Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hobbesmaster posted:

the NFL was a special type of “non profit” created for them or maybe MLB? basically the overarching administrative body of a pro sports league could operate as a “pass through” entity to the teams making up the league.

thats not really the same stunt with charities. it was more like an S Corp

same ballpark as the impression i got when i visited america for the first time in the 90s was "non profit" just means "tax break" it doesnt mean "charity" in any way

hot take i know, but i was 20 so i felt like idk stevie nicks or whoever

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but also lest we forget, i dont think elon is aware of any of this

any post he makes thats longer than "concerning" or "looking into it" is probably copypasted from reddit or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the nonprofit still exists and owns the LP (limited partnership). it seems to me that the nonprofit takes "donations" (but only from extremely specific people, i.e. investors) and then distributes that money to the llc, which the investors then get equity in alongside employees, who get stock like a more normal startup

the wiki explanation of it is pretty good:

quote:

In the United States, the limited partnership organization is most common among film production companies and real estate investment projects, or in types of businesses that focus on a single or limited-term project. They are also useful in "labor-capital" partnerships, where one or more financial backers prefer to contribute money or resources while the other partner performs the actual work. In such situations, liability is the driving concern behind the choice of limited partnership status. The limited partnership is also attractive to firms wishing to provide shares to many individuals without the additional tax liability of a corporation. Private equity companies almost exclusively use a combination of general and limited partners for their investment funds. Well-known limited partnerships include Enterprise Products and Blackstone Group (both of which are public companies), and Bloomberg L.P. (a private company).

Before 2001, the limited liability enjoyed by limited partners was contingent upon their refraining from taking any active role in the management of the firm. However, Section 303 of the Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act (if adopted by a state legislature) eliminates the so-called "control rule" with respect to personal liability for entity obligations and brings limited partners into parity with LLC members, LLP partners and corporate shareholders.

The 2001 amendments to the Uniform Limited Partnership Act (to the extent the amendments are adopted by state legislature) also permitted limited partnerships to become limited liability limited partnerships in states that adopt the change. Under this form, debts of a limited liability limited partnership are solely the responsibility of the partnership, thereby removing general-partner liability for partnership obligations. This change was made in response to the common practice of naming a limited-liability entity as a 1% general partner that controlled the limited partnership and organizing the managers as limited partners. This practice granted a general partner de facto limited liability under the partnership structure.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

On Thursday, The Information reported that Shivon Zillis, an OpenAI board member, had stepped down. Zillis, who gave birth to Musk’s twins, did not respond to requests for comment.
there it is lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
she's the nuralink one too, i think

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

i hope so, itd be double sad if that fuckhead who relies on goverment handouts so much had even more children to not give a poo poo about

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

she is but you'd never know it from her website lol https://www.shivonzilis.com/about

that mugshot though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh poo poo, she does a thing at u of t

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oh poo poo, she does a thing at u of t

you should release an attack chimp on her

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

technically twitter is a nonprofit as well

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

There's a part in one of the lesser known Werner Herzog documentaries (about the internet or something) where he interviews Musk. He just kind rambles on incoherently about the threat of AI and his fear for humanity from AI. Then he goes all quiet and like, stares off into the distance and seems to choke up or something. Maybe shits his pants, idk, it's unclear.

Anyway the point is that after watching that, it's extremely clear he really believes this nonsense. He's deeply deeply stupid and pisses his pants over a chatbot that churns out writing on the level of a C+ highschool student who did the assignment the night before it was due.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

you should release an attack chimp on her

i think shakma retired. also, was a baboon

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i think elon should do another presentation of the tesla robot if he's so worried about all the attention openai is getting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maybe he could announce they've hooked it up to tesla's gpt engine and show the results

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

i think shakma retired. also, was a baboon

shakma boers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mrmcd posted:

There's a part in one of the lesser known Werner Herzog documentaries (about the internet or something) where he interviews Musk. He just kind rambles on incoherently about the threat of AI and his fear for humanity from AI. Then he goes all quiet and like, stares off into the distance and seems to choke up or something. Maybe shits his pants, idk, it's unclear.

