Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

Aggretsuko is written by someone who is vaguely aware that society exists, throws a few references to things they might have heard about on the news, and prettymuch calls it a day after shrugging their shoulders at the way things are.

Remember when the super-genius young upstart's amazing plan was... to cook the books a bit? And that's it. That was the extent of the plan. It failed because it was the most obvious scheme with no intrigue whatsoever.

It feels so much worse this season because they don't even shrug their shoulders, it's like they bring it up and just forget about it so Retsuko can deliver a monologue about Rage.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So did they make Haida not a weirdo, like he finally gets the girl he wants and then just acts like a weird dick.

He's pretty chill this season, but maybe because his brother and father are just so much worse. Like his new internet friends meets up with him irl because she clocks as not a weirdo, but then again he does drop the equivalent of $3000 on gacha rolls at the encouragement of said friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

See what I mean by "not equipped' is I mean she's not a good enough writer to pull this crap off. You don't raise the stakes with genocide and straight up experimentation on the dead and dying and then say; Oh they were just really really SAD. Having a message of forgiveness is fine if they were like your average cartoon villains not space Hitlers for godsakes.

Hmm counterpoint, it was good

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

Pray tell, rather than hammering on a story you think is imperfect, what are some other works that you prefer?

The original Avatar the last airbender knew what they were doing with this pretty good. Especially how they handled a pacifist dealing with a dictator.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Flopsy posted:

The original Avatar the last airbender knew what they were doing with this pretty good. Especially how they handled a pacifist dealing with a dictator.

...you mean how he pulled a magical power out of his rear end that allowed him to subdue the dictator without having to violate any of his own principles?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

...you mean how he pulled a magical power out of his rear end that allowed him to subdue the dictator without having to violate any of his own principles?

Not to do a whataboutism here, but Steven pulls a new power out of his rear end every other episode. At least Aang forshadowed this development by meeting with the lion turtle. And hell I'll take him permanently crippling the guy over killing him as a plot point. But at least he y'know ends up overthrown and in jail and nobody tries to paint his actions as a boo boo because he was upset.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 24, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's not really worse than a bad bon mot ending a thousands year-old, galaxy-wide dictatorship.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Sivart13 posted:

I apologize for my role in prolonging this discussion and ensuring this, the "Animation for Adults" thread, is one of the 1001 places on the internet where "Steven Universe" can be relitigated.

I'm new to this thread, I assume the intended topic of discussion is Andy Samberg's "Digman!"

Discuss.

Just watched the pilot. Not the funniest thing on earth but got some laughs out of me. Killer voice cast.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rand Brittain posted:

Freeza has realized the limits within which he can remain extremely evil without causing Goku to give a drat about it, and it's kind of hilarious.

This sounds amazing and really has me considering taking up watching Super on that concept alone.

Flopsy posted:

Not to do a whataboutism here, but Steven pulls a new power out of his rear end every other episode. At least Aang forshadowed this development by meeting with the lion turtle. And hell I'll take him permanently crippling the guy over killing him as a plot point. But at least he y'know ends up overthrown and in jail and nobody tries to paint his actions as a boo boo because he was upset.

Now I’ve watched like an episode like half a decade ago but I’m pretty sure it’s his belly button, yo.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 24, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I kinda hate the symbol animation style of Digman from what i've seen in the promos, but if the performances and gags are on point, I can get used to it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

Now I’ve watched like an episode like half a decade ago but I’m pretty sure it’s his belly button, yo.

Ngl this took me a second to process but I did laugh so kudos.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

Pray tell, rather than hammering on a story you think is imperfect, what are some other works that you prefer?

Without making my tired brain do a long list to figure it out, Bojack Horseman finale Did a decent enough job, and kind of surprised me, by having several characters just sort of move on and set up strong boundaries with Bojack. Hard to compare it to space war but it's what came to mind.

If we're going with kids shows Craig of the Creek is kind of neat with it going both ways. I sometimes see it randomly or watch a little of it or Apple and Onion as cotton candy for when my brain doesn't want murder, mysteries, inheritance drama or people making swords. They let a few enemies stay enemies while still pushing a lot of tolerance and forgiveness. It's also a lot easier to have a character redeemed when their crime was turning against a friend, breaking some toys and being friends with someone who got the main character grounded though.

