Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Space Jam posted:

Stop your grinnin and drop your linen, we suit up in an hour.

We got nukes, knives, sharp sticks..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Updated discord link:

https://discord.gg/zcWRnvdN

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Was only able to play for an hour but that was fun stuff

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah good times
:discourse:

We didn't play the one map that I actually remembered lol
I think a lot of those maps are new for the re-release

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah thanks to the folks who joined. We’ll do another soon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I had a blast, thanks everyone for playing! Hopefully we'll get even more people onboard for the next one. :hfive:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This 24 year old game made me scream lol

During the first marine level after the first encounter I turned on my image enhancer and heard an alien, but it had no motion tracker so I shut it off in the pitch black. Saw the thing was near and fired and it was RIGHT IN FRONT of me

Such a great game

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

Hell yes. A Terminator game built around that setup would be incredible

My vision for it is probably less hiding and more running, where the items you craft and discover slow it down rather than scare it away and the idea is to make it through to the next area/level (police station, factory, etc.) and you have to use the environment in clever ways. Maybe add a few vehicle chases to break things up a little.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

My vision for it is probably less hiding and more running, where the items you craft and discover slow it down rather than scare it away and the idea is to make it through to the next area/level (police station, factory, etc.) and you have to use the environment in clever ways. Maybe add a few vehicle chases to break things up a little.

Escalation. You disabled the T-800? Congrats, you’ve got a shape-shifting T-1000 on your tail now :getin:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

How does it work? What all has it created? Where does it come from? How do you counter it? Etc.?

Just like Xenos, Engineers were killed by it, too. Any knowledge you have about the goo can be applied moreso to Xenomorphs, with more unknowable things attached to the goo.

I'm quoting from 8 pages back but gently caress it:

The black-God-Cum-Chaos-Goo is just as unknowable as the Aliens/Queen, all of that is true, but the problem is it doesn't have any character. I don't find anything interesting about the goo and I definitely don't give a poo poo as to where a bioweapon came from. What I do find interesting about the goo is what David does with it. The Xenomorph has character. It IS a character: it's an elegant sleek, stealthy, huge and fast penis; it's moves in creepy ways and has the greatest visual design in all of film. It's a villain. Black cum has none of that interest behind it, it's just a prop in the film; a thing. Just like how I don't give a poo poo as to how Luke and Vader made their lightsabers or what they're made from; I'm only glad they have them to have sword fights with. The goo is David's lightsaber, and that's all it needs to be.

If anyone here plays games and plays Dead Space, I find it to be the same true for the Necromorphs and the Marker. The Marker itself has a neat design and it has 2001-Monolith like properties, but I don't give a single gently caress about how it creates Necromorphs I just care that it does because those make the game really interesting and fun.

I guess you can argue the goo is like the Monolith or the Marker, but it's never presented in such a grandiose manner in Prometheus/Covenant and it has basically no build up. It's not ominous, it just... is.

So, I'm not really surprised no one cares about the goo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Well the complaint at the head of that reply chain is specifically about unknowability and mystery, as though the goo constitutes some kind of definitive mystery-spoiling Answer to anything.

Obviously, the goo is a prop and not a character by default, and when it's onscreen you want to see what people do with it and what happens when it interacts and intermixes with actual characters. However, the same is true of, for example, xenomorph eggs. Alien would be a pretty boring movie if they just showed us some ominous shots of the cargo in the derelict's interior and left things at that!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
That's the funny thing about the goo, isn't it. How its mystery almost entirely derives from how ineptly written and presented it is rather than feeling like an intended feature. Fitting since its whole existence as a prop/plot device is a microcosm for Prometheus's existence as a movie: it's meant to provide an origin for the xenomorphs, but it just ends up raising as many questions that didn't need to be asked as it (attempts to) answer questions that didn't need to be answered.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doctor Bishop posted:

That's the funny thing about the goo, isn't it. How its mystery almost entirely derives from how ineptly written and presented it is rather than feeling like an intended feature. Fitting since its whole existence as a prop/plot device is a microcosm for Prometheus's existence as a movie: it's meant to provide an origin for the xenomorphs, but it just ends up raising as many questions that didn't need to be asked as it (attempts to) answer questions that didn't need to be answered.

