Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Unsinkabear posted:

The OP mentions Amarkat cat trees, but does not appear to have been updated in ten (:psyduck:) years. Are those still the goon go-to, or have they been supplanted in our modern capitalist hellscape brave new world?

Yup Amarkat is still the gold standard for cat furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup Amarkat is still the gold standard for cat furniture.

My now 17 year old cat has two Armakat stairs (one for the bed and one for the couch) and she loves them. Uses them all the time, except when she wants to prove that she can still jump.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so a couple months ago you guys gave us some great advice regarding our new bonded pair of kitties, and they uh... turned out to be pretty amazing, so this is me returning the favor and thanks again. We received these kitties from a rescue. They had been brought in with infections & parasites, but they're doing awesome now. The male is Miles and the female is Molly.

1. Miles is spectacularly dumb looking, and he has the attitude to match the face. He is the derpiest cat I've ever seen, and basically just bumbles his way through life. He's hobbies include knocking things over, jumping insanely high for some reason, play fighting, and attacking his own shadow.

Oh, and by the way, he had a phase where he suddenly realized he had a tail attached to his butt and was VERY unhappy about it. He spent about 3 days intermittently trying to fight and catch his own tail, and somehow by the grace of the lord himself my wife was able to take a short video of him chasing his own tail and flipping into a wall. I can't speak for yall but this is one of the best cat videos I've ever seen! but I'm probably biased :P

He's going full Capoeira Brazilian dance fighting mode, tell me this doesn't change your life.
https://i.imgur.com/veMyJ2n.mp4

He's also one of the dumbest looking cats I've ever seen in my life and it loving owns.

This is Molly. Her best attributes are her giant puss in boots eyes, her soft fur (we call her Molly Softpaws like the movie), and she'll nuzzle you to death, especially when food is involved. Sometimes I'll spend an hour or whatever making food for dinner in the kichen, and if you let her she will nuzzle your legs for about 45 minutes of that hour.

They are bonded extremely tightly. I bought them each a cat bed but they refused and insisted on sleeping in just one of them. I have to keep this bed on my desk because I work from home and if it wasn't for the bed, they would be spending 8 hours trying to sit in my lap. They're so sweet and just want to lay with their daddy so I can't really say poo poo about it but I can definitely say that without this big wfh desk that accomodates the bed, my productivity would be horrible.

Miles literally wears my sandals. It's a thing. I assume it's because my sandals smell like me, I don't know. But inexplicably if I put my sandals like this, he will put them on. And wear them.

Be honest now- did I win the cat lottery or am I just biased? Because we love them to death. lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Those are extremely good cats. Bonded pairs are the best

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FBS posted:

Those are extremely good cats. Bonded pairs are the best

The shelter said that bonded pairs are very difficult to home. Which is weird, because I feel like they are basically like owning a single cat, but they always have each other instead of relying solely on humans for their companionship.

I'm a light sleeper so the kitties sleep in the living room. This would be pretty hosed imo if it was just one cat, but because they are bonded, they just bundle up in the cat bed together and they're happy as a clam.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Taima posted:

Miles literally wears my sandals. It's a thing. I assume it's because my sandals smell like me, I don't know. But inexplicably if I put my sandals like this, he will put them on. And wear them.

Our Rosemary also does this sometimes! She loves to sit on shoes, and sometimes her foot will end up inside, possibly deliberately? It's adorable.

I somehow don't have a picture of it, but here she is looking appropriately ridiculous:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Taima posted:

Be honest now- did I win the cat lottery or am I just biased? Because we love them to death. lol

Those are outstanding kitties. You've done very well!

My two are a bonded pair as well, but they're not as lovey dovey with each other as that, any more.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Our Rosemary also does this sometimes! She loves to sit on shoes, and sometimes her foot will end up inside, possibly deliberately? It's adorable.

I somehow don't have a picture of it, but here she is looking appropriately ridiculous:

Awww, incredible cat and I love that name!!! Such pretty colors too!

Hyperlynx posted:

Those are outstanding kitties. You've done very well!

