Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is the name of the rhetorical device when you mention bad things about your opponent by saying you won't mention them? It's something I remember from Cicero in high school. E.g. 'I won't bring up the fact that my opponents beats his wife because that has no bearing on this discussion, and neither will I mention his fondness for drink, because that too would be improper to bring up in this case' etc.

apophasis - the raising of an issue by claiming not to mention it (as in "we won't discuss his past crimes")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have tips for searching the Internet Archive (archive.org)?

It seems like when I run a search, I am only getting results from their "collections" of specific material and not from the, yknow, Internet Archive part of the Internet Archive.

Someone made a third-party site to do this in December, but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have tips for searching the Internet Archive (archive.org)?

It seems like when I run a search, I am only getting results from their "collections" of specific material and not from the, yknow, Internet Archive part of the Internet Archive.
Are you typing your search into the correct place? There are two search fields: Wayback machine and internet archive. If you want old (versions of) websites then you need the wayback machine.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

When I’m done and take off my shoes, I have to turn them upside down to drain enough sweat that it creates a pool in the heel.

The problem is I have a leg disability, which means it’s very difficult for my to get up and down to the floor. I’m looking for the most “set it and forget it” solution possible.

I dunno if this is financially optimal for, but you could get a fan pointing at you causing your sweat to evaporate more and then have a dehumidifier running as well to get all the sweat out of the air.

Edit: and now it's nicely collected to sell online as NerdSweatTM

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Helios Grime posted:

I dunno if this is financially optimal for, but you could get a fan pointing at you causing your sweat to evaporate more and then have a dehumidifier running as well to get all the sweat out of the air.

Edit: and now it's nicely collected to sell online as NerdSweatTM

I have actually ordered a very specific fan for this exact purpose.

My main worry with the interlocking foam pads is if they will allow sweat through the interlocking bits. But I went ahead and ordered some, and can figure it out from there. I'm murdering my hardwood floors, and that's with there already being a mat and towels put down.

I don't want to overstate my legs being messed up. Hell, the biking is exactly what I do to keep them less hosed. It's just that dealing with the floor is the literal hardest thing for me to do outside of tap dancing.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
If you're that worried about sweat possibly seeping between the joints in the interlocking foam pads, just seal the seams with weatherproof duct tape? Gorilla brand makes an xxxxtreme waterproof version, it's expensive but it's durable enough to withstand like, monsoon-level precipitation, so your sweat would be... no sweat

You could also look into dog crate training pads, they're basically like giant squares of diaper material that will suck up and retain a serious amount of fluid

Hope this helps, my roommate in college had a severe sweat issue and it really drove him to some severe ends in order to deal with it, so I getcha

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Are you typing your search into the correct place? There are two search fields: Wayback machine and internet archive. If you want old (versions of) websites then you need the wayback machine.
I've tried both, yeah.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Does anyone have a link to the photoshopped newspaper Spider-Man comics from probably 20 years ago? The one where in one of them he hears a “crack call” or something. Might have been originally on pointlesswasteoftime. I remember nothing else except they were funny.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do you mean like this one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have two questions about portable power stations advertised by companies like Jackery and Anker. Do they allow for like "long term" storage, I don't foresee myself using it at all unless there is a power outage. Down the block from us people lost power for hours on end during a recent storm. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to power a nice electric blanket if it gets too cold. Second question, is can I use this power station to power a 5 cubic foot freezer?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I have two questions about portable power stations advertised by companies like Jackery and Anker. Do they allow for like "long term" storage, I don't foresee myself using it at all unless there is a power outage. Down the block from us people lost power for hours on end during a recent storm. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to power a nice electric blanket if it gets too cold. Second question, is can I use this power station to power a 5 cubic foot freezer?

I don't know if you mean the smaller ones that could fit in a pocket or the big ones that look kind of like generators, but I have a small Anker one and it hasn't lost any charge despite sitting unplugged for well over a year. I imagine the big ones will be similarly good at holding a charge.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

obi_ant posted:

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to power a nice electric blanket if it gets too cold. Second question, is can I use this power station to power a 5 cubic foot freezer?

