Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nohearum posted:

FYI: the devil (specialized) has a bunch of tires for sale for $26 on their ebay page if anyone's looking for new rubber.
https://www.ebay.com/str/specializedoutletstore/Bicycle-Tires-Tubes-Wheels/_i.html?_sacat=185023

I've never had spesh tires. What's recommend for trail/xc riding? I've been pretty happy with my bontrager xr4 f/r but I'm planning to drop down to xr3 for my rear soon for better rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never had spesh tires. What's recommend for trail/xc riding? I've been pretty happy with my bontrager xr4 f/r but I'm planning to drop down to xr3 for my rear soon for better rolling.

Here's some spesh R/F combos I'm familiar with for trail type riding (less grippy to more grippy):
  • Ground Control (not on ebay but can find for 40ish elsewhere)/Purgatory
  • Purgatory/Purgatory
  • Purgatory/Eliminator

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
I got a new bike, my first FS, this winter, a Marin Rift Zone. I dont have a ton of time on it yet, but im having trouble with sore hands. Unfortunatly, theres alot of factors at play, so im not sure where to start with trying to narrow it down. Its vastly different than my previous everyday bike, which is a hardtail fatbike with a bluto. Its almost exactly opposite geometry wise, with a short reach and very long chainstays, slacker seat tube. It has a 720mm carbon bar compared to the 750 alu one on the Marin and different grips. Ive got the bar height and roll as close as i can.

So any ideas of where i should start to try to rectify this? I can try swapping the grips, thats free. Maybe its just something i need to get used to, but im not sure because im feeling pretty comfortable on the new bike otherwise. I could try running the fork a little softer, but it feels okay i think, sag is correct and compression is open. Anyway, any ideas are appreciated.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you getting like numbness or where is the pain? Do you feel like your weight is resting on your hands quite a lot?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

VelociBacon posted:

Are you getting like numbness or where is the pain? Do you feel like your weight is resting on your hands quite a lot?

these are good questions and need answers but also

POST THE BARS POST THE BARS

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

no numbness, sore and fatigued across the palms. I do feel more weight on my hands, but it kinda feels like there needs to be to weight the front wheel. It feels like this bike i need to muscle around the front end, and the back happily follows, where as my fatbike feels like the front wheel is just point and shoot and i have to work hard with my legs and hips to make the back end do what i need it to.

as far as posting the bars, theyre just alu marin branded bars, 28mm rise, 780 wide cut to 750, 5 degrees up 9 degrees back. Theyre setup in a pretty similar position to my other bikes, and it feels pretty much fine, so im not sure where the soreness is coming from. I can get some pics later, but there isnt much to see, like nothing about the cockpit setup is radically different than my other bikes, other than being wider.

Torbo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 25, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Torbo posted:

no numbness, sore and fatigued across the palms. I do feel more weight on my hands, but it kinda feels like there needs to be to weight the front wheel. It feels like this bike i need to muscle around the front end, and the back happily follows, where as my fatbike feels like the front wheel is just point and shoot and i have to work hard with my legs and hips to make the back end do what i need it to.

as far as posting the bars, theyre just alu marin branded bars, 28mm rise, 780 wide cut to 750, 5 degrees up 9 degrees back. Theyre setup in a pretty similar position to my other bikes, and it feels pretty much fine, so im not sure where the soreness is coming from. I can get some pics later, but there isnt much to see, like nothing about the cockpit setup is radically different than my other bikes, other than being wider.

Definitely put some grips on that you know are fine for you. Or if you don't have any that you know about, try ODI rogues. I run OURY grips which are slip on and super plush.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Where does everyone place their foot? I noticed on a road bike the ball of my foot ends up centered on the pedal, but on mtb it feels normal to have the middle of my foot centered on the pedal. Using flat pedals on both

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

brand engager posted:

Where does everyone place their foot? I noticed on a road bike the ball of my foot ends up centered on the pedal, but on mtb it feels normal to have the middle of my foot centered on the pedal. Using flat pedals on both

middle of the foot for me too. I never really thought about it till i tried clips, where it felt like i was pedaling with my tippy toes, even with the cleats as far back as possible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

brand engager posted:

This is about typical I think.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Torbo posted:

What’s the diameter on the bars? 35mm bars can definitely be more harsh than 31.8mm bars. Suspension setup can contribute to arm pump and soreness as well.

But I meant Velocibacon’s bars. 👀

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

What’s the diameter on the bars? 35mm bars can definitely be more harsh than 31.8mm bars. Suspension setup can contribute to arm pump and soreness as well.

They aren't on-bike yet.... I had to replace my stem to get them to fit since the knuckles on the bars are too big to slide the DM RF Atlas stems onto....

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

This is about typical I think.

I think so. I put mine too far forward on the ball of my foot and then you can't really get your heels down easily unless you are much more bendy than I am.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's come up in the thread before but I'm so duckfooted that my rear (right) foot hangs off the pedal a good amount and my foot points way off into space

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Right in the middle of the foot feels gross to me and lacking control. Just behind the ball of the foot is the sweet spot for me for control and pedaling power

Also re: sore hands also make sure you’re relaxing and not death gripping the bars? Maybe that’s not the issue but it’s something I still remind myself of constantly

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm definitely a ball over spindle rider. I get that same feeling as Levitate if my foot slips and ends up centered on the pedal.

