Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m currently doing that with 1Password, and… horses, water, etc :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Will it work through the Cloudflare reverse proxy thing?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Well I already have an SSL reverse proxy in front of it, I'm not sure if you were implying having tailscale clients on my family devices.

Even in the event that the service got compromised the password databases themselves are heavily encrypted and in my head is no different than what a lot of other centralized password management solutions are doing already.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I meant this https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/products/tunnel/

If the application only needs to talk HTTPS then expose it to the world using Cloudflare Tunnel so it never appears on a port scan, there's no inbound connection to your server etc. Someone would need to know the URL for your instance to connect to it, and you might be able to do stuff like restrict access to your country only (this is a guess, I've not used it).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Will it work through the Cloudflare reverse proxy thing?
Are you talking about WARP? I've never been clear on exactly what that's doing but it looks cool...?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks like it's even semi-supported by Bitwarden

https://contributing.bitwarden.com/getting-started/server/tunnel/#cloudflare-argo-tunnels

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cr0y posted:

Is it a terrible idea to expose a self hosted bitwarden instance to the internet? Currently mine is only available over my VPN but I am kicking around the idea of extending it to my family in a desperate effort to get them to have better password management and security in general as opposed to using the same drat password for everything.

Just pay for an account somewhere. You don't want your internet going down to be the reason your parents can't get into their bank account.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd go for a 1password family plan tbh

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Inept posted:

Just pay for an account somewhere. You don't want your internet going down to be the reason your parents can't get into their bank account.

Availability really isn't a concern, the clients have a local copy of the DB and just sync on write.

I'll check out the cloudflare stuff, haven't made any decisions one way or the other, just kicking around ideas since I recently migrated away from 1Password.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Cloudflare’s zero trust solutions, GCP’s identity aware proxy, and Azure App Proxy are all good ways to solve this depending on where you’re hosting your instance from (but also just buy 1pass family).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I bought 1pass family. It was the right move.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Inept posted:

Or somebody on vacation if you went with a region lock.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this. But I recently moved off Lastpass to 1password (yes I know late), and after having my optometrist request my social security number, had a bit of a paranoid episode and ended up freezing all 3 major credit bureaus, lexis/nexis, NCTUE and ChexSystems databases.

Was this a bit mad, or do you guys routinely do this sort of identity protection?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I gave up on the freezes just because I tend to churn credit cards for points, but yeah I've got fraud alerts set up everywhere as well as multiple services that alert me to credit changes (including one paid for by the government after being involved in the OPM breach :rolleyes:). The fraud alerts require identify verification so places have to reach out to me first before credit is granted which means I have to make some calls or deal with banks a bit to get them shut down. It's kind of a hassle but I just had somebody last week try to open a new United Visa card through Chase in my name. It's happened to me so often that it's basically become routine.

The credit freezes should prevent you from having to go through that bullshit, though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Happiness Commando posted:

I bought 1pass family. It was the right move.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

poo poo I really need to get on freezing my credit. I see no downsides given how often breaches happen. thanks for the reminder.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Wrong thread.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not that I was able to read/find! Who knows though!

Cloudflare offers a service called Polish that will do exactly this, I'd be a little surprised if they haven't.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cr0y posted:

Is it a terrible idea to expose a self hosted bitwarden instance to the internet? Currently mine is only available over my VPN but I am kicking around the idea of extending it to my family in a desperate effort to get them to have better password management and security in general as opposed to using the same drat password for everything.
Extend the VPN instead of the bitwarden instance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I gave up on the freezes just because I tend to churn credit cards for points, but yeah I've got fraud alerts set up everywhere as well as multiple services that alert me to credit changes (including one paid for by the government after being involved in the OPM breach :rolleyes:). The fraud alerts require identify verification so places have to reach out to me first before credit is granted which means I have to make some calls or deal with banks a bit to get them shut down. It's kind of a hassle but I just had somebody last week try to open a new United Visa card through Chase in my name. It's happened to me so often that it's basically become routine.

The credit freezes should prevent you from having to go through that bullshit, though.
SO glad this isn't a thing here.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Cloudflare’s zero trust solutions, GCP’s identity aware proxy, and Azure App Proxy are all good ways to solve this depending on where you’re hosting your instance from (but also just buy 1pass family).

evil_bunnY posted:

Extend the VPN instead of the bitwarden instance.

