Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I only just today found out that Tyranids with ranged weapons have guns they hold in their hands. That's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FPyat posted:

I only just today found out that Tyranids with ranged weapons have guns they hold in their hands. That's something.

held in their hands, grown in their hands, close enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FPyat posted:

Technically those are just other Tyranids that are being carried for the purpose of puking on the enemy. Or spitting out little beetles at the enemy. Or firing penises at the enemy.

All of these are, more or less, real weapons that they have actually had.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Technically those are just other Tyranids that are being carried for the purpose of puking on the enemy. Or spitting out little beetles at the enemy. Or firing penises at the enemy.

All of these are, more or less, real weapons that they have actually had.

'Nids are the coolest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Or firing penises at the enemy.

Or the Biovore which is literally just a walking penis gun

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arc Hammer posted:

Or the prpyrovore which is just a syphilitic chode

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

chainchompz posted:

Almost done with all of the Warhammer crime books. What a ride. Is it worth getting the audio drama for Baggit and Clodde and do they use helium or some other effect for Baggit's ratling voice?

It absolutely is, the voices and writing are great and it is interspersed with official imperium propaganda radio broadcasts that are rad.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

D-Pad posted:

It absolutely is, the voices and writing are great and it is interspersed with official imperium propaganda radio broadcasts that are rad.

I know it's a UK jam but for some reason I read all of the broadcasts in the book in a transatlantic accent.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The early generations held their guns, later ones had them grown on

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mark of Calth is really fun, really helps that all the stories are focused on one theme. Athame is marvelous.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

While that is correct and spore mines are hillarious, the Spike Rifle reminds me of the types of Octpus and Sea Slug that don't want to get eaten when mating so they have detatchable penises to fire at females. Or each other. Does this result in what I like to think of as twitch-shooter penis 360 noscope duels?

Yes. Yes it does.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

While that is correct and spore mines are hillarious, the Spike Rifle reminds me of the types of Octpus and Sea Slug that don't want to get eaten when mating so they have detatchable penises to fire at females. Or each other. Does this result in what I like to think of as twitch-shooter penis 360 noscope duels?

Yes. Yes it does.

Laser Squid Nemesis

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I finished the Legacy of Caliban omnibus.

My overall impression is that the longer it went on, the more it felt like it needed to go through a few more writing drafts, as some stuff felt really weirdly paced and disjointed, from prose that introduced story-redefining twists with very little fanfare and flashbacks that were straight up cut and paste from earlier books (and short stories), the very first of which started off as a scene from a different character's perspective but then switched right back to the original one.

But there's one thing I'm gonna need to make sure I understood right: Are the Dark Angels actually responsible for Caliban exploding, due to duking it out with the Death Guard just outside a loving time portal, and attacking the Ouroboros, the warp entity contained inside the planet, which we know is connected to the Tuchulcha, which explains itself as existing in every moment in time simultaneously, which means that disturbing it would very much have apocalyptic consequences?

Because if so, that's loving hilarious, and also clever in a superb dramatic-irony way, but given the inconsistencies may very well have been an accident of Gav Thorpe's writing than the actual climax it was building towards.

On a much lesser note my theory is that Cypher is Annael, as the last we see of him he's riding off on his motorcycle into the metaphorical sunset of a self-induced warp explosion so why the gently caress not?

Anyway, Asmodai is the best.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In HH, we found out that Cypher is a title within the OG Dark Angels, but that was the first and only set of Heresy novels I 100% lost interest in.

I'd be curious if anything came from that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/26/sunday-preview-house-cawdor-enter-the-necromundan-civil-war-on-majestic-legs-of-iron/

Only one book going up for pre-order next weeked, but one I've been waiting for at least. It's Vaults of Terra: The Dark City by Chris Wraight.

About drat time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was very tempted at the game store by the Warboss novel. Anybody had a chance to read it or at least is Mike Brooks worth taking the risk on?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Roll them dice.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I was very tempted at the game store by the Warboss novel. Anybody had a chance to read it or at least is Mike Brooks worth taking the risk on?

I just opened it and its a very good sign that all the chapter numbers after five are just 'Lotz'.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

a lovely king posted:

I just opened it and its a very good sign that all the chapter numbers after five are just 'Lotz'.

Holy poo poo I might need to get this

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I've enjoyed the Mike Brooks 40k novels I've read.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm almost finished and it's great. Mike Brooks hasn't had a bad book yet, but each Ork book has been better than the last. He really gets what makes them fun. Definitely don't skip it, it's a lot of fun.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Brutal Kunnin was great because, among other things, it did a great job of conveying the exact ratio of respect and schadenfreude that orks feel for one another.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

moths posted:

In HH, we found out that Cypher is a title within the OG Dark Angels, but that was the first and only set of Heresy novels I 100% lost interest in.

