Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is the UK MoD's claim that the Bakhmut offensive has "largely stalled" accurate? Russia's advance certainly seems to have slowed even further but my understanding was that the current position is basically untenable for Ukraine given how threatened their only supply line is.

If generals and Zelensky are having photoshoots there it seems they are very confident in holding it and not dying when they visit

I know defmon is predicting it is about to become a mass grave any day now but he's been saying that for over a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

re-posting for a fresh page

:siren: D&D feedback thread is open for the weekend. This is your opportunity to click into the quote and make yourself heard before I change the thread rules. :siren:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'll kramer some war thread business in here, to have it all contained. Unfortunately, the timing of this feedback thread catches me at a busier period IRL, so I'll be brief and unlikely debating the feedback raised particularly thoroughly, if at all. I will, however, read it all before implementing the rules update for the war thread – which is not going to happen at least until April, to keep expectations clear.

So, the historical context, give or take a few posts. Not crucial to read, just if anyone is really curious.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530328037
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530329667
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530332932
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530334156
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530334375
Also, some posts in the late ChatGPT thread, where we broached the subject of using videos to make your arguments.

So, in order:

1. Walls of text

These are a chore to engage, since when you just drop a long quote bare, it can unclear what exactly you're trying to say. Additionally, under the D&D rules, you're expected fully to consume the posts you're replying to, and there is a limit on where replying to a post becomes onerous. For wholly original thought, I don't think that most people are really at a risk of breaching it, but for content not originating on SA it realistically should be a few minutes per post at most.

2. Long videos

Same as the above basically, but then there's an extra wrinkle of people doing “look at what my YouTuber did” and “debate my YouTuber” posts, which aren't really adding anything to any conversation framed specifically like that.

3. One off links/tweets offloaded in the thread

I think this is nuanced, in that for breaking news this is the pragmatic posting style. Overall, however, I've found over the course of the first year of the thread that quite often people will not ever click into the sources and check the finer details of whatever they're posting about. The blame on this one is mine to take, as I supported and contributed to that manner of posting for quite a while. It therefore is on me to see the problem mitigated.

The proposed rules change for the U/R thread, attacking all 3 of these, would come as a blanket rule against dropping links, videos, and walls of text without at least some commentary. For breaking news, it will be fine to just “holy poo poo this is massive” – I just want to discourage the CTRL+C, CTRL+V posting style. Furthermore, not as a rule, but more of as a style guide for the thread, I will also ask of posters to focus on making their own arguments. What this means for bolding vs quotes of walls of text conversation is that I am firmly against posting the wall as is, and bolding the more requisite parts, and that I would like quotes usage to become more articulated, e.g., when you're relaying some precise language or figures, or something else not really practical for being summarized. For everything else, I would like posters' own words to become the load-bearing form factor for delivering one's arguments to the thread.

Lastly, I would also like to receive some public feedback on the thread rules that are seen as obsolete, reductive, or otherwise unnecessary. I will respect your time and say that if your feedback about potential removals from rules is not more specific than “remove them all”, I won't dwell on it any much.

Do not discuss this in this thread, for the avoidance of doubt.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Charliegrs posted:

Super dumb question but couldn't Ukraine hit Russian positions in Bakhmut with HIMARS from a safe distance? Like I'm surprised they aren't doing that 24/7. Unless they are?

As others have said, HIMARS ammunition is pretty rare and expensive, so they are reserved for high value targets like ammo dumps and fuel dumps, motor pools and command posts. This shapes the logistics of the war.

The equation for the number of vehicles needed to supply a battle is pretty simple, it's the roundtrip time divided by the required interval between arrivals. The faster you can make the roundtrip, the less vehicles you need to keep up the supply rate.