My two are a bonded pair as well, but they're not as lovey dovey with each other as that, any more.

oooh hmm, are you suggesting they may not be like this forever? I was wondering about that. They're about a year old. I'm not an anxious person, for the most part at least, but I actually do sometimes think about what it would be like if one of them died somehow. They are just so bonded. They are always by each other, and Miles in particular will get almost immediately upset if they get separated for even a minute.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Taima posted:

If you're biased, nobody can blame you! Those are adorable kitties.

Speaking of adorable kitties - my mom was incredibly anxious about visiting me, because in the time between her last visit and this one (she comes for my sons' birthdays, one son one year, the other the next, etc) we adopted a cat, and she was just convinced that the cat would hate her. When she visits her brother, she's afraid to sleep, lest my uncle's cat sleep on her face and smother her.

She got here a week ago today. Yesterday, she got the bag of cat treats down from the shelf herself, gave him one, and then was disappointed that he only wanted one! But look at this handsome face. No one can resist this handsome face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Peeing issue. We rescued a 6 year old male cat. Now we have 3 cats. But now one of our older "originals" cats (13 year old senior) is peeing outside one of the litter bins intentionally. Caught on camera. Seems to do it in on the same part of the floor ever morning.

The older original cat's behaviour hasn't changed and he and the new cat seem to get along ok. But it seems like he is upset about the introduction of the new 3rd cat. Probably doesn't like the new cat's scent around the house.

Any suggestions for resolving this? The older male cat is otherwise healthy and the peeing is definitely related to the arrival of the new 6 year old male. This is week 3 of the adoption. Been dousing the affected floor in Nature's Miracle but it hasn't been helping at all. Our house also has plenty of space and 3 litter bins, all of which are cleaned frequently.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 26, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a litter robot 4, idk if the cats have used it yet, they have inspected it a lot and keep triggering it to run. But the app and wifi are just absolutely driving me nuts. It took hours of me goofing when it first arrived to connect to my phone. And now it's no longer connected, the app keeps asking me to add a robot, but I still get notifications. If I try to add the robot again, it tells me I don't have an internet connection. It's telling me my phone doesn't have an internet connection, before I even get connected to the robot. Just irritated right now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

melon cat posted:

Peeing issue. We rescued a 6 year old male cat. Now we have 3 cats. But now one of our older "originals" cats (13 year old senior) is peeing outside one of the litter bins intentionally. Caught on camera. Seems to do it in on the same part of the floor ever morning.

The older original cat's behaviour hasn't changed and he and the new cat to get along ok. But it seems like he is upset about the introduction of the new 3rd cat. Probably doesn't like the new cat's scent around the house.

Any suggestions for resolving this? The older male cat is otherwise healthy and the peeing is definitely related to the arrival of the new 6 year old male. This is week 3 of the adoption. Been dousing the affected floor in Nature's Miracle but it hasn't been helping at all. Our house also has plenty of space and 3 litter bins, all of which are cleaned frequently.

Add a fourth box and see if that helps.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Taima posted:

oooh hmm, are you suggesting they may not be like this forever? I was wondering about that. They're about a year old. I'm not an anxious person, for the most part at least, but I actually do sometimes think about what it would be like if one of them died somehow. They are just so bonded. They are always by each other, and Miles in particular will get almost immediately upset if they get separated for even a minute.

Oh! I'm not making any predictions or anything, it was just a comment on my two. And I don't really know what the deal is with mine.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Taima posted:

I'm a light sleeper so the kitties sleep in the living room. This would be pretty hosed imo if it was just one cat, but because they are bonded, they just bundle up in the cat bed together and they're happy as a clam.

Ferdie has spent night time in the living room since we got him as a kitten, we used to stay up with him and gradually increased the time spent alone. He's an adult now and does full nights to himself. When the lights go off he knows it's bedtime. He seems to appreciate the time away from us, since someone is with him basically all the time with my work hours and working from home. He goes to bed and enjoys the silence

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

which enzyme cleaner do we like these days?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anti-Icky-Poo.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LPS only had Skout's Honor it just smells like windex and has worked well so far.

