Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

MrMojok posted:

How in the gently caress do you do pinch harmonics? I feel like this is something that seems like it should be really simple, and for some reason I just cannot get the technique right.

This was one of the things I wanted to do when I was playing guitar decades ago, and now that I have started again, especially since I am listening to a lot of =VH=, I want to try and do now.

I don't seem to be able to learn the touch required. Is there any shortcut, or do I just have to keep trying, and eventually I'll discover the feel, and it will be like the moment I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, and then it's just there and I'll always know it from then on?!?

This is so frustrating. The most I seem to be able to get is a muted buzzy sound.

it's a combo of location and technique as mentioned in the previous two posts - you gotta hit the right spot and it's a matter of picking then immediately touching the right spot with your thumb. bike riding is an apt analogy - not hard, just gotta find the feel and the spot.

there was a post here years ago that talked about there being a spot just past the edge of the neck pickup that faces the bridge that's kind of a cheat code for pinch harmonics and if i'm just making dumb squealy noises i usually do it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Today’s guitar achievements:

- Figured out two octaves’ worth of the major scale
- And therefore unlocked modes, sort of
- Found the (a?) major chord shape

Still not sure what I should be doing right now, but I continue to plonk away.

Sounds like good stuff! Just keep learning new riffs and songs to give all that context. With the A shape, you can play most of Anarchy in the UK, for instance.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Pinch technique feels very much like picking mistakes when you’re learning it, at least in my experience. You need to snag the edge of your thumb on the string immediately after the pick hits, and it needs to be in the right spot. So it’s like you don’t have great pick control and you keep on bumping your thumb and killing the note, but intentionally and in a spot that paradoxically makes a note.

I hold my pick with the point roughly aligned with the inner edge corner of my thumbnail, so when I hit it’s that bit of skin right on the edge of the thumb.

Luckily, there’s a boatload of nodes you can aim for! All at different pitches too, so once you get a single good pinch down, you can fret different notes and hit different spots for cool effect.

the 9th and 10th frets should have a node that’s at roughly the halfway point between a set of humbuckers. That can be a good starting point, as it’s a much girthier harmonic and sustains well, so it’s not like the super high pinches you need to do some massaging to sustain and sound cool.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm seeing different things online, but you guys tend to know the score! I stripped down my pedal board ro tuner>compressor>BD>Chorus>Delay>reverb for this dark wavy thing I'm planning on with a friend. For shallow reasons (it's white and looks a bit mean) I want to use my SG in this project, but it sounds kind of mushy. I guess my question is - how do I (or should I) use compression with humbuckers?

This is slightly frivolous, because I could use my Tele or Strat but they are capri orange and yellowed olympic white, so not quite as goth.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I'm seeing different things online, but you guys tend to know the score! I stripped down my pedal board ro tuner>compressor>BD>Chorus>Delay>reverb for this dark wavy thing I'm planning on with a friend. For shallow reasons (it's white and looks a bit mean) I want to use my SG in this project, but it sounds kind of mushy. I guess my question is - how do I (or should I) use compression with humbuckers?

This is slightly frivolous, because I could use my Tele or Strat but they are capri orange and yellowed olympic white, so not quite as goth.

You could probably make the capri orange guitar look like a jack o lantern with eyes and mouth decals, idk if that's goth enough

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like if Robert Smith Himself can put out Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me you can do anything without losing goth cred as long as you're honest in the work. Play from the heart and dress like an idiot if it makes you feel alright, and a yellowish strat will be fine.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'd probably just play the strat but...what about a black jazzmaster?

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-player-jazzmaster-black-wmatching-headcap-pure-1181413

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Jazzmaster is on the want list, but no new guitars for me for a while and my partner and I have agreed to be "one in one out" (they're a guitarist too)!

Honestly, I'll probably just use one of the Fenders, most likely the Tele. I got close to the sound I wanted with my old Jaguar, but that guitar could be a pain in the arse for other reasons.