However, the black goo doesn’t provide an origin for the alien guys.

The goo provides an origin for the black fungus, and - by extension - the white creatures referred to in promotional materials as ‘neomorphs’.

The origin of the ‘xenomorphs’ remains entirely obscure in the films, as in Shelley’s Frankenstein (aka The Modern Prometheus):

“With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.”

As you can see, the space between Frankenstein collecting “the instruments of life” and the creation of the monster is entirely blank. In Covenant, likewise, we have zero clue as to how David has managed to ‘grow’ a half-dozen egglike things. He just has ‘instruments of life’.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Well the complaint at the head of that reply chain is specifically about unknowability and mystery, as though the goo constitutes some kind of definitive mystery-spoiling Answer to anything.

For me the Goo itself isn’t the problem with “answering” anything about the Alien (something that didn’t need answering in the first place but that’s along the same vein as “the Space Jockey didn’t need explaining”), it’s how it was handled.

It takes a creature implied to be very old (based on its presence in a ship intended to be ancient) and and with the potential to be lurking anywhere in the dark corners of space (because who knows how many more ancient ships there are or even if they originate with those ships, the creatures could be anywhere) and reduces it down to “an android made it, 20 years before the events of the first movie, and they’re only located in places the android personally went”. It’s reductive and makes the Alien less interesting and compelling.

An android engaging in an act of creation, and in doing so creating a monster to kill his creators is a cool premise, and I’m even fine with “the goo can make Xenomorphs” (although I’d prefer not knowing where they came from - even the old 90s Dark Horse comics were smart enough to intentionally dance around that topic, even if they hosed around with the Space Jockey with, uh, questionable results). But what we got in Covenant was reductive and lame, and there’s good reasons why the franchise’s ancillary materials immediately started walking it back. Just like Prometheus and the Space Jockey, it’s an example of taking a great sci-fi horror idea and then shoehorning Alien franchise stuff into it to not-great result, in my opinion.

This is all old hat though, I’m confident we’ve talked about it before.

In a sense it’s comparable to what ‘Aliens’ did to the xenomorph - when it came out (and in the years since), fans of the creature from ‘Alien’ weren’t thrilled with the sequel taking the creature and saying “yeah they’re giant space ants”. It’s reductive and makes the Alien less interesting (even if it keeps them scary, it’s just a different kind of scary).

The difference is, ‘Aliens’ has a great and memorable script, well-acted and diverse and memorable characters, a great soundtrack, great direction, and fantastic action and effects to elevate it and get even the most skeptical ‘Alien’ fans (nevermind general audiences) in on the roller-coaster and keep them engaged before they can later step back and say “hey wait a second” when it comes to their favorite monster.

Covenant has maybe 1.5 of those things (Michael Fassbender, and good directing).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 26, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

It takes a creature implied to be very old (based on its presence in a ship intended to be ancient) and and with the potential to be lurking anywhere in the dark corners of space (because who knows how many more ancient ships there are or even if they originate with those ships, the creatures could be anywhere) and reduces it down to “an android made it, 20 years before the events of the first movie, and they’re only located in places the android personally went”. It’s reductive and makes the Alien less interesting and compelling.

The black aliens could not be lurking anywhere in space because they are specifically human-alien hybrids. The little spiders that create them aren’t capable of space travel, and there’s little motivation for anyone to transport them anywhere.

Moreover, distances in space are massive and the aliens aren’t magical creatures. Unless carefully preserved, they would not survive for any significant amount of time in the closed environment of a space-ship. And, in order to actually reach the surface of a planet, the spaceship would have to land - which would be tricky if the crew is dead.

Space is actually pretty big! If Jokey is found only a few months away from Earth, his homeworld’s presumably not terribly far away at all.

In other words, it’s actually hugely unlikely that the ‘xenomorph’ spiders would ever spread far beyond their planet of origin. It would require a very specific set of circumstances - like, for example, a dude deliberately setting out to ‘uplift’ humanity by distributing as many spiders to their worlds as he can.

