Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They should build an obelisk of light that can two shot a GDI tank with every home win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lockback posted:

He's got 4 years guaranteed after this one, he's not going anywhere for a while.

Also the NY and LA teams don't have poo poo anymore in regards to draft picks or assets real assets.

Didn't the Knicks have enough to get Mitchell? Not that that's enough for Luka.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This rules

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol Portland got dragged through the mud just so GS could throw a smoke bomb to cover them salary dumping the #2 overall

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1639710732882448384?s=20

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1639722869163802629?t=K26QzYrEbb6wMeIhdt1bsQ&s=19

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Lol Portland got dragged through the mud just so GS could throw a smoke bomb to cover them salary dumping the #2 overall

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1639710732882448384?s=20

Truly shocking, this is my shocked face

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Eric Collins for owner

https://mobile.twitter.com/HornetsOnBally/status/1639460498461855745

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mikeraskol posted:

Didn't the Knicks have enough to get Mitchell? Not that that's enough for Luka.

They in fact didn't have enough to get Donovan Mitchell. Source: They didn't get Donovan Mitchell.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

NY wanted to keep RJ Barrett

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Barrett was 100% on the table.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Welp I guess idk why ny couldn't get spida

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They had crap assets.

A bunch of picks is fine but if you have absolutely no young guys to go with it you risk trading away a transformative player for a bunch of late first round picks. Dallas is not going to do that, they'd happily play chicken for a couple years and assume Luka wasnt going to throw away his career.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lockback posted:

They in fact didn't have enough to get Donovan Mitchell. Source: They didn't get Donovan Mitchell.

having enough is the same as offering enough?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Montgomery Williams Fined For Criticizing Officiating
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/03/suns-monty-williams-fined-for-criticizing-officiating.html

slave to my cravings posted:

What were the pre season poll guesses for number of games ben would play

code:
Benjamin Simmons will play at least 1,500 minutes in the 2023 regular season:

Votes	Percentage
Agree		98	72.6%
Disagree	37	27.4%
Looks like the Ben Simmons doubters are in good shape.

Eric Collins was more mild-mannered when he was the Bulls sideline reporter.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

They had crap assets.

A bunch of picks is fine but if you have absolutely no young guys to go with it you risk trading away a transformative player for a bunch of late first round picks. Dallas is not going to do that, they'd happily play chicken for a couple years and assume Luka wasnt going to throw away his career.

Yup younger players who are good now beats picks that might be 25+ because you made the other team a powerhouse. Phoenix picks probably won’t be worth a whole lot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For as much as Mavs fans fret over it I'm not buying my Lakers Luka jersey. Like the Lakers aren't going to have stuff to trade for at least three years and probably make that four if LeBron doesn't leave after next year because they'll probably end up having to trade the 2029 pick to keep that version of the team going.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Former NBA agent Charles Briscoe, who at one point counted Dwight Howard among his clients, is among those charged with schemes to defraud four professional basketball players of more than $13 million, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Thursday.

:iiam: as to which players got duped. Especially the one who gave him $7,000,000 to buy a team. The legal documents list guys like "Athlete-1", Athlete-6" etc. It's like Tim Donaghy's stuff. "Anonymous Referee #1" "Anonymous Referee #10" etc. Unseal the names IMHO.

The 🍯🌙 is over.

Red Rox posted:

If LeBron came back and led the Lakers to another championship this year, would that cement him as the GOAT

Higher levels of GOAT concretization would take place but in some measurements LBJ remains far behind Kareem.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seams posted:

Do you think the MVP should be voted on using strict criteria or not because the way it currently works generates content.

I don't think there has to be intellectual dogmatism or a statistical dictatorship (although things have been moving more that way lately).

I think there should be an MVP for each conference and a playoff MVP rather than a finals MVP. And playoff MVP should sometimes go to a player who doesn't win it all. Last year Jimmy Butler had the best stats in the playoffs despite playing zero minutes in the finals. Same thing with Jordan in the late 1980s and Elgin Baylor in the early 1960s. Tradition says to hand out an award with potentially only a four game sample over one that could potentially be 28 games.

Always giving the award to someone on the winning team is illogical unless you always award the regular season MVP to the best player on the best regular season team. But that leads to issues:

2022 Christopher Paul
2021 Rudolph Gobert
2012 Joakim Noah
2004 Jermaine O'Neal
2002 Predrag Stojakovic
1991 Terrence Porter
1989 William Laimbeer
1981 Cedric Maxwell
1980 Cedric Maxwell
1957 William Sharman

Not the consensus choices those years.

This year most intuitively know that Embiid and Jokic are the two in the running. They're also the two NP leaders:

code:
NP	Player
473.4	Joel Embiid
469.4	Nikola Jokic
418.48	Damian Lillard
392.76	Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
373.36	Lauri Markkanen

-22.56	Duane Washington Jr.
-25.04	TyTy Washington Jr.
-25.88	Dennis Smith Jr.
-39.4	Blake Wesley
-79.76	Killian Hayes
A bad year to be a Washington Jr.

