Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Muir posted:

Very rogue trader, I love it! If you wanted to use them for something I could imagine proxying them for a Kill Team, say the Elucidan Starstriders.

Or a crew for 5 Parsecs from Home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Prius_Roadrage posted:

What can I do to bring this banner to the next level? I know I need to go back over some of the top layer to even out the color, but other than some dinge on the bottom layer near the tear I can't think of what to do next. (Ignore the lanterns, those aren't done yet)

Also, here are my last two war dogs fully built. I just wanted to show them off.

If you want things you can do to make it next level:

Texture to the flag, pick what kind of material you want it to look like and then go with it. It can be coarse weave like burlap, a smoother cloth or a mottled matte worn leather.

The little green candles can be brightened up a bit. You can also add some light OSL to the surrounding bits.

The bones are also flat looking. You can add some texture or add yellowing or even some char depending on the look you want.

Basically you can add texture to almost everything even the metal bits. That'll push it to the next level.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I finished this up to enter in Atomic Mass Game's "The Worthy" competition at Adepitcon this year:

Then after sitting on the runway for 2+ hours, they cancelled my flight and now I can't get there until after the entry deadline.

D'oh.

At least I have an entry for next year I guess?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love that diorama

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Went back and tried for a better pic

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1638985282614620160

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Lumpy posted:

I finished this up to enter in Atomic Mass Game's "The Worthy" competition at Adepitcon this year:

Then after sitting on the runway for 2+ hours, they cancelled my flight and now I can't get there until after the entry deadline.

D'oh.

:captainpop: :captainpop: That diorama is incredible. How long did it take? What methods did you use for basing/painting?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Posigniat posted:

:captainpop: :captainpop: That diorama is incredible. How long did it take? What methods did you use for basing/painting?

The model is done w/ oil paints. I primed it white, took a picture of it w/ the lighting I wanted for reference, then covered it with dark blue in the shadows, dark brown on the light bits, waited ~20 mins, then wiped off the surface. After that it was just add lots of weird colors (lots of green , purple, and almost red brown) all over the place, and putting magenta in where blood would be near the skin surface, then painting on top of that & blending a ton, which is so easy with oils. Then I just fussed with it for a long time. Total time was probably 20 hours or so? It was 90% of the way there in like 6 hours, but I can't stop myself from tweaking. The down side of oils is that it is sooooo easy to just keep going.

The base is a piece of green insulation foam. I cut that chunk out for street level. I used a piece of scrap wood to make the curbs and cut in a little channel for them & liquid nails-ed it in place. The manhole cover is 3d printed from a freebie from Thingverse, the little grate / holder I made myself in Blender and 3d printed. I just traced the outsides on the foam and dug out holes for them to fit in. I then traced his feet on a piece of paper, drew where the broken pieces would be around them, then transferred that over to the cut-off foam from the street (which I thinned down a bunch) and cut out the chunks of concrete. Then I dug out the whole shape and glued in the chunks and a couple magnets (so I can pull the model off and play w/ it =) I put in the cracks with the tip of a .03mm pencil. I filled in any holes in the sides with wood filler, let that dry then sanded it. I sealed it all w/ mod-podge, then primed it and did a rough color sketch with acrylics, then oils on top. I honestly wound up painting the base like 4 times; I didn't like it, went too far in another direction, brought it back again, then changed it once more. Then I used a hair dryer to speed up curing the oils, and bubbled the paint on one of the sides, so I had to cut them out, re-fill, re-sand, etc. =P Then I glued it down on a piece of scrap Cherry to give it a little bit of weight. Base probably took like 30 hours to build and paint, mainly because I kept screwing up.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lumpy posted:

D'oh.

Holy loving poo poo.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Lumpy posted:

The model is done w/ oil paints. I primed it white, took a picture of it w/ the lighting I wanted for reference, then covered it with dark blue in the shadows, dark brown on the light bits, waited ~20 mins, then wiped off the surface. After that it was just add lots of weird colors (lots of green , purple, and almost red brown) all over the place, and putting magenta in where blood would be near the skin surface, then painting on top of that & blending a ton, which is so easy with oils. Then I just fussed with it for a long time. Total time was probably 20 hours or so? It was 90% of the way there in like 6 hours, but I can't stop myself from tweaking. The down side of oils is that it is sooooo easy to just keep going.