You’re more likely to run into a bear on Pluto.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah the xenomorph is pointedly NOT old. The derelict looks quite old, and the eggs found in its bay may or may not be old, but the xenomorph itself is what you get when you combine a particular foreign catalyst with a human being.

It would be pretty weird if there were just identical eggs with identical effects upon exposure to carbon-based primates salted randomly across the galaxy. If we instead take those specific eggs as an indication of some GENERAL cosmic hostility, some violent principle inherent in life and reproduction such that we should fear running afoul of it wherever in space we go, well, we get Prometheus.

In fact, try this take on for size: since the goo just breaks down and recombines life at an accelerated pace, it's precisely a sign that something as awful as the xenomorph is bound to evolve naturally even without David's help, and so we should fear every ecosystem we encounter - especially our own.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 26, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well yes the Xenomorph as we see it is the result of human interaction, but the eggs and basic framework and the creature it produces are implied to be old and potentially anywhere. Covenant reduces it down to “an android deliberately made that framework 20 years ago, and they’re only located where he personally went”

This feels dangerously close to semantics.

Also it’s worth pointing out that when ‘Alien’ came out, we didn’t know that the Xenomorph was in any way affected by the host - it was just the creature that popped out of potentially whoever or whatever got facehugged, and that’s just what it looked like. James Cameron tossed around the idea of Aliens looking like their hosts, but it wasn’t until the third movie that we saw it in practice. Based on the first movie it was very easy to conclude “this is just what Aliens look like”, meaning the Xenomorph could very well have been very old, human involvement or not.

Yes it’s very easy to walk it back, and as mentioned other sources have done so.

I agree with the idea of general cosmic hostility and I’m totally fine with that, it just didn’t have to neuter the xenomorph to do it. Make the galaxy full of weird horrors and goo-monsters and who knows what else, just don’t reduce the scope and scale of the Xenomorph in the process. That’s the problem.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 26, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lots of things are "potentially anywhere", yet are not anywhere at all.

Like, even taking all of the films into account, it's exceedingly unlikely that that spiders are on more than a dozen planet(oid)s.

The only film to imply the alien spiders are ubiquitous is... AVP1, in which racist ancient-alien hillbillies have distributed them to remote planets for use as target practice.

(You may have noticed that, in Alien, the eggs are buried in some kind of temple/cave on the shittiest moon - actually implying that they're quite rare.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 26, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Alien is one of my favorite movies and I like it. It’s kind of scary in many ways.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Alien is one of my favorite movies and I like it. It’s kind of scary in many ways.

:hmmyes:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
:hmmyes:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The thing about it, though, is it's not just cool it's also good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

feedmyleg posted:

The thing about it, though, is it's not just cool it's also good

Hmm, yes, this framework is an interesting one.

Alien, Aliens, Alien Isolation - Cool AND Good
Alien3 - Good but not Cool
Prometheus - Cool but not Good
Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant - neither Cool nor Good

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Hmm, yes, this framework is an interesting one.

Alien, Aliens, Alien Isolation - Cool AND Good
Alien3 - Good but not Cool
Prometheus - Cool but not Good
Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant - neither Cool nor Good

I find it extremely hard to argue with this logic.

I was going to argue that 'Alien3' was cool (the Assembly Cut is tits), but wiping out 3/4 of your surviving cast during the opening credits is not cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The black aliens could not be lurking anywhere in space because they are specifically human-alien hybrids.
He's clearly referring to lurking facehugger eggs or active colonies of any facehugger-derived acid blood monster.

The little spiders that create them aren’t capable of space travel, and there’s little motivation for anyone to transport them anywhere.
Weyland Yutani disagrees. More importantly, as you pointed out, we have only seen one alien form. We know how the way the alien-human hybrid's behaviour ended up less than subtle, but we have no idea how the other hybrids do.

