Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Some neat art for the show replacing Ghost Game. I wonder what purpose the Vital Bracelet will serve in the show proper or if it'll get it's own BEMs? I might actually watch it, to be honest.

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1637896647073234944

So it’s not a Digimon series but they’re still using the Vital Bracelet and the main protagonist wears goggles. Interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a crazy idea: Don't replace Ghost Game and give us another 10 episodes to properly explain some of the outstanding questions!!!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
That new series is based on a live action gameshow that involves running from "Hunters" to win money, so the fitness angle of keeping the VB makes sense.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Some neat art for the show replacing Ghost Game. I wonder what purpose the Vital Bracelet will serve in the show proper or if it'll get it's own BEMs? I might actually watch it, to be honest.

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1637896647073234944

These are some intensely late 90s anime designs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I seriously don't get what Bandai's playing at. This absolutely screams that it was meant to be a Digimon series, with the VB still being there and them taking a Digimon manga artist to make the designs (both of which are true for Ghost Game too). Instead Digimon gets a novel that won't get to nearly as many people, and the VB is sold with a new anime that's unlikely to have as much pull as an established franchise.

But Digimon getting hosed over is nothing new, even when it's doing well in sales for once.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

These are some intensely late 90s anime designs.

That hair is not nearly spiky enough

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I seriously don't get what Bandai's playing at. This absolutely screams that it was meant to be a Digimon series, with the VB still being there and them taking a Digimon manga artist to make the designs (both of which are true for Ghost Game too).

Except for being based on an unrelated live action game show of course.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah, the VB hasn't been just for digimon for a while. That's still the biggest part but there's stuff from other franchises.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Golux posted:

Yeah, the VB hasn't been just for digimon for a while. That's still the biggest part but there's stuff from other franchises.

Yep, there's a Demon Slayer DiM Card after all. Bandai seems like they're trying to use the VB as a unifying merchandising platform, meaning that if people are pulled into VB stuff via any one particular anime or property then it also provides exposure to other brands, including Digimon. And Seekers is continuing to use VB Digivices and it's confirmed we're getting new DiM cards for it so that particular merchandising pathway is still on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New poster for the 02 movie, it’s called “The Beginning” and releases October 27th:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The tagline, underneath the date, says "Now, a new gate to adventure opens."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Man, it would be nice if I could have any positive expectations for it at all after the last 7 movies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

yeah, when's the Ghost Game movie!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

yeah, when's the Ghost Game movie!

A dangerous question to ask given Digimon's sterling track record for sequels.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not asking for a sequel, I'm asking for something on the level of Our War Game or the Tamers train movie!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

Man, it would be nice if I could have any positive expectations for it at all after the last 7 movies.

Positive expectations are impossible for a movie based on 02 alone.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not asking for a sequel, I'm asking for something on the level of Our War Game or the Tamers train movie!

I would enjoy that, but sadly I think that particular era of anime movies has more or less ended.

King of Solomon posted:

Positive expectations are impossible for a movie based on 02 alone.

The annoying thing is that 02 is absolutely ripe with possibilities worth exploring and its a setting dying for expansion and iteration. It's so full of things to build on! And given such a pregnant setting Tri killed off the 02 kids and ignored as much as they could get away with from the setting while DA:LEK engaged with the setting purely to murder it.

02 The Beginning is just not a promising prospect from any angle. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, but I have no hope for it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

I would enjoy that, but sadly I think that particular era of anime movies has more or less ended.

The annoying thing is that 02 is absolutely ripe with possibilities worth exploring and its a setting dying for expansion and iteration. It's so full of things to build on! And given such a pregnant setting Tri killed off the 02 kids and ignored as much as they could get away with from the setting while DA:LEK engaged with the setting purely to murder it.

02 The Beginning is just not a promising prospect from any angle. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, but I have no hope for it.

Yeah I don't agree with the idea that 02 is ripe with ideas worth exploring. The only thing a sequel movie really offers to that show is an opportunity to make right by characters not named Daisuke, and the movie isn't gonna do that. They will probably show the mega forms for Shakkoumon and Silphymon, but that's it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

02 is good. Daisuke is good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

02 is good. Daisuke is good.

nah

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
As a Kizuna and 02 liker, I'll remain excited. 👍

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

02 isn't great, but it has a lot of compelling setting stuff it could use, and Daisuke is good.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah I don't agree with the idea that 02 is ripe with ideas worth exploring. The only thing a sequel movie really offers to that show is an opportunity to make right by characters not named Daisuke, and the movie isn't gonna do that. They will probably show the mega forms for Shakkoumon and Silphymon, but that's it.

