Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ken Rockwell is one of the internet’s longest lived trolls

He is an artist

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

:yikes:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

I guess I understated the boomer brain part :yikes:

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Hi thread. I'm looking for a DSLR or mirrorless for photographing artwork up to 24" x 48" for printing. It would also be cool if it could do 4K (edit: or 1080 HDR; is that a thing?) video, but I'm not seeing a lot of options for that with high megapixel count.

It would also be great if the wireless connectivity to get the photos / videos off didn't suck, but I have little hope for that after previously owning a Canon M50, Panasonic G6, and seeing on the previous page that it still a problem in TYOOL 2023. Nikon's looks fine, but :shrug:

TVGM fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TVGM posted:

Hi thread. I'm looking for a DSLR or mirrorless for photographing artwork up to 24" x 48" for printing. It would also be cool if it could do 4K (edit: or 1080 HDR; is that a thing?) video, but I'm not seeing a lot of options for that with high megapixel count.

It would also be great if the wireless connectivity to get the photos / videos off didn't suck, but I have little hope for that after previously owning a Canon M50, Panasonic G6, and seeing on the previous page that it still a problem in TYOOL 2023. Nikon's looks fine, but :shrug:

Fuji XH2. Wireless for file transfer is OK.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'll use KR for some obscure technical nerd data point. For subjective photography thoughts, hard pass.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

torgeaux posted:

Fuji XH2. Wireless for file transfer is OK.

Thank you, that Pixel Shift mode looks like exactly what I need.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I haven't read him lately but I liked when Ken Rockwell would say things like "the Nikon D40 takes better pictures than my D3S!" and subsequently ridiculous comparisons with every entry level Nikon DSLR.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker
https://m.dpreview.com/news/5901145460/dpreview-com-to-close

This sucks. I just found this site yesterday while doing my camera research and found them to be incredibly helpful.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
We should invite them to post here, we could create a forum for camera gear reviews.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

not surprised, the website operated as an extension of amazon's advertising department since it was purchased. the reviews are much shorter, and more videos that no one asked for

oh well

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
e: beaten

quote:

This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier this year.

quote:

DPReview.com is a wholly-owned, editorially independent subsidiary of Amazon.com

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That sucks. 25 years of history as a publication ended because Amazon wanted to make a number bigger. I can’t imagine staff and hosting costs are much more than a rounding error for them, so doing this is just an easy way to cut headcount.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

not surprised, the website operated as an extension of amazon's advertising department since it was purchased. the reviews are much shorter, and more videos that no one asked for

oh well

take that back Chris and Jordan are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLikDUacsC8

The amazon links didn't really bother me that much, the actual text reviews did go down the drain quite a bit. Still this is pretty said, it was by far the best resource I've come across.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

harperdc posted:

That sucks. 25 years of history as a publication ended because Amazon wanted to make a number bigger. I can’t imagine staff and hosting costs are much more than a rounding error for them, so doing this is just an easy way to cut headcount.

The company (like most companies right now) is posting constant/record revenue growth too. This has nothing to do with the health of the company despite the promises how difficult these times are.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Friendship ended with DPReview. PetaPixel is new best friend.

https://youtu.be/f6T3qWI2c-Y

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 21, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mobby_6kl posted:

take that back Chris and Jordan are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLikDUacsC8

The amazon links didn't really bother me that much, the actual text reviews did go down the drain quite a bit. Still this is pretty said, it was by far the best resource I've come across.

Holy poo poo, I’ve watched their videos so many times, but not really connected them with the site, whose forums were always one of the first results when researching some random old analog camera I came across. Can’t believe Amazon wouldn’t release the site to someone else to keep it online. IIRC, Dpreview has been around since like 1999, that’s a lot of history and context lost.

Also, Amazon should have shut down k rocks site instead

frogbs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 22, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

The company (like most companies right now) is posting constant/record revenue growth too. This has nothing to do with the health of the company despite the promises how difficult these times are.

Oh sure but it’s not posting enough earnings, surely!!! Surely they can get bigger!!!