Moreover, distances in space are massive and the aliens aren’t magical creatures. Unless carefully preserved, they would not survive for any significant amount of time in the closed environment of a space-ship.
Ignoring Prometheus/Covenant implied retcons, everything about the setting and atmosphere of Alien implies the derelict was Very Old, which implies the eggs can survive indefinitely. Even if we pretend that the ship is not supposed to be hundreds if not thousands of years old, minimum egg survivability is however long they were there before the Nostromo found them + 57 years because otherwise there'd have been nothing left to infect the colonists in 2179 with.

And, in order to actually reach the surface of a planet, the spaceship would have to land - which would be tricky if the crew is dead.
Again ignoring Prometheus/Covenant and related retcons, the entire premise of the film Alien relies on this having happened. I could go on about autopilots etc. but there's no need since, again, if this can't happen then the whole pre-retcon franchise doesn't exist.

Space is actually pretty big! If Jokey is found only a few months away from Earth, his homeworld’s presumably not terribly far away at all.
Time is meaningless without knowing speed. The closest star system is four lightyears away so we know they have FTL, without further info "months away" could be the other side of the galaxy. I forget if Zeta or Epsilon Reticuli are mentioned in Alien directly or if it's later EU, but assuming the former then LV-426 is 40 light years away and the Nostromo encountered it on the trip back from a planet 60 lightyears away. Still well within our stellar neighbourhood and less than 0.1% of the diameter of the galaxy, but if humanity is performing /commercial/ (and therefore, theoretically, profitable) mining runs 60 lightyears out less than 100 years from the date of this post, with a ship hauling a completely full ore processor taking less than 18 months for the return trip, what on earth makes you think the millennia-old starship must be from right next door? And even if it is: 40 light years * 1000 years = 40,000 light years - the Nostromo could reach the galactic core in that time. If the ship is millennia old then that's plenty of time for the aliens (by which, again, we mean any combination of facehuggers, eggs, or active colonies of any facehugger-derived acid blood monster) to have piggybacked assorted civilisations to and from who knows where.

In other words, it’s actually hugely unlikely that the ‘xenomorph’ spiders would ever spread far beyond their planet of origin. It would require a very specific set of circumstances - like, for example, a dude deliberately setting out to ‘uplift’ humanity by distributing as many spiders to their worlds as he can.

You’re more likely to run into a bear on Pluto.
If Alien is a film about finding a perfectly preserved bear skeleton on Pluto, Covenant is the unasked for prequel set 6 months beforehand where a sad robot launches the British natural history museum into space because reasons.

------------

I know being deliberately contrarian is your "thing" but this gish gallop of trivially disprovable bullshit is genuinely beneath you.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 26, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Splicer posted:

I forget if Zeta or Epsilon Reticuli are mentioned in Alien directly or if it's later EU

They do mention it outright in Alien, IIRC, when awoken from cryosleep and checking out the message.

Which reminds me, isn't there some in-universe time fuckery going on with the FTL technology? Something like time dilation becoming inverted when you exceed C. Maybe not exactly that, but I recall some blurb maybe in the USCM Technical Manual that uses some technobabble to account for the timeframes around which the films operate.

quote:

If Alien is a film about finding a perfectly preserved bear skeleton on Pluto, Covenant is the unasked for prequel set 6 months beforehand where a sad robot launches the British natural history museum into space because reasons.

Nice one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I find it extremely hard to argue with this logic.

I was going to argue that 'Alien3' was cool (the Assembly Cut is tits), but wiping out 3/4 of your surviving cast during the opening credits is not cool.
That's why it's good but not cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Time is meaningless without knowing speed. The closest star system is four lightyears away so we know they have FTL, without further info "months away" could be the other side of the galaxy. I forget if Zeta or Epsilon Reticuli are mentioned in Alien directly or if it's later EU, but assuming the former then LV-426 is 40 light years away and the Nostromo encountered it on the trip back from a planet 60 lightyears away. Still well within our stellar neighbourhood and less than 0.1% of the diameter of the galaxy, but if humanity is performing /commercial/ (and therefore, theoretically, profitable) mining runs 60 lightyears out less than 100 years from the date of this post, with a ship hauling a completely full ore processor taking less than 18 months for the return trip, what on earth makes you think the millennia-old starship must be from right next door? And even if it is: 40 light years * 1000 years = 40,000 light years - the Nostromo could reach the galactic core in that time. If the ship is millenia old then that's plenty of time for the aliens (by which, again, we mean any combination of facehuggers, eggs, or active colonies of any facehugger-derived acid blood monster) to have piggybacked assorted civilisations to and from who knows where.
Interestingly there are two Dark Horse comics that go into this - one is literally called "The Theory of Alien Propagation" and breaks down the mechanisms that could lead to proliferation of the Alien throughout the galaxy, and one called "Aliens: Incubation" provides a practical example of it playing out.