My local store I use for luthier stuff have started putting out their own guitars and pick-ups, S-Types, T-Types and a Jazzmaster shape so far. I haven't had a chance to play any of these yet, but they look gorgeous:

https://rjkelectronics.com/product-category/rjkguitars/

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 24, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Disco Pope posted:

A Jazzmaster is on the want list, but no new guitars for me for a while and my partner and I have agreed to be "one in one out" (they're a guitarist too)!

Honestly, I'll probably just use one of the Fenders, most likely the Tele. I got close to the sound I wanted with my old Jaguar, but that guitar could be a pain in the arse for other reasons.

My local store I use for luthier stuff have started putting out their own guitars and pick-ups, S-Types, T-Types and a Jazzmaster shape so far. I haven't had a chance to play any of these yet, but they look gorgeous:

https://rjkelectronics.com/product-category/rjkguitars/

i haven't been explicitly one in one out but i do guitar purges every once in a while when i impulse buy poo poo and don't play it much and i never feel bad after cleaning out stuff. buying used helps mitigate the loss in this regard.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I want to use my SG in this project, but it sounds kind of mushy. I guess my question is - how do I (or should I) use compression with humbuckers?

I know the Keeley Compressor Plus has a single coil/humbucker switch on it, so I looked up what that was doing to try to get an idea. I believe that switch changes the attack to be quicker (smooth the initial peak faster to lessen the "clack"), and also a faster release (to lessen the amount of time the signal can get "mushy" after the initial note attack). It seems both changes are to account for the higher output of a humbucker (vs. single coil).

Now, to be extra confusing, it isn't always consistent between compressor pedals what sustain/release controls do. Some pedals have a compression release but also a separate "sustain" release (as the Keeley does). I guess those kinds might technically be compressor/sustainer combination pedals? So YMMV depending on what you have.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i blew thru my guitar budget already, so i wonder if someone would volunteer to check out one of these 300 dollar strandberg clones from a maker called "Latitude" https://latitudeguitar.com/

it says that it has stainless steel frets, and i see it has the ergonomic body shape. normal neck and no multiscale though. probably really light! could be a fantastic value, if there isn't some kind of catch.

Mine just landed, Fedex straight from China. On first glance it seems REALLY nice for the money, but on closer inspection there are definitely some caveats.

It shipped in a box inside the very nice gig bag with no additional packing. It did arrive intact with no damage but that's sketchy. The one I ordered has a different bridge than in the picture but that's okay cause it's the nicer monorail style bridge. The fretwork is insane at first glance. Way rounder and cleaner fret ends than one would expect on a 300 dollar guitar. Looks like the frets were shaped and dressed and then pressed in which is odd, but if you do it right it will work just fine. There's about 1/32" of fretboard beyond the fret ends which I will probably roll off with a little sanding. It's extremely light and comfortable. I plugged it in for a minute and it sounds surprisingly good on both pickups, and the coil splitting works well. As for electronics the cavity is fully shielded with copper tape. Solder joints look decent but the components are cheapo chinesium junk. Probably going to throw some duncans and Switchcraft pots/switches in there. Output jack is a very nice barrel style, and the placement on the body is excellent. All the hardware on the guitar is nice and snug but there are tool marks all over the screwheads. All pretty minor complaints. A profoundly weird thing that I have never seen- there is ZERO branding on this thing, no serial number, no country of origin. Nothing whatsoever.

Here's the big issue -the tuning went wonky as the strings weren't properly stretched, so I tried to gently stretch them and one broke. No big deal right? Well the strings were all kinda binding in the nut when I tried to remove them. Turns out they didn't deburr the metal part of the locking nut when they tapped the slots for the lockdown screws so I get to go to harbor freight to get a tap set and something like a skinny lil saw to fix the slots. I do think it's gonna be a great guitar once I'm done.

Overall, actually really great for the money BUT if you don't have the kind of guitar tech chops that I do then you might need to spend another 100-200 bucks of tech work for you to get it rockin'. If you do order one, get it from Amazon so you have a reasonably easy return/exchange process. I'll post a quick video review once I get it running.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 24, 2023

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

A couple weeks ago I posted about putting Fluence Abasis in my Strandberg 8.

