Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

That's exactly what I was doing and even after like 1000 tries I was still always about an inch short of being able to roll onto the top part.

Be less bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I could will myself to be less bad I certainly would.

When I looked up the room I found a bajillion other people online complaining about it so I don't think it's just me. I have also not a had a problem with any other part where you have to boost really high.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

We will need Switchs 2 and 3 as Wii Us and 3DSs are scheduled to self-destruct

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Didn't one of the earliest Mario game manuals have some note about most of the Toads of Mushroom Kingdom having been turned into blocks, meaning you also destroy them as part of normal gameplay?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bofast posted:

Didn't one of the earliest Mario game manuals have some note about most of the Toads of Mushroom Kingdom having been turned into blocks, meaning you also destroy them as part of normal gameplay?

Yep, for some reason the original Super Mario Bros manual said that the mushroom kingdom citizens had been turned into bricks

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamers i discovered my switch's battery had become alarmingly puffy a few days ago and because i was scared of breaking something trying to get it out i went ahead and got an oled. the screen is really nice!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also don't worry i did manage to pry the battery out without blowing up so now i guess i have two switches

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Congrats on your two switches

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

solder in a modchip :evilbuddy:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I gave my old switch to a friend when I got my OLED but now I'm wondering if I should've modded it instead. Ah well, sliding doors and all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Looper posted:

gamers i discovered my switch's battery had become alarmingly puffy a few days ago and because i was scared of breaking something trying to get it out i went ahead and got an oled. the screen is really nice!!

I think the battery life is also better but maybe thats just bc its new rather then any actual betterness

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Buy yeah the oled screen is gorgeous

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think the battery life is also better but maybe thats just bc its new rather then any actual betterness

If you went from a launch model to an OLED the battery is miles better. Biggest QOL update next to the screen and the better stand.

There was a hardware revision between them that added the better battery.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Decided to replay Super Metroid on the Switch and tried out some speedrun tricks. The first one I felt great until I realized you get super missiles real early this game so it felt like barely a gain but then I got Ice Beam and a reserve tank before speed booster so now I feel great.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Mario kart on the e shop for 40. Good things come to those who wait

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm not quite sure how many hours I've put into Labyrinth of Galleria, but I got to the point where I'd had my fill of dungeon crawling yet wanted to finish the plot. Figured I'd look the rest of it up on YouTube.

Turns out I'd already watched 12 hours of fully-voiced cutscenes but there were still another 6 hours to go!

Also I have no idea what the card game that came with the special edition will be like because the first 12 hours of plot have nothing to do with cards and I'm not expecting them to become relevant in the final stretch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would love to see a video of one of you guys getting the life grove tunnel missile expansion in prime because as far as I can tell this poo poo is impossible.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

my save is already at 100% so id have to start a new game to do it, but this should hopefully help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6TNTMwhsc

main thing is the timing on the release of the boost, but you also need to rock the stick as you do it as well

if youre having trouble with the boost ball you can also do it this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXn-KWbs1Y

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress this poo poo

Boost on the upslope just as you start to climb the ramp, not on the downslope.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boost on the upslope just as you start to climb the ramp, not on the downslope.

this is the main thing, yeah

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ll try it from the right in one go like that thanks.

I get the concept but I never quite make it. I’ll get to the top but just bounce off the edge every time.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

if it makes u feel any better it is quite oddly specific

boost ball is kinda weird. i think my least favourite expansion is the one in furnace that requires boost and then spider ball tracks with those plated parasites crawlin around

rox fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 25, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
In Super Mario Bros I find that if I turn super Mario then that gives me the confidence to do things that I wouldn't have done if I was little and consequently I do better because I'm bolder. This sort of reminds me about martial arts instructors who say things like if you learn this you won't need to fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My friend had his Switch stolen.
Is there a way to look up online what its serial number is? He's going to keep an eye on Craigslist and may confront someone.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That sucks. Hope they find it.