Funnily enough, "Incubation" was originally written as the prequel story to the first 'Batman vs Aliens' crossover but was reprinted as a standalone story because it doesn't reference Batman at all.

Also if anyone is interested in distances and timescales and the like in the Alien universe, this is the closest thing to an "official" breakdown out there (or at least, it's the one the Powers That Be has treated as official for like 15 years):
https://alientimeline.wordpress.com/

I'm generally not thrilled to link it because the author is a bit of a chode, but it's very meticulously researched.

Mister Speaker posted:

Which reminds me, isn't there some in-universe time fuckery going on with the FTL technology? Something like time dilation becoming inverted when you exceed C. Maybe not exactly that, but I recall some blurb maybe in the USCM Technical Manual that uses some technobabble to account for the timeframes around which the films operate.
You might be thinking about how the cryosleep tubes are meant to alter the aging process of occupants who would otherwise be affected by FTL travel, or something like that. I can't quite remember the specifics of it or even where it shows up (could be the USCM Tech Manual) but I'll ask around on another forum I'm on.

Edit-- just posted on another forum, we'll see what happens.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 26, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alien 3 assembly cut is extremely good, but yeah, it's not cool. Although part of me does kinda like how they just wiped out all the fan favourite survivors from Aliens to brutally crash the franchise back to its bleak uncaring roots. The galaxy does not care if you are a main character or a fan favourite, the galaxy is cruel.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baronjutter posted:

Alien 3 assembly cut is extremely good, but yeah, it's not cool. Although part of me does kinda like how they just wiped out all the fan favourite survivors from Aliens to brutally crash the franchise back to its bleak uncaring roots. The galaxy does not care if you are a main character or a fan favourite, the galaxy is cruel.

That's a good take on a creative decision I'm still not happy about.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Well yes the Xenomorph as we see it is the result of human interaction, but the eggs and basic framework and the creature it produces are implied to be old and potentially anywhere. Covenant reduces it down to “an android deliberately made that framework 20 years ago, and they’re only located where he personally went”

This feels dangerously close to semantics.

Also it’s worth pointing out that when ‘Alien’ came out, we didn’t know that the Xenomorph was in any way affected by the host - it was just the creature that popped out of potentially whoever or whatever got facehugged, and that’s just what it looked like. James Cameron tossed around the idea of Aliens looking like their hosts, but it wasn’t until the third movie that we saw it in practice. Based on the first movie it was very easy to conclude “this is just what Aliens look like”, meaning the Xenomorph could very well have been very old, human involvement or not.

Yes it’s very easy to walk it back, and as mentioned other sources have done so.

I agree with the idea of general cosmic hostility and I’m totally fine with that, it just didn’t have to neuter the xenomorph to do it. Make the galaxy full of weird horrors and goo-monsters and who knows what else, just don’t reduce the scope and scale of the Xenomorph in the process. That’s the problem.

The scope and scale of the xenomorph was always tiny, though. It's A3 that specifically implies the xenomorph inherits, idk, 40% of its body plan from its host (and we should remember that the "runner" came out of an egg laid by a queen that came out of a human, so it's not a dog-xenomorph but a human-dog-xenomorph), but if we instead assume from watching Alien that it just naturally looks like that (not a given, but not a crazy idea) we actually end up with an even more prosaic and uncreative scenario; oh yeah, the star beast walks on two feet and has thumbs on its hands? That's the loving horror from beyond the void, a man with some extensive surgical modifications?

