Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Roblo posted:

Holy poo poo are the Ukrainian actually breaking the Russians at Bahkmut? That's insane. Still not convinced but it's starting to slowly look that way.

Also that footage of the BBc reporter there is hideous. Really hope that young ukranian lad makes it out ok.

Probably has more to do with the UA offensive that's coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Butterfly Valley posted:

No that would still make each Hilux $450,000

Before or after manpad installation?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Power Khan posted:

Probably has more to do with the UA offensive that's coming soon.

Oh indeed but if they manage to successfully hold them off at Bahkmut until they're effectively relieved by an offensive that's...an impressive success.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dwesa posted:

Japan sent its "tanks" (it should be probably m, not bn)

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1639375031217029121
They'll be able to re-enact that Top Gear segment with Clarkson in a Range Rover versus a Challenger 2, except with a fleet of technicals versus some T-55s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roblo posted:

Oh indeed but if they manage to successfully hold them off at Bahkmut until they're effectively relieved by an offensive that's...an impressive success.

Battle of the Bakhmut Bulge

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

aniviron posted:

That was Deteriorata, and I dunno. I welcomed seeing it though.

It was in the D&D thread. I stopped because I was on a trip where I had to get up early every day and dawn in Kyiv was just too drat late.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

It was in the D&D thread. I stopped because I was on a trip where I had to get up early every day and dawn in Kyiv was just too drat late.

Thank you for doing that, it was looked forward to and appreciated. :tipshat:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Putin awarding hundreds of "Medal for the Almost Capture(VERY close) of Bakhmut" while everyone is standing around wondering what drugs he's on today

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bakhmut participation award

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
There was an attempt

You got Bakhmuted

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

All this talk of Steven Seagal "training" Russian recruits and all I can think is "training them in what? Running with weird flappy arms?"

That being said nowadays the fat prick looks like he can barely run a bath without exhausting himself, never mind the length of a shallow zig-zag trench. Maybe he's just teaching them the art of sitting down a lot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder why Putin and his propaganda cronies didn't just say they did win at Bakhmut a month ago and hand out so many medals to whatever generals remain that their chests look like a stained glass disco ball, not like the average Russian is will care that much or dig deep to find the truth/any vaguely pro-Ukrainian sources.

Although on a more serious note all the men and materiel Russia inevitably loses in the battle for that town is just that much less stuff Russia has for trying to assault another town or trying to defend against a Ukrainian counterattack, and the stuff lost from Bakhmut can't be cheaply or quickly replenished. And at this point even if the entire town is under Russian control/turned into another unrecognizable rubble pile Ukraine is probably fine with the amount of resources Russia committed, including the rumor that Wagner will probably gently caress off which is even less poo poo Ukraine has to ultimately deal with.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

All this talk of Steven Seagal "training" Russian recruits and all I can think is "training them in what? Running with weird flappy arms?"

That being said nowadays the fat prick looks like he can barely run a bath without exhausting himself, never mind the length of a shallow zig-zag trench. Maybe he's just teaching them the art of sitting down a lot.

Also if you're seriously in a situation where you can kill the other guy in a battlefield with sick hand-to-hand combat moves, why not just pull out a pistol and shoot the other guy? Or even just pull out a knife and stab the other guy in the throat? Other than the obvious caveats of your pistol and knife got sold to Boris the Oil Baron for a third yacht.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Also if you're seriously in a situation where you can kill the other guy in a battlefield with sick hand-to-hand combat moves, why not just pull out a pistol and shoot the other guy?
Makes me think of that infuriating game "General Chaos" where one of your dudes would get into a fist-fight with an enemy and start winning, only for the fucker to do exactly this and shoot your guy in the face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Advanced combat tactics with Steven Seagull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p2v2bjfgr0

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

:lmao:

The loving clown.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Steven Seagull is loving funny

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Also if you're seriously in a situation where you can kill the other guy in a battlefield with sick hand-to-hand combat moves, why not just pull out a pistol and shoot the other guy? Or even just pull out a knife and stab the other guy in the throat? Other than the obvious caveats of your pistol and knife got sold to Boris the Oil Baron for a third yacht.

In theory, training soldiers in hand to hand combat is as much to maintain general physical fitness as anything else, along with instilling a warrior mentality.

In practice, you're absolutely right. Years ago, in Afghanistan, I worked for one of the knife fighting instructors for the US Army's 3rd Special Forces Group. We had plenty of time to kill at work, so he taught me a bit. But the best advice he ever gave me was to forget about any fancy techniques if things have gone so far wrong in a war that you're engaged hand to hand, and just stab and slash the hell out of the other guy's vitals, or better yet, knock his rear end down and then beat him to death with a rock.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good old rock.
Nothing beats rock.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Good old rock.
Nothing beats rock.