Bonus: since these cleaners don't have any solvents, I've found them pretty good for cleaning electronics and screens of cat drool. Milly is like a garden sprinkler sometimes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Those are some great cats, but also pretty standard for a bonded pair. I'm fostering the proud new owner of :gonk: a litter of feral kittens and they have an entire dance routine of dumb positions they will sleep in with each other:

Top to bottom: Good Boy Void, Stryper and T&T (Tophat and Tails)

The monochrome duo

The sisters seem to pair up a bit more often

Individual glamour shots because c'mon check out this tabby :swoon:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hi everyone, meet Twig. As a first time cat dad, I will probably be asking a lot of questions about her.

She's only been with us about a month and she was a street rat for most of her very short life, and I've never been the primary owner of a cat before, so we're still getting used to each other. Luckily she doesn't seem to mind indoor cat life and seems pretty darn fond of me, all things considered (it helps that I WFH and am here all the time). But she does not tolerate snuggles, does not show the belly, and is an endless font of play energy who very much enjoys biting me at complete random. During the Cone of Shame Era after her spaying, she always wanted to be close and slept between my feet at night, but now that she's off the pain meds that has dropped off a cliff. Also, she is a tabby and not the tuxedo cat I've always wanted (every photo of the tuxedo in the above kitten group melts my heart :kimchi:). So yeah. All in all, a pretty mediocre acquisition somehow already my favorite cat on the planet. 10/10

When she's a little poo poo, I tell her I'm going to put her back on the street. But in truth, she has had my heart since the very first time that she got up with me in the morning for a synchronized wake-up pee.

I mean, could you stay mad at this? Because I sure can't. :shobon:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Unsinkabear posted:

She's only been with us about a month and she was a street rat for most of her very short life, and I've never been the primary owner of a cat before, so we're still getting used to each other. Luckily she doesn't seem to mind indoor cat life and seems pretty darn fond of me, all things considered (it helps that I WFH and am here all the time). But she does not tolerate snuggles, does not show the belly, and is an endless font of play energy who very much enjoys biting me at complete random.

If it's any comfort, this all sounds really normal for the first month with a young cat, particularly one off the street who isn't extensively socialized with humans. Snuggling/belly rubs will come with time as she calms down and becomes more comfortable. The biting is something you may need to actively discourage -- I believe the standard advice is making a "hey, that hurts, knock it off"-type cat yowl, of the sort she might recognize from socializing with other cats, and immediately disengaging from whatever you're doing so she learns bite = the fun ends -- but it'll also help to learn her signals and naturally disengage when she's looking testy or overstimulated. Good luck! She's a darling and I bet she'll be a great cat.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yep. I got the 3 new ones straight from the vet after their spay/neutering, before which they were fully outside and feral. The tuxedo was the last one to warm up to me and stop running and hissing at me every time I tried to handle her. Now she will climb up onto my chest and just lay there squirming around and kneading bread and purring. The other 2 have never done anything close to that, just standard lap sitting.

e:
Bonus tuxedo dump because I have SO. MANY. PICTURES.

And finally her with her favorite toy. I don't know what makes this purple mouse different from all the other little stuffed mouse toys laying around, but it's the only one she likes:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 28, 2023

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

And finally her with her favorite toy. I don't know what makes this purple mouse different from all the other little stuffed mouse toys laying around, but it's the only one she likes:

Do you have other Smarty Kat mice (I'm guessing that's the brand from its appearance)? They must use extremely mega dank catnip, because my cat also goes nuts for their mice as compared to other similarly sized/shaped mice.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That's too much! My heart can't take it! 🥹

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I hope that it's the same story here and she continues to warm up to me at this rate, but even if this is all the progress we make, I'd still treasure the bond we have now as is. The fact that she's so cautious makes it even more special when she does go out of her way to be overtly affectionate. Means she thinks I'm worth the risk. It also makes the fact that she's so curious and exploratory even cuter. Cautious but brave is not a bad way to go through life imo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am at my wit's end here. One of my cats who I've had for many years will not stop pissing and making GBS threads on the bed and occasionally laundry. I have tried so many things. I have tried, from memory:

- different cat litter
- cat attract by Dr Elsey
- keeping the box spotless
- prescription anxiety medication from the vet following an exam that turned up nothing medical
- feliway diffusers AND spray
- ordered a new, different type of box, which will be here soon.