I think there's a contradiction between, one on hand, your assertion that the monster featured in Alien has troubling implications about the nature of the cosmos, and, on the other hand, your desire for the monster featured in Alien, down to the specifics of its surface texture and monster manual entry bullet points, to be both timelessly ancient and galactically ubiquitous. Are we worried that the cosmos is fundamentally hostile and predatory, that any exponent of creation and evolution is ultimately going to be totally alien and remorselessly hostile? Or are we worried that we'll just run into more and more of this one guy?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 26, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The scope and scale of the xenomorph was always tiny, though.
Not really, as Sigher demonstrated.

As mentioned, the implication in 'Alien' was that it was an old galaxy with the potential for ancient spaceships filled with dangerous eggs, or even planets that just have eggs (we don't know where these things come from or if they're bespoke bioweapons or if they're a naturally-occurring lifeform) waiting for unlucky explorers to stumble across them anywhere.

Covenant reduces that scope and scale.

Ferrinus posted:

I think there's a contradiction between, one on hand, your assertion that the monster featured in Alien has troubling implications about the nature of the cosmos, and, on the other hand, your desire for the monster featured in Alien, down to the specifics of its surface texture and monster manual entry bullet points, to be both timelessly ancient and galactically ubiquitous. Are we worried that the cosmos is fundamentally hostile and predatory, that any exponent of creation and evolution is ultimately going to be totally alien and remorselessly hostile? Or are we worried that we'll just run into more and more of this one guy?
Those two things can coexist (and in fact, they do, in the Alien RPG). There can be crazy horrors in addition to a big nasty space ant being all over the place, it's not a zero-sum game. We can have weird goo-horrors while still having egg-born acid-bleeding chest-bursting Xenomorphs all over the place. We don't need to reduce one to emphasize the other. That's what Covenant does, and that's the problem. Covenant retcons what we saw in 'Alien' to be "the creature is only 20 years old, and is only present where a specific character traveled in those 20 years". That's reductive and lame.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 26, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

Even if we pretend that the ship is not supposed to be hundreds if not thousands of years old [...]

As I've repeatedly noted, Jokey's ship is 'supposed to be' roughly 2000 years old. This is established in Prometheus. You haven't been careful, and have lost track of what you're trying to argue - the danger of the line-by-line 'style' of internet debate.

Otherwise, your assertions are, like, that the alien egg-pods are potentially immortal and that Jokey's spaceship has potentially unlimited speed. Those are appeals to ignorance.

Since we don't know, Jokey's ship may be extremely slow, having originated from one of the other moons around the planet. It may be utterly incapable of interstellar travel. There's no proof either way. However, we do know roughly how fast the Nostromo goes, and there's zero evidence that Jokey's spaceship is faster than the Nostromo. Therefore, the Nostromo has established our top speed in the film.

(Covenant then confirms that, yes, they move at roughly the same speed.)

As for the egg-pods in Alien, they are organic and are shown to have 'roots', which imply a need to draw nourishment from soil. They've lasted an ambiguously long time because they are kept preserved by some kind of technology. This technology produces a lot of light and sound, and necessarily has a power source. Given that they're underground, it isn't likely to be solar power. If it's some kind of automated reactor or geothermal power planet, it clearly hasn't broken down after being left unattended for this ambiguously long time. This all implies that the egg-pods aren't actually enormously old.

(Prometheus, again, implies that the technology is 'only' a few thousand years old. Covenant sez that the egg-pods inside are 'only' a few decades old.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 26, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mllaneza posted:

That's a good take on a creative decision I'm still not happy about.

Yeah I'm okay with the decision but I get it. I think part of it is even in the assembly cut Clemens and Andrews both get killed off very early in rapid succession, which is kind of cool as a "no one is safe" series of events since the whole first act sets things up as if it's going to be about their conflict. But after that Dillon's the only one who gets and real development at all besides Ripley.