Also, want to thank the goon who recommended Masameer County on Netflix. Had time to check out an episode and it is interesting. Some good visual jokes while being weird/trippy in a neat way. I might have liked it a little more if Netflix hadn't decided to show me the first episode of season 2 for some reason. "Wow, I guess we're doing kind of an In Medias Res thing and we'll get the know the characters along the way :)" until I remembered to make sure Netflix wasn't being stupid.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Warbird posted:

This sounds amazing and really has me considering taking up watching Super on that concept alone.

DB Super definitely has a lot of the old comedic Toriyama throughout it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

Then I strongly recommend you watch the new Broly movie "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" because that has Frieza at his most "I'm totally evil and completely upfront about it and yet somehow I'm still technically on the heroes side (technically!)" and it's great. I'd say it's the best Dragon Ball movie ever made, but then Super Super Hero came out and managed to top it, Dragon Ball has been on a real roll with movies lately and I'm hoping we get another one in the future.

secretly best girl posted:

DB Super definitely has a lot of the old comedic Toriyama throughout it.

Yup, and I for one welcome the return of Toriyama's silly side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yup, and I for one welcome the return of Toriyama's silly side.

I love that Toriyama introduces the Most Strongest Character In The Universe, Don't Even Try To Fight Him, has him be a thread for like 45 minutes, and then he spends the rest of Super's runtime basically just being Bulma's lovely cat.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fukkin what

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DragonBall was a comedy that turned more 'serious' over time, but it's honestly my favorite when it's more sitcom-like and low-stakes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

New clones just dropped

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1639447825535606784

Honestly not super on board with the new designs but I’ll come around. Oh baby look at those nipple pasties.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

Fukkin what

the first antagonist of db super and probably the #1 reason it became popular is beerus, the god of destruction

his job is to blow up planets so new ones can be born. not evil in itself, but he has no sense of proportionate response and the temperament of a particularly cranky housecat, so he reacts to most slights by exploding the planet he's standing on and going home in a sulk. the first arc has him almost do this to earth before he gets addicted to its food, and he eventually winds up cowed by bulma because he's not really used to people talking back to him

it should be noted that the original draft for beerus had his name as "virus" and his background as a super-evil god responsible for the saiyans' corruption and warlike culture. toriyama glanced at the notes, misread his name, and decided to rewrite him as a personified version of his favorite pet cat along with an entire alcohol-themed pantheon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbajqDtPhIo&t=46s

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the first antagonist of db super and probably the #1 reason it became popular is beerus, the god of destruction

his job is to blow up planets so new ones can be born. not evil in itself, but he has no sense of proportionate response and the temperament of a particularly cranky housecat, so he reacts to most slights by exploding the planet he's standing on and going home in a sulk. the first arc has him almost do this to earth before he gets addicted to its food, and he eventually winds up cowed by bulma because he's not really used to people talking back to him

it should be noted that the original draft for beerus had his name as "virus" and his background as a super-evil god responsible for the saiyans' corruption and warlike culture. toriyama glanced at the notes, misread his name, and decided to rewrite him as a personified version of his favorite pet cat along with an entire alcohol-themed pantheon

I'll also note that cat was an inspiration because he was both a Sphynx and the vet was baffled he was still alive after a severe bout of illness. Basically called the cat the devil and Toriyama ran with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Kitty!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

And just like stray cats, it kept coming back to the gang because they fed it once. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like in the Golden Frieza movie they're just like "uh huh, sure, have fun with that, we'll be over here eating pudding" and spend the movie doing exactly that literally just off-screen.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's a very cat thing. Take home some bar nachos sometime, cats loving love nacho cheese and sour cream. Easy best friend. Cats love good soft gooey food.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Warbird posted:

New clones just dropped

Honestly not super on board with the new designs but I’ll come around. Oh baby look at those nipple pasties.

Everyone’s concerned about Gandhi but I’m more worried about the apparent lack of Scudworth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw the leaked premiere, Scudworth is in it but Gandhi isn’t. Also it was 70% great 30% jokes about woke judgemental kids these days

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Without making my tired brain do a long list to figure it out, Bojack Horseman finale Did a decent enough job, and kind of surprised me, by having several characters just sort of move on and set up strong boundaries with Bojack. Hard to compare it to space war but it's what came to mind.

