Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Martman posted:

i will withhold judgment of arceus because I haven't tried it. otherwise pokemon is for babies

scarvio is goated. mario is for babies too and it rules. going to go pace around for a few minutes while screaming into ap illow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

ilmucche posted:

What is it with Australians and weird hostile posting about sports?

Free tony montana

As SPR demonstrated plenty, online Aussies and weird hostile posting went to grade school together.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TheMightyBoops posted:

I want to like it but it puts me to sleep within an hour of picking it back up, that’s not even really a dig it just makes me sleepy.

It's a low energy game with a tired adult cast

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tenkaris posted:

As SPR demonstrated plenty, online Aussies and weird hostile posting went to grade school together.

spr was Australian? :ms:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Heath posted:

It's a low energy game with a tired adult cast

sounds relatable tbh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

oh I'm just sitting in sydney, watchin the telly on the satellite at 5 AM so I can catch the 2006 Golden State Warriors
Timezone difference isn't that severe, NBA games usually start around noon Aus-time. Granted, that's technically noon the next day, but that's just because time is weird and probably doesn't exist.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

24 demons and they all have repel phys ftw

I liked that they figured out a way to give almost every boss/demon elemental weaknesses and still make them challenging

Coming straight from nocturne, the debuffs not being insanely op hosed with me for a bit but yeah the bosses so far have all been great fun. And the game just expects you to break it in different ways than 20 years ago. I fought an abscess miniboss last night that was weak to sleep so just locked him down at the end of every turn and he never got a chance to even act. Felt good

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Mjaulm was the artist who did that.

nice, were pretty cool. did they do any other goon art things? i remember the e/n project kinda imploded as one would expect from an e/n project, but i remember liking their style.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paracaidas posted:

In addition to pentyne's suggestions, some of the old ARG threads can be good too (particularly Sara), depending on your friend's interests.

Actual forum lore question: I half remember an old thread, probably GBS, about unsecured, internet connected cameras. For as absolutely creepy and depraved as that should have been, I recall it being unfathomably wholesome? Like, some european office worker seeing his security camera going nuts and writing yes/no questions to his interlopers that were answered by camera tilts/pans? Maybe offering it cookies?

Did this happen? Did it avoid the seemingly inevitable awfulness of such a thread?

Grassy Knowles posted:

This definitely happened and i think more than once. Before security cams were widespread consumer products, most unsecured cams were interesting views of semi-public spaces. Like the first intended webcam stream was to view an office coffee pot to see if it was ready to pour.

The european office worker intentionally shared his cam and the controls to it for interaction, that was super cute.

It happened multiple times. I can think of two others outside of the one that went down in flames recently.

And no it wasn't more wholesome content wise. It was the same stuff. Ring cameras are more widespread now but webcams were cheap and widespread by 2010.

The thread atmosphere and posting is what was giving you that impression of wholesomeness. People were in good spirits finding interesting things but there were still people's houses. Nobody was really outspoken or openly critical of the digital voyeur stuff like they are now so it seems different but I tried the search in the second thread and it was like two parks, a marina then a naked elderly couple sitting in their bed.

At one point there was a webcam in a family's kitchen and goons were watching it trying to identify them to mess with them. Finding those threads and reading through them would probably be less wholesome than you remember.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Martman posted:

i will withhold judgment of arceus because I haven't tried it. otherwise pokemon is for babies

yeah the lil guys that spend their days sucking titties and having their every whim catered to, who'd aspire to be like that. imbecile.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smt5 rules bcos they put all the world detail into side quests/random npcs + lot so f incidental stuff to do w different religious pantheons instead of having boring humans talking endlessly

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

probably still is, tbh

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
i have a question

randaconda got permaed for something like sex crimes charges iirc, but how did that even get discovered? far as I could tell at the time he was a prolific pyf poster one day and then permabanned the next

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

500 good dogs posted:

i have a question

randaconda got permaed for something like sex crimes charges iirc, but how did that even get discovered? far as I could tell at the time he was a prolific pyf poster one day and then permabanned the next

That's how it was discovered, he was a super prolific poster, then he just vanished one day. Someone who knew his name looked into it, and, turns out he was arrested for (I think) possession of CP?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

I think she’s from the UK originally but lives in Australia. Or some such thing

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

500 good dogs posted:

i have a question

Stuff like that it’s usually because someone knows them irl and PMs an admit. Same thing with why that “goon dating show” thread got shut down. Probably not hard to speculate as to why but one day it was just “something very bad happened” and the thread was closed.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Heath posted:

That's how it was discovered, he was a super prolific poster, then he just vanished one day. Someone who knew his name looked into it, and, turns out he was arrested for (I think) possession of CP?

jesus

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i thought spr was new zealand? the lore is so complicated.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Stux posted:

smt5 rules bcos they put all the world detail into side quests/random npcs + lot so f incidental stuff to do w different religious pantheons instead of having boring humans talking endlessly

Plus I can have Pyro jack follow me around hee-lping me find treasure ho

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Also good lord that Experiment ZDR fight was a bastard. The game does NOT do a good job of telling the player that when he’s spitting those tracking pink goo bubbles at you, he’s actually healing himself and you have to quickly shoot his arms.

