Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

last week somebody drove the wrong way across the bridge that connects to downtown and murdered an oncoming driver and their passenger.

and now I'm seeing folks hypothesize about how the lack of signs caused this.

Didnt they confirm the offending driver was drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speaking of transport and climate change, here in the US the transport sector is the single largest source of carbon emissions and 83 percent of that is cars and trucks. maybe we should drive less.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lobster shirt posted:

speaking of transport and climate change, here in the US the transport sector is the single largest source of carbon emissions and 83 percent of that is cars and trucks. maybe we should drive less.

first you complain about cars but every time we run trains you complain when they derail 4000 times per year. make up your mind.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would never complain about a train

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a train derailed and blew up my town. but i never hated trains. i said, thank you for your service.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Epic High Five posted:

Someone should make a we love bikes thread. I'm not bitching or anything so don't take it that way, because cars getting owned are still getting posted, but it's clearly something people want to talk about

there are lots of bike threads, all of them pretty active, come complain about bad bike posing and share your heart rate and FTPs, and how you hit 20% grades on your commute

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903202

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933901

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933900

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933908

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933885

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

e.pilot has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Mar 25, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

teethgrinder posted:

My problems with fenders are basically that it's tough to find ones that clear racks and/or winter tires. I finally have a rack + fender setup but it took a while to find a set that worked.
That's not a fender problem, that's a frame problem. So many manufacturers have such a weird thing where they hate having sufficient frame clearance. Surly frames are good at avoiding this.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean as far as the US goes, really almost nothing is getting better transit wise so there isn’t really too much to talk about beyond a light rail extension here or a fake brt line there. The US really doesn’t give a single gently caress.

Supposedly Montreal is doing a big expansion though and Toronto is seeing some improvement.

Then you got the rest of the world that has moved or is moving in a different direction.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In Toronto there was a recent police blitz to tackle (in some cases, literally) cyclists speeding in High Park. Someone went and bought their own speed radar and came to the conclusion that not only do cars routinely travel at about twice the speed limit, not a single one got even close to respecting it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
<breathes vinyl chloride> Still love the train.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've barely driven my car for the last few years, and of course it has basically fallen apart in the meantime even though nothing was happening to it. Window mechanisms break in two places. Battery dies. A/C isn't running. Hood won't close anymore. Nail in the tire. Wtf

It's costing me hundreds of dollars to fix even though I'm doing as many of the repairs myself as I can.

I hate cars

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
sell ur car then

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't get around this town without a car. I can commute to work without it though, so I don't need it most days. Cars have gotten so expensive that I'd rather hang on to it just in case than have to buy one down the line.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hailthefish posted:

my local city subreddit also mostly proposes the final solution to the homeless problem

Reddit is a weird beast, if you want to have some obscure bike part identified or have some sort of rat care question answered you can post in the incredibly specific sub about that that thing and get an answer immediately with more detail than you’ll ever need. Then you’ve got the general purpose or geographic subs, which are utterly worthless.

(My local sub is also pushing the final solution to the homeless problem)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reddit is great as long as you only read incredibly niche subreddits for your interests and don't read any general purpose / default subreddits ever under any circumstances

Apr 7, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

ironically I think it's American car brain: road infrastructure is so overwhelmingly hostile to bikes that they're largely seen as a recreational activity rather than a daily mode of transportation, so the vast majority of bikes in the US are road bikes, gravel bikes, or mountain bikes, none of which typically have full fenders, as opposed to dutch style or touring bikes or other commuter-friendly designs.

like, fenders have been a feature of bicycles since the late 19th century

but it also seems to be more of a thing for American bike commuters to completely change outfits when arriving at the office or whatever
I have a gravel fun bike and I have a fender utility / commuter and I doubt I’m the only one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Who. Who was defunded. Was a single police department in this entire country hamstrung on budget. Anywhere

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

last week somebody drove the wrong way across the bridge that connects to downtown and murdered an oncoming driver and their passenger.

and now I'm seeing folks hypothesize about how the lack of signs caused this.