I'd be curious if anything came from that.

The Luther book kinda spells this out. Cypher is a title and even Luther wasn't sure who's side he was on.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm reading that one now. Immediately we start with household pratfalls with a Tzeentchian minion. I'm happy at least that they establish outright that there are lady marine-equivalents alongside the titular dude, and thus they're completely lore-compatible with Fallen warbands in the TTG.

The question since Descent of Angels has been who in present-day 40k is using the Cypher name, and the sensible theory is it's still just Zahariel, but I'm not here for sensible theories.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Infinite and the Divine is so good. Can't recommend it enough, Trazyn and Orikan rule.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

So I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I've named my sloop (small boat) in Sea of Thieves 'Only in Death', my galleon (large boat) 'Armour of Contempt' and now I need a name for my brigantine (medium boat). Getting the in-game money for a ship is a lot of effort, and changing it costs real money, so I want a name that has the same sort of punch and gravitas as the other two.

I considered 'The End and the Death', but then I'd be using "Death" twice and also it's kind of contextual.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black Griffon posted:

So I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I've named my sloop (small boat) in Sea of Thieves 'Only in Death', my galleon (large boat) 'Armour of Contempt' and now I need a name for my brigantine (medium boat). Getting the in-game money for a ship is a lot of effort, and changing it costs real money, so I want a name that has the same sort of punch and gravitas as the other two.

I considered 'The End and the Death', but then I'd be using "Death" twice and also it's kind of contextual.

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Gravitas, What Gravitas?
  • Gravitas... Gravitas... No, Don't Help Me, I'll Get It In A Moment...
  • Gravitas Free Zone
  • Low Gravitas Warning Signal
  • Absolutely No You-Know-What
  • Zero Gravitas
  • Very Little Gravitas Indeed
  • Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

Vengeful Spirit?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

If you're doing GG titles then His Last Command works, though it's a little downbeat.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Cacafuego.

Wait poo poo, wrong thread.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Not a bad ship name though.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Gravitas, What Gravitas?
  • Gravitas... Gravitas... No, Don't Help Me, I'll Get It In A Moment...
  • Gravitas Free Zone
  • Low Gravitas Warning Signal
  • Absolutely No You-Know-What
  • Zero Gravitas
  • Very Little Gravitas Indeed
  • Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall

:golfclap:

OPAONI posted:

Vengeful Spirit?

That's pretty good, but it also kinda just sounds like a ship name in any setting. Adding it to the list though.

a lovely king posted:

If you're doing GG titles then His Last Command works, though it's a little downbeat.

I considered that, but then I thought of an enemy going "wait is it my last command or the captain or yours? is it a threat or are you depressed?". Also it's more that Dan is just really good at coming up with badass phrases.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Black Griffon posted:

Not a 40k reference but I have always loved naming ships in computer games after HMS Black Joke, one of the most prolific anti-slavery ships the Royal Navy has every had.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Black Griffon posted:

Unsinkable II

Real Answer: Check the lore of the Gothic War, it's filled with properly 40k ship names.

E: Or check this list instead: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Navy_Vessels_(List)

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 27, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Not a 40k reference but I have always loved naming ships in computer games after HMS Black Joke, one of the most prolific anti-slavery ships the Royal Navy has every had.

That's pretty righteous, I'll give you that.

Angry Lobster posted:

Unsinkable II

Real Answer: Check the lore of the Gothic War, it's filled with properly 40k ship names.

E: Or check this list instead: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Navy_Vessels_(List)

There's some good ones in there, but a lot of them are ship names ship names, and those have a sort of deficit of seriousness.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Missed opportunity to have a trio:

Armour of Contempt
Shield of Disgust
Sword of Hatred

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

That's pretty righteous, I'll give you that.

There's some good ones in there, but a lot of them are ship names ship names, and those have a sort of deficit of seriousness.

"a sort of deficit of seriousness" is a good Ship name. Probably a GSV.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NihilCredo posted:

Missed opportunity to have a trio:

Armour of Contempt
Shield of Disgust
Sword of Hatred
Make it a quartet with the Pointy Stick of Disapproval

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Black Griffon posted:

The Serpent and the Saint? Bonus points if you can mount a figurehead of someone being eaten by a big snake.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Make it a quartet with the Pointy Stick of Disapproval

That's what you call your rowboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Culture ship names aside, a little googling turned up this list of ship names from the Horus Heresy. There's some great ones there, including:

The Agony and the Ecstasy
Daughter of Woe
Strontium Dawn
Sorrow Vector
Judgement’s Intercession
Reason of Truth
Descent From Hope
Lineage of Virtue
Unyielding Glory
Indomitable Will
Portent of the Western Dawn
Sanctifying Grace