The base is a piece of green insulation foam. I cut that chunk out for street level. I used a piece of scrap wood to make the curbs and cut in a little channel for them & liquid nails-ed it in place. The manhole cover is 3d printed from a freebie from Thingverse, the little grate / holder I made myself in Blender and 3d printed. I just traced the outsides on the foam and dug out holes for them to fit in. I then traced his feet on a piece of paper, drew where the broken pieces would be around them, then transferred that over to the cut-off foam from the street (which I thinned down a bunch) and cut out the chunks of concrete. Then I dug out the whole shape and glued in the chunks and a couple magnets (so I can pull the model off and play w/ it =) I put in the cracks with the tip of a .03mm pencil. I filled in any holes in the sides with wood filler, let that dry then sanded it. I sealed it all w/ mod-podge, then primed it and did a rough color sketch with acrylics, then oils on top. I honestly wound up painting the base like 4 times; I didn't like it, went too far in another direction, brought it back again, then changed it once more. Then I used a hair dryer to speed up curing the oils, and bubbled the paint on one of the sides, so I had to cut them out, re-fill, re-sand, etc. =P Then I glued it down on a piece of scrap Cherry to give it a little bit of weight. Base probably took like 30 hours to build and paint, mainly because I kept screwing up.

That is some true talent my man, looks awesome, feels dynamic and the whole thing came together so well. I'm very impressed and if you don't place I'll riot.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Posigniat posted:

That is some true talent my man, looks awesome, feels dynamic and the whole thing came together so well. I'm very impressed and if you don't place I'll riot.

Given that my flight cancellation means there is 0% chance I make it there by the entry deadline, I kindly request you not riot. A friend of a friend is at the venue, and he's going to their booth to plead my case, so fingers crossed!

EDIT: After he talked to them, they are letting me enter! Hooray for them being understanding.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 24, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

D'oh.

Jesus Christ, can you at least give us some warning if you touch down again with us mere mortals

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's an excellent diorama, good luck to you!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Lumpy posted:

Given that my flight cancellation means there is 0% chance I make it there by the entry deadline, I kindly request you not riot. A friend of a friend is at the venue, and he's going to their booth to plead my case, so fingers crossed!

EDIT: After he talked to them, they are letting me enter! Hooray for them being understanding.

Oh, thank god for that. Good luck, and look forward to hearing about you winning.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
I have an Eldar Wraithknight that has some static grass glued to the base of it - I wound up priming over it, but on reflection, I'd like it off there. I'm pretty sure that it's superglued to the base. Anybody know of a chemical that would loosen the superglue so that the grass can be scraped off?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I have an Eldar Wraithknight that has some static grass glued to the base of it - I wound up priming over it, but on reflection, I'd like it off there. I'm pretty sure that it's superglued to the base. Anybody know of a chemical that would loosen the superglue so that the grass can be scraped off?

Acetone (nail polish remover) is pretty good at it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Jesus Christ, can you at least give us some warning if you touch down again with us mere mortals

Honestly, and this takes absolutely nothing away from them, oils can actually be easy mode for blend-heavy styles. It’s the color theory, and brush control that push it to elite, and the “was probably done at 6 hours, fiddled with it for 20” that pushed outside of mortal realms.

So there you go. A blueprint to get there if you want it.

My problem is I get this far:

And have to leave it alone long enough that the paint is dry by the time I get back to it.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Does the Vallejo white spray can suck or do I? The last couple times I've used it the coverage has been less than ideal but I haven't painted anything in over a decade so I could just be bad. Might pick up a gw white rattle can just to test it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I need a beer keg squirrel irl

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

On the topic of that Worthy model, who here has experience entering those kinds of painting competitions? I want to try it later this year... I don't expect to win anything of course but I feel like I could catch a vote or two.

What do you get out of it as a painter who won't win, other than having your poo poo in the case for a few days?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lumpy posted:

D'oh.

Fully sick. You've got some lovely colors in there.

TheLawinator posted:

Does the Vallejo white spray can suck or do I? The last couple times I've used it the coverage has been less than ideal but I haven't painted anything in over a decade so I could just be bad. Might pick up a gw white rattle can just to test it.

Everyone's mileage is different, but I have yet to find a white spray can that doesn't suck of any brand. If you're dead set on spray paint, get some Rustoleum auto primer and use thin coats.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Jonny Nox posted:

Honestly, and this takes absolutely nothing away from them, oils can actually be easy mode for blend-heavy styles. It’s the color theory, and brush control that push it to elite, and the “was probably done at 6 hours, fiddled with it for 20” that pushed outside of mortal realms.

So there you go. A blueprint to get there if you want it.

My problem is I get this far:

And have to leave it alone long enough that the paint is dry by the time I get back to it.