All battery backup power units I've seen that aren't specifically whole-house batteries (like the kind you would get with a solar panel installation) are for charging small electrics. I've got one that could power a table fan for a few hours, but stuff like freezers and heating elements both draw more power than the unit can even supply

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dupersaurus posted:

All battery backup power units I've seen that aren't specifically whole-house batteries (like the kind you would get with a solar panel installation) are for charging small electrics. I've got one that could power a table fan for a few hours, but stuff like freezers and heating elements both draw more power than the unit can even supply
there are in-between models like these that have 110v sockets. there's a chart near the bottom listing their WH rating and runtimes for typical appliances

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dupersaurus posted:

I think the ones the OP has in mind could do an electric blanket or a freezer, no idea how much those pull on average. Depends on the model though

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the ones the OP has in mind could do an electric blanket or a freezer, no idea how much those pull on average. Depends on the model though

whoops, I assumed an electric blanket would be pulling more than 100W, and it looks like a chest freezer might not be any worse. The more I know!

That said, their chest freezer is probably efficient enough that it'd probably stay cold for days, even if it was opened a few times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Chest freezers are excellent at holding cold since the door is on top.

However, powering one from a battery thing will be complicated. The compressor in a fridge/freezer is subject to pretty high overshoot when it kicks on (ever notice a very brief brownout when your fridge kicks on?), so even if a source has enough watt-hours to handle the freezer, it might not be able to cover the momentarily high power draws like that, or even the more modest sustained power draw while the freezer runs (although the ones shown above have capacities of more than a kW so they can probably handle that part).

You can find overshoot/peak draw as well as sustained draw in fridge/freezer specs and should be able to check if it's within spec on a given power source thinger.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do you mean like this one?

Yes! I think there were 10 or more of them in total.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Yes! I think there were 10 or more of them in total.

I found those a little while ago. If you remember them fondly, stop looking, because they have not aged well.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey speaking of freezers, I have a garden-variety chest freezer in my garage, plugged in to the wall outlet via a heavy-gauge (12, IRRC) 6-ft extension cord. The GFCI keeps tripping. The freezer is the only thing on that circuit. Why would this one device overload the circuit? Short, heavy-gauge cord! It happens every couple of months, year-round.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Lincoln posted:

Hey speaking of freezers, I have a garden-variety chest freezer in my garage, plugged in to the wall outlet via a heavy-gauge (12, IRRC) 6-ft extension cord. The GFCI keeps tripping. The freezer is the only thing on that circuit. Why would this one device overload the circuit? Short, heavy-gauge cord! It happens every couple of months, year-round.

If it’s tripping the GFCI that suggests something like a wiring fault somewhere

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks guys. Indeed I am currently look for one of the bigger battery banks. Typically I wouldn’t be too worried about the power outages and the like, but we have a significant amount of breast milk that I do not want to lose. I figured that having the unit could bring some peace of mind, even if it just prolongs the cooling by a few hours. It would give me some time to even say oh poo poo something is wrong and then drive to a friend’s house with a working freezer.

I tried looking to see how much the unit draws. But nothing too helpful.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-0-cu-ft-garage-ready-chest-freezer-white/6385028.p?skuId=6385028

The Energy Star rating is there, but only for the yearly consumption.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If the power goes out you will probably have at least a full day before the milk thaws appreciably. Fill the chest freezer with a bunch of bottles of water (now, and let them freeze) to extend that time a good bit more.

e: if you can find the rated operating current (which should be on a placard on the back of the freezer), multiply that by 2-3 to get the actual peak draw, and by 6 to get the "just in case" draw level, according to some random website

but for real I think a bunch of jugs of water will solve your problem much more cheaply and simply

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Something that can give you peace of mind is a thermometer that can show you how the freezer is staying cool even without power.

I use this thing that records temperature every ten minutes and can upload it to my phone via Bluetooth for a graph going back many days. There are other solutions, like the ones that just have a display you stick on the outside of the freezer and a thin wire running to a probe inside that the door closes over.

Either way, you’ll see that stuff inside won’t thaw for probably a day or more, and if the power does go out, the thermometer can give you real‐time status on the condition inside without opening the door.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Assuming minimal wind, how cold does it have to be for you to get hypothermia from just standing outside for an extended period?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alnilam posted:

Chest freezers are excellent at holding cold since the door is on top.

However, powering one from a battery thing will be complicated. The compressor in a fridge/freezer is subject to pretty high overshoot when it kicks on (ever notice a very brief brownout when your fridge kicks on?), so even if a source has enough watt-hours to handle the freezer, it might not be able to cover the momentarily high power draws like that, or even the more modest sustained power draw while the freezer runs (although the ones shown above have capacities of more than a kW so they can probably handle that part).