I would simply stop if I saw oncoming traffic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who. Who was defunded. Was a single police department in this entire country hamstrung on budget. Anywhere
It's like covid lockdowns. Whenever anyone makes a tweet criticizing the police in any way that counts as defunding.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a gravel fun bike and I have a fender utility / commuter and I doubt I’m the only one

well yeah you're in the I HATE CARS thread. I even hedged in the post you quoted saying this was "largely" the case for the "majority" of bikes/bikers in the US

anyway here's some peak transit:

https://twitter.com/FilmendeFietser/status/1639614474431651844

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

a train derailed and blew up my town. but i never hated trains. i said, thank you for your service.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Just watched a driver turn left from the rightmost lane of traffic and hit another car lol

Apr 7, 2003

I found out this morning that I've been driving around for about four months with an expired inspection sticker. Rules are fake.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

silicone thrills posted:

Didnt they confirm the offending driver was drunk?

yes. they did.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I never stay in one place too long
The dirt road's singing me a siren's song
I gotta find a field, I need to spin my wheels
I gotta hankerin' for four wide tires
And I can't help it, it's the way I'm wired
Boy, you get too close, boy, you need to know

I got a heart like a truck
It's been drug through the mud
Runs on dreams and gasoline
And that ole highway holds the key
It's got a lead foot down when it's leavin'
Lord knows it's taken a hell of a beatin'
A little bit of love is all that it's needin'
But it's good as it is tough

There ain't no brakin' when I throw it in drive
Don't always keep it in-between the lines
If you're a ready for a ride
Pedal down state of mind
Boy, I tell you what
You better buckle up

Go on and see if you can knock off the dust, yeah
Shine it up, rev it up, and let it run, yeah
It gets a high ridin' off into the sun, yeah

Go on and see if you can knock off the dust, yeah
Shine it up, rev it up, and let it run, yeah
It gets a high ridin' off into the sun, yeah
It gets a high ridin' off into the sun

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I found out this morning that I've been driving around for about four months with an expired inspection sticker. Rules are fake.

I noticed mine about 8 months in and rode out the year being very careful not to let cops get a good view of my plates. Then when I went to renew the next year they made me pay for the one I skipped anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Saw someone pull the maneuver today where they turn right so that they can do a uturn and ultimately make a left turn from where they started. Seemed like it was to avoid a panhandler. Amazing.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

biking home from work yesterday, the light turns green ahead and the driver next to me starts accelerating and just crunches right into the car in front of him, where the driver had been staring at his phone and hadn't started moving yet. not hard enough to hurt anyone, but by the sound of it definitely doing some damage to his fancy-looking car. as i roll past them and away, the guy in the front car is still holding his phone in front of his face but he's loudly groaning out his open windows about how he can't believe it, lol. "augh, you've got to be kidding me" ahahaha

just a lovely low-stakes illustration of cars and drivers. one guy is breaking the law by using his phone, another is driving forward without even noticing that the car in front of him is stationary, neither of them deserve to have licenses to operate motor vehicles. at least they just smashed each other instead of a kindergartener

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pound, Virginia abolished their police force, but not for civil rights reasons. 8 cops for a town of 1k people. They harassed anyone crossing from Kentucky to shop at a better tax rate. Business owners god fed up with the cops driving away business and voted to fire every cop.

The police chief tried to justify their actions as safety measures (lol speed trap money for cops), and also trained officers needed to keep custody of evidence secured at the police station. When the cops were all fired, the town discovered cops left evidence laying around everywhere; rifles and thousands of bullets laying around, unlocked evidence, weed growing in the police station.

Anyhow, no cops and legal weed in Pound, VA.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my village defunded it’s police and whoaaaa turns out for like $200k a year you can do a whole loving shitload of other things and every other one of our municipal institutions is insanely good for a 2,000 population place hahaha

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saw someone pull the maneuver today where they turn right so that they can do a uturn and ultimately make a left turn from where they started. Seemed like it was to avoid a panhandler. Amazing.

I saw someone do this in a car with no plates last week. just wild out there.

Apr 7, 2003

go for a stroll posted:

I noticed mine about 8 months in and rode out the year being very careful not to let cops get a good view of my plates.

PA inspection stickers are on the driver's side windshield. I'm white and have a relatively new car so I don't even have to worry about avoiding cops. what a world.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I hag never been pulled over in the west for registration. In California hrey are not supposed to either unless something else requires them to like one time they thought my spouse was drunk for driving at the speed limit

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
https://i.imgur.com/4bIEMfD.mp4

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

driving sucks so much that I was already anxious BEFORE anything actually happened

hailthefish has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Mar 27, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trains cannot fail. They can only be failed.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Backyard lifted truck kills people in unrelated car

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

hailthefish posted:

driving sucks so much that I was already anxious BEFORE anything actually happened

lmao same

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats some ai video with the prompt like yo computer make a zany crash video with the driver you are the wheel man physics enabled

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

lmaooo that the tire still roles back and hits the car again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Indeed little bird, indeed