Not allowing the content to exist in an archive state or the site to be sold elsewhere means they’re trying to write it down, which is like a millionaire trying to make sure the checkout person saw their coupon for 5% off toilet paper. It’s ridiculous.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

waffle enthusiast posted:

Friendship ended with DPReview. PetaPixel is new best friend.

https://youtu.be/f6T3qWI2c-Y

Ehhhh petspixels site looks pretty poor quality, but I suppose I can sub to their channel if the quality of video reviews stays the same.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of my colleagues at work today randomly approached me and was like, "I was going to give this to Goodwill, but I thought maybe you and your students could use it!" She hands me a couple of bags. What's inside? A Canon 30D (cool, but my workhorse tools are 7D's), a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens (cool, always useful), an elderly Canon Speedlite (cool, the newer mirrorless tech doesn't come with built in flash, I wonder if it works with that stuff), and... a 24-105mm f/4 IS L USM lens. That's a legit loving piece of glass. We mostly use a variety of 50mm primes, 18-55mm kit lenses, 24-105mm RF F/4-7.1 on our newer tech, 70-200mm F/4 IS L USM for sports. This is a real addition to the collection, might even become one of the most used lenses in the collection.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am a first year yearbook advisor and they are giving me a photojournalism class for next year. We currently have a Canon EOS 60D (no one knows when the camera was purchased though) but I am working towards getting a couple of new cameras.

I am trying to get the best quality within my price range. Price range is $400-$800 including a lens. So far, I am leaning towards a Canon EOS 2000D with this bundle of accessories. Am I on the right path? They have a $400 version of the same bundle but without the larger lens. I am hoping to convince the admin that I need both but just have one of the larger lens to share between the cameras.

Cannon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Zoom Lens + 75-300mm Lens Kit | 24.1 Megapixels CMOS | HD Video + Wide Angle Lens + Telephoto Lens, 128GB Memory, 3PC Filter Kit, Tripod + More (35PC Bundle) https://a.co/d/dyP6mea

https://i.imgur.com/yf2sIUF.jpg

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Back when I was first starting up, I bought almost the same kit, although it was a Rebel T6. Today, if I had 800 bucks, I’d try to get a used 7D, a 70-200mm F/4 lens (the cheap non stabilized one), and a 50mm prime lens. Or a new R50 when they’re available. A Rebel is kind of the worst of all worlds, it’s a newer camera using old tech.

With the kit, you’re spending a lot on random stuff that you won’t really use, like all of the filters and doodads.

Concerns with Rebels would primarily be that they’re fragile and plastic, plus they aren’t really weather sealed. They’re a bit clunky for changing settings too, with just the one wheel, but that isn’t necessarily bad for students (forcing them to engage with the settings menus). Concerns with a 7D is that it’s old as gently caress. Concerns with an R50 would be that you wouldn’t have any money for any lenses beyond the kit lens.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Do you have to buy new? If so you won’t get much more beyond kits like that for $800 max. Seems like $1,000 is the new entry point which makes sense given time and inflation. I bought my Nikon D40 and 18-55 kit for $600 in 2007.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I cannot see the administration being willing to spend money on a used camera for that price. :(

In fact, I was talking to the admin about getting a second camera (just the main body) and I was pretty much told that the only way that would happen is if I buy it from year book funds (which we have nothing from paying for yearbook) or if I bought it myself (which I am trying to avoid as much as possible).

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Random related story: back in like 2011 my friend worked at a high school that had Nikon D60 bodies but also a 200mm F2 that someone donated. Helluva combo to put $6,000 thicc lens on a $300 tiny body.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
What kind of lens do you have for the 60D? What’s your biggest area of need? Just another camera to get into student hands for general use, or are you looking at equipment suited for certain tasks (sports, portraits, etc)?

Also not sure where you’re located, but if having a brick and mortar store to purchase used equipment from would make for an easier sell, the local camera shop near me has a few used bodies (plus free shipping and the ability to take purchase orders from the school): https://competitivecameras.com/used-gear

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 23, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
whoops wrong thread

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 24, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We have a Canon EF-S 18-135 mm lens with autofocus.

We will be using it in yearbook for not only sports (indoor and outdoor), some portraits (seniors that cannot afford a senior style photo, the yearbook will take one for them), and some candid photos during events (but I will be honest that I am trying to get my students free pass to have their phones available during the day to take those photos).

