Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has anyone here played this game enough to have memorized their way around without using GPS? I don't mean for jobs, but like in a 'oh, I just left my apartment, and want to go golfing...' sort of way.

Not all of it, but if you asked me where certain streets, landmarks, or neighborhoods are I'd be able to tell you.

I'd be surprised if the veterans of this game *didnt* have some level of map knowledge like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

New page, new reminder that the next GOON THEFT AUTO GOON GAMING GUILD GROUPNIGHT is next FRIDAY!

How do you do, my fellow Fooliganz? It's almost time for another exciting, action-packed night of Goon-sponsored mayhem! Friday night: log-on, mic-up, and drop-in to some of the most thrilling gameplay you can have, running the streets of Los Santos. We're a brawny bunch of brainworm-havers who like to partay like it is in-fact, 2023.

If you wish to join the festivities, all you gotta do is Come join us on Discord and we'll take you on the trip of your life, baby.

FRIDAY, March 31st at 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific. We'll go all night, so even if you stop-on-by for just a hot second, you'll still be on time. No foolin'.

If you're not sure if Goon Theft Auto is right for you, please refer to this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848871&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=194#post527845513

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4DC3EkobW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtZNKs3IaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtc01dFYu8

Love and Peace and Taco Grease, ***smooches!*** xoxo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I mostly play online solo, but will eventually be joined by my wife and friends. Until then, am I stupid for even attempting to source 3 crates at once for my warehouse? Because after fighting for my life, I'll manage to get 2 crates back, and have virtually no time to get the third. "Oh, hey, drive halfway across the map to get the last crate and bring it back. Btw, you now have 2 minutes. Good luck!"

Fffffffffffffff...

Also, holy loving gently caress do I hate bikers who show up while I'm trying to run supplies back even for my MC bar. gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I stopped trying with crates really early on, it's annoying as gently caress and the delivery missions are terrible. If you've got the criminal enterprises pack and the free stuff from that, what I did was gunrunning and counterfeit cash and upgrading those as soon as possible, alternating in the CEO work where you drive around the map picking up caches (sightseer, I think?) until I could buy and upgrade a cocaine lockup, then saving up for a nightclub. Once you have the nightclub money comes in fast and you can dedicate gunrunning to research and ignore the warehouse and MC businesses forever.

edit do these in invite only sessions so people don't ruin your day

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit do these in invite only sessions so people don't ruin your day

Oh, this is something I learned REAL quick, but thanks, for that and the rest of the info. I keep forgetting about the CEO missions.

gently caress, last night, I ended up calling in the buzzard twice at $25k per call, just to get my loving crates.

At that point, I was losing money on the whole venture, but it was the principle of the thing, goddammit.

But yeah, I'll do gunrunning and the sightseeing missions. Never did gunrunning, but I've done sightseeing, and enjoyed it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
With gunrunning you don't get any sort of bonus for selling a full batch at once like with crates, so it's fine to sell early which is easier. The free bunker makes it harder since it's so far away, but it's still doable. One full supply in the bunker should only make enough to require a single delivery vehicle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I watch videos from some of the FiveM roleplayers who do police vs. criminals stuff and those guys have memorized all the street names. Just amazing levels of map knowledge.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I caught a quick video of one of those that involved pulling someone over for speeding and it turned into a gun fight and it was the cringiest poo poo I'd ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, after playing it solo for about two weeks, my wife and two of our friends finally joined me in GTA Online last night.

I'm sure most if not all of you know what I mean when I describe it as multiplayer gaming nirvana. It was like pure-strain fun at its most elemental level and I don't think I've ever laughed as hard, at least not in a very long time.

"Hey, drop me off at the top of this super tall building. I'm gonna jump off and parachute down; it'll be cool!" - I said this before realizing that the lower 2 floors were significantly wider than the roof, and ragdoll'd accordingly as they all watched from the chopper.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

So, after playing it solo for about two weeks, my wife and two of our friends finally joined me in GTA Online last night.