Anyway the point is that after watching that, it's extremely clear he really believes this nonsense. He's deeply deeply stupid and pisses his pants over a chatbot that churns out writing on the level of a C+ highschool student who did the assignment the night before it was due.

this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_and_Behold,_Reveries_of_the_Connected_World

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mrmcd posted:

i don't doubt he believes it because it's one of the very few consistent things he's said throughout the time i've been aware of him as a public figure. it's also clear to me that he intends to try and preempt this by having control over whatever ai he thinks will become dominant by creating it first, or at least by funding the people that will do that (though i think he would prefer some sort of control because that's just the type of person he is)

as a result i can see openai becoming successful without him being simultaneously: a big blow to his ego, a technological competitor (because he does not know the difference between a predictive LLM and, say, FSD), and also a potential threat to humanity (because he has believed this for a very long time and cannot explain how it works). of course, that's all silly and easily explicable, he's a loving moron

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
musks fear of ai comes from the same place as all his other ideas: the lovely sf novels he read in the 1980s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FMguru posted:

musks fear of ai comes from the same place as all his other ideas: the lovely sf novels he read in the 1980s
neuromancer was a nice guy

helped out case, gave the rastas a ton of money

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nessus posted:

neuromancer was a nice guy

helped out case, gave the rastas a ton of money

wait, wait, gave money to rastas? i think we know what lonny fears

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

musk has the energy of the tessier-ashpools, trapped in their degenerating cycles in a gilded, dilapidated palace

except it's twitter hq and instead of a ninja some dudes gotta stands guard while he pees

if you told me he's really 3musk i'd believe it because he looks like a pale copy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agile Vector posted:

musk has the energy of the tessier-ashpools, trapped in their degenerating cycles in a gilded, dilapidated palace

except it's twitter hq and instead of a ninja some dudes gotta stands guard while he pees

if you told me he's really 3musk i'd believe it because he looks like a pale copy

full blown habsboergers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

FAUXTON posted:

full blown habsboergers

:eyepop:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FAUXTON posted:

full blown habsboergers

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

FAUXTON posted:

full blown habsboergers

:five:

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Another good one in the wild in response to the hiding checkmark

he flinched and everybody saw it and they're doubling down its great

seems inaccurate tho, iirc the idiot who descended from technocratic russian fascists doesn't have custody or access to his kids?

the only people calling him daddy are the poo poo garglers on twitter who want seen pies to notice them

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

FAUXTON posted:

shakma boers

lol

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

i am a moron posted:

PKD was insanely insane and also knew the score. I wish he could’ve kept up his peak output longer or been given more time to work out his mental health.

Totally out of the loop here - who is PKD?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DX24TB1 posted:

author phillip k dick

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

author phillip k dick

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

author phillip k dick

Philip K Dick my balls!

hmm wait a sec

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Expo70 posted:

the only people calling him daddy are the poo poo garglers on twitter who want seen pies to notice them

i think thats meant to be the kids he has with brines talking to each other. its loving weird and creepy but still

e: lol not changing that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beeftweeter posted:

i think thats meant to be the kids he has with brines talking to each other. its loving weird and creepy but still

e: lol not changing that

woman smells like a roll of pickles

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Philip K Dick my balls!

hmm wait a sec

philip kill dick

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

DX24TB1 posted:

clearly it's Paul Keens-Douglas, a renowned caribbean comedian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79L_nZkHcYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

powerwall chat reminded me of someone figuring out they were pretty easy to hack into wirelessly, and could very likely be issued a series of commands that would lead to a thermal runaway

i can think of a way you might be able to do this in the commissioning phase if you were there on-site for a couple hours during strong sunlight with a large enough PV system and kept doing stuff in the commissioning interface well after you got confirmation that it was working, so i think that is probably possible if you can get into some of the backend commands and the specific system and sunlight intensity is good enough.

i don't think this is a tesla-specific thing though. like odds of someone knowing you have a battery backup and finding a way to intercept a wifi signal (these can also be ethernet instead of wifi), and then hacking into it and then getting access to backend commands or whatever, absurd scenario in general that i don't think most companies would even consider, i bet it's possible to do with other battery backups of the same battery chemistry

fermun fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 25, 2023