Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639752364381880326
Russians continuing to find out that they're woefully behind in all the ways that matter, such as drone warfare. Funny comparison dropped saying their MIC is basically like Jurassic Park. Ends on a tearful note that by the time anything gets allocated to improving the situation it'll be too late anyway.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639757260766191619
Grey Zone put their foot down again and told the milblogger and military community to shut up about "the people in these vids are ackchyually Ukrainian actors". Many of these mobiks previously had military experience and they named the cities and towns which they come from. Also an interesting note that the NKVD blocking units seem to be primarily used for keeping the mobiks with previous experience in line rather than more expendable troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Good old rock.
Nothing beats rock.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mobby_6kl posted:

If I could stop the war by not posting, I would make the sacrifice

AAAAKSHUALLY the dirty secret of these threads is that Putin was here originally but was driven off by the horse cum reveal before he could be enlightened by a War Bad post.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Burt posted:

I read Lt Col Fairburns book on hand to hand fighting for SOE and OSS agents, and just about every technique on how to kill/maim/disable a man involved the words "strike firmly to the testicles".

Is that why so many elite assassins in comics, movies, and games are female?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1639749262798880770
You're making GBS threads me. They actually reactivated a Katyusha.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1639749262798880770
You're making GBS threads me. They actually reactivated a Katyusha.

Parade season is coming up, that's probably what they're for.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

NTRabbit posted:

Parade season is coming up, that's probably what they're for.

Ah well, nevertheless. Probably jumped the shark a bit after seeing that T-54s and 55s were being reactivated too.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah those look like they're in really good shape so probably parade or museum pieces being moved elsewhere for display.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharkiv_Morozov_Machine_Building_Design_Bureau

Developed the t-64, t-34 etc.

Ukrianian defense designs.

Russia is so down bad in The war they are using Ukrainian designed tanks from yester century

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Russian Telegram Propaganda on Putin's television appearance: It's on!

Rybar International posted:

About Western arms supplies to Ukraine:

Ukraine uses up to 5 thousand shells per day, while the United States produces only 14-15 thousand per month.

The Russian military industry will produce three times more ammunition than the West can supply to Ukraine.

The West plans to send about 400 tanks to Ukraine, but during this time more than 1600 will be produced in Russia.

The Russian side has something to respond to the transfer of shells with depleted uranium - hundreds of thousands of them are at the disposal of the RF Armed Forces.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

So that's why they're down to 8-10,000 shells being fired a day, eh? idiotic propagandists

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharkiv_Morozov_Machine_Building_Design_Bureau

Developed the t-64, t-34 etc.

Ukrianian defense designs.

Russia is so down bad in The war they are using Ukrainian designed tanks from yester century

Soviet/Russian tank design since the late 60s has been a mess, but the tanks are still capable in many ways.

T-64s were extremely advanced designs for their day. They had a great gun, tremendous armor (first tank fielded to use composite armor), an autoloader, and impressive technology for their day. Unfortunately, T64s had teething issues, mainly dealing with their engine life and suspensions. Morozov worked out said kinks to eventually evolve them into the T-64A, but were unable to fulfill demands to produce the T-64's advanced multifuel engine. So the army ordered experiments to make less intensive models of the T-64, one of which became the T-80.

Uralvagonzavod's designers thought they could do better and decided to make their own tank that changed way more than just the drive system. There are conflicting stories to how the designers escaped this insubordination, but eventually this project became the T-72. The T-72 has its own different autoloader model from the 64 and the original models lacked the 64's composite armor (which changed with the T-72A and B models). It uses a heavily modified and redesigned successor to the T-34's V12 engine. This engine is underpowered relative to any modern tank, even after receiving various upgrades over the years. Originally, The T-72 was supposed to be the "mobilization" tank that would support the more elite 64 units. T-90s are based off of T-72Bs, and there are many different models of T-90s with different engines, turrets, FCSs, etc.

T-80 is kind of similar to the 64 but with some alterations, with the catalyst of its creation being that it uses a gas turbine engine. These tanks have their own chassis design and had their own internal technology, but have the composite armor and autoloader of the T-64, among other similarities. There was a variant produced in Morozov called the T-80UD that used a powerful multifuel engine. This tank is in service with the Ukrainian army as the T-84.