I love this post is literally pointing to some of the things 02 has that are great ideas worth exploring!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

02 isn't great, but it has a lot of compelling setting stuff it could use, and Daisuke is good.

I love this post is literally pointing to some of the things 02 has that are great ideas worth exploring!

Doing the absolute bare minimum and not screwing over their main cast again, great ideas worth exploring? I guess?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I had a huge crush on kari as a kid, this is literally all i remember of 02 (well that and like, kari goes to hell in one episode or something?)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

I had a huge crush on kari as a kid, this is literally all i remember of 02 (well that and like, kari goes to hell in one episode or something?)

More like Innsmouth, but yeah.

Definitely the most interesting episode of 02.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

Doing the absolute bare minimum and not screwing over their main cast again, great ideas worth exploring? I guess?

I suppose you could say that if you wanted, but this feels like an unbelievably uncharitable reading.

02 had a cast full of characters who were well defined and got into a lot of interesting plots and had really fascinating individual episodes and character moments, and it totally failed to convert and cash out because 02 got progressively messier and more incoherent as it went along. As a singular example take Miyako. Miyako is scatterbrained but brilliant, she's always doing something, she seems to know something about everything, and she also has episodes all about how she second guesses herself and her own character and her own commitment to the cause. She's best friends with Hikari despite being completely her opposite and there's a kind of mutual envy between the two of them which shows up in a couple of episodes. I would love to see any or all of that expanded on and explored, and yeah I guess you could call it "doing the absolute bare minimum and not screwing her over", but to me it honestly feels like phrasing it that way is implying there wasn't something there or they didn't do ANYTHING and I don't think that's fair.

And the entire main cast is like that, Iori is super reserved and a mix of old-fashioned, traditional, very lawful and organized, and sometimes naïve in a way that sets him apart. 02 Hikari seemed like she had genuine self-esteem issues and never really expressed herself honestly, 02 Takeru was all smiles and evenhanded and was the voice of experience and reason until the exact moment something set them off and then he was on the warpath, and the Dagomon episode suggested that whatever their relationship was might genuinely be unhealthy. I would like, no rather I'll say I would LOVE to see any or all of that built out on because all of this is the stuff that good characters are made of, and I'd love to see what happens to these characters and where they go.

Then you can add in all the other ideas 02 introduced and/or didn't get the time and focus to cook properly. There are Chosen Children all around the world? Kids with Digimon are a global phenomenon with literally hundreds if not thousands of them all over the world? That's kind of a wild thing to introduce, and I wonder what does that look like? On what merits were these people Chosen? We got the inception point for all of the leads from 99 in 02 and a little bit of an explanation on why it was them, but everyone else? In 02 proper they were basically just cameos, goofy one-off characters of the week, but there's so much more you could do with any them. What do they do? What exactly can they do? What does having a Digimon mean to them? And what exactly is going on in the broader setting where this is happened? Tri almost completely ignored that part of the setting and DA:LEK brought it around only to have more victims but I am curious to know more about how the world has changed from having Digimon as a global phenomenon. There's a ridiculous number of things to explore related to the simple idea of there being other kids with Digimon. Then we get the episode in Kyoto which explicitly ties Digimon to older spirituality and supernatural happenings, this was basically the inception point for that particular story strand that's continued to run through the series all the way to Survive and Ghost Game. Could we maybe get more of that in the context of Digimon Adventure's continuity? And of course there is Dagomon's ocean and the concept of there being possibly multiple Digital Worlds out there, you could very well use that as the starting point for any number of stories. Will they? Well I'm not betting on it.

Ultimately you aren't wrong, do more than the bare minimum and don't screw over your characters and suddenly the sky's the limit for a 02 story. Given that the show proper didn't go in depth on any of its broader cosmological ideas or provide a proper capstone to any of these characters I do think there's plenty of room to see any of these things further explored.

Now will they? Again, that's the real million dollar question and again I have absolutely no hope that's going to happen... But then again stranger things have happened, I guess we'll know in October.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

King of Solomon posted:

02 whips sorry haters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd like more exploration of Takeru's PTSD from when Angemon suicided against Devimon.

Give me more of this:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

I suppose you could say that if you wanted, but this feels like an unbelievably uncharitable reading.