Well, I tried my best, but after four failed attempts I had to take it to the shop. Turns out not having done pickups for 10 years and only ever doing passives meant I had no idea how to do it right.

Still not fully sure what I wasn’t understanding, but could’ve been a bad jack or switch tbh.

But it’s back now, and minus occasional cutting out from what I think is the jack touching the cavity cover (a known issue with these), I’m happy as hell!

They have a significantly restrained bass compared to the OEMs in voice 1, voice 2 seems to be a little bassier and hotter, and voice 3 is a fantastic split sound.

Biggest surprise has been the volume and clarity of the 8th string. The note pops in a way I’m not used to, even after 13 years of playing over a dozen different 8s. I’m thinking it’s a combination of string gauge, scale length, and pickup magnetic field, but holy crap is it cool! I already play with a light touch, so this is giving me a better tone there.

Compared to the Moderns I tried, this is just leagues better. Moderns felt very midrangey and stiff and the coil splits were pretty lacking. These are pretty much supercharged Dimarzio Ionizers, which is exactly what I wanted.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Fishman voicing doesn't wire up like a passive coil split where they are either connected or they aren't, they are basically activated by grounding their respective circuits. Perhaps that's why?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

darkwasthenight posted:

Just listed my Bad Monkey drive on ebay because it owes me nothing (and I'd gladly try drive the price down by letting it go cheap). I'll let you know if I make enough to buy everyone new avs.

£75. Pretty steep for what it is but glad it didn't go insane - I started feeling some kind of way about the crazy prices so nearly ended the auction early but it didn't go much higher in the end.

Then I plugged the BM in at work, decided it sounded pretty good and had second thoughts, but I've shipped it now anyway...

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Fishman voicing doesn't wire up like a passive coil split where they are either connected or they aren't, they are basically activated by grounding their respective circuits. Perhaps that's why?

Wouldn’t surprise me - each pickup having 7 drat wires coming out of it, then the grounding reqs and complex suggested setups was super overwhelming.

I even tried wiring direct to output from both bridge and neck, did the grounds, and nothing. Most I got was a very very faint signal in 2nd position, and that was after trying 3 switches and multiple pots/jacks.

In the end it’s some good encouragement to get better at wiring though. I want to be able to tackle anything my guitars could need, and this is the first time I’ve had to go to a shop in like a decade. A bit humbling, but a good reminder that my skills and knowledge can deteriorate over time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

i don't wanna post the scrap because it's gonna be something my band uses and it's not finished yet.

this probably comes up a bunch or at least i feel like i've asked it before, but one of the things i really like is feedback sounds as a transitional thing-- over the last little bit of a verse headed into a heavier/louder chorus, that sort of thing. is there a pedal i can step on to get this effect and do it in the actual room or live?

Digitech FreqOut maybe?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I traded in my 50w for a 100w Katana for the effects loop so I can start screwing with a looper for practice purposes. Do you guys have a recommendation for a simple but capable looper for people who've never looped before?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

landgrabber posted:

i don't wanna post the scrap because it's gonna be something my band uses and it's not finished yet.

this probably comes up a bunch or at least i feel like i've asked it before, but one of the things i really like is feedback sounds as a transitional thing-- over the last little bit of a verse headed into a heavier/louder chorus, that sort of thing. is there a pedal i can step on to get this effect and do it in the actual room or live?
few options here. there’s digitech freqout. boss also used to make a feedback pedal. death by audio has the total sonic annihilation. I think fender used to make a feedback pedal also. and there’s a behringer one. and the fairfield hor d’oeuvre.

something else you could try is recording feedback onto a looper pedal or sampler that you activate when you need it. you could feed that through a volume pedal to control the degree of saturation

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New headless Latitude guitar update: Managed to fix it in about an hour including the trip to harbor freight/dispensary for uhhh tools.