I'm sure most if not all of you know what I mean when I describe it as multiplayer gaming nirvana. It was like pure-strain fun at its most elemental level and I don't think I've ever laughed as hard, at least not in a very long time.

"Hey, drop me off at the top of this super tall building. I'm gonna jump off and parachute down; it'll be cool!" - I said this before realizing that the lower 2 floors were significantly wider than the roof, and ragdoll'd accordingly as they all watched from the chopper.

"Land the chopper on that building, please. I wanna jump off it."

*exits helicopter and runs directly into tail rotor*

Good times!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

"Land the chopper on that building, please. I wanna jump off it."

*exits helicopter and runs directly into tail rotor*

Good times!

My first mistake was not realizing I couldn't rappel from the co-pilot chair. BAMF, I thud'd onto the roof, but I was ok!

And I survived subsequent thuds down the upper side of the building. I did eventually manage to jump off from a spot that seemed to be on the furthest edge of the building, and it was neat.

Then my pilot friend tried to see if he could clip me with the tail rotor blade.

He could.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

My first mistake was not realizing I couldn't rappel from the co-pilot chair. BAMF, I thud'd onto the roof, but I was ok!

And I survived subsequent thuds down the upper side of the building. I did eventually manage to jump off from a spot that seemed to be on the furthest edge of the building, and it was neat.

Then my pilot friend tried to see if he could clip me with the tail rotor blade.

He could.

The Conada heli is an expensive little thing, with few redeeming qualities. But it's NOTAR tail, combined with the tailplanes, make it a prime candidate for what I like to call, "Batter Up!":

Line up on the edge of a tall building and have the pilot try and swing the tail around to knock you off it.

That's right up there with, "Shaving the Beach", for heli-larity.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My favorite thing to do with friends now is to crash a plane into the zancudo tunnel and then use drones to instigate enough chaos that eventually you have cops fighting firefighters fighting base security while you sit on top of the tunnel and drink. You eventually get madness like busses full of people plowing into the fight and then getting mowed down, exploding, causing more cars to try and force their way through the wreckage in panic, inevitably clipping a cop which triggers their hyper realistic “execute the public” protocols.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ok, so I mostly play online solo, but will eventually be joined by my wife and friends. Until then, am I stupid for even attempting to source 3 crates at once for my warehouse? Because after fighting for my life, I'll manage to get 2 crates back, and have virtually no time to get the third. "Oh, hey, drive halfway across the map to get the last crate and bring it back. Btw, you now have 2 minutes. Good luck!"

Fffffffffffffff...

Also, holy loving gently caress do I hate bikers who show up while I'm trying to run supplies back even for my MC bar. gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you.

this doc doesn't account for the Agency, Auto Shop, or Acid Lab, but should help you get going without doing bullshit crates

(ignore anything it says about a Vehicle Warehouse, you don't need that in 2023)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1An_kcB7WFepgxEayKKNRCBORdxvEuwV59rW1EXyXQOg

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Preechr posted:

My favorite thing to do with friends now is to crash a plane into the zancudo tunnel and then use drones to instigate enough chaos that eventually you have cops fighting firefighters fighting base security while you sit on top of the tunnel and drink. You eventually get madness like busses full of people plowing into the fight and then getting mowed down, exploding, causing more cars to try and force their way through the wreckage in panic, inevitably clipping a cop which triggers their hyper realistic “execute the public” protocols.

I've only been able to pull this off in director mode (no police), but the underpasses in Los Santos proper are fun to set off a grenade launcher round after blocking two lanes. This seems to force traffic to stop just short enough to light the next cars on fire without exploding immediately. Cars brew up, people fall out on fire and screaming, wash, rinse, repeat. Play around with moving and panning the camera and you can create a solid mile of catterwauling death. Fire trucks and ambulances respond, only to have the personnel run around all ablaze.

