Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Majima is a bit of a gray area in 0 since he's absolutely working FOR the Yakuza, he's just denied the recognition of active membership, because double secret torture probation. He's still within the Yakuza chain of command.

His playable mini chapters in Kiwami 2 would technically count as being while he's an active member in good standing, as much as Majima ever is.

Kasuga I feel has a bit of a deliberate joke on Yakuza protagonists being terrible at Yakuzaing, given the brief part where you play him as an active Yakuza ends with almost losing a finger because he treats his actual job as an afterthought, and everyone knows it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fun fact, one of the Kiwami 2 cheevos is named for that comic. :eng101:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ulio posted:

Going through Y5, drat I like this Watase dude, he just wants to punch poo poo just like Kiryu. I feel like they will make Aoyama the big bad though with some backstab or something. Watase gives me Ryuji vibes hopefully the fight with him is epic.

Also funny how the devs are not even hiding it anymore Kiryu is literally a one man army in this game.

https://i.imgur.com/7Qv8Mid.mp4
This is a very serious and realistic series.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 23, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Ya that scene was epic.

Did I do drugs or does Saejima straight up rip a giant steel cylinder in the prison off the ground? Also someone in the dev team played a bit too much Dynasty Warriors before Y5. I know in past games there are bits where you just fight a giant swarm but in Y5 it has alreayd happened like 4 times in 2 chapters.

NVm I forgot essence of the tiger existed lol, forgot how good this game is.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2023

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ulio posted:

Also someone in the dev team played a bit too much Dynasty Warriors before Y5. I know in past games there are bits where you just fight a giant swarm but in Y5 it has alreayd happened like 4 times in 2 chapters.

Because that's when the combat excels. One-on-one duels are cool and all but not everybody is suited for them. Tanimura has a million other dudes between him and his final boss in 4 because his kit is about grabs and parries and knocking enemies into each other and all the stuff you can't do to one man with a gun and lots of health.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The power creep to the point where kiryu is just straight up blocking punches with his forehead is so satisfying. Just hooting and pumping my fist over and over

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Because that's when the combat excels. One-on-one duels are cool and all but not everybody is suited for them. Tanimura has a million other dudes between him and his final boss in 4 because his kit is about grabs and parries and knocking enemies into each other and all the stuff you can't do to one man with a gun and lots of health.

I think the combat depends on game by game basis and character to character. I thought Kiryu's combat was fun in 4 and 0 but the original 1-2 combat ain't good imo. Also Tanimura focused on parry + Saejima's strong grappling style is way more fun than Kiryu in 4 and 5.

Btw I hated the Kiryu taxi driver stuff but Saejima living in a hunting village in the boonies is quite fun so far. Giving The Terror show vibes with the giant bear.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sane Taxi remains one of my favorite minigames in the entire series.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Kazzy Taxi

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love sane taxi with the exception of the tailing mission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Okudera-bear storyline was beautiful, felt like a main game story almost but I couldn't belive you could just skip it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SpiderLink posted:

Kazzy Taxi

:emptyquote:

start off Ishin ch11: drat, Ryoma and Okita really about to storm Edo Castle and force the Shogun to sign a constitution he half-wrote

quick edit: OKITA YOU MADLAD :allears: "Let's go make that shogun poo poo the bed!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lads' weekend

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Lads' weekend

working title for yakuza 8

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Lads' weekend

Is the pun intentional?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
lmfao, most competent version of ____Daigo____ by far

edit: the opening to chapter 12 is slick as hell, drat

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 24, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love all the alternate dialog you see talking to the shops and activities that are still open while the city is on fire.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the pun intentional?
like all good comedians i am going to lie and say yes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you all should watch john wick 4 and go :eyepop: when yakuza 0, 2, 5 and 7 makes a cameo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Only in Yakuza do you go from doing the most "manly" things like breaking out of prison, fighting a giant grizzly bear with your bare fists to getting ready for your idol debut as a teenage girl.