After doing a VERY quick setup- we're talking a tiny neck adjustment and raising the height on like one saddle, and I am pretty drat impressed. It was in china 3 days ago and it's already settling in and playing this well. Neck is by far the best I've ever played in this price point, and I guarantee I've played a lot more cheap guitars than you cause I'm old and worked in music store specializing in less expensive gear for a decade or so. Seriously this neck is loving fantastic. The rosewood was a tad dry which was no surprise, but the thing that did surprise me is how nice the shape is and how smooth it feels. It's supposedly roasted maple/padauk but the maple is a lot lighter than my other roasted neck guitar, and that neck isn't particularly dark for roasted maple. Either way, whatever it actually is, the neck is really great and that fretwork is pretty stunning for the price. No, the frets aren't PLEK quality laser level or anything like that, but about what I would expect for a modern guitar in this price point. Plays all over the neck buzz free with low action and minimal relief.

Day 1 verdict after playing it for about an hour: If you are even a little interested in headless guitars and you don't mind doing some relatively easy guitar techin' on it then this is a slam dunk purchase for 300 bucks. I'll post periodic updates after I've lived with it some more.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

something else you could try is recording feedback onto a looper pedal or sampler that you activate when you need it

This is probably the option that's going to be closest to what you want if you want to play through that feedback. What you're hearing is a distorted guitar coming in and feeding back, if you're going from a clean/driven verse part to a big squeal at the end and then the big distorted chorus your only other choice is going to be that or being really close to a loud amp, stomping on the distortion, and not playing for a second to get that squeal.

When I was young I messed around with trying to have a second amp or speaker that I could grab and put in front of my guitar real quick but it never worked out right and was a very annoying signal chain to deal with.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nice, thanks for checking it out and reporting back -- i'm glad it turned out to be legit.

next time you post an update about it, im curious about its weight too. and if you have played a strandberg before, im curious to hear your comparison

regarding the branding, it doesn't say Latitude on the body, like in the picture?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

thank you!!

i'd love to keep up the pace of maybe a song a week, but it's hard to without accountability. throwing this out there: would anybody be interested in a thread to share new recordings, or something like that? i'm exploring different options, curious if there's any interest in ML

i agree with the flightless bird from the south!

i dont think theres anything wrong with posting your stuff here, but if you decide to make a new thread, i would subscribe to that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

duodenum posted:

I traded in my 50w for a 100w Katana for the effects loop so I can start screwing with a looper for practice purposes. Do you guys have a recommendation for a simple but capable looper for people who've never looped before?

In much the same position as you. I've never looped before. I bought a BOSS RC-5. Simple enough for me with a lot of options if you decide to dig deeper.

I absolutely suck at guitar tech and even my dummy self could get looping in about an hour of fiddling and a bit of reading of the instructions.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Just spent a few hours with the fishman Abasi in the studio and I’m impressed. A boatload of tones that seem mostly aimed at the music I write.

Voice 2 is gonna be my main, I can’t find any complaints with it’s distortion and it’s got this low-mid snarl that’s really pleasing. Find myself hitting the same couple of djenty powerchords just to hear it bite.
Voice 1 is a bit more modern, found a couple of songs that can use it well but it’s a hair too “precise” for daily use. Think I need just a touch of flub for most of my poo poo.
Voice 3 is nice, albeit a little boosted on extreme lows and highs. I’m using Tosin’s wiring setup, so position 2 is inner coils routed through bridge and 4 is the neck outer coil, which is apparently some weird alnico setup with a vertical magnet in the lower position? I dunno, these guys did some strange poo poo internally here. But it’s cool, will require some patch adjustments on the AxeFX but sounded fantastic through a mesa.

It’s not 100% of what I want, but I add in the guitar with the Ionizers and I’m fully covered for 8 strings. That has slightly better cleans and the split has a totally unique grind I haven’t heard anywhere else.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

RE: loopers, EytschPi42 did full explanation videos on the Boss loopers a few years ago, including the RC-5 and RC-10R.
RC-5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyBJEyT7WWY
RC-10R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlrLRrku5vs

My experience from trying to learn (and mostly failing) to use a looper is you can never seem to have enough foot switches. The recent Boss loopers all have MIDI jacks so that you can add a footswitch MIDI controller (like a Morningstar MC6 or something) later if you want.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I had whatever the Digitech looper was like a really long time ago and I loved it; I have a cheap one now that I hardly use.

