Crown posted:

I pulled my resignation back, the die is cast.

Surely no goon is this dumb!?!?

Pray tell this is some twisted joke upon us?

Your immoral soul is in peril young Crown

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Red Crown posted:

I probably shoulda led with that, yeah.

Who needs familial bonds when you have the unbreakable bond of Man and the Sea? :v:

Well, it's done: my friends pleaded with me. My co-workers looked at me askance, glaring with dead eyes. The thread warned me. I pulled my resignation back, the die is cast.

:lol:

This is why I still hang out in the Navy thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

o7

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know there are a lot of bittervets in here but not everyone has / had it that bad.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

I know there are a lot of bittervets in here but not everyone has / had it that bad.

Yeah, only the people who actually had to work are bitter about the whole thing 😁😁😁

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I don't regret joining, but I really don't regret leaving.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Why in the ever living gently caress would you pull your resignation back?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
He's harming himself for our future entertainment I guess. Kinda like a slow motion Jackass skit, where everybody in the audience says to stop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Red Crown posted:

I probably shoulda led with that, yeah.

Who needs familial bonds when you have the unbreakable bond of Man and the Sea? :v:

Well, it's done: my friends pleaded with me. My co-workers looked at me askance, glaring with dead eyes. The thread warned me. I pulled my resignation back, the die is cast.

Come on out to fleet week nyc!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m blaming crab dad for this.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

FrozenVent posted:

I’m blaming crab dad for this.

Please do the needful.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Valley Stared posted:

How else are you going to get servants to do all your cooking, cleaning, and laundry for you?

(This sounds kinda mean, so I want to make it clear that it's a joke)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Valley Stared posted:

Maybe he his hoping to re-rate to nuke.

But look, we know there's still a significant chance the paperwork is hosed up and not pulled back and he gets resigned by accident.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I did receive some paperwork recently that had to be drafted over again and so there was a sticky note on top asking me to PLEASE RESIGN. I should have kept it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How much was your recruitment kickback, Crab dad?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How much was your recruitment kickback, Crab dad?

On my life I have never ever talked to anyone about joining active duty. Currently I’m helping a HM and a MA getting out of the navy go into civilian IT.

Really loving good time to get into gov IT. OPM is pushing a raise for all 2210GS employees. If that gets uncorked in October it may be nearly competing with the private sector. Good way to finish your twenty years imo.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Oh fun. An eval and letter of extension from three years ago just disappeared from my record.

It's also the only one I can't find in my stash.

Just Navy things.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

On my life I have never ever talked to anyone about joining active duty. Currently I’m helping a HM and a MA getting out of the navy go into civilian IT.

Really loving good time to get into gov IT. OPM is pushing a raise for all 2210GS employees. If that gets uncorked in October it may be nearly competing with the private sector. Good way to finish your twenty years imo.

I don't have PMs, but I'd like to pick your brain on this. I retire in about a year and a half.

I'm currently going through a cyber security grant program which will pay for 3 certs upon completion (A+, Sec+, RHSCA, CyberOps, CEH), and I'm not sure which to focus on.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

tacopie posted:

I don't have PMs, but I'd like to pick your brain on this. I retire in about a year and a half.

I'm currently going through a cyber security grant program which will pay for 3 certs upon completion (A+, Sec+, RHSCA, CyberOps, CEH), and I'm not sure which to focus on.

Are you coming from an IT / Cyber background currently?

Def do Sec+ and RHSCA. Sec+ because its a requirement for a lot of federal IT jobs. RHSCA to get those linux-y skills that open you up to Linux side administration.

I've never heard of CyberOps but it looks like a decent primer on SOC jobs. Its probably very Cisco stack focused.

CEH felt like total bullshit but HR people and management do like it. It does give a bit of an introduction to hacker methodology but I was less than impressed. I took it back in like 2014 so maybe its changed.

So between CyberOps and CEH I feel like is a tossup.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Def do Sec+ and RHSCA. Sec+ because its a requirement for a lot of federal IT jobs. RHSCA to get those linux-y skills that open you up to Linux side administration.