There's so much more. There is a disgustingly long list of different frontline variants of each of these tanks, and they're all in existence and even serving alongside each other in Ukraine.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
why did they keep building so many variants in parallel?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Katyuscha video is very funny, but those ZIS/ZIL trucks look like they're in museum condition.
I got a good chuckle out of imagining conscripts wrestling with those towed 122mm guns though,

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Internal politics. Competition was a huge thing in the Soviet MIC between the pet teams of bureaucrats. Also losing the competition or having the "wrong" patron could lead to you getting executed

On another note, I sat down for Iftar with a huge Crimean Tartar family yesterday and hot drat did they have feelings about Russia v Ukraine

I tried to explain from an non-native's understanding of Crimea, concerns over treatment of Tartars. The oldest members levelled the harshest criticism towards previous Ukrainian administrations, but even that amounted to "There was a government that was unfair to us, and there is another that wants us all dead and all traces of us scattered to the wind."

Yeah it's anecdotal but I still laughed given some of the handwringing itt re:Tartars

Victis fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 26, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Different reasons.

-Competition among design bureaus. There was a lot of bureaucracy and backroom politicking for favor from the government/MoD.

-Manufacturing capabilities/capacity of different factories. Some facilities could maybe not make enough complicated equipment, so they would be granted permission to introduce a new model tank with parts that were easy to manufacture. This tends to feed into bullet point one, where a factory didn't want to admit it couldn't fulfill an order, so it would do some backroom deal to get its own tank program going.

-Tanks needed upgrades and fixes like any new technology. Problem was that while say, that Soviets would make a new tank hypothetically called the T-69, it would maybe have drive train issues in its initial run. While they tried to fix the drive train to make it the T-69A, they would make thousands of versions of the problematic T-69 base models, eventually promising to upgrade them to the T-69A. While this is happening, someone is making some new fire control system, but that system could only fit in a new turret. This is the T-69B and will use base T-69 hulls but their own larger, welded turrets instead of cast. Then, you'll have more and more branching paths of upgrade models that see limited runs like 69AMVs, 69BVMs, 69CBDs, etc. with all of their different engines, wheels, FCS, turrets, ERA/NERA, etc.. Then someone will notice that you still have old baseline T-69s sitting around that you need to sell off so you throw what you can into them and sell them as export models or to your satellite/influence states (that either won't get upgraded or are upgraded by the satellite state). And it just keeps ballooning when you start to introduce whole new tank models like the T-77 or T-88 or whatever. Oh, and don't forget that you have a hundred thousand old T-61s and T-58s sitting in depots. Why not upgrade them for rear guard units or exports?

It's a snowballing issue that came out of particularities with the Soviet system, then later particularities in the post-Soviet system.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

Katyuscha video is very funny, but those ZIS/ZIL trucks look like they're in museum condition.
I got a good chuckle out of imagining conscripts wrestling with those towed 122mm guns though,

Agree, but I do remember a Twitter video from early in the war, first couple of months or so, with a burning GAZ-51, a post-WWII design, and not that much younger than the trucks in this vid.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Different reasons.

-Competition among design bureaus. There was a lot of bureaucracy and backroom politicking for favor from the government/MoD.

-Manufacturing capabilities/capacity of different factories. Some facilities could maybe not make enough complicated equipment, so they would be granted permission to introduce a new model tank with parts that were easy to manufacture. This tends to feed into bullet point one, where a factory didn't want to admit it couldn't fulfill an order, so it would do some backroom deal to get its own tank program going.

-Tanks needed upgrades and fixes like any new technology. Problem was that while say, that Soviets would make a new tank hypothetically called the T-69, it would maybe have drive train issues in its initial run. While they tried to fix the drive train to make it the T-69A, they would make thousands of versions of the problematic T-69 base models, eventually promising to upgrade them to the T-69A. While this is happening, someone is making some new fire control system, but that system could only fit in a new turret. This is the T-69B and will use base T-69 hulls but their own larger, welded turrets instead of cast. Then, you'll have more and more branching paths of upgrade models that see limited runs like 69AMVs, 69BVMs, 69CBDs, etc. with all of their different engines, wheels, FCS, turrets, ERA/NERA, etc.. Then someone will notice that you still have old baseline T-69s sitting around that you need to sell off so you throw what you can into them and sell them as export models or to your satellite/influence states (that either won't get upgraded or are upgraded by the satellite state). And it just keeps ballooning when you start to introduce whole new tank models like the T-77 or T-88 or whatever. Oh, and don't forget that you have a hundred thousand old T-61s and T-58s sitting in depots. Why not upgrade them for rear guard units or exports?

It's a snowballing issue that came out of particularities with the Soviet system, then later particularities in the post-Soviet system.

