Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah that and I thought the post was saying us LEO is worse than Chinese secret police re: data which, well, I was gonna need some proof for. All a misunderstanding

Not worse, but gradable on the same scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

When I say social media is terrible I specifically mean the algorithms, which is why I like SA.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Me, wise: Social media is terrible, including SA

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

Kith posted:

Do you happen to have more information on this? It sounds insane and interesting.

Here’s a gift link to an article detailing a suspected site in NYC
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/12/...ce=articleShare

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

When I say social media is terrible I specifically mean the algorithms, which is why I like SA.

To be fair, they’re relatively simple to manipulate if you have a basic understanding of what an algorithm is and how it works.

Most people do not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Re cops and social media,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNwBmHunWM

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697

greed wins

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh FFS

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Always make sure you get your proper chocolate-to-peanut-butter ratios correct. Otherwise, this happens.

https://twitter.com/livenowfox/status/1639451785881600004

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Always make sure you get your proper chocolate-to-peanut-butter ratios correct. Otherwise, this happens.

Natural gas explosion?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s conceivable that it’s a powdered sugar explosion or similar.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That or steam

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MRC48B posted:

That or steam

The gout of flame would suggest maybe not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Was this the one that that terrible comic nerd kicked off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was this the one that that terrible comic nerd kicked off

But seriously, “sort of”.

Chuck “Space Diaper” Wendig is not a party to the lawsuit, but only because he caught so much flak for his bad takes that he had to write an article entitled “No, I Am Not Suing The Internet Archive”.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Do I even want to ask about the "Space Diaper" thing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Do I even want to ask about the "Space Diaper" thing?

It’s less personally embarrassing for him than you are imagining, but more professionally embarrassing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

loving hell. It reminds me of this classic image:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Law enforcement leverages data obtained from social media all the time, one recent example is using Twitter and Facebook post and client location data to identify and prosecute people who attended J6.

And that's just domestic law enforcement. US intelligence agencies regularly gather information from social media accounts all over the world, and will summarily execute people based on this data.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 25, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Neo-nazi sympathiser and TERF supreme Posie Parker just finished her tour of Australia, where she was hounded by transgender counter-protesters and antifascists at every step. She came to New Zealand, and, well,

https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1639421143303208961

She has subsequently cancelled the rest of her appearances in the country and went back to the UK.

You know, sometimes you wake up and the news is good :unsmith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She got scared so bad by people yelling at her that she fled the loving country lmao

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Here's hoping people in the UK continue the good work of their Aotearoan comrades!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She got scared so bad by people yelling at her that she fled the loving country lmao

Indeed. Thanks for some good news op

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1639560797738156033?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Soup making the news twice in a week.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

YESSSSSSSSS

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kith posted:

Yeah TikTok doesn't need to be banned, it needs to be better. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen.
I'm fine with policies keeping it off of government systems and publicly available training on what the impacts are. Civilian organizations could do the same. I don't see why it needs to go further than that.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

The gout of flame would suggest maybe not.

I see what you did there...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I guess if you don't believe that TikTok has as one of its primary purposes the collection of metadata for a hostile foreign government then it makes sense for wanting it to stay on the US market.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

I guess if you don't believe that TikTok has as one of its primary purposes the collection of metadata for a hostile foreign government then it makes sense for wanting it to stay on the US market.

Even if I did believe this, once again, what exactly is this hostile foreign government going to do with the data that is any worse than what the private corporations and US government are already doing with the information?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I want Tik Tok to stay because it's where I learn all my hot new dance moves

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxH8PMu7vOSV0_FLmm6B8QCxkIF0YsX0j-

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

facialimpediment posted:

There's definately a couple of gas bottles going for a stroll in there at one point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fknlo posted:

Even if I did believe this, once again, what exactly is this hostile foreign government going to do with the data that is any worse than what the private corporations and US government are already doing with the information?

This is an odd question after Russia's concerted effort to use social media to tip the balance towards a fascist puppet in the White House.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Burt posted:

There's definately a couple of gas bottles going for a stroll in there at one point.

I'm annoyed that there's a Reading, PA (Pronounced Redding) and also a West Redding. Which I'm sure is not pronounced as Redding.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is an odd question after Russia's concerted effort to use social media to tip the balance towards a fascist puppet in the White House.

You could also claim that tech billionaires are using their platform to influence nearly all elections in the country as well.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

You could also claim that tech billionaires are using their platform to influence nearly all elections in the country as well.

Yes and?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fknlo posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Singularity of purpose and intent of a totalitarian government vs the desultory whims of techbros.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Singularity of purpose and intent of a totalitarian government vs the desultory whims of techbros.

With the identical outcome for the average citizen of living in a destabilized fascist government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Incredible. I thought for sure holding it would be a lost cause. Russia wasted so much on this.

That Works posted:

With the identical outcome for the average citizen of living in a destabilized fascist government

It’s really just a fight over who gets to do it to Americans.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 25, 2023