Current box is a high wall natures miracle box, uncovered, and with a low cutout for entry. Using world's best cat litter, and the box on order is a covered catit hooded box.

The cat doesn't fight with the other cats. She just stays in the bedroom and won't come out to the rest of the house for any reason, but is perfectly social inside that space. They eat, they drink, and I even see them use the box in addition to going on the bed. I can't keep washing sheets and mattress protectors. What do I do here? How do I make this stop? What haven't I tried?

The only thing I can think is they have separation anxiety because I never see the mess happen, and I work on the far end of the house in my home office. I could bring them in there while I work, but I'd have to use a carrier lest I get the poo poo clawed out of me.

Edit: they are making biscuits as I type this :3:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 28, 2023

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You might just need to keep the cat in a room that doesn't have the bed. Honestly if she's entirely only living in one room that's an indication she's probably pretty stressed out so it probably is an anxiety thing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Ferdie has spent night time in the living room since we got him as a kitten, we used to stay up with him and gradually increased the time spent alone. He's an adult now and does full nights to himself. When the lights go off he knows it's bedtime. He seems to appreciate the time away from us, since someone is with him basically all the time with my work hours and working from home. He goes to bed and enjoys the silence

Oh that is a good point, my sincere apologies- I should have used my words better, I would never judge anyone for having a cat sleep alone! I'm glad Ferdie is doing well <3

Takes No Damage posted:

Those are some great cats, but also pretty standard for a bonded pair. I'm fostering the proud new owner of :gonk: a litter of feral kittens and they have an entire dance routine of dumb positions they will sleep in with each other:

Absolutely adorable! Thanks for the kind words and advice and kitty posts everyone :)

In other news I am proud of the cats- I repurposed a closet into a dedicated litter box room- I installed a little magnetic door on the bottom, so the cats can come and go but it creates a seal that locks in the smells. I then put a strong air filter device outside the door for good measure. It's been great, no cat smells, and I'm really, really sensitive to it, which is why I undertook the project in the first place.

It was very up in the air whether they would understand how to use the door, as it takes some force to unhook the magnets, but they're doing fantastic after about 3 hours of intermitten training. Cats are smart.

Could someone plz explain the benefits of getting one of those super expensive litter box orbs? The auto-clean ones? I still dont really, like, get what they do? Are they worth it? If so, which one(s)? Money is not tight, but I don't want to spend $700 on a litter box for little gain either.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 28, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Got a body language question.

Neela will display “angry” traits (floofed tail, flat ears, even some hissing while giving a cute little kitty soyjak face) when she’s clearly having a good time playing. Is it just overstimulation? I’ve never seen any other cat react to playtime that way. Wish I had a picture of her in that state.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Having slept on the previous issue, I'm definitely going get a brand new cat box for the bedroom. I've also set up food/water/box in my office, and brought them in there via carrier to hang out in here while I work with the door closed. So far she's confused by the new space, but not doing a freak-out or anything. I think later in the day i'll open the office door, close the bedroom door, and let her get a supervised, self-paced explore of the house she never took the opportunity to do when we moved in. Maybe if she knows she doesnt have to live in the master bedroom 24/7 we'll have less worry and issue.

the bed is RIGHT THERE you idjit.

Edit:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 28, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My 11 year old boy Motor is getting his first dental today and I'm nervous about the anesthesia. sigh........

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He doesn't look worried! But seriously, if it's to deal with pain he's having, it's worth the risk. Let us know how it goes, I'll be thinking of y'all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jayne Doe posted:

Do you have other Smarty Kat mice (I'm guessing that's the brand from its appearance)? They must use extremely mega dank catnip, because my cat also goes nuts for their mice as compared to other similarly sized/shaped mice.