To expand on this, our very own Xerxes17 did a series of effortposts regarding the development of Soviet cold war tanks in milhist thread and they are fantastic:

T-64, T-72, T-80

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Russian Telegram Propaganda on Putin's television appearance: It's on!

The fact that Russia so gleefully throws endless amounts of men and resources into an unforced war with no real stakes as though it were a fight for national survival will never not be the most absurd thing to me.

They are so stubborn about it I sometimes have to remind myself how little they actually have to lose in the event of defeat.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Gervasius posted:

To expand on this, our very own Xerxes17 did a series of effortposts regarding the development of Soviet cold war tanks in milhist thread and they are fantastic:

T-64, T-72, T-80

Cool. I've had a similar effort post sitting on my hard drive for a while, waiting for a good chance to dump it, but I'll just save those links for the future instead. I work with tanks in a limited capacity, but I have to be careful when it comes to posting about the Abrams or I might end up War Thundering one of these threads.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

a vast portion of Russian heavy lift MIL helicopters depended on ukranian produced engines, gearboxes, and avionics; the only production plant for mi-26 engines was located in Ukraine

same with antonevs; the RUAF essentially lost access to this equipment when they invaded crimea originally so one of the major charges against antonev's deputy head of security was that he had prepositioned engine cores and other assets (including Mriya) at hostomel in the expectation that they would be quickly turned over to Russian forces

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Cool. I've had a similar effort post sitting on my hard drive for a while, waiting for a good chance to dump it, but I'll just save those links for the future instead. I work with tanks in a limited capacity, but I have to be careful when it comes to posting about the Abrams or I might end up War Thundering one of these threads.

I get the impression the Uralvagonzavod crew was quite good at waiting for the new designs from the big brains at Morozov in Kharkiv, see what does not yet work, replace that with proven older tech and then deliver a 'new' tank quicker and cheaper.
But when they have to come up with their own T-95 or T-14 designed from scratch they put even more unproven cutting edge vaporware tech into it and end up infinitely worse. And now without another design bureau to do what they did and produce something that kind of works.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

This war is your land. This war is my land. From California, to the New York island. From the slav place, to the other slaaaav place. This land belongs to the USA

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

NeatHeteroDude posted:

This war is your land. This war is my land. From California, to the New York island. From the slav place, to the other slaaaav place. This land belongs to the USA

:dafuq:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639889753142181889

Set
Oct 30, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

On a scale from "tipsy" to "completely wasted", how drunk were you when you posted this? :v:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I like how this says more about your mindset than anything else

Set posted:

On a scale from "tipsy" to "completely wasted", how drunk were you when you posted this? :v:

Nah I’m sure whatever echo chamber discord this was c/p from thought it was super clever

Victis fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 26, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Set posted:

As an experienced alcoholic this was exactly what I wanted to ask

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Victis posted:

Nah I’m sure whatever echo chamber discord this was c/p from thought it was super clever

lmao okay

Set
Oct 30, 2005
When does your home country become too dangerous for you? What would have to happen for you to escape, leaving everything in your old life behind? Would you still work to better the conditions in your old home even if you knew how dangerous it is, and you might never have the possibility of returning? In this article from last fall Yle interviewed four Russians who needed to leave their old home, and in this case attempt to start a new life in Finland. Let's listen to their thoughts.

I wish to note that as this article is a few months old, some of the numbers mentioned in the article are quite outdated. I also wish to note that the first two video interviews are in English, so if you want to hear what they have to say you can click through into the article to have a listen, but as usual I have also translated and written short descriptions of their interviews if you prefer reading.

Authors: Esa Koivuranta, Antti Kolppo
Release date: 06.10.22
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20000546

quote:

Their home is here now

More and more Russians are looking for work - or asylum - in Finland. This is what the Finnish Immigration Service says. Four Russians tell Yle why they left their homes and ended up in Finland.

Roman's wife and child, 33, stayed in Russia

Roman last visited his home in Russia a month ago.

It is also the last time that the 33-year-old family man has seen his wife and his small child, under school age, face to face.

Roman himself has been living in Finland, Helsinki to be exact, with a work-based residence permit since the end of May.

The rest of the family still lives in the Moscow metropolitan area in Russia. There has been talk of moving, but so far the wife has not wanted to leave her elderly parents alone and run away to a foreign country.

Because that's what Roman feels he's done: he's fled his home country at war and its autocratic rule.