Edit:
This one

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

jamman is a classic

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

jamman is a classic

I prefer the Boss style pedals to the vanilla one I have now because they’re a way bigger target and that means the difference between something that loops correctly and something that’s a second off and sounds awful.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

nice, thanks for checking it out and reporting back -- i'm glad it turned out to be legit.

next time you post an update about it, im curious about its weight too. and if you have played a strandberg before, im curious to hear your comparison

regarding the branding, it doesn't say Latitude on the body, like in the picture?

Update #2: Just beat the poo poo out of it for a couple hours. I am SERIOUSLY impressed now. It might be the most resonant electric guitar I've ever played. The entire body vibrates when you play it. I'd guess it weighs between 6 and 7 lbs. I'll try to see if I can figure out a way to weigh it. Everything is super locked down so it absolutely will not go out of tune once the strings are stretched. I pick pretty hard, especially playing rhythm and I barely had to touch the tuners at all once the strings settled. This thing rules. I wanna see what my friend who owns the store nearby thinks it cost me. I'll say this- If you bought one paying the 300 I did, then had to pay shipping to and from me and tip me a case of beer it would still be an incredibly good deal. It's a keeper and it deserves some really good electronics, so that's next. That said, the electronics are sound enough to just leave stock.

Gramps' quick halfass rating is as follows:

Fit and Finish: 8.5 The neck is basically perfect, the body is well painted but it was not carefully masked so it's the teeniest bit sloppy around the neck joint and cavity. Neck joint is very tight, guitar feels super solid. Frets are perfectly rounded on the ends and very well polished and smooth.

Materials: 10 Solid Roasted Ash body and a Roasted Maple neck with Stainless Steel frets at this price is unheard of.

Hardware: 6 This would actually be closer to a 9 if I didn't have to bust out the dremel. The bridge is a little complicated but is very stable and feels nice under your hand. The tuning is smooth and accurate with absolutely no slop or backlash. The locking nut as mentioned previously was poorly finished and required deburring, but now that it's good it's a solid, simple, stable unit. The actual bone nut is well cut and the appropriate height to play nice with the zero fret.

Electronics: 6 Solid sounding pickups with coil splitting (which you don't see often on 300 dollar guitars), decent enough pots and switches, and passable soldering. Was surprised to see the cavity was fully shielded as well.

Playability: 9 We'll see if this goes up as it continues to settle. Right now the action is where I like it, but it may be able to go even lower. Couldn't get the neck completely dead straight, but I also haven't done a full A-Z setup on it busting out the radius gauges and whatnot. I'm not convinced the frets are perfectly level, but they're close enough that most people wouldn't notice or care.

Vibe: 7 Very fun and comfortable to play. Doesn't whisper ideas into my head like the truly great guitars I've played, but I just got the thing. Hopefully it's full of new songs.

Repairability: 7 Can't go any higher than this just because of the fact that restringing this thing onstage mid-set is basically a no go. Getting the strings seated properly took a bit of fiddling until I figured it out and I've strung thousands of guitars in my lifetime. It also requires 2 different sizes of allen keys just to restring because the lockdown screws at the nut are one size and the lock screws on the bridge are a second, tinier size. There is also a third even tinier wrench for adjusting saddle height. Pickup routing and electronics are all standard size so it will be easy to upgrade. I can say this- the last 2 $1000+ Ibanez guitars I bought took more fuckery to get them right where I want them.

Value: 10 These things are a steal. With name brand pickups in it, I could tell people it was a thousand dollar guitar and people would believe me without batting an eye.

Overall: 8

TL:DR, Buy one.