02 had a cast full of characters who were well defined and got into a lot of interesting plots and had really fascinating individual episodes and character moments, and it totally failed to convert and cash out because 02 got progressively messier and more incoherent as it went along. As a singular example take Miyako. Miyako is scatterbrained but brilliant, she's always doing something, she seems to know something about everything, and she also has episodes all about how she second guesses herself and her own character and her own commitment to the cause. She's best friends with Hikari despite being completely her opposite and there's a kind of mutual envy between the two of them which shows up in a couple of episodes. I would love to see any or all of that expanded on and explored, and yeah I guess you could call it "doing the absolute bare minimum and not screwing her over", but to me it honestly feels like phrasing it that way is implying there wasn't something there or they didn't do ANYTHING and I don't think that's fair.

And the entire main cast is like that, Iori is super reserved and a mix of old-fashioned, traditional, very lawful and organized, and sometimes naïve in a way that sets him apart. 02 Hikari seemed like she had genuine self-esteem issues and never really expressed herself honestly, 02 Takeru was all smiles and evenhanded and was the voice of experience and reason until the exact moment something set them off and then he was on the warpath, and the Dagomon episode suggested that whatever their relationship was might genuinely be unhealthy. I would like, no rather I'll say I would LOVE to see any or all of that built out on because all of this is the stuff that good characters are made of, and I'd love to see what happens to these characters and where they go.

Then you can add in all the other ideas 02 introduced and/or didn't get the time and focus to cook properly. There are Chosen Children all around the world? Kids with Digimon are a global phenomenon with literally hundreds if not thousands of them all over the world? That's kind of a wild thing to introduce, and I wonder what does that look like? On what merits were these people Chosen? We got the inception point for all of the leads from 99 in 02 and a little bit of an explanation on why it was them, but everyone else? In 02 proper they were basically just cameos, goofy one-off characters of the week, but there's so much more you could do with any them. What do they do? What exactly can they do? What does having a Digimon mean to them? And what exactly is going on in the broader setting where this is happened? Tri almost completely ignored that part of the setting and DA:LEK brought it around only to have more victims but I am curious to know more about how the world has changed from having Digimon as a global phenomenon. There's a ridiculous number of things to explore related to the simple idea of there being other kids with Digimon. Then we get the episode in Kyoto which explicitly ties Digimon to older spirituality and supernatural happenings, this was basically the inception point for that particular story strand that's continued to run through the series all the way to Survive and Ghost Game. Could we maybe get more of that in the context of Digimon Adventure's continuity? And of course there is Dagomon's ocean and the concept of there being possibly multiple Digital Worlds out there, you could very well use that as the starting point for any number of stories. Will they? Well I'm not betting on it.

Ultimately you aren't wrong, do more than the bare minimum and don't screw over your characters and suddenly the sky's the limit for a 02 story. Given that the show proper didn't go in depth on any of its broader cosmological ideas or provide a proper capstone to any of these characters I do think there's plenty of room to see any of these things further explored.

Now will they? Again, that's the real million dollar question and again I have absolutely no hope that's going to happen... But then again stranger things have happened, I guess we'll know in October.

I'm willing to grant that this is basically all true, even though I don't necessarily agree with your takes on the new movies. I mostly just find it very difficult to be charitable towards 02 because of all of this, and I see no real reason to expect the movie to do anything else. It will be a movie about Daisuke, Ken might get some love because Wormmon is a component of Veemon's 02 evolution line, but that's about it. I'd love to see them actually shove Daisuke to the side to actually do right by their main cast and make Valkyriemon's appearance feel earned, but you understand why I don't think that's going to happen.

Realistically, a single movie's runtime probably wouldn't be enough to actually do right by Miyako, Hikari, Takeru, and Iori, to say nothing of the extended cast or some of the open questions you raised in this post, and that itself is sad. If we're lucky they'll pay off the Dark Ocean, but I'm just not feeling lucky, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think 02 is a mess but it's an enjoyable mess with a cast of 4/6 really good characters when they're allowed to actually shine and some of the more memorable villains we've ever gotten (which does not include the actual big bad)

The main issue I have is that this is the same team of Last Evolution which missed in every way the point of the franchise and I see no reason to believe they've learned in the meanwhile. I hope I'm wrong and I'll watch it for sure though.

At the very least, we should get a new Omegamon Imperialdramon, I like that one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think 02 is a mess but it's an enjoyable mess with a cast of 4/6 really good characters when they're allowed to actually shine and some of the more memorable villains we've ever gotten (which does not include the actual big bad)

The main issue I have is that this is the same team of Last Evolution which missed in every way the point of the franchise and I see no reason to believe they've learned in the meanwhile. I hope I'm wrong and I'll watch it for sure though.