In the video, Roman tells in his own words why he came to Finland in the spring and what he thinks about Russia's development:
He says the main reason is because of the war, and he is in Finland now looking for a job. He looks to stay in Finland for a long time, to avoid ending up in the war. He thinks that Russia has lost all respect of the world, as well as the trust of its partner nations. This will only be problems in the future, and he doesn't see any good options for Russia in the future.

Roman appears in the story with just his first name, because he does not want the interview to cause trouble for his family in Russia. His identity is, however, known to Yle.

Roman is sitting on a bench in the yard of a shopping center in Helsinki. More than 260,000 men have recently left Russia in the news after President Vladimir Putin announced a partial suspension of operations due to the war in Ukraine.

The mobilization, even a partial one, is the reason why Roman no longer dares to travel to Russia to see his family. He calls them daily, but it's not the same as hugging someone, holding them in your arms.

Roman has completed conscript service and believes that because of that he would be among the first to be sent to the front.

He doesn't want war.

- I'm not going to fight for this system, he says, referring to his home country and its actions.

After the mobilization, the arrival of Russians also clearly increased at the borders of Finland.

Roman understands that the arrivals in part raise fear and even anger, but reminds that every young man who leaves the country means one less life in the Russian army.

- It is good to note that these people are the most active, the most courageous. They have left their home and have to start from scratch in a new country.

Roman has also started from scratch. At the beginning of the year, he worked as a technical expert in the service of the Russian financial sector.

Then came Thursday morning, February 24, and Putin began his war of aggression in Ukraine.

Roman didn't sleep for three days.

- I was in shock. I told everyone that this is the stupidest thing he [Putin] can do. Even if we are not talking about a moral point of view, but only about practical politics. Nothing good will come of this.

According to his own words, Roman had already considered leaving the country after the annexation of Crimea, but it wasn't until the events of spring that the plans gained momentum.

- I understood that this war could not be won. At least not with the number of troops that Russia had. I concluded that sooner or later there would be some kind of mobilization.

So Roman decided to act – fast. He started looking for work abroad.

Germany was considered first, but in the end the road led to Finland. It is easier to travel to the border country, Roman explains his choice.

The job was soon found. By the end of May, three months after the start of the war of aggression, he had taken care of the permits necessary for the move and was about to start a new career as a software developer in a family company operating in Helsinki.

Roman says he is grateful for his situation, even though his money in Russia was double what he made in Finland.

- My goal was not a high salary. My goal was to find a place to live in another country and a job to earn money for my family.

He had never been to Finland before. However, he has enjoyed himself: Helsinki is an interesting city. Sometimes it looks like Moscow, sometimes like St. Petersburg, sometimes like some German city.

Above all, feeling safe.

"My wife says I seem calmer now."

-Roman

Roman has one fear.

The fact that his spouse and children would no longer be able to come to Finland, even if they wanted to at some point.

Finland has already banned Russian tourists from entering the country. The border is not completely closed, but Roman's concern is that the restrictions will become even tighter.

- Of course I don't want my family to be separated from me.

His own residence permit is valid for two years. Roman will apply for a continuation as soon as he can.

- If that is not granted, I will look for another place and start from the beginning.

He is not returning to Russia. The country will not be stable for a long time.

- I will not return unless some force forces me to do so.

Karina, 30, sold all her possessions in order to move to Finland

Just a year ago, Karina worked as a manager in a large IT company in Moscow.

Everyday life was nice. Karina had lived in the city of millions almost all her life and got used to a certain kind of lifestyle.

In the summer, she gave it all up. Sold her furniture and other possessions. Packed two large suitcases and traveled with them via St. Petersburg to Helsinki.

To a country that she had only been once before.

Karina also had to borrow money in order to move to Finland. She says in the video that she came to the country without savings, without anything at all:
She says she moved to Finland as she didn't want to support the regime in Russia with her taxes. She has never liked what Russia was turning into, and this was the last drop in the bucket for her. She left for Finland without any savings or anything, because even that is better than what she had. She thinks she did the right choice, and that she feels safer now. She appreciates Finland, says that she likes living in a country where human rights are respected and there is a free media.

Karina's husband had arrived in Finland a month earlier. He had gotten a job as a coder in Helsinki that matched his experience, and Karina followed behind with a residence permit granted based on family ties.

The couple had started looking for work as soon as the war of aggression started, at the end of February.

According to Karina, the reason was that they did not want to finance Putin's war machine with their taxes.

- The situation was not that one day we realized that everything is terrible, and before that everything was fine. No. But that [Russia's invasion of Ukraine] was the last straw. It was something we couldn't digest.

