Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Soup making the news twice in a week.

Just wish it was still in the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Don't know if Bakhmut is a totally done deal yet but Ukraine definitely managed to hang in there much longer than expected, hopefully the cost ends up being worth it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

Singularity of purpose and intent of a totalitarian government vs the desultory whims of techbros.

Those Techbros manage to work together whenever it suits their purpose so I'm not sure how big a difference that makes in the end

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the panic over "oh no a foreign government is running a social media website and slurping up info" really does feel completely misplaced when you consider the effect our own domestic social media platforms have had and the fact that the police in america are more than happy to do their own little social media following for their own fascist ends

it's a distraction to take the focus off of our actual issues. who needs to worry about all of our problems when we can point and go "china... bad!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fknlo posted:

Even if I did believe this, once again, what exactly is this hostile foreign government going to do with the data that is any worse than what the private corporations and US government are already doing with the information?

That's a whataboutism of the highest order.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1639586525825441792?t=On0iSSi71QmlNMGrsPwDqQ&s=19

gently caress out health care system, burn it down and put the executives on trial

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A.o.D. posted:

That's a whataboutism of the highest order.

Is it, though? On the one hand we have "a 'hostile foreign government' is collecting our metadata for... reasons?" On the other we have "here is proof that domestic law enforcement is collecting our metadata and employing it against us."

How is that whataboutism?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1639586525825441792?t=On0iSSi71QmlNMGrsPwDqQ&s=19

gently caress out health care system, burn it down and put the executives on trial

Coooooool.

Love how my in-laws still hen peck my wife and I about moving to Canada. "But the health care isn't as good as ours, Ralph! Why would you move there?"

The kicker the other day was my MIL telling us hospice care is free in America.
"Uhh, no it's not. "
"Well my brother received it and his wife didn't pay a dime."
"How old was your brother?"
"75"
"It was free because he had medicare cover it. That doesn't happen for everyone else. My step-dad was 59, and that was not the case for him when he had lung cancer. When people say medicare for all, that's literally what they're advocating for."
"Oh."

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I just assume anyone that wants information about me will find a way to locate it, especially if I post it online.

Don’t post poo poo you don’t want people to know online. Not complicated

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Zamujasa posted:

it's a distraction to take the focus off of our actual issues. who needs to worry about all of our problems when we can point and go "china... bad!"
We can walk and chew gum at the same time. While the House GOP is making a spectacle for political points, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be thwarting any inroads made by hostile, antidemocratic powers. And maybe spreading awareness of the dangers of the privacy invasions as perpetrated by the Chinese can be a salient point for reining in similar at home.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

Is it, though? On the one hand we have "a 'hostile foreign government' is collecting our metadata for... reasons?" On the other we have "here is proof that domestic law enforcement is collecting our metadata and employing it against us."

It becomes whataboutism when one uses the one to dismiss the other. Both things are bad, and should be dealt with. I personally feel more uneasy about a foreign government encroaching in that manner, but both are unacceptable.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The best thing I got from my service was insurance for my family.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The USA needs a GDPR style personal information regulation. Anything short of that is just bullshit posturing and window dressing. Surely if everyone is concerned about Chinese harvesting of metadata they would be on-board with securing personal information that might otherwise be abused, no?

lol yeah right

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cugel the Clever posted:

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. While the House GOP is making a spectacle for political points, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be thwarting any inroads made by hostile, antidemocratic powers. And maybe spreading awareness of the dangers of the privacy invasions as perpetrated by the Chinese can be a salient point for reining in similar at home.

being able to do something is extremely different from actually doing something. call me when there's a single iota of concern for the poo poo going on in our own borders, because until then, it's all meaningless bullshit.

basically, extremely this:

McNally posted:

we have documented, very obvious, very visible problems with social media within our own borders. we have documented evidence of law enforcement using social media to go after left-leaning groups and actively working with alt-right fuckheads. we have a megalomaniac running one of the biggest social media services and openly turning it into a nazis-allowed fascist free-for-all.

but also like, gently caress does it matter? we have citizens united. the election manipulation is coming from inside the house! :wth:

Nick Soapdish posted:

every one of these people needs to rot in the deepest pits of hell

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I dont think anyone is dismissing a threat from China (im not at least) but its just laughable to tap the Yellow Peril sign in congress and ignore how social media is abused domestically so it all rings hollow.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

My wife has had a chronic condition since she was very young, and the only insurer that didn't go out of their way to nickel and dime her and give her a hard time was when she briefly had coverage through the state run health insurance in Massachusetts, back when we lived in that state.