I do wonder if you could use any of the identity/authentication options the cloudflare reverse tunnels offer. Like if they went to open the web page first in a browser, and without even logging in to vaultwarden they did the cloudflare verification, and then could they use the app, or I wonder if it's tied to a cookie in the browser. Pretty clunky unfortunately since the bitwarden client couldn't do it for you.

Also by default I think they only can do an email "2-factor".

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m teaching the Cybersecurity 101 course at a local community college this fall and I would love some input on stuff that you’d actually like to see/learn from a course like this.

The curriculum at the moment focuses mainly on the CIA triad of course, and everything will sort of be presented through that lens, but in the age of ChatGPT I want to avoid just assigning a bunch of papers.

Seeing as how it’s an intro course I’m thinking that it would be cool to 1. Introduce a topic, 2. Show how to use an exploit related to that topic, 3. Show how to defend against said exploit. The more hands on the better, in my mind.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Yikes - I thought about doing credit point churning but it just sounded like so much more work, and from the last time I looked into it, looked like most CCs had nerfed their reward programs

Famethrowa posted:

poo poo I really need to get on freezing my credit. I see no downsides given how often breaches happen. thanks for the reminder.

I think when I go for a new line of credit, etc., it may be more of an issue, but considering how much of a charlie foxtrot having to deal with identity fraud seems like, I'm ok with it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a "freezing your credit at this bureau requires a phone call on every 3rd tuesday of the 4th month betwee 2 and 4 am" to unfreeze.

evil_bunnY posted:

SO glad this isn't a thing here.

Where exactly is this? I have friends in the EU, SEA and various asian countries who've also had issues with identity fraud. I imagine anywhere with an internet connection and online banking has this issue. Do you live in space?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

adnam posted:

Yikes - I thought about doing credit point churning but it just sounded like so much more work, and from the last time I looked into it, looked like most CCs had nerfed their reward programs

Tbqh I have not been churning lately but there are plenty of current offers that can net you $500+ with minimal effort: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/ The nice thing about the CC bonuses is they are not taxed as income like a bank account bonus is. Is it worth the bullshit? Eh, I guess I can put up with a lot for a little bit of free cash. YMMV

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Tbqh I have not been churning lately but there are plenty of current offers that can net you $500+ with minimal effort: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/ The nice thing about the CC bonuses is they are not taxed as income like a bank account bonus is. Is it worth the bullshit? Eh, I guess I can put up with a lot for a little bit of free cash. YMMV

I did not know about the taxation. There's a lot of bs I can put up with for some extra cash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adnam posted:

Where exactly is this? I have friends in the EU, SEA and various asian countries who've also had issues with identity fraud. I imagine anywhere with an internet connection and online banking has this issue. Do you live in space?
Scandinavia. There's plenty of fraud CC theft etc, but I've never had anyone I know get an account or card opened in their name

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well well well:

https://www.securityweek.com/chatgpt-data-breach-confirmed-as-security-firm-warns-of-vulnerable-component-exploitation/

quote:

OpenAI said on Friday that it had taken the chatbot offline earlier in the week while it worked with the maintainers of the Redis data platform to patch a flaw that resulted in the exposure of user information.

The issue was related to ChatGPT’s use of Redis-py, an open source Redis client library, and it was introduced by a change made by OpenAI on March 20.

The chatbot’s developers use Redis to cache user information in their server, to avoid having to check the database for every request. The Redis-py library serves as a Python interface.

The bug introduced by OpenAI resulted in ChatGPT users being shown chat data belonging to others.

According to OpenAI’s investigation, the titles of active users’ chat history and the first message of a newly created conversation were exposed in the data breach. The bug also exposed payment-related information belonging to 1.2% of ChatGPT Plus subscribers, including first and last name, email address, payment address, payment card expiration date, and the last four digits of the customer’s card number.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

App13 posted:

I’m teaching the Cybersecurity 101 course at a local community college this fall and I would love some input on stuff that you’d actually like to see/learn from a course like this.

The curriculum at the moment focuses mainly on the CIA triad of course, and everything will sort of be presented through that lens, but in the age of ChatGPT I want to avoid just assigning a bunch of papers.