Karina, 30, stands in a park in Helsinki in the middle of the most beautiful autumn colors. She often comes here when the time in his new hometown gets long.

Like Roman, Karina appears in the story only by her first name, because she also has loved ones in Russia for whom she is worried. Karina's identity is known to Yle.

Karina says that she sometimes feels lonely in Finland. Still, the decision to leave Russia was the only right one, she says.

According to her, many others would like to do the same, but for one reason or another they can't. There is no money, no language skills or much-needed education abroad.

Moving abroad costs several thousand euros, says Karina. The Russian attack was a surprise even for the Russians, and they did not know how to prepare for it.

"My husband and I are lucky because this was possible for us."

-Karina

Unlike her husband, Karina herself has not yet found a job in her field, but she hopes that the search will soon yield results and that she will be able to contribute to Finnish society with her taxes.

Adapting to a new environment is stressful, according to Karina, there is no denying that. But even that stress is nothing compared to the experiences of Ukrainians.

- What is happening in Ukraine is a disaster. I have never seen anything more horrible in my entire life.

She has Ukrainian friends, and beforehand she had thought that after coming to Finland, she could do volunteer work for Ukrainians.

However, it turned out to be too mentally heavy. As a Russian, she feels that she is partly responsible for the war herself.

- It must be understood that in Russia we are living more in the time of [dictator Joseph] Stalin than [Soviet leader Mikhail] Gorbachev. No one asks the people's opinion.

Karina says that she has read how, for example, on social media, some insist that Russians should not flee abroad, but rather show their opinion boldly and thus change society from the inside.

She understands the idea, but says that Russia is almost a totalitarian state, not a democracy.

- Russia is not in a financial crisis, like the Soviet Union once was. Russia still gets a lot of money from oil and gas, the police and the army get paid. The situation is very dangerous.

Karina herself dreamed when she was younger that she could change the political system of her country. She applied to study political science at university.

- I dreamed of helping people. Then I went to the state administration as an intern. I saw that it was a bureaucratic machine. There was corruption, lobbying and running errands. I realized that I couldn't help anyone. I finally got depressed.

Karina, as well as her spouse, have a two-year residence permit in Finland. Karina says that she doesn't plan her future too much, but lives one moment at a time - after February, she had to.

She no longer has dreams. Except maybe one.

That the war would end and that Ukraine would retain its independence and regain control of its territory.

Then Ukrainians would not have to suffer.

Irina, 23, left the country because she doesn't want to go to prison

23-year-old Irina Medvedeva is a gentle young woman, but despite her nature, in the eyes of Russian society, she is so dangerous that, according to her own words, she would go directly to prison in her home country.

The reason is that Medvedeva has publicly criticized the Russian administration and demanded change.

- I have participated in protests, acted as an observer in elections, done election work for independent candidates. In the demonstrations organized on behalf of [opposition leader Alexei] Navalny, I was beaten, she enumerates.

Now Medvedeva lives with her husband Yrii Mironov in a reception center located in the capital region.

Both are seeking asylum in Finland on the basis of political persecution, as Mironov, 27, has also participated in demonstrations.

- If you are an opposition activist in Russia, you have to choose whether to move out of the country or go to prison, he says.

In the video, Irina Medvedeva and Yrii Mironov say that they had to leave their home in April, because otherwise they would have been in prison. According to Medvedeva, a fabricated criminal charge awaits her in Russia: Irina lived in St. Petersburg and has been politically active since 2018. She has been active in demonstrations, protests, worked as a observer in elections as well as done election work for independent candidates. Last January she was beaten during a pro-Navalny demonstration, and after the war started the police claimed she was a suspect in a bomb threat. Yrii says that they decided to move to Finland immediately after the war started, and while at first they didn't have any real chance to stay, his mother lives in Finland. Then when the police raised the criminal charge they were finally forced to actually move, as they no longer had a choice to stay.

The couple has come to Finland from St. Petersburg, where both have lived with their families since they were children.

In St. Petersburg, Mironov worked in the IT field. Remote work would have been possible, but not from a so-called unfriendly country - as Russia has, for example, classified Finland as part of the European Union, according to Iltalehti.

Like her husband, Irina Medvedeva studied information technology. She is originally from Siberia, and moving to Finland seemed like just another stop for her.

Finland was a familiar country for the couple, as Mironov's mother currently lives here.

- We had the idea of ​​moving here after Irina had finished her studies. But we had to come earlier.

Mironov's family has supported the couple, but Medvedeva's relatives have not shown any understanding of the activism.

