Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adenoid Dan posted:

It's like having a pregnancy crisis worker at the front desk of a planned Parenthood.

Some tweet made that comparison, yeah. Just an absolutely despicable person.

Edit: terrible snipe, so here's the tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/alllogsare5/status/1635849147785035779

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that goons should try to be poll workers so regressives dont get in.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that goons should try to be poll workers so regressives dont get in.

As a bonus, it's also a genuinely rewarding thing to do on election day that isn't "anxiously refresh Election Twitter." :toot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1638576235369439237?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/andrewdesiderio/status/1638945871642370062?s=46&t=wPR2V011kgEbNb_hIr0CWw

for the record this is perhaps not an ideal answer if you are trying to avoid Congress banning your app

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
just some light espionage

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewdesiderio/status/1638945871642370062?s=46&t=wPR2V011kgEbNb_hIr0CWw

for the record this is perhaps not an ideal answer if you are trying to avoid Congress banning your app

Literally every teenager in the US would immediately become an expert on using a VPN

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fastest growing TikTok segment is 35+ people. TikTok isn't really "just for kids"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Uh, why is it when I watched the actual hearing his response to the question in that tweet was a clear "no." He was then asked if Bytedance had examined user data in some ways and if that was spying and the answer given was "I don't think spying if the right way to describe it." Because every social media company examines data and it's not necessarily spying. If you examine user data in indirect ways it's not spying, it's often just targeted marketing.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
A good way to unite the Chinese and American populations, imo. Forcing both populations to use VPNs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Fastest growing TikTok segment is 35+ people. TikTok isn't really "just for kids"

Yeah but I know way too many now that I have to help print a PDF so they won't be using a VPN.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Neo Rasa posted:

Literally every teenager in the US would immediately become an expert on using a VPN

Depending on how anal the US wants to be about this that probably wouldnt work in the long run. The US has a pretty good track record of loving up poo poo like that when they want to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm sure this will definitely end well and not result in tons of fraud

https://twitter.com/verified/status/1639029459557679104?s=20

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What could possibly be worse than removing verification measures on April Fools Day?

Removing some of the verification measures on April Fools Day

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Uh, why is it when I watched the actual hearing his response to the question in that tweet was a clear "no." He was then asked if Bytedance had examined user data in some ways and if that was spying and the answer given was "I don't think spying if the right way to describe it." Because every social media company examines data and it's not necessarily spying. If you examine user data in indirect ways it's not spying, it's often just targeted marketing.

It's spin, aka being intentionally obtuse, or lying.

All of those senators I saw in the actual video proceedings are loving morons.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm sure this will definitely end well and not result in tons of fraud

https://twitter.com/verified/status/1639029459557679104?s=20

My job involves managing a good number of social media accounts, including five Twitter accounts which all have legacy blue checks. In order to join this new Verified program, we're told it will cost at least $1,000 a month per account. Obviously, we will not be participating, and indeed we may just kill our Twitter accounts. It's simply not worth the hassle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BuckT.Trend posted:

My job involves managing a good number of social media accounts, including five Twitter accounts which all have legacy blue checks. In order to join this new Verified program, we're told it will cost at least $1,000 a month per account. Obviously, we will not be participating, and indeed we may just kill our Twitter accounts. It's simply not worth the hassle.
Also if you are a celeb or whatever, you probably also just kill your account

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:haw:

https://twitter.com/MattNavarra/status/1639208236527001600?s=20

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So it can't be used for official identification since anyone can buy one, it can't be used as a status symbol because you can hide it to avoid mass blocking. What is it for lol

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Soonmot posted:

So it can't be used for official identification since anyone can buy one, it can't be used as a status symbol because you can hide it to avoid mass blocking. What is it for lol

It’s for losers

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

It’s for losers

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Soonmot posted:

It's like a patreon for Musk's twitter

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Soonmot posted:

It's for desperately attempting to generate enough revenue for Twitter to meet its interest payments, and it's failing miserably at that.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
He's really killing it as CEO. Killing it dead. Twitter's been on fire since he took charge. Slay

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On fire forever but never dying. Twitter is the Centralia of the internet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel that, despite the many huge and unforced errors Musk has made, this one is by far his magnum opus and it's not even close.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What is it going to take to actually kill off Twitter? A lot of us speculated that it would be wrecked by the end of the year, but it's still truckin'. Is it going to take bankruptcy and the company being parted out?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Star Man posted:

What is it going to take to actually kill off Twitter? A lot of us speculated that it would be wrecked by the end of the year, but it's still truckin'. Is it going to take bankruptcy and the company being parted out?