I've never heard of CyberOps but it looks like a decent primer on SOC jobs. Its probably very Cisco stack focused.

CEH felt like total bullshit but HR people and management do like it. It does give a bit of an introduction to hacker methodology but I was less than impressed. I took it back in like 2014 so maybe its changed.

As a civvie InfoSec guy who doesn’t do DoD-related work my advice is that while the CEH is beloved by HR folk, like Laranzu I’ve been less then impressed in various versions I’ve looked at. If you have any interest in networking do the CyberOps, Cisco is still incredibly popular even if it’s not ubiquitous the way it was 15 years ago.

If you’re up for it do the free training on Azure and Amazon Web Services. Cloud is the future and even having a basic grasp of the technology and terminology will help you as you transition out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

What Laranzu said is all correct. What I’m stressing with these guys is the Sec+ and then to mellow expectations of instant perfect job if you basically have no experience. However that said our office has a very good track record of Field Service Technicians (computer janitors) “networking” in the literal term and moving on after 2 years or less.

My experience only applies to contractor gov IT. I’m sure there’s much better civ sector stuff out there though. Amazon has been scarfing up a lot of nuc engineers due to proven ability to learn/be abused and high end clearances.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
nobody does CISSP anymore? as much as i come from the anti-cert half of the industry, it seemed decently comprehensive when i checked out the material

anyway, despite the IBM poisoning, Red Hat material should still be good and battle-tested for learning Linux fundamentals, which you can reasonably expect to remain relevant through the entirety of your career

on the non-cert networking side of things, https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Illustrated-Protocols-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321336313/, while in some ways a bit dated (in a way that doesn't matter, because adoption of newer network tech evolves at a _glacial_ pace), is an excellently written explanation of how networks operate at a fundamental level. https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Packet-Analysis-Wireshark-Real-World/dp/1593278020/ is a good book from the other end, on how you apply that theory using tools to solve problems in practice

Azure or AWS (lol GCP no) expertise will remain in demand, and their in-house training programs should be fine (caveat that i have no experience with them, but Azure and AWS have good incentive to make their training programs worthwhile)

the one thing that google _has_ managed to do successfully in the public infra space is kubernetes, and that's big enough now that there are established training/cert paths for it (https://kubernetes.io/training/), but also still small enough that it has something of a lower barrier to entry than the other stuff, insofar as there's less saturation of experienced people. those courses don't go as in-depth into linux and networking fundamentals as the other things i mentioned, but they'll go over enough, in the context of systems that you will be using within the current decade. govt IT probably isn't on that bandwagon yet, but industry sure as hell is, and govt poo poo is inevitably going to follow

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

nobody does CISSP anymore? as much as i come from the anti-cert half of the industry, it seemed decently comprehensive when i checked out the material

CISSP has undeniably been the single most valuable cert I’ve ever had. But that was 2007 (drat I’m so loving old).

It’s not an entry level cert and IME few orgs will pay for the boot camp and test. I got my then employer to foot the bill for the test after a year+ of self study using the now ancient Shon Harris and CISSP for dummies books. You also used to need a year+ of demonstrated experience in the field which again means not an entry level cert.

SEC+ seems to be the gateway now used for DOD work. CISSP is more of a capstone in this model.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nystral posted:

CISSP has undeniably been the single most valuable cert I’ve ever had. But that was 2007 (drat I’m so loving old).

It’s not an entry level cert and IME few orgs will pay for the boot camp and test. I got my then employer to foot the bill for the test after a year+ of self study using the now ancient Shon Harris and CISSP for dummies books. You also used to need a year+ of demonstrated experience in the field which again means not an entry level cert.

SEC+ seems to be the gateway now used for DOD work. CISSP is more of a capstone in this model.