I've had this sitting in lycheeslicer waiting for a printer to free up. Such a nice model, so far so good!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Under 15 posted:

On the topic of that Worthy model, who here has experience entering those kinds of painting competitions? I want to try it later this year... I don't expect to win anything of course but I feel like I could catch a vote or two.

What do you get out of it as a painter who won't win, other than having your poo poo in the case for a few days?

It's a good excuse to push yourself and try something you normally wouldn't. I didn't really learn how to highlight properly until I started participating in the little painting contests at my LGS because I wouldn't have tried new stuff for any of my game pieces.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Not sure what would be a good eye/optics colour against the purple. Maybe I should switch to yellow?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not sure what would be a good eye/optics colour against the purple. Maybe I should switch to yellow?

Yellow or yellow green, probably, those are the opposite side of the color wheel to the nearby color of the armor. eyes are going to be hard to stand out at tabletop level tho

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that the new contrast purple?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone know what size tubing is needed for creating a marines bolter barrel?

I'm thinking about brass tubing, but is styrene tubing a viable alternative?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Under 15 posted:

I'm a really poo poo painter, but I entered a model into the Salute competition last year (big London wargame convention if you don't know of it). It was the first time I'd ever entered a painting competition

It got me to:

-paint a bust for the first time
-finally assemble and paint the bust that had been lying around for years
-make a proper plan, with timings, for a model
-actually make the effort to find time to paint, especially in the last 2 weeks
-try and up my game a bit

And it was a great, nerve wracking experience - standing in the queue next to Golden Demon winners / placers (they have wee plaques on their cases), waiting to hand my model over

And seeing it in the big glass case, on display next to all the amazing models, is a great feeling

And now I've done it - if / when I get better and want to seriously enter something, I should be less nervous having this experience under my belt

Do it!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bucnasti posted:

Is that the new contrast purple?

Leviathan Purple, not sure if it's new.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Under 15 posted:

The main reason for me to enter is to get feedback. Many judges are very happy to provide pointers on what you can focus on to improve. However, it does kinda sometimes feel that you enter competitions to get better at competitions - learning what judges like, how to present your stuff well, etc to win the next one.

There's also the social aspect. If you're a hermit painter, going to comps is the one place where you'll see what other people are doing, and get to chat for days about random painting poo poo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Radiation Cow posted:

The main reason for me to enter is to get feedback. Many judges are very happy to provide pointers on what you can focus on to improve. However, it does kinda sometimes feel that you enter competitions to get better at competitions - learning what judges like, how to present your stuff well, etc to win the next one.

There's also the social aspect. If you're a hermit painter, going to comps is the one place where you'll see what other people are doing, and get to chat for days about random painting poo poo.

Pretty much this. A lot of painting competitions award things on an individual basis rather than "first, second, third", as well, so it can be a way to measure your own progress when you go from a card of tips to getting a bronze... and a card of tips.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Prius_Roadrage posted:

What can I do to bring this banner to the next level? I know I need to go back over some of the top layer to even out the color, but other than some dinge on the bottom layer near the tear I can't think of what to do next. (Ignore the lanterns, those aren't done yet)

Also, here are my last two war dogs fully built. I just wanted to show them off.

"I said I want a giant rowbot not robot"

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
A friend and I are starting a campaign of Peter Pig's AK-47 ruleset. Rather than use 15MM miniatures we decided to use GHQ's micro armor range. I went for a colonial power army with idea of the French Foreign Legion in Mali around 2014. This is the test piece for the army a Panhard VBL, penny for scale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the first in a 3 man sub-squad of Deathwatch Aggressors seconded from rear end in a top hat Chapters today.

This one is from the Marines Malevolent:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Base says Battletech, scheme says Gundam, specifically the Jegan. Cool robit either way

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Xpost from 40k thread

Nazzadan posted:

Group photo with his fellow HQ units

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Serperoth posted:

Base says Battletech, scheme says Gundam, specifically the Jegan. Cool robit either way

Didn't even know the Jegan was a thing (It's a Phoenix Hawk) - and thanks! :)

Working on adapting that two-colour scheme as my Ice Hellions look. Sky Blue/Olive Green with different patterns being different Lances/units.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Finished the first in a 3 man sub-squad of Deathwatch Aggressors seconded from rear end in a top hat Chapters today.

Loving the highlights on those curved surfaces.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
TIL that Vince V is like 6’1” and looks about 10 years younger in person.

Also, the golden demon entries are all outstanding and my plan to enter just got a few more years tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AndyElusive posted:

This is rad, and also he's Classic Doomguy, right?