I suspect one of the reasons the Russian military has concentrated its efforts almost exclusively in a few spots in Donetsk and south Lukhansk is that these are places where the roads leading in are good enough that they can bring in enough equipment and troops from beyond HIMARS range to support an offensive with the vehicles they have.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Somaen posted:

If generals and Zelensky are having photoshoots there it seems they are very confident in holding it and not dying when they visit

I know defmon is predicting it is about to become a mass grave any day now but he's been saying that for over a month

I agree that if Zelensky could make a visit, the Ukrainians are pretty confident on that front. I think the Bakhmut situation was worse before Ukraine decided to commit more reinforcements to hold it. Some twitter commentators suggested that troops were rotated from the Avdiivka front for this so that area got a bit more dicey as a result. It seems like both areas are holding and they have weathered the Russian offensive though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/world/europe/ukraine-russia-bakhmut.html

NY times cites a few sources stating that observed numbers of assaults per day have dropped significantly.

NYT also has an interesting article about a non profit getting prosthetics fitted for Ukrainian soldiers:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/world/europe/ukraine-war-amputees.html

I can't imagine being fitted for a prosthetic and then wanting to go back into the army, just incredibly dedicated dudes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I agree that if Zelensky could make a visit, the Ukrainians are pretty confident on that front. I think the Bakhmut situation was worse before Ukraine decided to commit more reinforcements to hold it. Some twitter commentators suggested that troops were rotated from the Avdiivka front for this so that area got a bit more dicey as a result. It seems like both areas are holding and they have weathered the Russian offensive though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/world/europe/ukraine-russia-bakhmut.html

NY times cites a few sources stating that observed numbers of assaults per day have dropped significantly.

NYT also has an interesting article about a non profit getting prosthetics fitted for Ukrainian soldiers:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/world/europe/ukraine-war-amputees.html

I can't imagine being fitted for a prosthetic and then wanting to go back into the army, just incredibly dedicated dudes.

There were a few US soldiers that did exactly that in Afghanistan/Iraq, but nobody is going to hold a candle to Douglas Bader. Dude lost both legs in a training accident before WWII started, but that didn’t stop him from becoming the stuff of nazi pilot nightmares. 22 aerial victories alone between 1940 and 1941, when he was shot down/captured and spent the rest of the war in a PoW camp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

There were a few US soldiers that did exactly that in Afghanistan/Iraq, but nobody is going to hold a candle to Douglas Bader. Dude lost both legs in a training accident before WWII started, but that didn’t stop him from becoming the stuff of nazi pilot nightmares. 22 aerial victories alone between 1940 and 1941, when he was shot down/captured and spent the rest of the war in a PoW camp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

Never heard of that guy before and he sounds absolutely awesome. :cheers:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/nordstream-sprengung-neue-spur-russland-100.html

The German press reports that “suspicious” Russian military vessels based in Kaliningrad are presumed to have operated near the Nord Stream attack site just a few days before it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

Never heard of that guy before and he sounds absolutely awesome. :cheers:

His log entry for the day he crashed and lost his legs is a sight to behold :D

quote:

Crashed slow-rolling near ground. Bad show.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Reuters article: Russia has struck a deal with neighbouring Belarus to station tactical nuclear weapons on its territory, Tass news agency quoted President Vladimir Putin as saying on Saturday.

This seems... bad? As I understand it, wouldn't putting nukes in Belarus be against the current treaties?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

jaete posted:

Reuters article: Russia has struck a deal with neighbouring Belarus to station tactical nuclear weapons on its territory, Tass news agency quoted President Vladimir Putin as saying on Saturday.

This seems... bad? As I understand it, wouldn't putting nukes in Belarus be against the current treaties?

It's one of the things they can do that doesn't appreciably change realistic nuclear threats but also appears to saber rattling with actual teeth. It's being done to scare Europeans and show how totally serious we should all be scared of Russia. For real this time guys, they mean it.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

jaete posted:

they're just continually working on new red lines and provocations and coming up with ... you know, whatever. part sabre rattling, part brinkmanship.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
How is that supposed to scare Europeans when there are already nukes in Kaliningrad? Is the idea to get people talking and anxious about nukes again?

Tbh seems kind of fair now that nuclear bombers are flying in the baltics and finland

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Somaen posted:

How is that supposed to scare Europeans when there are already nukes in Kaliningrad? Is the idea to get people talking and anxious about nukes again?