Edit: I forgot the Strandberg comparison. Very similar size/weight/balance. Strandbergs definitely have better electronics so they do sound a bit better from what I remember but I'd be curious to do a side by side. The Strandbergs I played were also absolutely flawless from a fit and finish perspective. I prefer the neck on the Latitude to the Endurneck, but that's preference. The Strandberg is definitely a better guitar, but if I were a Strandberg dealer I would not want one of these Latidudes hanging on the wall anywhere near the Strandbergs cause it would trigger every sales guy's favorite question "why is this one so much more money?"

Double edit: One thing I forgot that bears mentioning is that this thing is tiny. It would make an ideal travel guitar and it's the only guitar I've ever owned that I'd throw in an overhead bin on an airplane. No headstock or tuning machines to break off. The only thing I'd maybe worry about is the switch tip or the tuners on the bridge taking a hit but even if it did it's not like this is a 5000 dollar guitar. If you need a travel guitar buy this guitar. It absolutely embarrasses any other so called travel guitar I've ever seen.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 25, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

lmao at stewmac shipping, $13 for a neck shim

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
$13 to send you a Target giftcard with $0.67 left on it?????

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
re cheap import guitars I have had great luck with both my eart and the iyv I bought on a whim. neither required more than a little trussy adjustment to get where I need em.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

duodenum posted:

I picked up a Boss RC-1 recently, because my other looper, a Digitech Trio+ was just too much setup to get going when all I really needed was a one button simple thing. I’ve been pretty happy with it, though I’m already thinking it would be nice to have saved loops. In the end, it does exactly what I wanted though.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

re cheap import guitars I have had great luck with both my eart and the iyv I bought on a whim. neither required more than a little trussy adjustment to get where I need em.

That lil Latitude is from the Eart factory so this makes sense.

By the way, is it "E Art", "Earth with no h", or "Ear with a t"? Fuckin weird name.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Gramps posted:

That lil Latitude is from the Eart factory so this makes sense.

By the way, is it "E Art", "Earth with no h", or "Ear with a t"? Fuckin weird name.

If you dig around on their website enough you can figure out it’s for like Electric Art or something, it’s “e-art”, which is coincidentally the stupidest sounding pronunciation for that I could think of. Eeee-yart!!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was looking into loopers recently but was wishing there was one where i could adjust the beginning and end of the loop after the fact so i could get everything more in rhythm. not sure that exists, or if it does it's just ableton...

the looper loading feedback samples is a good idea though. hm.

i think ultimately atm i need like... fretwork, or a new amp and cab that are more of what i want. it's unfortunate cause those are usually more expensive to do.

blah

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

landgrabber posted:

i was looking into loopers recently but was wishing there was one where i could adjust the beginning and end of the loop after the fact so i could get everything more in rhythm. not sure that exists, or if it does it's just ableton...

i think ultimately atm i need like... fretwork, or a new amp and cab that are more of what i want. it's unfortunate cause those are usually more expensive to do.

blah

Have you considered replacing the speaker in your current cab? That's responsible for a substantial portion of your sound, pretty simple, and considerably cheaper than replacing the whole cab.

Honestly fretwork is probably the best investment, despite being the least exciting, as is typical.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Fretwork is good as hell. The most important thing to me by far is a well playing guitar with low action.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

I am SERIOUSLY impressed now. It might be the most resonant electric guitar I've ever played. The entire body vibrates when you play it.

the strandberg vibrates like that too, and you can really feel it in the neck. perhaps because the headstock is missing?

Gramps posted:

I'd guess it weighs between 6 and 7 lbs. I'll try to see if I can figure out a way to weigh it.

i use a kitchen scale for it, and i just try to find the balance point on the guitar so it doesn't fall off.

i appreciate the review. the tuning stability thing is huge, and it's a major benefit to guitar players of any skill level.

regarding replacing a string on stage: that is a bummer about these types of guitars, including the strandberg. But it's good to have a backup guitar, Right? Then any guitar worth buying once is usually worth buying twice, especially if it offers something other guitars don't. That's a lot more palatable with guitar that costs 300 bux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

blah

before you spend $$$ on fretwork, i'd like to draw your attention to the recent thread research on tiny guitars for tiny people.