I'd have to check the other mice. Pretty sure it was some dollar store variety pack she got around Halloween as they're all spooky-themed (one of them is green with Frankenstein stitches, another has bat wings etc). She's pretty much emptied that one out and AFAIK it's just generic white stuffing inside.

Deviant posted:

I am at my wit's end here. One of my cats who I've had for many years will not stop pissing and making GBS threads on the bed and occasionally laundry.

Never had to deal with it personally (yet) but I think when they seem to be having 'accidents' on things like beds and clothes it's because they don't feel good and are seeking out something that smells safe, in this case you. So if they aren't actually sick I would guess it is emotion/stress related. Taking them to 'work' with you is a good idea, you can keep an eye on them and gauge if they seem overly anxious or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jack B Nimble posted:

He doesn't look worried! But seriously, if it's to deal with pain he's having, it's worth the risk. Let us know how it goes, I'll be thinking of y'all.

All good. I guess he forgives me lol

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
One of our cats, Kali, is getting a little chonky. The vet suggested she’s ok for now but could stand to lose about a pound. I’ve noticed that she tends to eat her kibble super fast, and I’d like to try slowing her down a bit. Any experiences with puzzle feeders or snuffle mats? Specific recommendations? These are designed for dogs but I like the style and they seem like they might work for cats:

https://injoya.com/collections/snuffe-mat

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

All good. I guess he forgives me lol

:cabot: awesome!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gloom posted:

One of our cats, Kali, is getting a little chonky. The vet suggested she’s ok for now but could stand to lose about a pound. I’ve noticed that she tends to eat her kibble super fast, and I’d like to try slowing her down a bit. Any experiences with puzzle feeders or snuffle mats? Specific recommendations? These are designed for dogs but I like the style and they seem like they might work for cats:

Never had one for a cat but something like this works really well for my parents' dog. They just have to spin the plastic on each level so size/strength shouldn't be an issue.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I have a cat that has a runny nose problem.

The cat is a ~9-10 year old oriental shorthair with a very long snout. A few months ago she started sounding kind congested. Nothing serious and it was kinda chalked up to her being a bit overbred (long snout). It has now developed into a very runny nose. It's not serious but it is pretty gross, especially when she starts sneezing and blasts mucous all over the place. This is a particular problem because she will dig into the bed at night, and then start blasting.

Otherwise she seems happy and behaving as normal, but does anyone have any experience dealing with... this sort of thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

I have a cat that has a runny nose problem.

The cat is a ~9-10 year old oriental shorthair with a very long snout. A few months ago she started sounding kind congested. Nothing serious and it was kinda chalked up to her being a bit overbred (long snout). It has now developed into a very runny nose. It's not serious but it is pretty gross, especially when she starts sneezing and blasts mucous all over the place. This is a particular problem because she will dig into the bed at night, and then start blasting.

Otherwise she seems happy and behaving as normal, but does anyone have any experience dealing with... this sort of thing?

That's probably one for a vet. They may be able to give her an antihistamine or something to help.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

gloom posted:

I literally have the sunflower one on that page and Sinjin loves it! He was too fast at getting the food out of those ball puzzle feeders but the mat works super well.

Niko couldn’t really figure it out, but his general strategy is to follow Sinjin and attempt to steal whatever he’s eating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is a puzzle board we got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O8L2UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tunnel is definitely advanced tier, our cats are unable to get snacks from under the tube. It's just too small for them to work with. They also kinda struggle with the holes on top of it, they can do it but get kinda frustrated. The wavy lines are easy mode, it doesn't slow them down at all. The bowls and pegs seem to be the most engaging, it hits that sweet spot of being kind of challenging but has enough payoff that they don't get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
We had one cat with a constant runny nose. He always had a dry boog just hanging there. Thought it was just something he was always going to live with dripping. Fast forward, one day he's laying in my lap and lets out a big long yawn. While his mouth's open, I grab his fang and tell my wife to look how long it is and that poor kitty let out a howl from the pain. Took him vet, they extracted it, and no more runny nose.