If we're going with kids shows Craig of the Creek is kind of neat with it going both ways. I sometimes see it randomly or watch a little of it or Apple and Onion as cotton candy for when my brain doesn't want murder, mysteries, inheritance drama or people making swords. They let a few enemies stay enemies while still pushing a lot of tolerance and forgiveness. It's also a lot easier to have a character redeemed when their crime was turning against a friend, breaking some toys and being friends with someone who got the main character grounded though.

Also, want to thank the goon who recommended Masameer County on Netflix. Had time to check out an episode and it is interesting. Some good visual jokes while being weird/trippy in a neat way. I might have liked it a little more if Netflix hadn't decided to show me the first episode of season 2 for some reason. "Wow, I guess we're doing kind of an In Medias Res thing and we'll get the know the characters along the way :)" until I remembered to make sure Netflix wasn't being stupid.

I'd also like to thank the recommendation of Masameer County. I've watched all of the 1st series and the movie (although not the Masameer Classics). Going from the english dub in the series to the original voice actors in the movie is pretty interesting (obviously it's meant to be the other way around - somehow I got the idea the movie took place between seasons of the new series) and it's really clear they really found a set of actors for the dub that sound like the original cast.

Also watched the first episode of Digman! and it's pretty great.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Saw the leaked premiere, Scudworth is in it but Gandhi isn’t. Also it was 70% great 30% jokes about woke judgemental kids these days

Yeah it sounded real old man yelling at clouds and kinda insuffrable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd also like to thank the recommendation of Masameer County. I've watched all of the 1st series and the movie (although not the Masameer Classics). Going from the english dub in the series to the original voice actors in the movie is pretty interesting (obviously it's meant to be the other way around - somehow I got the idea the movie took place between seasons of the new series) and it's really clear they really found a set of actors for the dub that sound like the original cast.

Also watched the first episode of Digman! and it's pretty great.

Yeah I looked it up and the production timeline is Masameer Classics ---> The Masameer Movie ---> Masameer County.

The Masameer County English dub is fantastic, and it's weird that Netflix isn't advertising it at all. I only found out about the show because it randomly popped up on one of the illegal streaming sites I frequent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The show introduces a very obvious Ghandi replacement, complete with the character basically repeating Ghandi's "I'm worried I can't live up to my original's legacy" bit word-for-word.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

mutantIke posted:

Everyone’s concerned about Gandhi but I’m more worried about the apparent lack of Scudworth

look closer at the saxaphone player

Warbird
May 23, 2012

And his fukkin huge areola

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Yeah it sounded real old man yelling at clouds and kinda insuffrable.

It was really annoying because the rest was legit really good. Hopefully it’s just confined to the premiere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Warbird posted:

New clones just dropped

looks like nothing bad will happen to a kennedy.

Escobarbarian posted:

i heard it was sorta reasonable with that with its framing but ill give it a shot when it comes out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJM1JtZ8lmQ

The incredible work this guy does. Worth the wait honestly.

Now to wait another seven years :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

Was about to post that, episode owns. Especially with headphones, the music, sfx, ambiance and voice acting all pop. There's a ton of details if you pause or rewatch too. The production value is beyond any animation I've seen in a long while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shindragon posted:

My god, has it really been six years between episodes? I guess quality really does take time, especially since it's basically a one man show besides the voice acting.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

unfortunately the creator of that likes to hang out with and record (now-deleted) podcast episodes with right-wing crank doug tennapel and one of the voices is/was a guy named kirbopher who has his own rap sheet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally finished S1 of Birdgirl (got access to HBO at last) and, is it just me or — this show just doesn’t seem very good.

It’s like it thinks it’s a lot funnier than it actually is. It wants some reflected Archer light and coasts on inherited Harvey Birdman energy but I’m not feeling it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neeksy posted:

unfortunately the creator of that likes to hang out with and record (now-deleted) podcast episodes with right-wing crank doug tennapel and one of the voices is/was a guy named kirbopher who has his own rap sheet.

Oh sorry, could you point me to an animator who is 7 degrees of separation from all problematic animation industry personnel?