- A large fine from the EU or FTC based on legal/regulatory obligations Twitter is not even trying to meet at the moment

- Missing an interest payment, basically

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Star Man posted:

MySpace still exists. Even failing spectacularly there will be enough users around to keep the lights on for a very long time.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It depends on your definition of "kill". If you mean "goes offline forever" then probably never because someone will acquire it for cheaper than Musk paid.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I suppose what I mean is kill Twitter dead and the whole thing goes offline, but I didn't consider the more likely fate of it getting bought out and/or transitioning into something else. MySpace lives, but I think they saw the writing on the wall and knew they couldn't compete with Facebook and transitioned into a music-related service.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

It is arguable that Facebook is more likely to "die", since the whole Meta thing is somehow a more impossibly stupid business idea than whatever incompetence Elon can muster

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

I suppose what I mean is kill Twitter dead and the whole thing goes offline, but I didn't consider the more likely fate of it getting bought out and/or transitioning into something else. MySpace lives, but I think they saw the writing on the wall and knew they couldn't compete with Facebook and transitioned into a music-related service.

I feel like the Twitter brand is too big and the moment it defaults the banks/Saudis will have it temporarily before finding a new owner who will immediately regain all the lost advertisers/employees and turn a profit simply by virtue of not being Elon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dubar posted:

It is arguable that Facebook is more likely to "die", since the whole Meta thing is somehow a more impossibly stupid business idea than whatever incompetence Elon can muster

Give him time.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The one thing a return to non-Musk ownership will do for Twitter is that the advertisers will likely attempt a comeback. What they want can only be done on a centralized platform. If any one Mastodon instance implements ads, and people don't like it, then those users will just move accounts to an instance that doesn't. There genuinely is no room for advertisers anywhere but Twitter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Morroque posted:

The one thing a return to non-Musk ownership will do for Twitter is that the advertisers will likely attempt a comeback. What they want can only be done on a centralized platform. If any one Mastodon instance implements ads, and people don't like it, then those users will just move accounts to an instance that doesn't. There genuinely is no room for advertisers anywhere but Twitter.

except Facebook, Google, apple, and countless other ways to reach people online. even this website if you were really desperate!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

evilweasel posted:

except Facebook, Google, apple, and countless other ways to reach people online. even this website if you were really desperate!

We're on this website, of course we're desperate!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agents are GO! posted:

We're on this website, of course we're desperate!

I'm not desperate, just resigned!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I haven't been able to search any topic for 2 days now on Twitter (Chrome pc).
All I get is "Something went wrong, but don't fret--its not your fault"
Clicking on any trending topic also gives same error.
Started yesterday morning.
Browsing followed people works fine.
Disabling ublock doesn't seem to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortunate Bird
Sep 3, 2011
Unpopular opinion but I honestly think people are going to be predicting the death of twitter (for any definition of "death") for eternity while slowly proving elon right that you can just fire 90% of staff and start charging money to use the thing. The fact is that the liberals that are still there are never going to leave. The idea to make the blue checkmark possible to hide is genius. Half of the people that claim to hate twitter/musk will probably pay the $10 a month because clearly twitter is a valuable business platform if they still are using it despite being in opposition to their values. They are still using it because they want the audience it provides. But increasingly they're going to find their audience shrinking as their non paying accounts are deprioritized. Some of the competing liberal accounts will start forking over the cash, and they'll have pressure to do the same or just slowly lose their audience while republican's and russian bots and the democrats willing to support musk take over.