Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Rough to see WTK out injured, especially at 7-6! Hope he comes back strong.

On the bright side, my #2 choice for that rank was Daieisho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Brut posted:

What? He's only been Sekiwake this basho but he was Komusubi for the 3 consecutive bashos before that

I could have sworn it said different when I looked at Wikipedia earlier this morning, but clearly I'm wrong.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We're back with some fantasy results! I realized I misread where WTK was at and already marked him mk on everyone's teams, so if you have him and your score seems .5 points lower than it should be, just wait until tomorrow and it should all work out.

Day 14 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
44.5	GoatSeeGuy
43.5	MyChemicalImbalance
42.5	NuclearPotato
41	Marching Powder
41	Thauros
41	Tiny Bug Child
40.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
39.5	anakha
39.5	Vargatron
39	Ice Phisherman
39	LlamaTrauma
39	Saturnine Aberrance
39	Teddybear
38.5	Akiosan
38.5	MalarkeyToboggan
38	Banana Canada
37.5	Iron Chef Nex
36	bartolimu
36	Mode 7
35	ratmosphere
33.5	captainblastum
33.5	Jobbo_Fett
33	Helianthus Annuus
33	Kenning
33	Khizan
33	Liquid Communism
33	pseudodragon
32.5	Eli949
32	Fluffdaddy
30.5	scripterror
30.5	sivad
30.5	Tochiazuma
29.5	Netsky
28.5	Kuros
28.5	Pakled
24	Crusty Nutsack
24	Flinger
23	Charles Gnarwin
23	Communist Thoughts
Juryo
code:
38.5	Average Lettuce
37	Beexoffel
27.5	Ben Nerevarine
29	Bentai
39.5	bessantj
33	Boogalo
38	Brut
28.5	Chinook
32.5	Dead Goon
37	do it on my face
34	Eldoop
36.5	Elissimpark
39.5	Fearless
41.5	Gaghskull
27.5	ImplicitAssembler
43.5	Lid
39.5	Log082
32.5	Nativity In Black
28	oldskool
41	PJ
25	Pvt. Public
40.5	QuasiQuack
35	rare Magic card l00k
35	riderchop
41	Robviously
26.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
38	Single Tight Female
39	ullerrm
36	whats for dinner
24.5	Xerzes

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Juryo
code:
38.5	Average Lettuce
37	Beexoffel
27.5	Ben Nerevarine
29	Bentai
39.5	bessantj
33	Boogalo
38	Brut
28.5	Chinook
32.5	Dead Goon
37	do it on my face
34	Eldoop
36.5	Elissimpark
39.5	Fearless
41.5	Gaghskull
27.5	ImplicitAssembler
43.5	Lid
39.5	Log082
32.5	Nativity In Black
28	oldskool
41	PJ
25	Pvt. Public
40.5	QuasiQuack
35	rare Magic card l00k
35	riderchop
41	Robviously
26.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
38	Single Tight Female
39	ullerrm
36	whats for dinner
24.5	Xerzes

What's going on here big K?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bessantj posted:

Yeah. I think my score is too high-- my spreadsheet has me at 37 points (i have not been recording fusen as .5 though so that is also too high) and not 39.5. Claiming unearned points without comment is not my team's brand of sumo.

(No criticism here at all, to be clear. Only curiosity)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Kenzan Goono Association has determined new scoring algorithms and I, for one, am okay with this new development.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Moving to an alphabetical goonzuke, for increased fairness

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Eldoop posted:

Moving to an alphabetical goonzuke, for increased fairness

It keeps me off the bottom!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Houshouryuu rules. Also happy for Ura to go kk finally!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The only thing possibly saving me from returning to juryo here is that everyone is doing poorly.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Man that Kawazoe/Shimanoumi match from yesterday is wild, really incredible recoveries from Kawazoe.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

At the spring basho in Osaka. That BuySumo site really works.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ham Equity posted:

hell yeah

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

box-level seats? baller move.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scythe posted:

box-level seats? baller move.

No, arena seats, I was too worried about sitting my fat goon rear end in the box seats for so long, plus there are three of us so it would have been considerably more expensive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are two rikishi in the Juryo division who have 6- and 7- match records, do they move people up for a single match if the rikishi who are supposed to fight can't do it due to injury or something?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

quote not edit etc.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 26, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bessantj posted:

Whoops! Forgot to sort by score. Fixed it.