Seeing as how it’s an intro course I’m thinking that it would be cool to 1. Introduce a topic, 2. Show how to use an exploit related to that topic, 3. Show how to defend against said exploit. The more hands on the better, in my mind.

That sounds awesome! If you're structuring it like that, it might be a good idea to introduce them more formally to threat modeling. Given a system, how do you break it? How do you keep it from being broken?

I was involved with university recruiting for my team for years and the one of the main issues I saw with intern candidates/new grads was that a lot of them struggled with the "why". I'd talk to plenty who could rattle off a checklist of broad defensive controls, and plenty who thought the workshop they did on red teaming was Really Cool and just want to break things all day with their outdated yet oddly specific knowledge of exploiting MS08-067, but tying all of that together didn't always happen. Of course some of that comes with experience and context, but I don't recall any intro class really focusing on the practicality and reality rather than rote memorization of the definition of Virus and Worm.

Shuu fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 29, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

my company is barreling ahead on integration with chatgpts api so this is useful ammo for us to try to slow things down and get some clarity on openai's security practices.

e. still feel like this is a freight train of unintended consequences we won't be able to truly mitigate. no one even knew they were building it into our product until they announced they would be rolling it out soon.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/crowdstrike-detects-and-prevents-active-intrusion-campaign-targeting-3cxdesktopapp-customers/

quote:

On March 29, 2023, CrowdStrike observed unexpected malicious activity emanating from a legitimate, signed binary, 3CXDesktopApp — a softphone application from 3CX. The malicious activity includes beaconing to actor-controlled infrastructure, deployment of second-stage payloads, and, in a small number of cases, hands-on-keyboard activity.

Seems good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

3CX response is complete poo poo as well, I don't think they are equipped to handle what looks like someone infiltrating their build environment

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Scandinavia. There's plenty of fraud CC theft etc, but I've never had anyone I know get an account or card opened in their name

That's awesome. Wonder what structural factors lead to that being a less likely possibility.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah one of our vendors packages this in, we're in cleanup to get it out of our environment.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

adnam posted:

That's awesome. Wonder what structural factors lead to that being a less likely possibility.

It has been ages since I last got a credit card, but I believe the two methods to acquire one are an in-person meeting in the bank office where you will show your driver's license or another valid authentication, or you use your online banking account which has always required 2FA authentication by every bank since the turn of the millenia.

I don't think it's possible to get a card by sending signed paperwork anywhere. My understanding is in US paper spam often includes pre-filled credit applications/ads. Those aren't a thing at all. My own bank may occasionally mail me ads, but any actual application would have to go another path. I don't think any other bank besides my own has sent me ads since forever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adnam posted:

Strong ID controls for banking actions like that (opening cards/accounts), and tight lockdowns by default for money transfers. My bank specifically asked me what countries they should allow transfers to, for example.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah one of our vendors packages this in, we're in cleanup to get it out of our environment.

The latest Defender definitions are picking this up and removing it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

adnam posted:

It's mostly due to PSD, active 2010, which provide a strong set of regulations and penalties for banks which provides accounts without a proper user verification.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Also, at least in Scandinavia, there are public census databases and it's typically not possible to get sensitive things like credit cards sent anywhere other than your legal residence address. Specifically for credit cards the procedure is to send the card via regular mail and a letter with the PIN code via certified mail so you have to go to the post office and sign for it. The card is only just barely usable without the PIN here; in some cases not at all usable. I actually got into an embarrassing situation with a cab driver last time I was in the US because it turns out my bank only supports chip-and-PIN and contactless these days, but his machine did neither.

Identity theft-related stuff does still happen but it's rare and pretty hard to pull off. There was a thing a couple of years ago that involved sending a fake address change form to the tax authorities as the first step IIRC, but I'm pretty sure that's been patched up.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 30, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

The latest Defender definitions are picking this up and removing it

Same with Crowdstrike, given they apparently were on the ball about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheFluff posted:

I actually got into an embarrassing situation with a cab driver last time I was in the US because it turns out my bank only supports chip-and-PIN and contactless these days, but his machine did neither.

Does your card still have the magnetic strip on it? If so - why?