SEC+ is the gateway for all DOD work, since you need it to get IAT Level 1. You also need a platform cert (Azure/Amazon/Linux/Kubernetes/whatever platform you are going to be working on) on top of SEC+, but I've seen places that kinda bullshit this req and come up with handwavey things to get around it, since people with those certs cost more money that a lot of contracts don't seem to want to pay.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This entire page needs a loving pink belly. Buncha nerds

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I totally appreciate all of the replies, and i will take the time to digest and reply when i can. My background is working on H-60 electrical systems.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

anyway, despite the IBM poisoning, Red Hat material should still be good and battle-tested for learning Linux fundamentals, which you can reasonably expect to remain relevant through the entirety of your career

on the non-cert networking side of things, https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Illustrated-Protocols-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321336313/, while in some ways a bit dated (in a way that doesn't matter, because adoption of newer network tech evolves at a _glacial_ pace), is an excellently written explanation of how networks operate at a fundamental level.

on the non-cert networking side of things, https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Illustrated-Protocols-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321336313/, while in some ways a bit dated (in a way that doesn't matter, because adoption of newer network tech evolves at a _glacial_ pace), is an excellently written explanation of how networks operate at a fundamental level. [

I always liked this guy for diving way way too deep into TCP.

The Illustrated Network: How TCP/IP Works in a Modern Network https://a.co/d/7gyaPVN

At least the last edition.

What side of the industry is anti cert?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

This entire page needs a loving pink belly. Buncha nerds

I honestly don’t know what 75% of stuff just mentioned is. I’m about the dumbest you can possibly get and still succeed in this field. I will be working on a few new certs but honestly I’d be better off leaning towards management.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Laranzu posted:

What side of the industry is anti cert?

infosec in particular has a strong segment of anti-authoritarian types that despise credentialism. IT is also a relatively new industry that changes rapidly, so certs have historically had a hard time keeping up with modern practice

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 26, 2023

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

infosec in particular has a strong segment of anti-authoritarian types that despise credentialism. IT is also a relatively new industry that changes rapidly, so certs have historically had a hard time keeping up with modern practice

Coupled with the paper tigers from the late 90s and early 00s we’re a jackass with a ton of certs can’t do the loving job. This is continued with idiots thinking a ton of certs will mean they can do the job instead of unlocking the magical HR gates and getting you to the next level of an interview with someone from the hiring team.

Certs show knowledge but don’t replace experience. But interviewers need to stop looking for someone who can slot in day 1 instead of being trained up a bit so they’re effective by day 100. FFS I’ve had a role open on my team for 18 months because hiring team won’t loving get that the perfect candidate already has a job with a gently caress load less bullshit.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nystral posted:

This is continued with idiots thinking a ton of certs will mean they can do the job instead of unlocking the magical HR gates and getting you to the next level of an interview with someone from the hiring team.
Certs show knowledge but don’t replace experience.

Ok. So not exactly anti-cert just exactly what certs are =P

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

M_Gargantua posted:

He's harming himself for our future entertainment I guess. Kinda like a slow motion Jackass skit, where everybody in the audience says to stop.

After 15 years of watching people Post Through It on these forums, I felt the need to contribute. I'll keep you updated.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there's nothing wrong with doing a career in the service. it's just generally not advisable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had a dream last night that I joined back up and was the IDIS on a sub. Definitely woke up angry and confused why my mind did that

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Red Crown posted:

After 15 years of watching people Post Through It on these forums, I felt the need to contribute. I'll keep you updated.

Update 1: I was lied to.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Not to sound like an rear end, but everyone in this thread knew that would be the case, including you.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

there's nothing wrong with doing a career in the service. it's just generally not advisable.

I'm just glad it's someone else not me

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Red Crown posted:

Why didn't you just slam your dick in a door a couple times and call it a day instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Award letters came up in conversation this weekend with a friend of mine and I was reminded of this. I was getting ready to check out from the LAND in La Madd and everyone's family would get a letter of apprciation from the skipper since being stationed there was "arduous." I was the Command DAPA and had a very good relationship with him. He said that he signed a letter for my (now ex) wife but didn't see any for any kids. I told him I didn't have any kids but I had two cats if he was in the signing mood. He thought for a second and then said that sounded good to him.

Miles was the other cat but he passed away before I thought to take a picture of him with his award. Anyway, that was Bernie. She was a highly decorated cat.