Tbh seems kind of fair now that nuclear bombers are flying in the baltics and finland

Fear of nuclear war was one of the biggest reasons for hesitation of Europe supporting Ukraine at the start of the war. The "realists" who wanted to provide an "offramp" so Putin could "save face" kept scaring people with nuclear war. This has mostly subsided, and I don't expect this latest move to have much effect here in Europe.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
how the gently caress did he get luka to agree to that

it's not like whatever 4D chess game luka had going on with "oh no, i might align more closely with europe, vova surely you wouldn't want that" had any legs after the 2020 elections (and that brief "here poland, have some free iraqi/syrian asylum seekers who somehow wound up in belovezha" nonsense interlude after), much less after allowing russian troops to invade ukraine from their territory, but like, wat

why dig that hole deeper now. it's not even winter beg for cheap gas season

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
In a world with intercontinental ballistic missiles does it really matter where shorter range missiles are stationed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spankmeister posted:

Fear of nuclear war was one of the biggest reasons for hesitation of Europe supporting Ukraine at the start of the war. The "realists" who wanted to provide an "offramp" so Putin could "save face" kept scaring people with nuclear war. This has mostly subsided, and I don't expect this latest move to have much effect here in Europe.

Yup, it always helps the credibility of your nuclear threat if you appear to be off your rocker. And there was A LOT of speculation about the mental health of Putin after he started the war. At this point though that fear has worn out.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

it's not like whatever 4D chess game luka had going on with "oh no, i might align more closely with europe, vova surely you wouldn't want that" had any legs after the 2020 elections (and that brief "here poland, have some free iraqi/syrian asylum seekers who somehow wound up in belovezha" nonsense interlude after), much less after allowing russian troops to invade ukraine from their territory, but like, wat

If you are Russia's neighbour:

1) Never refuse being given nukes
2) Never give them back

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Lukashenko's been saying that Russia can give Belarus nuclear and 'ultranuclear' weapons since 2020 should NATO cross some unspecified red lines. In the new Belarusian constitution the article about Belarus' non-nuclear status was removed along with the article on neutrality. It took over a year to prepare the referendum in Feb 2022, so presumably Lukashenko wasn't entirely happy about it, but pretty much has to do what he's told at this point.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

spankmeister posted:

That's exactly what I mean, how does this change anything? Oh no, Poland and Lithuania can now be nuked not from Kaliningrad and Muhosransk, but from Kaliningrad and Minsk, making the flight time somewhat shorter from the eastern direction!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

In a world with intercontinental ballistic missiles does it really matter where shorter range missiles are stationed.

It kind of does though, because it reduces the warning time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Charliegrs posted:

And subs. Guess the real question is will tac nukes trigger the end of the world or will they not? But we have a thread for that nonsense...

The audience for this is probably Putin and Russia more than actually scaring Europe (though in Putin's mind it's probably some of the latter, even if its divorced from reality).

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/nordstream-sprengung-neue-spur-russland-100.html

The German press reports that “suspicious” Russian military vessels based in Kaliningrad are presumed to have operated near the Nord Stream attack site just a few days before it.

Oliver Alexander and t-online journalists have been working on this, details in English and further links below:

https://oalexanderdk.substack.com/p/osint-analysis-six-russian-ships

It's probably no smoking gun, but you'd need to be a naval analyst to tell if anything about this was unusual compared to normal Russian naval activity in the Baltic.

It just goes to show how much military naval activity is going on; anyone can latch onto their narrative of choice and find corroborative evidence for it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Somaen posted:

That's exactly what I mean, how does this change anything? Oh no, Poland and Lithuania can now be nuked not from Kaliningrad and Muhosransk, but from Kaliningrad and Minsk, making the flight time somewhat shorter from the eastern direction!!

If Belarus was actually threatened with invasion like their government sometimes claims, it would be a potential deterrence. Since nobody is actually interested in invading them, it's probably just a cheap attempt to scare European countries and tie Belarus closer to Russia.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

EasilyConfused posted:

If Belarus was actually threatened with invasion like their government sometimes claims, it would be a potential deterrence. Since nobody is actually interested in invading them, it's probably just a cheap attempt to scare European countries and tie Belarus closer to Russia.