Now, that sounds psychopathic, and it would be if you didn't get to hear all the voice actors really give it their all when asked to read as, "on fire". It's so loving ridiculous.

"Waa-Waaaa-Waughhhh-AHHHHHHH!"

"Oh-ho-ho-fuuuuck!"

Ranks right up there with shoving GTAIV peds down stairs.

WTF is wrong with me? Lol.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I still really just love either bumping someone into someone elseso they start fighting each other, or bumping into a pedestrian in front of the cops so when they attack you the cops kill them thoroughly.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

One of my favorite bits as a passenger is getting out of whatever vehicle we're in about 3 seconds too early so I jump/ragdoll out. Doing it from a helicopter is always the best, because you just flop out of it like 10 feet in the air, then pop up and are good to go.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I have to disagree… cars are the best by far. My little game is to exit a vehicle 10 feet from where im going and try to see if I can ragdoll into the yellow/blue circle.

It is always fun but the best is the maze tower bank entrance. Those oddly shaped walls make for some funny as hell and ridiculous animations where you hover for a few seconds… then fall flat on your face. Or get clipped by the wall and spin…

My girl has so much TBI it’s no wonder she’s mute

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know I was advised not to bother with triple crate sourcing but I gave it another shot with 2 more people, and it was beautiful. It was the sunken ship one, and my wife and our friend were on air support with a buzzard while I set the satchel charges and picked up the stuff underwater. By the time I was done, the enemies were all dead. I climbed up to a rock rather than go all the way to shore and they were actually able to pick me up.

The teamwork aspect in this game is A+

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I know I was advised not to bother with triple crate sourcing but I gave it another shot with 2 more people, and it was beautiful. It was the sunken ship one, and my wife and our friend were on air support with a buzzard while I set the satchel charges and picked up the stuff underwater. By the time I was done, the enemies were all dead. I climbed up to a rock rather than go all the way to shore and they were actually able to pick me up.

The teamwork aspect in this game is A+

spend your time any way you want if it's that important, crates just take a long time and are a pain to sell

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I haven't done them yet, but I think with the heists, you can set everyone's percentage of the profits. Can I do that with ceo stuff? I was selling acid and thought we were all going to get a big payout, but nope, just me.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I haven't done them yet, but I think with the heists, you can set everyone's percentage of the profits. Can I do that with ceo stuff?

No, CEO Assistants always get paid next to nothing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mp5 posted:

No, CEO Assistants always get paid next to nothing

Well, fuckin nuts to that, then.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Early on it was absolutely a way to sell shark cards so one guy could be the boss. Now? Why bother.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, if I want to make sure the 4 of us get huge equal payouts, we should do heists, correct?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yup. Not perfectly equal due to setup costs, but definitely moreso than CEO jobs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FFT posted:

Yup. Not perfectly equal due to setup costs, but definitely moreso than CEO jobs

I don't mind pulling acid delivery jobs to make up for my investment into the heists. I'm big on everyone getting an equal share and was not happy whatsoever when I asked "Hey, did everyone else get $115k just now?", and getting the response "try $11.5k".

Which, to their credit, they were happy with but I certainly wasn't. Plus it'll only be a matter of time before <12k is effectively nothing to them.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The only way to make ceo crate/biker drug/bunker gun deliveries fair is for everyone to have their own properties and trade off who is the boss. That way you get your 100k for yours and they get their 100k for theirs.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I forget the exact terminology but the CEO missions you can start from the quick menu are equal payout for the boss and associates. Activities like "Sightseer". They're an OK option for helping brand new players get some money while learning the ropes.
And related, remember that CEO associates can spawn vehicles from the interaction menu as well. In particular the Buzzard. The cooldown is shared organization wide, and if it's summoned while already out it will move the existing one to their location with the same level of damage. For Motorcycle clubs if you promote a member to Road Captain they can summon a unique buzzard but it doesn't have missiles.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I've summoned the buzzard a few times for us to get into major shenanigans. Great stuff! I'm looking to eventually buy it or a similarly armed one so I don't have to keep paying the fee to basically rent it.