Ferrinus posted:

The scope and scale of the xenomorph was always tiny, though. It's A3 that specifically implies the xenomorph inherits, idk, 40% of its body plan from its host (and we should remember that the "runner" came out of an egg laid by a queen that came out of a human, so it's not a dog-xenomorph but a human-dog-xenomorph), but if we instead assume from watching Alien that it just naturally looks like that (not a given, but not a crazy idea) we actually end up with an even more prosaic and uncreative scenario; oh yeah, the star beast walks on two feet and has thumbs on its hands? That's the loving horror from beyond the void, a man with some extensive surgical modifications?

I think the two things it causes worry about is that we'll inevitably run into more variety of guys, not just this one guy, or that we'll run into absolutely nothing, ever. Like to me it's an oversimplification to describe the alien "a man with some extensive surgical modifications," there's way more bio than mechanical in later designs for the alien but it's not just that it's got a dickhead. Like the acid blood, the exoskeleton and the acid blood and the way this thing that's almost robotic enough that it gets mistaken for machinery but is also extra goopy, it's not just that it looks weird. There's sea-life that looks alien and weird as gently caress on earth right now. It's that it's an entire new area of biology compared to anything humans have encountered before. Something that radical takes things very quickly from "there's just us and rocks out there" to "literally anything could be out there" very fast.

A big part of cosmic horror to me is the conflict your describing but from a character's standpoint instead of the audience. Like look at how much of that type of fiction is about doctors and scientists trying but failing to make sense of this stuff. The thing that's troubling about it on a cosmic level is that the alien itself is just, like this thing from a parasite from an egg that was in mass storage in this gigantic ship that's beyond ancient and was piloted by someone that is themselves not even human.

It's that mixture of "we are not alone" and "we are alone" happening at the same time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit— not worth it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

For someone complaining about appeals to ignorance and telling people to “be careful”, you sure appealed to ignorance a lot without being careful

:thunk:

If I've written anything untrue or inaccurate, it should be trivially easy for you to demonstrate that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I've written anything untrue or inaccurate, it should be trivially easy for you to demonstrate that.

Don’t need to lmao

I’ll leave that to Sigher or someone else

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t need to lmao

Then you are being deceitful, because it's actually really easy to point out falsehoods and inaccuracies. For example:

Xenomrph posted:

As mentioned, the implication in 'Alien' was that it was an old galaxy with the potential for ancient spaceships filled with dangerous eggs

The eggs are in a cavernous space under the space-ship. "A cave of some sort, but - I don't know, it's like the goddamn tropics in here." There are no ships filled with eggs, of any sort, in any Alien-related film. The closest candidate would be the space-station in the Alien Isolation videogame.

There is no evidence that the eggs have been anywhere but the few settings shown in the films.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s not my job to hold your hand and fact-check you when you (willfully?) get it wrong (such as what you just posted), I’ve got better things to do lmao

That isn’t being “deceitful”, I’m not trying to “deceive” you by saying you aren’t worth correcting lol

You have to be more careful

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Zeno I love you dude but engaging with some folks just ends like Weyland talking to the Engy.

Be instead like Ash and just marvel at an organism so pure of purpose.

A fun question to throw around is whether SO937 is specifically in case of Xeno encounter or just a generic 'save that poo poo it could be worth $$$' directive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I think the SO937 question hinges on whether you accept the prequels as lore AND if you do, whether it's plausible any information from the Prometheus made it back to Earth. You know where I stand, and i think it's totally reasonable that a company like WY would have plans like SO937 in place without any knowledge of the xenomorph, because even if alien life has already been discovered (Arcturian poontang), new alien life is probably still hecka valuable.

I don't think the egg chamber in Alien is a cave beneath the derelict. Characters don't always accurately describe what they're seeing, and it clearly bears some of the same biomechanical structural traits as the 'room' above it. The prequels kind of toss this idea in the technical schematics of the ship, which could mean it's a slightly different kind of ship or (more likely) that it was a creative oversight when they had the hologram CG done up. The 'cargo hold' that David releases the pathogen from does bear a bit of resemblance to the egg chamber but not much.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 26, 2023