Every private insurance company has been a nightmare to a greater or lesser degree however.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Guys how do you expect share holders to make money if they just pay it out Willy-Nilly. lol

I still can’t loving believe we don’t treat health care like war. There’s money to be made from it. Just like war.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yes, but if we leave it completely private there's ludicrous amounts of money to be made, if the Government steps in it could get reduced to massive amounts of money, you wouldn't want the poor Healthcare execs to become mere multi millionaires would you?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Yes, but if we leave it completely private there's ludicrous amounts of money to be made, if the Government steps in it could get reduced to massive amounts of money, you wouldn't want the poor Healthcare execs to become mere multi millionaires would you?

I mean… I might become a rich healthcare exec someday so hrmmmmm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Always make sure you get your proper chocolate-to-peanut-butter ratios correct. Otherwise, this happens.

https://twitter.com/livenowfox/status/1639451785881600004

Woof, I'd chocolate my pants if I saw that too close

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I would never vote to convict someone who murdered a healthcare insurance executive I don't think.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

I would never vote to convict someone who murdered a healthcare insurance executive I don't think.

put the "execute" in "executive"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

Oh look the death panels the GOP was talking about, turns out its capitalism.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Every accusation from the right is a confession.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nick Soapdish posted:

By US standards our insurance company is tolerable but I’ve been going back and forth with them for nearly a year about a claim & every time I call the helpful agent gives me different info than the last. I’ve heard it’s not covered, it is covered but I need to appeal, no wait the doctor needs to appeal, now the hold up was that they thought the claim was for two medical items when there was only one, etc.

One of the oddest parts was sending in an unrelated claim for something they 100% said wouldn’t be covered but to submit it anyway, and it sailed through without a peep. A buddy who used to work in insurance confirmed this is the norm.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

It's a whataboutism in the sense that it's being suggested that nothing be done about it because "eh, we do it to ourselves". It's like like letting your neighbor's dog piss in your house because your own dog isn't housebroken. I mean, should we allow secret Chinese police stations because we've got lovely cops of our own?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It's a whataboutism in the sense that it's being suggested that nothing be done about it because "eh, we do it to ourselves". It's like like letting your neighbor's dog piss in your house because your own dog isn't housebroken. I mean, should we allow secret Chinese police stations because we've got lovely cops of our own?

Whataboutism is a deflection from a question someone doesn't want to answer by turning the tables back at the questioner.

Whataboutism:
"Do you think TikTok should be banned because of the threat posed by China using the data?"
"American companies do it and i don't see you saying anything about that!"

Not whataboutism:
"Do you think TikTok should be banned because of the threat posed by China using the data?"
"I don't think it's a big deal since my own country does it to me too"

Absolutely no one in this thread has said that the things that social media do and enable aren't bad. No one is deflecting from a sensitive topic. People just have different levels of give a poo poo about it, specifically because of the fact that china is not at all unique in this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

It's a whataboutism in the sense that it's being suggested that nothing be done about it because "eh, we do it to ourselves". It's like like letting your neighbor's dog piss in your house because your own dog isn't housebroken.

Even if it is whatboutism, why isn't that a valid question? The argument being made against TikTok is hypocrisy, mixed in with some orientalist racism. It's more like if your dog pissed all over your house, all of your neighbors houses, and occasionally took a poo poo in their pool, but you got all indignant the first time their dog peed on your lawn.

quote:

I mean, should we allow secret Chinese police stations because we've got lovely cops of our own?

Honest question, I'm not clear how this isn't just standard espionage? I would generally assume if you're an American (or British, or French, or Russian, etc) citizen who's in a prominent role or fugitive overseas, there's probably a less than above board embassy/consular official who's going to keep tabs on you to some extent. Normal course of business with international relations, countries will call it out when it's found out or even make some arrests for later exchanges now and then, and maybe the country spying loses some face.

Not that it shouldn't be called out when it's uncovered, but what's unique about this case?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
TikTok should be banned because everybody makes videos using that stupid loving TikTok cadence. Also the Oh No song sucks poo poo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even if it is whatboutism, why isn't that a valid question? The argument being made against TikTok is hypocrisy, mixed in with some orientalist racism. It's more like if your dog pissed all over your house, all of your neighbors houses, and occasionally took a poo poo in their pool, but you got all indignant the first time their dog peed on your lawn.

Honest question, I'm not clear how this isn't just standard espionage? I would generally assume if you're an American (or British, or French, or Russian, etc) citizen who's in a prominent role or fugitive overseas, there's probably a less than above board embassy/consular official who's going to keep tabs on you to some extent. Normal course of business with international relations, countries will call it out when it's found out or even make some arrests for later exchanges now and then, and maybe the country spying loses some face.