TLDR: It doesn't matter. We could write out all the top players on a chalkboard and then throw rocks at a jar to decide. (This a reference to a certain TV show). 🏔️🏔️

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know Lockback will point to the Mavs record of Kyrie without Luka but it’s fantastic that Kyrie is speedrunning his own burn bridges record

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Luke Kennard shot 10/11 from 3 for his career best yesterday, also a Grizzlies record. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WdClVK4ic

Since becoming a Grizzly he's shot 54.7% on threes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I know Lockback will point to the Mavs record of Kyrie without Luka but it’s fantastic that Kyrie is speedrunning his own burn bridges record

Kyrie was always going to help way more next season when they can put together a coherent team. And honestly there is no way to know if Kyrie is going to wreck team vibes.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Zogo posted:

Always giving the award to someone on the winning team is illogical unless you always award the regular season MVP to the best player on the best regular season team. But that leads to issues:

2012 Joakim Noah
2004 Jermaine O'Neal
2002 Predrag Stojakovic

see absolutely 0 flaws with this methodology

quote:

2022 Christopher Paul

it's loving cursed and burn anyone who dares implement it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Lockback posted:

Kyrie was always going to help way more next season when they can put together a coherent team. And honestly there is no way to know if Kyrie is going to wreck team vibes.

I think Kyrie’s ability to gently caress up team chemistry might be the area where he’s truly become the greatest

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

I don't think there has to be intellectual dogmatism or a statistical dictatorship (although things have been moving more that way lately).

I think there should be an MVP for each conference and a playoff MVP rather than a finals MVP. And playoff MVP should sometimes go to a player who doesn't win it all. Last year Jimmy Butler had the best stats in the playoffs despite playing zero minutes in the finals. Same thing with Jordan in the late 1980s and Elgin Baylor in the early 1960s. Tradition says to hand out an award with potentially only a four game sample over one that could potentially be 28 games.

2022 Christopher Paul
2021 Rudolph Gobert
2012 Joakim Noah
2004 Jermaine O'Neal
2002 Predrag Stojakovic
1991 Terrence Porter
1989 William Laimbeer
1981 Cedric Maxwell
1980 Cedric Maxwell
1957 William Sharman

Not the consensus choices those years.

This year most intuitively know that Embiid and Jokic are the two in the running. They're also the two NP leaders:

code:
NP	Player
473.4	Joel Embiid
469.4	Nikola Jokic
418.48	Damian Lillard
392.76	Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
373.36	Lauri Markkanen

-22.56	Duane Washington Jr.
-25.04	TyTy Washington Jr.
-25.88	Dennis Smith Jr.
-39.4	Blake Wesley
-79.76	Killian Hayes
A bad year to be a Washington Jr.

TLDR: It doesn't matter. We could write out all the top players on a chalkboard and then throw rocks at a jar to decide. (This a reference to a certain TV show). 🏔️🏔️

Killian is a good on ball defender. he's a very good passer. cannot put the ball in the basket. useless at it. Markquis nowell could do it like 3 standard deviations better today

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Killian is a good on ball defender. he's a very good passer. cannot put the ball in the basket. useless at it.
This is my favorite kind of player.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Rick posted:

For as much as Mavs fans fret over it I'm not buying my Lakers Luka jersey. Like the Lakers aren't going to have stuff to trade for at least three years and probably make that four if LeBron doesn't leave after next year because they'll probably end up having to trade the 2029 pick to keep that version of the team going.

I don't really think Luka leaving is imminent or anything, I'm more struck by the fact that this historic nothing of a franchise stumbled into nearly 25 years of close-to-uninterrupted HOF talent that most franchises would kill for and has spent most of that time giving those guys clinical depression.

I don't think Kyrie's the problem right now, either, though if he's fighting with the fans it's probably not a good sign for him sticking around. The roster sucks, the good players are battling injuries, Jason Kidd is trying to do some bizarro Phil Jackson thing where he tries to say the most demoralizing, uninspiring thing he can think of at any given moment, and Cubes still hasn't found the t-shirt that will make the league office admit it's been wrong about everything all these years

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That mavs bench seems rather joyless.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I apologize for always posting these but the guy is out here on a Saturday evening playing jazz.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1639789454302003200?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BWV posted:

I apologize for always posting these but the guy is out here on a Saturday evening playing jazz.

lmao

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Is there something that is the opposite of a koan?

A short statement that is plainly true, but with the same intent of meditation and observation of insight.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TDepressionEarl posted:

Is there something that is the opposite of a koan?

A short statement that is plainly true, but with the same intent of meditation and observation of insight.

a zinger

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BWV posted:

Please don't stop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dutchy posted:

I don't really think Luka leaving is imminent or anything, I'm more struck by the fact that this historic nothing of a franchise stumbled into nearly 25 years of close-to-uninterrupted HOF talent that most franchises would kill for and has spent most of that time giving those guys clinical depression.

I don't think Kyrie's the problem right now, either, though if he's fighting with the fans it's probably not a good sign for him sticking around. The roster sucks, the good players are battling injuries, Jason Kidd is trying to do some bizarro Phil Jackson thing where he tries to say the most demoralizing, uninspiring thing he can think of at any given moment, and Cubes still hasn't found the t-shirt that will make the league office admit it's been wrong about everything all these years

Bizzaro Phil Jackson is a really good description of Jason Kidd.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

BWV posted:

Lol read in the manner of Perd Hapley

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

The Maestro posted:

Lol read in the manner of Perd Hapley

This is now my default voice for reading Magic tweets, thank you!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1639823102891761664

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol trae

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1639757761180499968?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I really dislike him. He plays basketball like he doesn’t like or trust anyone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I really dislike him. He plays basketball like he doesn’t like or trust anyone

I've read and heard speculation that his teammates feel the same way about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I feel like we're on year five of "Jeff Green's old rear end can still posterize people?"

I hope he never stops