Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

TheFluff posted:

Had some luck with a sunny winter day a while ago and got a shot of one of the local jays, all fluffed up for the cold. I love these guys so much.

Nötskrika on Flickr

Wow! Stunning shot. I want to hug all fluffed up birbs, but especially jays.

So I've started (1) shooting raw and (2) shooting with manual settings. I'm hoping the fact 1 can make up for messing up fact 2 tonight. I had some really, really stunning opportunities with the eagles and 90% of the shots are super washed out. :(

Edit it was almost 7pm so it was pretty dark out. My setting were 1/1000, f11, ISO 6400. Guessing I should have lowered ISO and lengthened the exposure speed?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I was in the back yard trying to take some pictures of my favorite garbage can arrangements when these stupid birds got in the way.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Edit it was almost 7pm so it was pretty dark out. My setting were 1/1000, f11, ISO 6400. Guessing I should have lowered ISO and lengthened the exposure speed?

This is my method - When I shoot manual - I shoot with Auto Iso still on maxing out at about ISO 8000 -

For stationary birds like that, I'll ensure that I'm around the shutter speed rule of thumb (match or exceed e.g. 400mm, don't go below 1/400) - but if I'm ballsy enough and the bird is still, I can drop that shutter speed below and push it. Some of the shots I've shared in the last couple months are at like 420mm but with shutter speeds as low as 1/500

When using Auto Iso and I'm shooting white birds, I ensure to switch my metering to highlight priority, to preserve the highlights in the whites. But if it's a dark day, and a dark bird, switch over to spot matrixing so the iso jumps up a bit when focusing on the bird and then you don't have to bring the shadows much in post.

These are just things I do - I'm sure there's purists out there who scoff at the idea of auto iso but yeah this has been my technique for the last 2 years or so. I'm still learning too!

Great job framing the shot and moving so there's minimal branches interfering with the bird!

Bird tax:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Slotducks posted:

These are just things I do - I'm sure there's purists out there who scoff at the idea of auto iso but yeah this has been my technique for the last 2 years or so. I'm still learning too!

Learning to be less precious about ISO is something I need bad, I start getting squishy about going as high low as 1600

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

The water drops make this bird look like it just spotted Solid Snake. Excellent.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Learning to be less precious about ISO is something I need bad, I start getting squishy about going as high low as 1600

Topaz Denoise is really good at curing that squishiness.

This is at ISO 4000

Lights posted:

The water drops make this bird look like it just spotted Solid Snake. Excellent.

Thanks! Later on this guy flicked his dick out for a bit and that was super weird - what a weird bird.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm such a pixel peeping dick, I like to keep ISO below 2000 but ultimately I think ISO tolerance comes down to how much you are cropping in and can put up with what attempt Topaz makes. Species and shot uniqeness helps, portrait of commoner bird, really needs to be a low ISO shot, rare bird doing something interesting worth pushing it for keepers.

Chiffchaff by Aves Lux, on Flickr

edit wtf with not posting the bird cock?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

sorry sorry sorry bird dick tax it's better animated through frames:

dick warning:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Amazing! Also appropriate username!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Easy Mac looking dick

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I knew that ducks have a corkscrew penis from the Scientifically Accurate Ducktales cartoon.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yellow duck hog.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I knew that ducks have a corkscrew penis from the Scientifically Accurate Ducktales cartoon.

i learned it from ze frank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k01DIVDJlY

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nice. Here's the Ducktales one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-lDJgNLDl4

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I love all tits, today I saw mostly great ones and some blues:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorbus posted:

I love all tits, today I saw mostly great ones and some blues:

I like the fact that Great, Blue & Long-tailed Tits can all hang out together in flocks.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

spookygonk posted:

I like the fact that Great, Blue & Long-tailed Tits can all hang out together in flocks.

I wish I’d see a long-tailed some day, the most anime of birds!

My favourite is the willow tit, unfortunately they are endangered here as the forests have been ruined :(

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Barn Owl by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sorbus posted:

I wish I’d see a long-tailed some day, the most anime of birds!

My favourite is the willow tit, unfortunately they are endangered here as the forests have been ruined :(

I got u fam

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

🦉

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Love it!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

I got u fam

Aw yiss

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I went out yesterday to try to hit a break in the storms and find a vagrant Ruff that was spotted earlier in the week at an open space. Dipped on the target bird, but while getting me and my camera drenched (twice), I had a crazy experience with some other shorebirds. The asphalt of the path was a) drenched b) covered in worms, crushed snails, and who knows what else, and this flock of Western Sandpipers and Dunlin were working it like a beach.

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5892 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5887 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5873 on Flickr

we ran back to the car at this point but then came back out and found them again but this time the sun was out for a sec

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5912 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5917 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5947 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5943 on Flickr

Dotson Marsh pathway peeps-5953 on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Ice on a nearby lake is starting to melt so there's some migration, I think coots will come soon.

Goldeneye:
Goldeneye by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Whooper swan:
Whooper swan by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

bonus hooded crow
hooded crow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Spring time bath time

American Robin

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nap time

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

There's nothing like hunting down the rare birds around town after a sighting report. A flock of about 60 Bohemian Waxwings have decided to stay in Guelph for about a week or so now:

Bonus Cooper's Hawk - their red eyes match the fresh maple tree buds perfectly, it's kind of uncanny.

toggle posted:

Nap time

I love birds in water napping a little - I have some shots of a very sleepy Gadwall just slowly wading in the lake

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 5, 2023

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Photobomb by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Magpies and jays harassed a northern hawk-owl this morning

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Great shot. Corvids are such lovable dickheads.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sorbus posted:

Photobomb by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Magpies and jays harassed a northern hawk-owl this morning

Cool story, shame you didn't get a photo of the ow...OWH WOW!

content:
Fernandez Ranch WB Nuthatch-6098 on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Male Teal in flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

First time visitor to my yard. Pileated Woodpecker.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

First time visitor to my yard. Pileated Woodpecker.

jealous!

These were all basically in the same little willow tree, unfortunately with mid-day lighting on the way back to the parking lot.

lesser goldfinch in willow wildcat-6366 on Flickr

Purple Finch in willow wildcat bp-6381 on Flickr

Junco vert in willow-6433 on Flickr

Junco in willow-6450 on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Song Sparrow-6575 on Flickr

Gyuto bushtit with fluff-6613 on Flickr

Gyuto Wilsons Warbler-6504 on Flickr

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Did some Easter birding...

Mourning dove trying it's best to become Orb.

Grackle (unsure if common or boat-tail) about to absolutely murder a grub or something.

Satan has possessed my bird.

I didn't really like this picture at first, but on a second look, Boulevard of Broken Dreams started playing in my head, and that really swung me around on it.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
These Cedar Waxwings came in and annihilated all the berries on this tree in my front yard. I think it's a privet tree?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i don't suppose you have any of those in a higher res? they'd make for lovely wallpapers

i adore them!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

i don't suppose you have any of those in a higher res? they'd make for lovely wallpapers

i adore them!

I do, let me know which one specifically and I will post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Jerm324 posted:

I do, let me know which one specifically and I will post it.

That 3rd one is gorgeous. Great shot!