Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m worried about American’s gentrifying Portugal says man gentrifying Portugal. was my favorite

England is doing it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m worried about American’s gentrifying Portugal says man gentrifying Portugal. was my favorite

darn them to heck

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yes I believe you can still have mortgage insurance (PMI) on a jumbo mortgage loan. It is a non-conforming loan so the lender can gently caress around a bit more with the numbers, but if you only put 5% down instead of 15-20% you may find yourself paying an extra $150 monthly. Do the math to determine if that's better or worse than waiting and saving. I am not an expert, please do your own comparison

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I finally got windows in my $4,000 house after a 9 month wait, still waiting on water and gas tho..

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

palindrome posted:

Yes I believe you can still have mortgage insurance (PMI) on a jumbo mortgage loan. It is a non-conforming loan so the lender can gently caress around a bit more with the numbers, but if you only put 5% down instead of 15-20% you may find yourself paying an extra $150 monthly. Do the math to determine if that's better or worse than waiting and saving. I am not an expert, please do your own comparison

thank you r/personalfinance

it’s less than 2k a year. that’s two thirds of a month of rent. paying pmi means you can actually get a house, you’ll never save 20%, and if you do somehow manage to amass $100,000, the interest rates will be even worse and you’ll lose all that in the first <10 years of repayments.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t know if it’s my area, the
finance calculators I’m using being poo poo, or what, but PMI here is more than 2/3rds of a month of mortgage.

your overall point is well taken though, better to get in now with PMI than wait and be forever locked out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
housing prices should be higher

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t know if it’s my area, the
finance calculators I’m using being poo poo, or what, but PMI here is more than 2/3rds of a month of mortgage.

your overall point is well taken though, better to get in now with PMI than wait and be forever locked out.

That's crazy. Pmi is less than 5% of each monthly payment for us , but we do have really high ptoperty taxes so maybe that's part of it?

It is kind of funny how much whining there was about the SALT changes trump did but it's mostly gone now

Speaking of mortgage insurance, I found this on the ihda website

The Illinois Homeowner Assistance Fund (ILHAF) provides up to $60,000 in mortgage assistance to eligible homeowners — paid directly to the servicer, taxing body or other approved entity.

Eligible = in default or missing a bunch of payments or some such. Almost worth trying for a strategic default to get that kind of money. But just shows what a joke PMI is when it's supposed to cover the risk of default that this covers way easier

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Mar 18, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*correction - I meant that the ANNUAL SUM of the PMI is higher than 2/3s of 1 month of mortgage

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
PMI mostly makes me wonder what the interest rate is supposed to cover if not risk of default?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Buffer posted:

PMI mostly makes me wonder what the interest rate is supposed to cover if not risk of default?

Inflation

But yeah ask the same thing about student loans (especially the higher interest rate grad loans) lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Buffer posted:

their profit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ammanas posted:

100 billion bailouts for banks, 0% interest loans for big business, but 7% for consumers

Yeah, interest rates aren't going anywhere now that they've "saved" the banks and all the noise around a pivot is some combination of cope and intentional manipulation.

Housing prices won't necessarily always go up (although they mostly will), but affordability will always go down. Rates are also probably going to stay high for a while, which might legitimately lead to a crisis if a lot of people are overbuying with the intention of refinancing over the very short-term. I've already seen mortgage companies offering things like first-year interest rate discounts, too, which is going to trap even more people.

Anyway, the fact that close to a quarter of the market is investors is a pretty good explanation for how so many expensive homes are still going up and selling. Those cash buyers guarantee buyers for existing homeowners, so there are plenty of people who can easily keep climbing the property ladder even if there aren't any traditional buyers that can afford their homes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm in this same situation and it's honestly a little upsetting to me. I realize my extreme privilege to have been able to buy a house 6 years ago for half the price of now, then refinance it 3 years ago at insanely low interest rates, but also a lot of that is just that I'm getting older.

The youth are hosed.

very much the same situation here.

constantly feels like I'm on the bottom rung of a rope ladder attached to a helicopter that is definitely not flying in a manner I have 100% faith in.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

very much the same situation here.

constantly feels like I'm on the bottom rung of a rope ladder attached to a helicopter that is definitely not flying in a manner I have 100% faith in.

you have NO REASON to believe in this system anymore. it's a mass delusion.