I'm enjoying Tunic overall. It's very atmospheric and I love the minimalistic approach. It's also frustrating though. First, it's Dark Souls with the serial numbers filed off, which isn't bad, but boy, did they just want to make a Souls game. Sort of a pity actually because where it suffers is from trying to be like a Souls game. But that's fine. It also makes me feel very dumb at times. I think I'm getting older. I gave up exploring at a point seeing that I couldn't move forward so I just followed the in-game guide. I was peeved when I learned you could pray, because as a kid I'd probably try every possible button before moving forward. I don't think the game is designed to be sequenced-break necessarily and I get why it's important to go spoiler-free but each new revelation or small path that I somehow missed the first time is making me feel real dumb for just following the obvious path laid it to me... I just finished with the two bells and moving onto the Forest Temple area..

The in-game manual is incredibly charming though it took me ages before I realized you could zoom in, which helped reading some of the fine-print. I won't see I'm enchanted by the game like I was by, say, Subnautica, but it's a good one and if you like Souls-borne games, exploration, but most importantly a cool atmosphere and find charm in the in-game manual it's definitely worth a look. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to look up online what its serial number is? He's going to keep an eye on Craigslist and may confront someone.

Depending on how he bought it and if he still has the receipt, that would have his serial number. The box also has it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, the box definitely has it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

haha what posted:

if it makes u feel any better it is quite oddly specific

boost ball is kinda weird. i think my least favourite expansion is the one in furnace that requires boost and then spider ball tracks with those plated parasites crawlin around

I hate this one so much, I never can figure out the timing on the boost. I saw a speedrun where they jumped and skipped both the half-pipe and most of the spider ball track. I may try that at some point but I suspect that missile expansion will remain uncollected.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jet Jaguar posted:

I hate this one so much, I never can figure out the timing on the boost. I saw a speedrun where they jumped and skipped both the half-pipe and most of the spider ball track. I may try that at some point but I suspect that missile expansion will remain uncollected.

IIRC, you should release the boost button (ie, actually boost) and the lowest point of the slope, if not right when you start coming back up. Once you release it, immediately hold down the button again to start charging it up. You'll definitely develop a flow, and once you do, these are no problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

IIRC, you should release the boost button (ie, actually boost) and the lowest point of the slope, if not right when you start coming back up. Once you release it, immediately hold down the button again to start charging it up. You'll definitely develop a flow, and once you do, these are no problem.

You specifically want to release just as you start to climb the upward slope, so the boost hugs the curve and rides you waaaay up the wall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally beat RE4 on my Switch after a few years of slowly working my way through it.

Now I’m trying mercenaries and I remember enjoying and being good at this when the game was fresh but now it’s just too much. :(

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, the box definitely has it.

It may depend, mine turned out to be just a hole for the sticker with the serial number to see through.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

If you've ever used the Parental Settings app, your switch, its serial number, and its play activity are there. When mine was stolen, they renamed all my Miis and played games. So I blocked them with my PIN and Nintendo was able to restore my account on a new Switch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Awww well poo poo. After two years of keeping the box in his closet, he threw it out a couple weeks ago.

Oh well, he makes good money and now has an excuse to get an OLED model.

Unrelated:
Two days left to get your 3ds/WiiU games purchased!

I'm really happy I double checked because I had $55 with of credit that would have gone to waste. All the Phoenix Wright games are dirt cheap, along with a bunch of other cool stuff.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

One of the best memories I have with my Switch was sitting on my porch on summer nights playing Hollow Knight. And I want to do that again this year, with Silksong dropping supposedly from now till June 12th. Then I read this article published five hours ago about how Silksong is going up against a cramped year of releases from a bunch of bigger games... but it's like Silksong is one of those bigger games coming out this year, how stupid is this author?

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

If you're basing that Silksong release on that Microsoft showcase saying a bunch of games will be released within a year, that's claim has already been broken by delays for some of the games.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Sam Faust posted:

If you're basing that Silksong release on that Microsoft showcase saying a bunch of games will be released within a year, that's claim has already been broken by delays for some of the games.

Well drat, I should pay attention more to poo poo like that.

At least this month-old Tweet gives me some semblance of hope.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Silk song got cancelled six years ago

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Silk song got cancelled six years ago

Then what game did I pick up late one night on the side of the road?! :gonk: :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sam Faust posted:

Ok but those games got delayed. Silksong hasn't been delayed.