At the very least, we should get a new Omegamon Imperialdramon, I like that one.

Unless it's a Dinobee line I don't want it (it won't be :negative: )

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still think there's potential in doing something set in the Epilogue focused on the Next Generation kids, if for nothing else than the fact that one could go hog wild on the lines for their partners(since except for Hikari's son having a Plotmon they all have only Baby stages for partners)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

I'm willing to grant that this is basically all true, even though I don't necessarily agree with your takes on the new movies.

This I find wild, because that's not my take on the new movie. My ACTUAL take on the new movies? Here's my honest take on 02 The Beginning:

quote:

I mostly just find it very difficult to be charitable towards 02 because of all of this, and I see no real reason to expect the movie to do anything else. It will be a movie about Daisuke, Ken might get some love because Wormmon is a component of Veemon's 02 evolution line, but that's about it. I'd love to see them actually shove Daisuke to the side to actually do right by their main cast and make Valkyriemon's appearance feel earned, but you understand why I don't think that's going to happen.

Realistically, a single movie's runtime probably wouldn't be enough to actually do right by Miyako, Hikari, Takeru, and Iori, to say nothing of the extended cast or some of the open questions you raised in this post, and that itself is sad. If we're lucky they'll pay off the Dark Ocean, but I'm just not feeling lucky, I guess.

This was LITERALLY my point. I have exactly 0 reason to believe that ANYTHING I brought up about 02 and what it was and what it wasn't and what it could have been is going to be in the new movie. I have Zero expectations for the film after Tri and DA:LEK. I can list a dozen and a half cool things from 02 I'd love to see more of, I can unspool tons of interesting character beats from the show that weren't pulled together and completed, and I seriously, absolutely doubt a single goddamn one of them is going to be in this 02 Movie.

And that really does suck because 02 had a ton of interesting ideas and characters that it did wrong by.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

This I find wild, because that's not my take on the new movie. My ACTUAL take on the new movies? Here's my honest take on 02 The Beginning:

This was LITERALLY my point. I have exactly 0 reason to believe that ANYTHING I brought up about 02 and what it was and what it wasn't and what it could have been is going to be in the new movie. I have Zero expectations for the film after Tri and DA:LEK. I can list a dozen and a half cool things from 02 I'd love to see more of, I can unspool tons of interesting character beats from the show that weren't pulled together and completed, and I seriously, absolutely doubt a single goddamn one of them is going to be in this 02 Movie.

And that really does suck because 02 had a ton of interesting ideas and characters that it did wrong by.

To be clear, I don't have the negative views of Tri and DA:LEK that you do. That's all I meant by that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

To be clear, I don't have the negative views of Tri and DA:LEK that you do. That's all I meant by that.

Ah, I misunderstood then. Apologies for that.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I will admit that despite not caring for Kizuna I'm looking forward to the 02 movie. It seems largely to be a way to bridge the state of the OG setting at the end of Kizuna to the how it is in the 02 epilogue. Since "everybody loses their partner in adulthood" obviously doesn't gel with that. It's messy in execution because they don't want to erase the work the newer staff did for Tri and thus have to add on top of it to try to make everything fit.

https://twitter.com/RavelMonte/status/1633272060838391808

Switching topics to Ghost Game, please read this mildly depressing/funny thread about the series composer:
https://twitter.com/RavelMonte/status/1638947493093466112
Addendum to the above thread about Ruri:
https://twitter.com/RavelMonte/status/1639066292224155651

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

02 movie teaser:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sWHZqj79gAU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with Ghost Game ending soon, what have been some of your favourite episodes from this series?

The first two episodes with Clockmon & Mummymon were a strong start.

Ep 8 - GoKarting for your life was good too.

Ep 21 - Spider Trap house with Arukenimon from 02.

Ep 37 - Sludge Zombies. RIP animals.

Ruli vs Piedmon/Myotismon episodes.

The frozen power plant episode.

But more importantly, what were some of the more gruesome/disturbing deaths we had?

The man burning to death was intense and unexpected.

Egg digimon eating people and turning them to sand.

The scientist just getting thrown into the wall.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anytime Jellymon comes up with a scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Most Jellymon episodes in general (I’m really going to miss that little gremlin and her neurotic servant)

Also while Eri Karan is still the gold standard for me Ruli was pretty decent as far as female leads in Digimon go.

Hopefully it won’t be too long now before they give us a new series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 25, 2023