Gosh I love this series.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Ulio posted:

Only in Yakuza do you go from doing the most "manly" things like breaking out of prison, fighting a giant grizzly bear with your bare fists to getting ready for your idol debut as a teenage girl.

Gosh I love this series.

God, Haruka's game play in 5 was so fun. The dance battle minigame was great and I wish they'd stick with that input style instead of the weird thing in 0 and the one in Ishin.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ulio posted:

Gosh I love this series.

Yeah the contrast from Saejima to Haruka's chapter was great. I wish Haruka had like...maybe 5 more songs, but I actually found myself liking the first one a lot, despite my best wishes, so whatever. a fun change of pace from the usual fare to be sure

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vikar Jerome posted:

you all should watch john wick 4 and go :eyepop: when yakuza 0, 2, 5 and 7 makes a cameo

Wait what.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm guessing they film scenes in Dotonbori?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8P--KPpAI

often wonder about the reference to Tits McGee in the lyrics to this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mordiceius posted:

Wait what.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm guessing they film scenes in Dotonbori?

early on they go to Osaka and you get the establishing shots of d-Sotonbori, running man, river bridge, loving crab restaurant. tear rolling down my eye. Outlaw's Lullaby playing in my head

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 25, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah the contrast from Saejima to Haruka's chapter was great. I wish Haruka had like...maybe 5 more songs, but I actually found myself liking the first one a lot, despite my best wishes, so whatever. a fun change of pace from the usual fare to be sure

Ya actually song was catchy, I was hoping they had a few more.

Btw the girls from T-Set are by far the best villains in the series and they are just side characters. It shows you don't need to be the big bad villain guy when few teenagers can be far more effective. I haven't hated a villain as much as them except maybe Isao Katsuragi who hosed up Saejima's life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

early on they go to Osaka and you get the establishing shots of d-Sotonbori, running man, river bridge, loving crab restaurant. tear rolling down my eye. Outlaw's Lullaby playing in my head

I had the same experience in persona 5 strikers

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Finally finished Ishin today, and it floors me every time that I can spend over 110 hours doing as much as I have the patience to do, and still not crack 80% completion.

Anway, fun game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Finally finished Ishin today, and it floors me every time that I can spend over 110 hours doing as much as I have the patience to do, and still not crack 80% completion.

Anway, fun game.

Imo I hate games like that, you should naturally be able to get platinum or be very close especially if you play a game that much over it's finish time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hey, I've been playing these games for over a fuckin decade now, I knew what I was getting into.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ulio posted:

Imo I hate games like that, you should naturally be able to get platinum or be very close especially if you play a game that much over it's finish time.

People should just be able to give themselves any achievements they want to avoid weird situations like this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mordiceius posted:

probably my favorite moment in the entire series

2 dudes rock up with rocket launchers and some random dude with a sledgehammer rocks up in front of them like he's the one to watch out for

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tracecomplete posted:

The only real crime Majima commits is putting on that loving jacket in Yakuza 1.

What the gently caress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Khanstant posted:

People should just be able to give themselves any achievements they want to avoid weird situations like this
they can

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

What the gently caress

Look, I want alt-Yakuza where Majima wears his cabaret tux for 30 calendar years and still beats fools with bats. Printed blazers are for the mooks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So Haruka is legit cursed with her parenting figures I guess.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

tracecomplete posted:

Look, I want alt-Yakuza where Majima wears his cabaret tux for 30 calendar years and still beats fools with bats. Printed blazers are for the mooks.

Screw the jacket, have you seen his hair? Should go back to the ponytail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vikar Jerome posted:

When I went to Japan, we were in Kambukicho and my wife wanted to get some snack foods so I just instinctively led her to the Don Quijote in the NW corner of the map and she looked at me like I was a freak and couldn't understand how I knew exactly where it was. They were even playing the music.
:syoon: