Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Is Terrence Howard looking for work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Joe Fisto posted:

Is Terrence Howard looking for work?

if you want to hire someone who hasn't been accused of beating women then you don't want to hire terrence howard

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Blockhouse posted:

if you want to hire someone who hasn't been accused of beating women then you don't want to hire terrence howard

Aw dang.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, uh, I mean they already had Don Cheadle replace once. Just say he's a variant of Rhodey who became Kang. Boom done.

Hell, that adds more pathos to the avengers that one of their greatest members and friends in another life is their worst villain

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Well with the DCEU ending, there’s a young up and coming actor who could use a job. Ezra something… they can be blue

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I feel like it should be pretty easy not to assault people, but I'm not a celebrity so maybe it's really hard for them or something.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Is it possible this was some drunken bar fight? Because Thanos used to get into those.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Is it possible this was some drunken bar fight? Because Thanos used to get into those.

Says it's a domestic so not very likely

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Seems like there’s a pattern of this

https://twitter.com/tim_nicolai/status/1639785028711329792?s=21

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tweet deleted

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tweet deleted

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That super sucks. If there's any validity to it you dump him. Come up with an excuse for why Kang changed appearances. Honestly probably easier with him than other characters given the other identities thing. Or don't and just recast and don't say a thing. Or put up a big disclaimer before hand that he was an abuser so they dumped him. Don't care. Its a movie role, its not as important as a person being hurt, you just do the right thing.

I'm sure legally they have to wait and see. So the worst case scenario is probably that the charges get dropped in a way that we all still assume him guilty and they just go along with his contract and its all around lovely.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Just recast him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that sucks. You've gotta recast him if it's true.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This sucks. He's a stupendous actor. Why does "stupendous actor" seem to often overlap with "absolute sociopath"?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

SlimGoodbody posted:

This sucks. He's a stupendous actor. Why does "stupendous actor" seem to often overlap with "absolute sociopath"?

Acting is skilled deception and charm, things psychopaths excel at.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A whole bunch of agents are on the phone trying to be first in the recast audition. I wonder how quickly LaKeith Stanfield can bulk up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wonder if he was allowed to hold his mug for his mug shot.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Maybe it’s recency bias, but I saw John Wick 4 yesterday and the actor who played Tracker was pretty drat good. Shamier Anderson.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think it’s confirmation bias? There are hundreds of great actors out there who just live otherwise quiet, unremarkable lives but we don’t hear about it. The spectacularly lovely ones make the news and colour our perception.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

A whole bunch of agents are on the phone trying to be first in the recast audition. I wonder how quickly LaKeith Stanfield can bulk up.

Isn't he an anti-vax, Qanon believer? I remember sometime last year he did an Internet seminar for them or something?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I think it’s confirmation bias? There are hundreds of great actors out there who just live otherwise quiet, unremarkable lives but we don’t hear about it. The spectacularly lovely ones make the news and colour our perception.

That's a good point. Famous actor dudes probably do domestic abuse at the same rate as any man per capita, which just happens to still be higher than anyone would like

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't he an anti-vax, Qanon believer? I remember sometime last year he did an Internet seminar for them or something?

Everyone is anti-vax or qanon if you believe hard enough.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The only reasons Jonathan Majors will see repercussions for his alledged DV is the strangulation and he is famous so the media was watching.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1640027505452089348?t=IlstR7mw7Er2HDqRLe0utQ&s=19

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1639974526543966208?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You kinda feel like when these studios are looking for actors that will be contracted for the long-term, playing significant roles that are intertwined with plans spanning across multiple projects, there would be some kind of vetting process where they could easily find out if there are any sorta skeletons in their closet that could be major issues.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean the idea that we can identify every bad person is pretty silly. I particular abusers often are good at hiding it and silencing anyone who could speak out against them. But also a lot of people just get worse over time or don’t cross a line until they do. It sounds like there might have been a pattern of behavior with Major but there’s still like a line. And it’s easy to see the path there once someone crosses it but before then he’s often just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jamesman posted:

