Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like if ATMs had default settings to feed your money into an incinerator unless you got the sequence exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like if ATMs had default settings to feed your money into an incinerator unless you got the sequence exactly right.

Embrace the new default currency

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah what could go wrong in such a system that also imposes mandatory costs into every transaction? Clearly the best times.

I took a look at the state of Ethereum transaction costs and they're still around $3-4, similar to Bitcoin. Which also implies people not using Ethereum, and would explode to much higher levels under stress and/or if Ethereum dollar value increases.

How anyone thinks that would be good for cryptocurrency as a modem is crazy. Imagine if Bitcoin is magically worth Balaji 's fantasy numbers of a Million dollars. In that scenario a Bitcoin transaction would probably be upwards of $500-$2.5k easily. How many of these hoarders would use the thing knowing they burn off that much money every single time they do anything?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The point of crypto is not to use it, it's to build wealth. Wealth in something that you can't actually use. Otherwise it will stop building wealth.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

seriously lol,

how many of those crypto bro posts where they lose everything, but don't tell their family because it would be too embarrassing and would make crypto look bad (but of course they buy in again later, probably with stolen money), actually just sent all their kids college fund into a burn pile instead of the equally plausible "got hacked" or "exchange stole it all", etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This joke brightens my morning.

Never change, Ghost Titty.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
oh lmao I completely missed that graph was genuinely posted by a true believer, that makes it even better.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
If something is burned the value of everything else goes up, at least in theory, right? Not a good motivation to fix it if they're profiting from it being broken

e: missed a page, this was re:

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah the whole "default is to send it to burn up" has been there for a while i think.. i don't know enough to explain why they can't just fix it or if it's just that's how it works as intended because none of these people understand user experience.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For about a year I lived in a place where I paid rent by depositing cash directly into the landlord's account at the bank. The deposit slip was my receipt.

Yes, the place was sketchy as hell. Why do you ask?

I work for a guy who has a duplex and its the same thing, the tenant just does a ach deposit, from his bank. The only thing sketchy er would venmo.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Reserve currency status does not last forever. Proceeds to graph BTC staying the reserve currency forever.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah the whole "default is to send it to burn up" has been there for a while i think.. i don't know enough to explain why they can't just fix it or if it's just that's how it works as intended because none of these people understand user experience.

Honestly it's added to a notion I have that a lot of crypto is adding the... aesthetics? of video games to financial stuff. Like this poo poo seems like a puzzle from a Resident Evil game more than anything.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Apparently some crypto...company sold 90% (!!!!) of their equity and is now out of moneyy - after hiring 230 people with the $100m they got.

https://www.theblock.co/post/222519/zipmexs-rescue-investor-misses-payment-company-warns-employees-of-liquidation

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

I remember reading a story about something like this in Russia. Somebody had turned a bunker or something into a simulated Russian prison. If they convinced people that they were in prison rather than kidnapped, then they would likely think they could just give up their crypto as a bribe and get released, but ope, there was a crematorium in the back.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

This joke brightens my morning.

Never change, Ghost Titty.

I did not even realize it was a Ghost Titty graph until I saw this post, then looked and saw who posted it.

I mean, it's a graph that is immediately clear and comprehensible, and not a pot of rainbow spaghetti that someone threw at a wall before busting out crayons to draw a line going up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Surprisingly readable and yet 100% wrong.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

drk posted:

oh its even dumber.... the software or smart contract or whatever this guy was using, the default behavior is to send everything to the burn pile

https://twitter.com/vitalitygrowth/status/1639391449333596162

Dude can't even make a simple tweet without a typo. What's to say he didn't fat-finger his wrap job into the metadumpster?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's rather generous of them for the default address to be a burner address instead of sending everything to the programmer's personal wallet.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ah yes, another day in the cryptobro panic land:
It starts with:

"crypto maximalists" posted:

:sickos: Buy Bitcoin. $5 worth
You may need it

and gets into :tinfoil: :

other crypto maximalists chime in posted:

"Banks are losing their sh1t"
"limited quantity appreciating asset"

-snip-
:tinfoil: Have you been following Balaji’s recent bet?
:sickos: Yes, it's a bet against the dollar imo, that the FDIC will run out. $128b for insuring $18t in illiquid deposits becomes a problem if too many people want physical cash
Bitcoin is the velvet revolution

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
It's been what 12 years now and there's still no example of how running something on the blockchain is superior to the way it's already being done and yet there's people out there still trying to sell this crap.