I only figured it out because I had a fight go 20+ minutes and figured something was wrong.

Nearing the endgame now I think(?) but I’m doing my favorite part of Metroid games which is revisiting all of the previously explored areas and getting everything I couldn’t before.

Still don’t have power bombs though although inexplicably, I’ve picked up 2 power bomb tanks that the game won’t let me use because lol?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

I searched around and found this thread linked in punch sport pagoda where they are discussing it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958642

which quotes these posts from the Florida LAN thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3032523&pagenumber=745&perpage=40#post512386971

Skutter posted:

A few of us were able to find an arrest record for his county that matched his name and his face (if he was many pounds heavier and looked much scruffier, compared to his FB profile pic). His profile on here has been reported by a goon who confirmed everything matched. There were several charges listed for possession of materials.

So a goon discord with people that knew him went searching when he disappeared and figured it out

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

NoiseAnnoys posted:

nice, were pretty cool. did they do any other goon art things? i remember the e/n project kinda imploded as one would expect from an e/n project, but i remember liking their style.

Yeah they basically carried that thread, there were other good submissions but they definitely were the best. No idea on if they did any other notable art for/on the forums, would love to see it if so!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kolby setting goals that I believe we should all easily exceed

kolby posted:

Come on goons, stop being pedophiles. We're better than this

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

i thought spr was new zealand? the lore is so complicated.

spr said a couple of times that she was from Wales. She might have moved to Australia or New Zealand, I dunno.

some plague rats posted:

I'm from Wales, it's not my fault, please don't think less of me

Brought to you by the guy who remembers weirdly specific facts posters say about themselves but IRL will forget your name thirty seconds after you give it to him

Also, props to the search engine which actually does the stuff it says it does now

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Ahh so she moved to Australia or NZ then (I'm fairly sure it was Aus), my mistake. I just know they were looking for IKs for this thread in other parts of the world because everyone else was in that area.

Edit: and it being clear she was commonwealth at the very least from her stance in the c-word threads

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

spr said a couple of times that she was from Wales. She might have moved to Australia or New Zealand, I dunno.

Brought to you by the guy who remembers weirdly specific facts posters say about themselves but IRL will forget your name thirty seconds after you give it to him

Also, props to the search engine which actually does the stuff it says it does now

perfidious albion strikes again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

she also claimed to be living in lviv in one of the qcs threads so maybe she was just a liar

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

she also claimed to be living in lviv in one of the qcs threads so maybe she was just a liar

I too don't understand sarcasm.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

why did so many of you take that seriously

E: this is a rhetorical question don't actually answer I do not care about your thought process

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It happened multiple times. I can think of two others outside of the one that went down in flames recently.

And no it wasn't more wholesome content wise. It was the same stuff. Ring cameras are more widespread now but webcams were cheap and widespread by 2010.

The thread atmosphere and posting is what was giving you that impression of wholesomeness. People were in good spirits finding interesting things but there were still people's houses. Nobody was really outspoken or openly critical of the digital voyeur stuff like they are now so it seems different but I tried the search in the second thread and it was like two parks, a marina then a naked elderly couple sitting in their bed.

At one point there was a webcam in a family's kitchen and goons were watching it trying to identify them to mess with them. Finding those threads and reading through them would probably be less wholesome than you remember.

I was thinking back to more like around when I started this acct 03-06ish, I was without internet for most of 2009-11

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Jeff is going to pop up when he wakes up from his slumber to post where her IPs were located and it's going to turn out she actually was a Russian state actor like GBS thought...

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

posting from the goldmine

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pog boyfriend posted:

Thanks for everything you did here pog. Bang up job as usual.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Jeff is going to pop up when he wakes up from his slumber to post where her IPs were located and it's going to turn out she actually was a Russian state actor like GBS thought...

How else does a skeleton get a bomb rear end boob job without money from Russian intelligence agencies

Edit: yeah, thank you pog for carrying this thread

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

pog boyfriend posted:

fantastic work pog

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ilmucche posted:

What is it with Australians and weird hostile posting about sports?

Free tony montana

VB Longneck. At twenty to eight in the loving morning. Get that up ya.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Watch the IZWF tonight bozos

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

everything I know about aussie culture comes from simpsons facebook memes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tony wasn't even perma'd, just regular banned

pretty sure he didn't rereg because you can't keep a cork in a personality like his for very long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

That Little Demon posted:

Watch the IZWF tonight bozos

what time zone