Fearless posted:

Yeah. I think my score is too high-- my spreadsheet has me at 37 points (i have not been recording fusen as .5 though so that is also too high) and not 39.5. Claiming unearned points without comment is not my team's brand of sumo.

(No criticism here at all, to be clear. Only curiosity)

Checking your score, the thing you might be seeing is that you've gotten 3 bonus points from kachi-koshi (Kiribayama, Abi, and Hokuseiho), and one .5 point penalty from make-koshi (Takakeisho, which everyone will have this basho). The bonus point schedule leads to big point jumps around the end of the basho as KK and MK come in, along with special prizes and yusho etc.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Ham Equity posted:

There are two rikishi in the Juryo division who have 6- and 7- match records, do they move people up for a single match if the rikishi who are supposed to fight can't do it due to injury or something?

Yeah, since everyone in the top 2 divisions fights every day, if there's an uneven number of people someone comes up, that being said...I'm looking at the Absent Rikishi page and 4 Makuuchi rikishi are absent, and none from Juryo so...I'm not actually sure why they brought 2 people up from Makushita, weird. There are no Juryo-Makuuchi exchange bouts today so it's not a cascade effect of some sort, I guess they couldn't figure out a way to build today's torikumi while having all the Juryo guys fight each other, there's restrictions on wrestlers from the same stable being not allowed to fight eachother so that might have something to do with it, someone more knowledgeable could probably do a deeper analysis on what's going on with this though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ham Equity posted:

final day more than any other is a grab bag of match-ups, especially as a lot of the rikishi with similar records will have already fought each other earlier in the basho. the Juryo yusho might be down to two guys who are 12-2, but they already met on day 6, so the idea is to find them an opponent from anywhere in the division who still has a real stake on the result - one of them will be matched with a guy who's 9-5 at J4 and has a makuuchi promotion riding on whether he wins or not, and the other will get a J10 who's at 7-7 and this bout will decide whether they're kachikoshi or makekoshi.

edit: also if they end up one rikishi short due to injury and the higher makushita guys who only fought 6 times have final-day fights already scheduled, they'll call up someone to fight an extra bout - in this case Tsukuhara comes up from makushita for an 8th bout and finishes with a win and a 3-5 record, which will give him a better rank next tourney than if he'd just ended with a standard 2-5.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 26, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Day 15: Good to see Tochinoshin finishing on a win :unsmith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Eldoop posted:

Day 15: Good to see Tochinoshin finishing on a win :unsmith:

:hai:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Day 15 Juryo: Ochiai almost had him!! aahh!

Juryo just ended, Sandame playoff up next, two guys from the same stable (Tamanoi), one who's been in Sumo for almost 10 years, the other on his 5th tournament.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brut posted:

Day 15 Juryo: Ochiai almost had him!! aahh!
yeah wow, an incredible, super-intense bout, you could see the strain from both of them

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Oh wow the east-west society guys get to come up to the dohyo to present lower division Yusho winners their own prizes? I never noticed this before

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Special prizes are up.

Shokan-sho (Outstanding Performance): none
Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit): Kinbozan, conditionally Midorifuji
Gino-sho (Technique): Kiribayama, Daieisho

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a spoiler or not:. Day 15: they had some sort of exhibition match or something at the end of the second division, and one of the rikishi had his hair down, it was a relatively small dude; what was up with that?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Ham Equity posted:

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not:. Day 15: they had some sort of exhibition match or something at the end of the second division, and one of the rikishi had his hair down, it was a relatively small dude; what was up with that?

It was this:

Brut posted:

Sandame playoff up next, two guys from the same stable (Tamanoi), one who's been in Sumo for almost 10 years, the other on his 5th tournament.

Since Toshunryu's hair isn't long enough to be put up in a topknot, they just leave it down and slicked back. Same deal with Ochiai in the final Juryo match, but of course his hair is even shorter since it's only his second tournament.

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

It was this:

Since Toshunryu's hair isn't long enough to be put up in a topknot, they just leave it down and slicked back. Same deal with Ochiai in the final Juryo match, but of course his hair is even shorter since it's only his second tournament.