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

i'm worried about america petrifying

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

you best start believing in capitalism

you're in it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I hope something happens but for as skeezy as a lot of the mortgage/finance industry is right now, it still seems like it’s not even close to the 00’s poo poo like NINJA loans

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hope something happens but for as skeezy as a lot of the mortgage/finance industry is right now, it still seems like it’s not even close to the 00’s poo poo like NINJA loans

Yeah but ninjas haven’t been trendy for quite a while. They’re probably figuring out how to make ZOMBIE loans a thing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1637188180070875137?s=20

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think it would be funny if former colonial powers were all colonized by other cultures

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

I think it would be funny if former colonial powers were all colonized by other cultures

I think I'd prefer that the dipshit American mortgage broker with a wife ten years younger than him got hit in the head with a brick instead, but I may be biased.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the Portugal one is the “graffiti” artist.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think I'd prefer that the dipshit American mortgage broker with a wife ten years younger than him got hit in the head with a brick instead, but I may be biased.

we can have both!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

mastershakeman posted:

that seems like a lot of work for an eagle scout don't they usually make mailboxes or some poo poo

i poured a sidewalk through town and gave up halfway, what the gently caress was i thinking

I redid the landscaping for a senior center. They'd had problems with people ripping out the plants and irrigation stuff to resell, so we went with bare gravel, rocks, and cacti. :v:

Far as I know, it's still there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jedi425 posted:

I redid the landscaping for a senior center. They'd had problems with people ripping out the plants and irrigation stuff to resell, so we went with bare gravel, rocks, and cacti. :v:

Far as I know, it's still there.

little old ladies falling over and getting stuck on a cactus. perfect

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol

it's such poison. housing is purely for investment purposes and not for a place to live.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

not to diminish this at all but it’s everywhere every single town and up is infected with this :negative:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah I will rather stay in a hostel than ever sleep in an Airbnb

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Celexi posted:

Yeah I will rather stay in a hostel than ever sleep in an Airbnb

Hostels are on Airbnb now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
airbnbs used to be a cheaper option than a ~C hotel room (aloft, Courtyard) with some extra space, but now somehow they're the same price as a B- hotel (Sheraton/Delta tier) with fewer amenities even though there's 100x as many as there were in 2016.

I don't even remember the last time I used one, probably 2016

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
when I did my backpacking trip you could book Airbnb's in (decrepit) hotels for $40 a day I left that place when my roommate disappeared and the pipes burst and they wouldn't give me a discount lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They hide half the price of airbnbs behind fees that only show up once you try to book one. I've actually tried to stay at one a few times but could never afford the actual price once it showed up. I don't really understand how there are still so many of them and who is staying in them for those prices.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

not only do they all have cleaning and other fees tacked on now, but many also come with specific orders to clean up before leaving, including taking out the trash, doing any dishes, cleaning the sheets, etc. If you don't do it all, they charge you even more.

it's so loving ridiculous and I don't know of anyone who uses them anymore, but someone must. landlord brained poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i remember when i visited paris in 2016 i stayed in this tiny little room with a very tiny bathroom, probably 100-150 SF total, but all I needed. very close to the eiffel tower and it was $30/night

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Airbnb's are ridiculously priced and way more than they used to be, but so are hotels pretty much anywhere I have been for the last 15 years? Like I can't remember the last time I paid less than 200/night and there are also a ton of hidden taxes there. Not even for nice places. They both suck and have suffered insane inflation, and like everything else I have no idea how people afford it

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse
*~*Whi$tfully Dreamy~*~* to have discretionary money

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i remember when i visited paris in 2016 i stayed in this tiny little room with a very tiny bathroom, probably 100-150 SF total, but all I needed. very close to the eiffel tower and it was $30/night

I was there in October 2015 and stayed in a similar room. It was in Place d' Italie and cost $95/night. It was one of the few rooms in the city under $100/night, and I booked it months in advance.

Funny how I had to book a hotel room on the outskirts of Madison, WI last June and everything in that cluster was $180+/night. Just booked really nice rooms/apartments in Krakow/Budapest/Vienna/Prague for half that price or less. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hotel costs are like half of the reason I go camping so often. It's the only affordable way to travel.