I'm getting conflicting reports online; with the iFruit app gone, is there no way to customize license plates until Rockstar adds that functionality to their website?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'm getting conflicting reports online; with the iFruit app gone, is there no way to customize license plates until Rockstar adds that functionality to their website?

Unfortunately correct.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

until Rockstar adds that functionality to their website?

This is extremely optimistic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is extremely optimistic.

Oh, I know. I'm at least glad that at least so far for me, it's only something like this.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Yeah, I've summoned the buzzard a few times for us to get into major shenanigans. Great stuff! I'm looking to eventually buy it or a similarly armed one so I don't have to keep paying the fee to basically rent it.

If you absolutely, positively must change your license plate I managed to get it working about a year ago by digging up some obscure guide to run an old version of the app via an Android emulator on PC, but it was extremely sketchy and I don't recommend it. Also I don't know where the original post is anymore.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It's server-side. Even older versions of iFruit won't let you log into the app at all. It's officially been End Of Life'd.

quote:

Grand Theft Auto: iFruit App Shutdown
Created December 8, 2022
Updated December 21, 2022

Question: Why can I no longer access the Grand Theft Auto: iFruit App?

Answer: The Grand Theft Auto: iFruit App will no longer be supported as of December 12, 2022. We are currently developing a new method to allow players to customize their license plates via the GTA Online website, and we will provide an update when there is more information to share.

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/11966031291027/Grand-Theft-Auto-iFruit-App-Shutdown

Otacon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 28, 2023

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I don't mind pulling acid delivery jobs to make up for my investment into the heists. I'm big on everyone getting an equal share and was not happy whatsoever when I asked "Hey, did everyone else get $115k just now?", and getting the response "try $11.5k".

Which, to their credit, they were happy with but I certainly wasn't. Plus it'll only be a matter of time before <12k is effectively nothing to them.

The Original & Doomsday Heists are a lot more trouble than they're worth to do more than once. Very different design sensibilities from the new stuff, the setup missions can take a while (they were designed to be tedious slogs to incentivize Shark Cards).

If you want to get yourself and your friends paid with Heist-related content, focus on the Diamond Casino and Cayo Perico. Those two can be done with flexible numbers of players, and only require quick in-lobby preps that are even faster once you're familiar with them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mp5 posted:

The Original & Doomsday Heists are a lot more trouble than they're worth to do more than once. Very different design sensibilities from the new stuff, the setup missions can take a while (they were designed to be tedious slogs to incentivize Shark Cards).

If you want to get yourself and your friends paid with Heist-related content, focus on the Diamond Casino and Cayo Perico. Those two can be done with flexible numbers of players, and only require quick in-lobby preps that are even faster once you're familiar with them.

This is likely what we'll do, once we fully recover from "we need to do as much bullshit as possible!" mode.

Our little tradition now is log on, maybe clothes shop but at least change, head to the casino, play some blackjack, and then head back to one of our places and decide our first Stupid Activity.

Aside from that, we did some VIP work, which was great. Looking forward to doing more of that. Mostly sightseer so far, but what's everyone's favourite VIP mission?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I hope you're all remembering to spin the wheel while you're in the casino too!

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
TIL if you spawn a CEO luxury helicopter by calling assistant and go inside a building, it takes off without you so don't get a fast travel use out of it. On my Alt I saw it take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

You do get some decent cash bonuses for completing all of the original heists on hard mode for the first time so they might be worth running through once.

The main issues for new players are that the heist finales and some setup missions are pretty hard thanks to the insane npc accuracy and some mission / gear constraints, and that the time you need to invest is significant.

I remember doing an all-in-order, hard mode, same-group run of all the heists back in like 2014, and even with a group of players that were very familiar with every role in every heist it still took us something like 11 hours over 2 or 3 days.