Is being in Juryo at nineteen years old and in your second tournament pretty rare?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Is being in Juryo at nineteen years old and in your second tournament pretty rare?

certainly in the second tournament is incredibly rare and normally impossible. he started his career at makushita 15 thanks to winning amateur sumo tournaments. i asked for more info as i was only familiar with that usually at sandame from university sumo and this is the blog post i was linked to.

https://www.fantasybasho.com/post/on-makushita-tsukedashi

quote:

Yet in the future, it is entirely possible January 2023 will not be best remembered for Takakeisho making a Yokozuna run. It could be remembered as the debut of Ochiai. For the unfamiliar, Ochiai is a 19 year old former high school Yokozuna. His final year in high school, he finished in the top 8 of the All Japan Amateur Sumo Championships. That would have made him eligible to start in the Sandanme division had he joined professional sumo after school. Instead, he spent a year working in his father’s firm and competing in corporate sumo. After winning the Corporate Yokozuna title, he joined Miyagino stable for January as a Makushita Tsukedashi.

13 different Universities have produced Makushita Tsukedashi. By far the most successful has been Nihon University. 37 Makushita Tsukedashi are former Nihon University students, including Wajima and Kotomitsuki. The group of Makushita Tsukedashi wrestlers tend to have some similar characteristics. They enter sumo slightly older, with a good sense of what they are doing, and a wealth of competitive experience.

Yet Ochiai doesn’t totally fit this bill, because he did not attend University. That isn’t completely unprecedented, but it is quite rare. 14 wrestlers started in Makushita without first attending University. Largely, this group has not been as impressive as their peers who competed in University sumo. They also have been getting increasingly rare over the last few decades. The last one was Ichinojo, who joined pro sumo in 2013. Before that, no one had done it since Tochitaiki in 1995. Ichinojo is by far the best parallel to Ochiai. Like Ochiai, he was a high school standout who decided to delay his professional career by a year to garner more amateur accolades. He also dominated his first professional basho.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ham Equity posted:

Yes, absolutely so. Most recruits start at the bottom; only those who who've won one of recognized amateur tourneys get to start at Ms 10-15, and of those, the only way to get to Juryo in your second tournament is a 7-0 record in the first. Can't check the database right now, but if Ochiai isn't the first, I'd bet you could count on one hand the people who've acheived it before him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah it's pretty unusual, basically this requires that you come in at Makushita Tsukedashi usually at rank 10 or 15 of that division, depending on your accomplishments in amateur/university Sumo, obviously a 19 year old was not on the university side of things, and then you also have to do really well in your debut tournament which is no easy feat.

Here's a recent article about Makushita Tsukedashi in general but also about Ochiai specifically, worth reading if you're interested in this, in addition, we might see somewhat of a similar situation in the next couple tournaments as the man in the top left here, Nakamura Daiki (hilariously, same real name as the current makuuchi veteran Hokutofuji) will be joining at Makushita 10, having won enough to earn the rank but then also winning another qualifying tournament, presumably just for fun:

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 26, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shodai and furthermore, SHODAI

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: BONUS SUMO FOLKS

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
spoiler-free day 15 reaction: aaaaaaaa, what a finish

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yusho decided by a handstomp of all things :lol:

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Kiribayama super star ultra

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
actual spoilers: kiribayama experiencing the full gamut of emotions as the shimpan went step-by-step through the mono-ii until they comfirmed that they upheld his win. what a perfect ending!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

Whoops! Forgot to sort by score. Fixed it.

Checking your score, the thing you might be seeing is that you've gotten 3 bonus points from kachi-koshi (Kiribayama, Abi, and Hokuseiho), and one .5 point penalty from make-koshi (Takakeisho, which everyone will have this basho). The bonus point schedule leads to big point jumps around the end of the basho as KK and MK come in, along with special prizes and yusho etc.

Ah! I was not aware of the bonus points. Please pardon my ignorance, then and thank you for explaining this.

E: What an incredible basho. I watched January and really enjoyed it, but this time around has been a real roller coaster. Kiribayama's looking like a credible candidate for Ozeki and it looks like Makuuchi is starting to really heat up.

But most of all, Shodai.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 15: lol that both Kiribayama Daieisho matches went the same way, Daieisho powering forward and Kiribayama side-stepping at the last moment. The first one was quite something, the slow-motion showing Kiribayama applying force at the right place, right time.