I feel like my ankles are pretty flexible though and it helps me drop my heels lower and have a little more shock absorption in my legs.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just got back from a suspension setup day. We're unbelievably fortunate where we live to ride with a group who is sponsored by local businesses, one being a small suspension servicing company whose owner is also on the downhill world cup circuit as a suspension expert.

Having properly set up suspension is almost like having a new bike. Mine was pretty close beforehand but even just a few small tweaks make a night and day difference to grip and control. If anyone has the ability to get your suspension set up by professionals I cannot recommend it enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you wind up with your feet pretty far forward on the pedals it could be that the saddle is too low.

Also, if your hands are hurting it could also be a saddle positioning thing. Like if it's angled down and you have to support yourself with your hands to not slide off. Or too far of a reach. Or saddle too far forward can also do that although that is kind of the trend with modern mtb geometry. Steep seat tubes are nice for climbing but on flatter and rolling terrain you might notice some extra weight on your hands. I saw one of the guys on the orbea team at cape epic had a huge saddle offset on his new oiz which has a 76.5deg listed sta.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 26, 2023

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

Levitate posted:

Also re: sore hands also make sure you’re relaxing and not death gripping the bars? Maybe that’s not the issue but it’s something I still remind myself of constantly

theyre 31.8. i dont think im deathgripping, and not really having arm pump. This is just in my local xc riding, no long descents or anything, which is part of why im keen to solve it. I know if im having sore hands on my home trails, its gonna be real bad at the bike park or anywhere with more sustained descending

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Hey everyone, i'm moving soon to somewhere where temps are below freezing for half the year. What should I do about tubeless sealant there? Are below-freezing temps an issue?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

meltie posted:

Hey everyone, i'm moving soon to somewhere where temps are below freezing for half the year. What should I do about tubeless sealant there? Are below-freezing temps an issue?

Buy a skibike

E; INTEREST CHECK!

I'm considering buying a van and starting a mobile skibike rental service next winter. How many MTB goons live near a ski area that allows them (map here: https://americanskibike.com/ride-1) and would be interested in rentals/lessons/letting me crash on your couch?

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

meltie posted:

How cold?

Orange Seal says the range for their various sealants are:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How cold?

Orange Seal says the range for their various sealants are:

Northern Norway; from -5ºC down to -20ºC for a few months in midwinter.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What does your LBS charge for shift cable housing? $3.50/ft is ridiculous, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nohearum posted:

What does your LBS charge for shift cable housing? $3.50/ft is ridiculous, right?

Is that ... with replacement labor?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nohearum posted:

That's about what I'd expect.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Double posting. Anyone interested in doing the BC Cup DH at Big White? June 30-July 2. It's not a terribly technical track it looks like, should be fun. I know some of you are in BC.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nohearum posted:

Doesn't sound terrible, you probably don't need that much of it total.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I got it for free with the grease and cable I bought last year but I have spent :homebrew: at that shop already

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Suburban Dad posted:

Doesn't sound terrible, you probably don't need that much of it total.

Nah thats ridiculous if it doesn't include installation and the cable itself.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
That was just for the housing. Been a few years since I had to buy any so appreciate the feedback Will check a few other shops.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's ridiculous but also about what I'd expect

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Nohearum posted:

i think ive generally paid about 5 dollars for however much i need, or its usually free if im buying a cable.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Nohearum posted:

That was just for the housing. Been a few years since I had to buy any so appreciate the feedback Will check a few other shops.

was that a listed price, or did you walk up to a bike mechanic who was like "i- uh, pffft.. $3.50 per foot"

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Mechanic seemed pretty confident in that number. After calling around a few more shops the cheapest I've been able to find is $2/ft.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bike shops are all barely surviving from what I gather, I think they basically need to charge that much for stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LOL my shop could charge $5 per foot I wouldn't give a fuuuuuuck. It's a 10mn walk from my house so drop bikes off for literally everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

First ride of the season for me was yesterday. I literally haven't ridden since spwrozek visited and got my rear end outside 8? months ago. I've been battling neck and shoulder pain whenever I ride forever which I found was a pinched nerve in my neck and have done a lot of PT and other junk to try and fix in the off season. The ride yesterday was mostly pain free so I'm hopeful with more strengthening and stretching I'll be good for this season to get more miles in. :unsmith:

New bike is almost built, the wheels should arrive this week so I can finally slap them on and start trying to tune the suspension and wrap up a billion other little things.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

First ride of the season for me was yesterday. I literally haven't ridden since spwrozek visited and got my rear end outside 8? months ago. I've been battling neck and shoulder pain whenever I ride forever which I found was a pinched nerve in my neck and have done a lot of PT and other junk to try and fix in the off season. The ride yesterday was mostly pain free so I'm hopeful with more strengthening and stretching I'll be good for this season to get more miles in. :unsmith:

New bike is almost built, the wheels should arrive this week so I can finally slap them on and start trying to tune the suspension and wrap up a billion other little things.

Great username/post combo. I feel for you, been dealing with some chronic pain that tends to flare up in January/February. I got a steroid injection a few weeks ago and I finally got a couple rides in without having much/any pain.

If you took everything that I get out of riding a bike into a pill, it would be the most prescribed drug in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nocheez posted:

If you took everything that I get out of riding a bike into a pill, it would be the most prescribed drug in history.

The first drug that it's expected that you crush it and rail lines

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm getting mine out of storage this weekend, holler at me once you're set up and let's hit Maybury or Pontiac Lake or something, whatever it is, don't care, need a hit of bikedrugs