Rock or something.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Arc Light posted:

I worked for one of the knife fighting instructors for the US Army's 3rd Special Forces Group. We had plenty of time to kill at work
I should think so.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Good old rock.
Nothing beats rock.
Legitimately, you will win every rock paper scissors game you ever play if you play nothing but rocks. I've never lost a game against someone who doesn't already know this about me.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 25, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EorayMel posted:

Rock or something.

:golfclap:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Makes me think of that infuriating game "General Chaos" where one of your dudes would get into a fist-fight with an enemy and start winning, only for the fucker to do exactly this and shoot your guy in the face.

When the enemy is up to 30' away, practitioners of aiki-do can project their chi kung energy through the root chakra and up the Ch'ueng Mo channel, which can stop the heart.

For readers non-skilled in the nihon language, this means that when the enemy draws near, aikido practicioners can poo poo themselves and have a heart attack.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Arc Light posted:

In theory, training soldiers in hand to hand combat is as much to maintain general physical fitness as anything else, along with instilling a warrior mentality.

In practice, you're absolutely right. Years ago, in Afghanistan, I worked for one of the knife fighting instructors for the US Army's 3rd Special Forces Group. We had plenty of time to kill at work, so he taught me a bit. But the best advice he ever gave me was to forget about any fancy techniques if things have gone so far wrong in a war that you're engaged hand to hand, and just stab and slash the hell out of the other guy's vitals, or better yet, knock his rear end down and then beat him to death with a rock.

IIRC that was the view held by the officer who was behind the entire system of American hand-to-hand, knife, and bayonet training in World War 2 - not that it was especially likely to ever be needed, but that having some degree of training in these things would make soldiers more confident and thus more effective, even when essentially all of the actual infantry fighting was done with rifles, grenades, and crew-served heavy weapons.

I remember a picture that got posted from very early in the current war, of a Ukrainian soldier who had at least three different tactical knives strapped to his vest, alongside the magazine pouches for his rifle. It is at all useful to carry a bunch of knives if you're also carrying an AK? If it makes you feel braver and more capable of functioning in the absolute hell that is warfare, yes, it is useful.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Flavahbeast posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639390679670374403

This one's a little unusual in that everyone in it has their face visible, harder to disregard these guys as fakes
Seems like a bad idea that increases one's chances of getting sledgehammered.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kylaer posted:

IIRC that was the view held by the officer who was behind the entire system of American hand-to-hand, knife, and bayonet training in World War 2 - not that it was especially likely to ever be needed, but that having some degree of training in these things would make soldiers more confident and thus more effective, even when essentially all of the actual infantry fighting was done with rifles, grenades, and crew-served heavy weapons.

I remember a picture that got posted from very early in the current war, of a Ukrainian soldier who had at least three different tactical knives strapped to his vest, alongside the magazine pouches for his rifle. It is at all useful to carry a bunch of knives if you're also carrying an AK? If it makes you feel braver and more capable of functioning in the absolute hell that is warfare, yes, it is useful.

tacticool IS tactical :thunk:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Never going to understand why films like to show special forces moving around in a hostile area with the butt of the rifle waving around like a loving sail. It goes in the shoulder and stays there while moving tactically unless you need to go over wall etc. Where your head moves, your rifle moves with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tai posted:

the butt

sir

that is his face

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's how you do a gun kata

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

That's how you do a gun kaka

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

April 10th, 1952. Year of our lord and savior... J Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efGxdzCzUus&t=640s

The Dollop boys did a seriously funny job explaining all the ways Mr. Seagull is a walking piece of garbage only Poots could love, just in case anybody has the time and needs a break from depressing war poo poo.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
morning show radio hosts are more charismatic than those 2

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

morning show radio hosts are more charismatic than those 2

There's Behind The Bastards if you prefer (I certainly do): https://podbay.fm/p/behind-the-bastards/e/1539684000

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If the Battle of Bakhmut is nearly over, we're in for some spicy times soon

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1639560797738156033?s=20

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin continues to be a real piece of poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Big Z says we can't start the offensive because there aren't enough weapons: https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/03/25/7395056/

Which I guess we'll see. Could be bullshit to throw russia off, or maybe bullshit to encourage some urgency, or maybe true.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this war better end soon... This sucks

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

You got Bakhmuted

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arc Light posted:

Most of my hand-to-hand combat training was focused on BJJ and it was stressed to us that you just need hold the enemy down long enough for one of your buddies to show up with a real weapon.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You done hosed up. Should have done aikido.