You kinda feel like when these studios are looking for actors that will be contracted for the long-term, playing significant roles that are intertwined with plans spanning across multiple projects, there would be some kind of vetting process where they could easily find out if there are any sorta skeletons in their closet that could be major issues.

short of people getting arrested nothing's going to show up on a background check

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Disney isn't the FBI and productions have deadlines they need to meet. I'm sure there's tons of legalese they need to deal with once they're signed on, but beyond performance in auditions I doubt there's ever been much thought given to an actor's background until something like this blows up in their face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if there were basic background checks on actors, especially ones you’re casting for important roles. But it’s not gonna be some kind of thorough investigation and it would honestly be pretty hosed up if it was. Like the idea we’re describing is that if you want to be in a Marvel movie you have to go through a thought invasion of privacy to prove you’re not a secret monster. That wouldn’t go over well with the majority who aren’t.

These are actors in super hero movies, not presidential candidates getting security clearance. And as we’ve seen we’re not that good at wedding bad guys out of that either.

Just deal with the problem the right way when it reveals itself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just mean like people coming out now and saying that there were issues with Majors in the past, but they were swept under the rug. Like, I feel like people at Disney would have the connections to find out about this kinda stuff.

Buuuuut I guess this is the same industry where Harvey Weinstein got to sit on top for a long, long time, so maybe I am giving people too much credit that they would actually care about this stuff in the first place.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
In general, I think Disney has been good about weeding out problematic folks from their stuff. The only other example I can think of is a few relatively quiet anti-vaxers, and that wasn't a thing when they were hired.

Doing a good background check is tough in general, and while I wish abusers would not get hired and not exist, there may be legal implications to not hiring folks because you dug into their personal life.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
As has been mentioned, a lot of this stuff isn't gonna come up in a background check because there are no arrest records, it's not on a credit score, it's all rumors and whisper networks. And if corporate suits start asking around these informal networks, their past co-workers, etc., they're not going to hear anything because everyone knows suits don't like whistleblowers and will punish them for saying anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The US Army has pulled the commercials that Majors has recently done for them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Lmao

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

If there’s one thing the army is known for its a zero tolerance for domestic violence

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I definitely understand the invasion of privacy argument, but on the other hand, it isn't like these folks are trying to get a job as a CPA or getting a small business loan to start a taco truck operation or some other fairly inconsequential role in the grand scheme of things. Signing up for this isn't just being an actor; you're essentially signing to be turned into a demigod.

You're going to be paid absolutely obscene piles of wealth that will set you up for life. You're going to become one of the most famous people on the planet. You're going to have incredible job security, as well as the creative leverage and leeway to do anything you want after. You are also the face of the brand, and the lynchpin upon which literal billions of dollars and tens of thousands of careers will be anchored for a decade.

It is a huge responsibility to take these roles, and that responsibility comes with rewards we mortal non-mega-celebs can scarcely fathom because of how life changing they are. It does seem like the requirements should be a bit stringent. I think you're allowed to ask for a higher bar of clearance when you're offering that responsibility to someone. The precedent is already sorta there, I mean, all of these contracts likely have morality clauses so they can axe you if you try to set up an online streaming service where you bet on dogfights.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
ah, I know we're coming at this with good intentions, but I'm pretty sure the sorts of in-depth personal background investigations you guys are talking would be, well, what's the word? Illegal. Illegal is the word :sweatdrop:

There are a ton of things employers aren't even allowed to ask prospective hires without opening themselves up to lawsuits, including seemingly harmless things like "where were you born" and "how old are you." Any information that could be used to discriminate against a potential employee is grounds for them saying something like "Ah, you only refused to hire me because I'm [insert thing here]" which is no bueno.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's theoretically doable, but you'd need a bunch of private investigators breaking every privacy rule, and even then you'd basically have to sequester them to a company town for a few years to make sure nothing new happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Becoming rich & famous can also warp people.