You can find overshoot/peak draw as well as sustained draw in fridge/freezer specs and should be able to check if it's within spec on a given power source thinger.
i have an insignia freezer similar to the one linked and have it plugged into a standard 15a socket. some of backups listed have outputs of 2000w or more which is more than enough. modern freezers are much more efficient and i would be surprised if it pulled more than 10a on startup. you're correct about them staying cold. when i was a kid we had a lovely chest freezer and everything in it stayed frozen for the week we were without power from a tornado. you just gotta keep it closed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Assuming minimal wind, how cold does it have to be for you to get hypothermia from just standing outside for an extended period?

Really depends on a lot of things - how well fed you are, how you're dressed, body type, other weather factors (sun, humidity, and of course wind but you mentioned that), probably how your circulation is and stuff. A very well dressed, well fed person might be able to hang outdoors indefinitely even in super cold temps.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 24, 2023

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

alnilam posted:

Really depends on a lot of things - how well fed you are, how you're dressed, body type, other weather factors (sun, humidity, and of course wind but you mentioned that), probably how your circulation is and stuff. A very well dressed, well fed person might be able to hang outdoors indefinitely even in super cold temps.

Yeah you can get clothing that's good enough to keep you alive indefinitely honestly, if you keep your face covered perfectly and you keep eating enough. My fat rear end probably would last a lot longer naked in the cold than a skinny person, but if it's cold enough we both die pretty quick. Minimal wind makes a huge difference too, wind removes heat from your skin really quickly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dupersaurus posted:

whoops, I assumed an electric blanket would be pulling more than 100W, and it looks like a chest freezer might not be any worse. The more I know!

That said, their chest freezer is probably efficient enough that it'd probably stay cold for days, even if it was opened a few times.
I have an electric blanket that I've used a bit this year in lieu of heating the whole place. It does peak at more than 100W, maybe 160 or so, but also averages much lower once it reaches a temperature. Probably depends on the ambient but I'm guessing around 20w max.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why do I always get callouses at this exact spot on my foot? I don't get them anywhere else on my feet, not on my heels or other toes. It's only ever on the sides of my big toes. I'll get rid of them by using an emery board, but they'll come back within a few weeks. I've not taken care of them for a good few months and the callous buildup was insane, I had a pretty darn big callous on each big toe coming out far to the side.

I've given up getting rid of them because nothing I do prevents them from returning. Is it bad foot posture? Incorrectly sized shoes? What gives. I don't have bunions.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I get that too and they suck. I usually end up snipping the bulk of the callus of with scissors before using the board to smooth it out, doesn’t hurt and is way faster. It still has to be done about once a month or they get huge.

I have very flat feet so maybe it has something to do with that causing rubbing inside shoes meant for people with normal arches?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Badger of Basra posted:

Undernourished old and sick people can develop hypothermia in low but not per se dangerous indoor temperatures. The question seems meaningless without specifying clothing, so I'm gonna answer 15c.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

The Pirate Captain posted:

I get that too and they suck. I usually end up snipping the bulk of the callus of with scissors before using the board to smooth it out, doesn’t hurt and is way faster. It still has to be done about once a month or they get huge.

I have very flat feet so maybe it has something to do with that causing rubbing inside shoes meant for people with normal arches?

I thought everyone got those?

I guess I have pretty wide feet compared to what most shoes lead me to believe would be the norm, I dunno.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I get those callouses too. Just leave 'em, I say. Callouses are there to protect the skin and flesh underneath them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If they get too thick you can have rigidity problems followed by massive deep cracks/wounds in your foot- not pleasant. But also this doesn’t happen to everyone.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

Why do I always get callouses at this exact spot on my foot? I don't get them anywhere else on my feet, not on my heels or other toes. It's only ever on the sides of my big toes. I'll get rid of them by using an emery board, but they'll come back within a few weeks. I've not taken care of them for a good few months and the callous buildup was insane, I had a pretty darn big callous on each big toe coming out far to the side.

I've given up getting rid of them because nothing I do prevents them from returning. Is it bad foot posture? Incorrectly sized shoes? What gives. I don't have bunions.

It's probably the shoes. You might need to go a (half?) size wider than what you currently have. For a less expensive option, you can find little cushion stickers you can apply to your toes, and then will prevent the constant rubbing that is likely causing the issue. Maybe try those short term, see if things improve, then go for better shoes later.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Where would I go, on these great forums of ours, for game recommendations?

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

In the Games forum, Recommend me a game, again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thanks! :D

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

play the Nier games, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

I’ve had them my whole life. I’ve always played sports though so I assumed they were from that. Who cares? Leave ‘em alone they are there for a reason.