I think it's intended as coup/revolution deterrence since as said there's no one interested in invading. And I don't see it as really scaring European populations especially more. However, since Putin (and those around him) views all revolutions as having external origins - in their mind this may contribute towards dissuading western powers from fomenting a coup or encouraging protests in Belarus due to the hypothetical uncertainty surrounding custody of the deployed nuclear weapons, response from the Kremlin, etc.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

The first rule about thermonuclear annihilation is:

HAVE FUN!🤯

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

Super dumb question but couldn't Ukraine hit Russian positions in Bakhmut with HIMARS from a safe distance? Like I'm surprised they aren't doing that 24/7. Unless they are?

To add on to this, they're not exactly "safe" along with all of the other artillery assets. They move around constantly, fire, and then move on. Soldiers on the front lines are purposely not told about the location of artillery for their protection.

If I recall right, this interview of a foreign legionary talked a little bit about this (might have been a different interview).

P.S. Just in case, :nms: on the interview. Descriptions of graphic violence and death.

RockWhisperer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 25, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/121j88d/they_are_dumped_into_the_trenches_like_the/

Interesting video from Russian mobiks. No gore or combat, just a bunch of exhausted looking guys talking about the hellzone they were sent to and their casualties.

Interesting to me is that they claim they're being given criminal orders to advance directly into Ukrainian lines of fires (nothing new there), that "blocking" units are established behind them to force them to stay at the front, mobiks are being fleeced for cash on threat of being mobilised to dangerous fronts, and the fact that some of them are "officially" still in training in Kalinigrad despite their unit being decimated at the Ukrainian front in 14 days. The latter claim is the most interesting to me: could we be underestimating the amount of mobiks that are supposedly still in training?

Can any goons who are native speakers identify whether this is plausible / they have Kalinigrad accents etc. or whether this could potentially be a psyop?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 26, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

Can any goons who are native speakers identify whether this is plausible / they have Kalinigrad accents etc. or whether this could potentially be a psyop?

Dmitri/wartranslated posted this from Russians responding to other Russians asking/claiming the same

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639757260766191619

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

Anders Puck Nielsen has a new video about Bakhmut and the larger picture of the war right now. I always find him to be insightful and he presents (what I humbly deem to be) good takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKwPeSnvTE

He thinks Ukraine is staying in Bakhmut because Russia is facing heavier attrition and they don’t want to give them time to recuperate. If they pull out if Bakhmut, Russia won’t follow them on to the next frontline.

Pro click. APN is a very interesting analyst and this is a great video.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Lum_ posted:

Dmitri/wartranslated posted this from Russians responding to other Russians asking/claiming the same

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639757260766191619

Wait, by "blocking units" they mean literally "shoot everyone who tries to retreat" units and we have another tick on our "WW2 Red Army myths made real by Putin" list or is it something else?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Szarrukin posted:

Wait, by "blocking units" they mean literally "shoot everyone who tries to retreat" units and we have another tick on our "WW2 Red Army myths made real by Putin" list or is it something else?

Yes, it's literal shoot anyone that tries to retreat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Russian is much more homogeneous, and it can be quite difficult, if not impossible, to place an accent on a map. There are some stereotypical traits ascribed to this or that region, but they're not particularly difficult to avoid, i.e., we're not talking Received Pronunciation vs Texan English here. You could film an equally credible video in Latvia, if you had nothing better to do with your time.

That said, the origin of this video is not particularly disputable in this case, as quite a few of them are seemingly getting identified as real soldiers. However, it's not really clear why, when, and how this was filmed, so I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with hooting and hollering about barrier units being “confirmed”.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 27, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

[url], mobiks are being fleeced for cash on threat of being mobilised to dangerous fronts,

:eyepop: Is the Russian /Army/ that bad? I can't say I'm surprised but this particular turd sandwich is a new one for me to hear about. Is this a thing anywhere else?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mederlock posted:

:eyepop: Is the Russian /Army/ that bad? I can't say I'm surprised but this particular turd sandwich is a new one for me to hear about. Is this a thing anywhere else?

There were reports families were being enticed to pay bribes to keep husbands and sons away from combat zones months ago, as I recall. It's kinda hard to find them now, unfortunately, but I definitely remember reports about that.