Not that it shouldn't be called out when it's uncovered, but what's unique about this case?

Whole police stations in foreign countries is a bit more than keeping tabs on expats, fwiw

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i just hate short form video that much sorry

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I miss Vine.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I need Twitter to be banned too. I found out last week that my old man has a Twitter account.
It's public!
He put his face in his profile pic!
He uses it to make lewd replies to thirst traps and cam girls!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you want to make the argument that the olds just want to ban something that they don't understand, or that their argument is couched in racism, I won't argue it. It's almost certainly true and I agree.

However, if it is significantly a tool for gathering metadata, and if China is a hostile nation, I don't see how those first two premises negate or even matter in light of those two things. A racist idiot is unlikely to be right, but it doesn't mean that they can't accidentally be right.

bengy81 posted:

I need Twitter to be banned too. I found out last week that my old man has a Twitter account.
It's public!

Can we at least ban Musk, the man cannot loving post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We collectively keep trying to run him off but he can't take the hint

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CainFortea posted:

Whataboutism:
"American companies do it and i don't see you saying anything about that!"

Not whataboutism:
"I don't think it's a big deal since my own country does it to me too"
Alright, so not tankies, just stubbornly shortsighted.

On one side, you've got a deeply flawed democracy where there are nominally rules in place to protect citizens' privacy. Sometimes those rules work, but motivated actors in the intelligence and policing communities push constantly at the boundaries, resulting in grave problems that require fixing. Citizens have the ability to demand accountability and oversight, which is occasionally heeded by their elected officials, resulting in this cycle of waxing and waning levels of abusive surveillance. It's never really been at a "good" spot, but there are real mechanisms in place that imperfectly mitigate harm.

On the other side, you've got a rising authoritarian power pursuing all avenues available to it to regain the status of its predecessor states. Prime among these avenues is undermining its chief rivals. Citizens daring to voice an iota of criticism are either forced to undergo a process of public shaming to deter others or are outright disappeared. You, as a citizen of a foreign state beyond the direct control of the autocrat, are a potential target for passive opinion shaping or active blackmail. You may benefit from a relative insignificance that keeps you from being a direct target of any machinations, but that's poor comfort.

It's all too easy to steep in all the awful abuses and violations perpetrated in the United States and numbly say, "Wow, it can't possibly get worse than this." But it can. It so, so, so can. Recognition of this doesn't diminish the fight we face for our privacy at home. If anything, it should empower our struggle by providing a crystal clear example of the horrors that lie down the road to unfreedom. I get the desire to voice frustration with the domestic situation, but there are better ways to do it than by vocally poohpoohing other real risks.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

bengy81 posted:

It's public!

Thats a more honest way to use social media than most.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nick Soapdish posted:

:thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Alright, so not tankies, just stubbornly shortsighted.

On one side, you've got a deeply flawed democracy where there are nominally rules in place to protect citizens' privacy. Sometimes those rules work, but motivated actors in the intelligence and policing communities push constantly at the boundaries, resulting in grave problems that require fixing. Citizens have the ability to demand accountability and oversight, which is occasionally heeded by their elected officials, resulting in this cycle of waxing and waning levels of abusive surveillance. It's never really been at a "good" spot, but there are real mechanisms in place that imperfectly mitigate harm.

On the other side, you've got a rising authoritarian power pursuing all avenues available to it to regain the status of its predecessor states. Prime among these avenues is undermining its chief rivals. Citizens daring to voice an iota of criticism are either forced to undergo a process of public shaming to deter others or are outright disappeared. You, as a citizen of a foreign state beyond the direct control of the autocrat, are a potential target for passive opinion shaping or active blackmail. You may benefit from a relative insignificance that keeps you from being a direct target of any machinations, but that's poor comfort.

It's all too easy to steep in all the awful abuses and violations perpetrated in the United States and numbly say, "Wow, it can't possibly get worse than this." But it can. It so, so, so can. Recognition of this doesn't diminish the fight we face for our privacy at home. If anything, it should empower our struggle by providing a crystal clear example of the horrors that lie down the road to unfreedom. I get the desire to voice frustration with the domestic situation, but there are better ways to do it than by vocally poohpoohing other real risks.

Just loving lol @ what I bolded.

And we went from the waxing/waning bipolar cycle of surveillance and privacy to a full fledged loving schizophrenic cycle of surveillance and privacy. Like, pre 9/11. TSP seemed like a fever dream in 1999. It’s a series of cloud based apps in 2023.

We refuse to properly secure and protect our citizens data collectively because :capitalism:. Not because of some noble balance or struggle of ideology.

In other words:

Smart Sons of Abraham posted:

עקוב אחר הכסף