Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RCarr posted:

I’ve had them my whole life. I’ve always played sports though so I assumed they were from that. Who cares? Leave ‘em alone they are there for a reason.

They're just ugly and gross looking, makes me self conscious when it comes to having my socks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

They're just ugly and gross looking, makes me self conscious when it comes to having my socks off.

Recognizing that this is getting into personal emotional stuff, which doesn't necessarily adhere to any kind of logic: would you be self-conscious of callouses on your hands if you worked with hand tools all day?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Hyperlynx posted:

Where would I go, on these great forums of ours, for game recommendations?

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

Spec ops: the line is a game that a lot of people are going to recommend, and now that I'm looking it up, I can't believe that it's almost 11 years old

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Where would I go, on these great forums of ours, for game recommendations?

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

Doki-Doki Literature Club does this and more! You have to be able to stomach anime, but it is free

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Don't leave your nasty foot calluses alone, fight those bitches! Get one of those cheese grater things they make for feet--that quickly removes the bulk, then you can sand everything down real velvety smooth with an emery board. Then apply lotion. Also take care of your nail beds and tackle any weird fungal stuff asap so your toenails don't look insane.

Feet need regular maintenance like anything else.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

Don't leave your nasty foot calluses alone, fight those bitches! Get one of those cheese grater things they make for feet--that quickly removes the bulk, then you can sand everything down real velvety smooth with an emery board. Then apply lotion. Also take care of your nail beds and tackle any weird fungal stuff asap so your toenails don't look insane.

Feet need regular maintenance like anything else.

Feet need maintenance, but callouses aren't automatically a problem that needs fixing. They're a natural response to wear, and they build up to protect the softer flesh underneath so you don't develop blisters.

Like, if this is an aesthetic thing then knock yourself out, people do way worse things in the name of looking pretty. I just want to make it clear that callouses are not on the same level as fungal infections or ingrown toenails.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Feet need maintenance, but callouses aren't automatically a problem that needs fixing. They're a natural response to wear, and they build up to protect the softer flesh underneath so you don't develop blisters.

Like, if this is an aesthetic thing then knock yourself out, people do way worse things in the name of looking pretty. I just want to make it clear that callouses are not on the same level as fungal infections or ingrown toenails.

No argument here, but I've never gotten a blister after I took care of one (although the callus always comes back.) As pretty and smooth as the skin looks after I treat it, it still feels thicker than the surrounding area, so I guess I'm not removing so much as pruning it back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Recognizing that this is getting into personal emotional stuff, which doesn't necessarily adhere to any kind of logic: would you be self-conscious of callouses on your hands if you worked with hand tools all day?

I have callouses on my hands from working out, tell anyone who asks about your feet that it's from pumping iron too much

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Why does everyone keep misspelling calluses

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a forum thread for ChatGPT? Especially for programming stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes, "callus" is for hardened skin and "callous" is for hardened emotions. the "-ous" ending gives slightly francophonic vibes indicating that this concept only came into the english language after william the conquerer and his gallic hordes introduced feelings and euphemisms to the english in the 11th century.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm jealous of folks who can just leave them, if I don't keep them down they split and that sucks way more than taking care of them from time to time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

Is there a forum thread for ChatGPT? Especially for programming stuff.

Answering my own question, looks like the AI Art thread in GBS is the best I found and has discussions of all sorts of AI stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

smackfu posted:

Answering my own question, looks like the AI Art thread in GBS is the best I found and has discussions of all sorts of AI stuff.

there's also a thread for text based AI stuff but there's no like, serious discussion we're just loving around using gpt to write frasier and star trek episodes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004716

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Why does everyone keep misspelling calluses
I just wrote it the way I saw it written above :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I just wrote it the way I saw it written above :shrug:

So if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Cliff diving is fun as hell and if you see them safely emerge from the water below, hell yes

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Someone fancy with English please explain why I spelled it callous to begin with, and why does the dictionary say it's a variant spelling of callus.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Because English is hosed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

Someone fancy with English please explain why I spelled it callous to begin with, and why does the dictionary say it's a variant spelling of callus.

because all that's important is that we understood you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

I don't think this has the same weight as it once did, watching everyone repeatedly rawdog a BSL-3-level pathogen because they're scared of looking weird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Absolutely

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've been noticing more people are posting pictures of themselves, with a caption "might delete later." I feel like this is a reference of some kind, or more likely a joke? -- is the joke that they can't delete the picture because it's now on the Internet?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its a call back to people deleting pictures that dont get enough engagement on instagram for influencers. They would put it up, if it didnt hit whatever metrics delete it and try again with some changes or whatever.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oh it's a meme thing. I guess that should have been my first assumption. According to https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feeling-cute-might-delete-later, it's used with goofy fictional characters, though?

Anyway, this answers my question regardless but now I find I'm going down a different rabbit hole.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BonHair posted:

That's very callus of you :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Source

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do people still hitchhike in the USA?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not remotely a common thing, but I have seen people standing by the side of the road with their thumbs out. I can't imagine the success rate (in terms of getting picked up at all) is very high though.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is it possible/customary to obtain a Clinical Lab Tech cert/licensure through a job where you get paid for it or am I stuck having to do a part-time certification class where I basically pay to work?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Oh it's a meme thing. I guess that should have been my first assumption. According to https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feeling-cute-might-delete-later, it's used with goofy fictional characters, though?

Anyway, this answers my question regardless but now I find I'm going down a different rabbit hole.

the memes are referencing real behavior patterns from real people on instagram
the joke is that they're taking pics of fictional characters and giving them a caption that like a teenage girl would put on her selfies

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 27, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

since 2015 i have spent roughly 1/3 of the year on the road in every region of the US and have not seen a single hitchhiker anywhere in all that time. i remember seeing them a couple times on family trips in the 90's though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've seen like two hitchhikers in my life.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I think with craigs list and ride sharing, people are less likely to just be hitch hiking walking down the highway and more likely to have made some arrangement. That being said I still occasionally see people trying to catch a ride here in Houston, maybe due to a lack of public transportation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hitchhiked through parts of Georgia, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine in like 2006ish. And a bit in Spain and France. I also pick up hitchhikers fairly often. I gave someone a ride just last month. I don’t know what everyone else is talking about, I’ve done both the hitchhiking and picking them up more times than I could recall.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So I managed to slice my thumb right at the tip, and of course band-aids don't really work well. I'd heard of people using super glue in a pinch, so I did that and it seems much better. I'm just wondering if it might impede healing or anything?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tad Naff posted:

So I managed to slice my thumb right at the tip, and of course band-aids don't really work well. I'd heard of people using super glue in a pinch, so I did that and it seems much better. I'm just wondering if it might impede healing or anything?

nah, ive done that several times, youll be fine

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I find New Skin Liquid Bandage to be helpful for finger injuries. I think it's basically like some plastic dissolved in solvent, so you paint it onto the injury (which stings a bit) and then it cures into a thin, semi-flexible layer over the cut.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Medical superglue is of a different chemical composition than the hardware store stuff, but on a wound that small it’s going to be fine.

3M sells the good stuff to veterinarians as “Vetbond”, but it’s still pretty expensive.

I find New Skin Liquid Bandage to be helpful for finger injuries. I think it's basically like some plastic dissolved in solvent, so you paint it onto the injury (which stings a bit) and then it cures into a thin, semi-flexible layer over the cut.

Yeah this stuff is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If I completely fill a container with water, then freeze it, is there a material that could resist the force of the ice expanding? I guess I'm asking what's the force the water to ice phase change as it expands and is it containable?