That said, while I have a lot more faith in Ukrainian/pro-Ukrainian reporting than Russian/pro-Russian ones, it's still a war and there's a lot of people with an interest in making Russia look bad, so I only evaluate it as a "maybe."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's the inevitable result of low-level corruption. Anywhere where you pay a little baksheesh to smooth your way is gonna have similar things going on. Certainly I have read about similar things happening in Russia before the war - conscripts paying some cash to get better postings for their mandatory service. The war has just resulted in a particular life and death urgency that gives the corrupt more leverage.

This is separate from the sort of high level corruption where the wealthy and powerful pull strings. The children of the Russian elite getting soft postings is not too different from, say, George W. Bush getting assigned to the Texas Air National Guard during Vietnam.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Putin hollowed out Russian military leadership because he's terrified of someone competent in the military threatening his rule.

Dmitry Medvedev once claimed 20% (that's 1/5th) of the Russian military budget was being lost through theft. This sounds literally insane until you learn that the Russian military in around 2010 awarded a multi-million dollar contract to Zvezdochka to refurbish the Russian Battlecrusier Pyotr Veliky. The Zvezdochka ship repair yard is a completely reputable company, the real issue here was that they gave the contract to the wrong Zvezdochka. And this is just some high profile example, who knows how many fraudulent contracts are Russian military are truly handing out.

When the top is so openly corrupt and salaries/work conditions are consistently awful, you have everyone trying to do everything to improve their living conditions. There's definitely a huge purchase of commissions problem in the Russian military so its a pretty logical conclusion to assume officers who paid for their posts would be doing everything to recoup their investment.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 26, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

Was it a myth in WW2? I thought the myth was that troops were sent into battle without guns (because they didn't have enough) and were told to pick them up from their dead comrades.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Afaik blocking units like presented in Enemy at the Gates didn't really happen, but NKVD was at times deployed to catch and court martial anyone leaving the frontline.

The way it was shown in EAG wouldn't have made sense.
"Comrade, go back to battalion Hq and tell the Germans are retreating! We need reinforcements to pursue them!"
"I can't, they will just shoot messengers at sight!"

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 26, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So Hungary keeps advocating for a cease-fire

quote:

Péter Szijjártó, Head of Hungarian Foreign Ministry, said that Budapest's call for a ceasefire in Ukraine and beginning of peace negotiations does not suggest they believe that Russia should claim all the Ukrainian territories it currently controls.

"You know, stopping the war and sitting around the table does not mean that you accept the status quo," said the Head of the Hungarian Foreign Ministry.

"When the war stops and the peace talks start, it’s not necessary that the borders would be where the front lines are. We know this from our own history as well ... Cease-fire has to come now," Sijarto explained.

Hungary states that the supply of arms to Ukraine and sanctions are not the measures that will help bring peace to Ukraine. Hungarian officials have also repeatedly stated that negotiations between Biden and Putin are necessary to resolve the war in Ukraine.

In particular, in his speech before the UN General Assembly on 23 February, Szijjártó called for negotiations between the US and Russia to end the war in Ukraine.
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/03/26/7395130/

I read the linked interview (a lot of whining about hurt feelings etc.) and there aren't really any more detailed on how that's supposed to work. What possible leverage is there to get them to leave? I don't see rolling back sanctions and pinky swearing not to let Ukraine into NATO would do anything.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Charliegrs posted:

Was it a myth in WW2? I thought the myth was that troops were sent into battle without guns (because they didn't have enough) and were told to pick them up from their dead comrades.

Definitely not a myth, my great-uncle was a decorated war veteran from a blocking battalion and went all the way to Berlin

He died before I was born and I don't know the stories but "no step back under the penalty of death" was indeed an order by Stalin and blocking battalions are not remembered warmly in historical memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Charliegrs posted:

The blocking detachments were real, but I believe it’s a bit overblown about Russia having to shoot their own men. They mainly served as ways to help reorganize and reconstitute so soldiers didn’t just retreat in a disorganized manner and get even more people killed. I think the draconian stuff you’re thinking of became less necessary once the Red Army finally learned the right lessons from its defeats by the Germans in 1941-1942 and got its poo poo together.