In the photojournalism side, we will have to use our phone cameras for much (since we will only have 2 possible cameras for 22 students) but I want to show them how to take portraits, nature shots, action shots, etc. We will learn about photo editing as well as how to write a story or caption for the photo.

I will be honest. I am building this class from scratch and I will spend all summer long learning the ins and outs of photography. My main goals are 1) build a good yearbook with great images (which is what my admin will “grade” my class on) and 2) have 20+ kids leave my class knowing more about photography and hopefully loving the entire idea of it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Unrelated to the camera equipment, but a Journalism Education Association membership is like 40 bucks for a year and they’ve got hundreds of premade lesson plans with handouts and presentations available on their website. If you need a curriculum, that’s probably the most complete one available. They’ve got materials for both yearbook programs and photojournalism classes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone else pull off their lens rubbers and scrub them down good with hot water, soap and a toothbrush? Sometimes its the best way to get grime out without spending an eternity cleaning it attached to the lens.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://a.co/d/9gkNZUN
Manfrotto 290 Xtra Aluminum 3-Section Tripod Kit with Ball Head (MK290XTA3-BHUS) & Quick Release Plate with Special Adapter (200PL)

Will I regret buying this for basic portrait photography with a DSLR? I'm not looking for top of the line necessarily but I'd like to not have to upgrade in a year either

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

big black turnout posted:

https://a.co/d/9gkNZUN
Manfrotto 290 Xtra Aluminum 3-Section Tripod Kit with Ball Head (MK290XTA3-BHUS) & Quick Release Plate with Special Adapter (200PL)

Will I regret buying this for basic portrait photography with a DSLR? I'm not looking for top of the line necessarily but I'd like to not have to upgrade in a year either

How tall are you? 5'7" isn't very tall for its max height. Also, is the max height achieved with the center column? That's the least stable configuration.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
drat you're right I somehow missed that. I think it is fully extended. I'm 5'11".

I'm also open to any suggestions at all

e: why do none of them actually say whether or not it includes the center column being cranked up this is incredibly annoying

e2: ok yes that is with the center column all the way up

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 26, 2023

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We have a Canon EF-S 18-135 mm lens with autofocus.

We will be using it in yearbook for not only sports (indoor and outdoor), some portraits (seniors that cannot afford a senior style photo, the yearbook will take one for them), and some candid photos during events (but I will be honest that I am trying to get my students free pass to have their phones available during the day to take those photos).

In the photojournalism side, we will have to use our phone cameras for much (since we will only have 2 possible cameras for 22 students) but I want to show them how to take portraits, nature shots, action shots, etc. We will learn about photo editing as well as how to write a story or caption for the photo.

I will be honest. I am building this class from scratch and I will spend all summer long learning the ins and outs of photography. My main goals are 1) build a good yearbook with great images (which is what my admin will “grade” my class on) and 2) have 20+ kids leave my class knowing more about photography and hopefully loving the entire idea of it.
On the phone camera and learning photography side of things, as far as learning photography goes there's apps that can give some level of manual control. Clunky vs a real camera with physical controls, but it's at least a way for the students to learn and experiment a bit on their own vs seeing examples or waiting to get to play with one of the two cameras you have available.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

big black turnout posted:

drat you're right I somehow missed that. I think it is fully extended. I'm 5'11".

I'm also open to any suggestions at all

e: why do none of them actually say whether or not it includes the center column being cranked up this is incredibly annoying

e2: ok yes that is with the center column all the way up

Find the manufacturer page instead of the amazon page if you can I'm 5'8" so that would be fine for me with the camera height added, but you would hate it. My tripod is that height before figuring in center column, and that's what I'd shoot for for your height, something at least 5'8" pre-column.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
KEH is running a “up to 15% off” sale on overstock items, but the few things I’ve looked at are only 2-4% off. I’m not sure about this strategy to move merch when they are already more expensive than many other used gear shops.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what other used gear shops are there? i just know of mpb, adorama, b&h, ebay, and goodwill. of those, keh is more expensive than mpb, cheaper than b&h and adorama, and a different _thing_ from having to mess with ebay/goodwill

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I forget what it's called but BorrowLenses has a sales company for their used gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
KEH is great when it works. I use it to get small replacement accessories mostly like original lens caps, hoods, straps. I just got an Olympus DSLR for $10 as-is but as far as I can tell its fully functional.