- I don't know what I would do without my husband, Medvedeva says.

Irina Medvedeva has continued her activism in Finland as well: she has, among other things, demonstrated her opinion in front of the Russian embassy in Helsinki.

The police have been there, but unlike in Russia, they have not beaten the demonstrators, but secured the course of the event.

- It's crazy, Medvedeva muses.

It has been reported in the media that after the mobilization, even detainees have been mobilized in Russia, even if they were not conscripted.

Yrii Mironov believes that the same could happen to him if he made the mistake of stepping over the border.

“They can do what they want. Mobilization is the most useless waste of human life."

-Yrii Mironov

Despite their exile, Mironov and Medvedeva feel that they are patriotic people. For them, patriotism means that they love their country and wish nothing but good for it.

However, Russia's future does not look bright. No, even if Putin is ousted from power one day.

- There are too many people in Russia who like him. The whole administrative system is built by his people. When Putin dies, the war ends, but the system remains, says Mironov.

That's why the couple's home is now in Finland.

Mironov would like to find a job, Medvedeva hopes to continue her studies.

The third member of the family, the two-year-old Buba cat, is still in Russia, but will hopefully come to Finland during the end of the year.

There are no other plans. Life has to be put together from the pieces that are.

- Now I'm studying Finnish, Irina Medvedeva says in clear Finnish.

More and more Russians are looking for work - or Asylum - in Finland

Work-based residence permit applications by Russians have clearly increased, according to the statistics of the Finnish Immigration Service.

By the end of September, there had been 2,314 applications from Russians based on work, says Pauliina Helminen, head of the permit and citizenship unit.

At the same time last year, the number was 1,072.

What is new is that in addition to employees, their family members, i.e. their spouses and children, apply for a residence permit. Previously, family members could only apply for a residence permit later, but now the whole family often moves to Finland at once.

- In the case of spouses, a permit based on family ties has been applied for 1,017 times by the end of September, compared to 378 last year. A similar increase can be seen in the number of applications for children, says Helminen.

Asylum applications have also been submitted more than before: by Monday, 653. Since the motion was launched in September alone, 237 Russians have applied for Asylum in Finland.

Until now, approximately 200–500 Asylum applications have come to Finland from Russians per year.

For example, according to Helsingin Sanomat, some MPs have hinted that avoiding the military in Russia could be considered as a basis for Asylum in Finland.

Pauliina Helminen says that avoiding military service and mobilization are not directly grounds for granting international protection, but each application is always examined individually.

The vast majority of those who apply for a residence permit on the basis of work are granted a permit. This year, by September, 161 negative decisions had been made on Russians' applications, while 1,690 were positive.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Those who were able to escape this madness going on in Russia were the lucky ones. At least they can make a new life for themselves in Finland or whichever other country they were able to find a new home in. gently caress Putler for making this their only option.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

zone posted:

Those who were able to escape this madness going on in Russia were the lucky ones. At least they can make a new life for themselves in Finland or whichever other country they were able to find a new home in. gently caress Putler for making this their only option.

Yeah, it is such a tragedy on all levels. I really hope everything has gone well for the interviewees, especially the last couple. It would be nice of Yle to do an update article where we learn how it is going for them today.

PinheadSlim posted:

As an experienced alcoholic this was exactly what I wanted to ask

There is this quality of "I am just about to fall asleep drunk but need to make one last post" to it lol

Victis posted:

I like how this says more about your mindset than anything else

We have discussed this a lot in earlier threads as well. There is this type of American exceptionalism where nobody else in the world has any agency, and everything just happens as a reaction to American choices or is organized by the US government. It is a very childish way of seeing the world, but I guess, also very comforting to some.

It is also not really relevant to to the topic of this thread so I think we should just leave that one weird drunkpost alone for now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

This is your brain on American exceptionalism

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Please explain it for us slav and non-slav euros

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Power Khan posted:

Please explain it for us slav and non-slav euros

I think it can be summarized as "we don't matter".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Im gonna guess a human wrote this and not ChatGPT, do I win?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Legit make Ukraine the 51st state and send in the F-35s already

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Legit make Ukraine the 51st state and send in the F-35s already

Outside of this making me feel like an ad saying "1 weird trick NATO doesn't want you to know about (Russians Hate This!!)", I think Ukraine gets a say and they seem pretty good on being their own country.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639925363726856196
An evil waterfront marina was denazified this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Brexit is an unfathomably massive national self-own, but even that has yet to kill 200.000 brits.
Our covid (non-)response took care of that.