Let it die already

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Bitcoin dipshits love pointing at "the internet is a dumb fad with no real use case" articles from when that was a new thing, but the big difference is that twelve years after those articles about the internet, you could trivially pull it up and go "boy did you gently caress this one up." Pull up a twelve year old "Bitcoin is a dumb fad with no real use case" article and, hey look, Bitcoin is still a dumb fad with no real use case.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Funny thing is those articles about the internet were a reactionary minority and anyone actually around at the time could see and utilize the internet’s obvious benefits.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The first AOL compact disc that gave you free internet came out in 1993.
18% of US households had an internet connection in 1997
50% of US housholds had an internet connection in 2001

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Linux was never this obtuse 25 years ago. There was no default set of instructions that destroyed your data while attempting to perform basic system functions. The disk partitioning process was probably where most people were at risk of losing data, but you were loudly and repeatedly warned to pay attention to what you were doing during that part.
:goonsay:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

What's next? Something even funnier/dumber involving crypto

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Seven Force posted:

Unvaxxed sperm was touted a bit by the anti-vaxxers as the next rare commodity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

istewart posted:

Linux was never this obtuse 25 years ago. There was no default set of instructions that destroyed your data while attempting to perform basic system functions.

There was an ubuntu distro that would erase all your partitions instead of just the selected partition upon install.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Decentralized semen

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Linux is free and highly functional, so it can get away with any level of complexity and it will still be used.
Bitcoin has such poor functionality and regressive economics that it could have any level of simplicity and still will never be used

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

It isn't even that complicated honestly

I'm a redacted and I can use it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

istewart posted:

Linux was never this obtuse 25 years ago. There was no default set of instructions that destroyed your data while attempting to perform basic system functions. The disk partitioning process was probably where most people were at risk of losing data, but you were loudly and repeatedly warned to pay attention to what you were doing during that part.
To be fair 25 years ago there was a reasonable chance you would get on IRC asking how to install a driver and someone would tell you rm -fr / launches the remote friendly driver manager.

However if you need a default wallet address anywhere with a crypto application you are logicaly limited to 3 choices: the developer's, a purpose made burn address, or an accidental burn address so its like if 25 years ago your shell would always prompt you to either rm -fr /or post your SU password hash to usenet.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

zedprime posted:

However if you need a default wallet address anywhere with a crypto application you are logicaly limited to 3 choices

But you dont need a default. It could be empty so if you clicked send it would do nothing.

There are also a million ways you could warn someone if they dumbly just pasted in the 0x000000 address anyways.

In conclusion, crypto bad

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It wasn't a default wallet it was just steps someone wrote in a tutorial that had an example string. The same thing would happen if I wrote instructions on how to wire money and in the screenshots used 20092900IRS 091036164 and then you were like "oops! I just wired all my money to the IRS instead of to my friend".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Basically what I'm trying to say is if you had a competition between the stupidity of the systems, and the stupidity of the users, it would be a tough one.

Like imagine you love crypto so much you spend $$$$$ on a lovely NFT and yet when you see a stack overflow instruction that had a wallet address in it you don't stop to ask yourself who's wallet that is.

Just the fundamental idea that a command exists on a website, where you copy and paste it without modification and it transfers the NFT *you* bought to *your* wallet....without modification

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drk posted:

But you dont need a default. It could be empty so if you clicked send it would do nothing.

There are also a million ways you could warn someone if they dumbly just pasted in the 0x000000 address anyways.

In conclusion, crypto bad
Oh so Clippy is good UI now? Make up your mind nerds.

The best the protocol can do is ignore malformed requests which is its own set of user experience problems on top of interface issues that the wallet is just a big hex value, a set of which includes null and a ton of other stuff you might enter with a keyboard into the variable length so to have something that would fail requires your default to be completely outside the form of any sort of user entry possible or else to intercept specific values and interpret them in ways that don't jive with pure cryptography implementations.

Your choice of UI to use the protocol is exactly that, a choice of things that you either built or someone else has because of problems. And guess what, the problems aren't being experienced by enough people to bother because the thing is useless anyway and no one is going to polish the turd.

Its bad all the way down in other words. A bunch of questions with no right answers cause its so innately dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.wrappedpunks.com/

This website was launched in September 2020 as an interface to the open-source smart contract 0xb7F7F6C52F2e2fdb1963Eab30438024864c313F6 that can turn a Cryptopunk into a standard ERC721 non fungible token.

We highly discourage to wrap your Cryptopunk unless you are familiar with how to interact with smart contracts via etherscan.io

If you decide to wrap your Cryptopunk, you will interact with the ethereum blockchain so any transaction is irreversible.
By following the instructions written below, you aknowledge that you understand that every transaction is irreversible and you are doing it at your own risk.

Connect your wallet and call function “7. transferPunk”,
with the parameters:
to: (your proxy wallet address (should be different from 0x00...0000))

:thunk:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bitcoin isn't a country, dipshit. The obvious answer is China

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Seven Force posted:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

istewart posted:

Laughs in ReiserFS

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cagliostr0 posted:

Laughs in ReiserFS

I hear using that can be murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

lol the linus tech tips youtube channel was hacked by crypto scammers

I can't undestand why youtube doesn't have a "If a channel suddenly renames to Tesla, lock that poo poo DOWN" thing implemented already