Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well this is new.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65077687

Nukes to be stationed in Belarus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is Malcolm Nance, idk how to phrase this, legit? As in is it worthwhile to read his tweets? I can't place this guy, he def seems to like attention and I've never been able to figure out wtf exactly he is doing, which might just be basic opsec by him tho.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is the best/funniest video of Malcolm Nance you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78KFZZ_HoyY

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's well worth repeat viewings.

The cast is just :kiss:.

For another war film with a great cast, try Kippur, by Amos Gitai. It describes, roughly, Gitai's chaotic experience during the Yom Kippur War. Powerful stuff. Not "rah, rah, moto", just people surviving the best they can in a hosed up situation.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

If I recall, it was was done for dramatic effect in Enemy at the Gates, but the seed came from a previous conflict where it did happen on a very small scale. WW1 or Russo Japanese war spring to mind, but I could be conflating. It was meant to show the desperate straights they were in with their back at the Volga with Stalin, and their front Paulus and the might of the Wehrmacht war machine. I think the Russian film Stalingrad (probably had a different name in Russian) where it's a small squad of holdouts scavenging and ambushing Germans does a better job of showing the desperation of the position. It has a fantastic scene where they repel an assault but hiding under bodies with knives that is worth watching by itself.

If someone knows what I'm talking about, please fill in the details or correct me on the historical basis of "2nd man picks up the rifle".

Specifically troops from the second wave of mobilizations sent to the front lines in World War 1 (1914-1915 specifically) were sent without rifles and ordered to pick them up from the fallen. Russia's war production was absolutely not ready for a prolonged war of attrition. But that's the historical basis for the "one man goes with rifle, one man goes with bullets" stories -- wrong war.

Surprisingly, Russian troops developed such poor morale that with very few exceptions (Brusilov's offensive mainly, and that against almost the almost in as bad a shape Austrian army) that they were no longer a threat to the Germans. Eventually Russia managed to straighten out their economy just in time to suffer a complete political collapse in 1917.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Is Malcolm Nance, idk how to phrase this, legit? As in is it worthwhile to read his tweets? I can't place this guy, he def seems to like attention and I've never been able to figure out wtf exactly he is doing, which might just be basic opsec by him tho.

The best part of Malcolm Nance's trip to Ukraine (which he himself said was spent mostly doing press avails) was his showing up on Russian television as the face of Scary African American Mercenaries that allowed commentators to repeatedly broadcast how racist Russians can get (if you're unaware, Russians can be some of the most racist weirdos on the planet). At one point one "military analyst" said of course our boys were retreating from Kharkiv, because just look, the Americans are sending THE BLACKS.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

For another war film with a great cast, try Kippur, by Amos Gitai. It describes, roughly, Gitai's chaotic experience during the Yom Kippur War. Powerful stuff. Not "rah, rah, moto", just people surviving the best they can in a hosed up situation.

in that vein, "Waltz With Bashir" from 2008 is a classic, about the IDF experience in Lebanon in the 1980s which still hasn't really been dealt with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsHIQ8fGfM

(cw: trailer has some graphic, although animated, battle scenes and brief nudity)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Low-intensity warfare in Afghanistan was more than enough for one lifetime. I don't know what would possess anyone to volunteer to go experience varsity level poo poo for ANOTHER country, even if it is a righteous fight.

I mean, I wasn't some super badass door kicker; I just managed construction projects. But getting rocketed and mortared regularly and watching one of my LN contractors die of a sucking chestwound was sufficient to make fireworks unappealing to this day.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lum_ posted:

in that vein, "Waltz With Bashir" from 2008 is a classic, about the IDF experience in Lebanon in the 1980s which still hasn't really been dealt with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsHIQ8fGfM

(cw: trailer has some graphic, although animated, battle scenes and brief nudity)

It's a loving thing, that.

For those that aren't aware, Waltz with Bashir (in part) has ex-IDF soldiers remembering their experiences in the cordon around the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps while other Lebanese went on a loving tear through the place. It's gut-wrenching, harmful to the soul, and an important part of a story that may otherwise be lost or suppressed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

psydude posted:

Low-intensity warfare in Afghanistan was more than enough for one lifetime. I don't know what would possess anyone to volunteer to go experience varsity level poo poo for ANOTHER country, even if it is a righteous fight.

I mean, I wasn't some super badass door kicker; I just managed construction projects. But getting rocketed and mortared regularly and watching one of my LN contractors die of a sucking chestwound was sufficient to make fireworks unappealing to this day.

Because it's easier than real life.
Because they get addicted.
Because it feels more normal to live in mud and death than to sleep in a bed.
Because it becomes a primal desire to take the kind of deep breath you only take before you die.

Enough exposure to trauma, your brain just doesn't go back to processing things normal- it physically changes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

aphid_licker posted:

He's an extremely online weirdo natsec grifter who occasionally provides decent insight, but usually also with opinions unsupported by expertise or experience. He's looking better in retrospect because far purer examples of the breed came along after him.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

quote:

Russia plans to station tactical nuclear weapons in neighboring Belarus, President Vladimir Putin told state television Saturday.

Moscow will complete the construction of a special storage facility for tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus by the beginning of July, Putin told state broadcaster Russia 1.

The Russian leader said Moscow has already transferred an Iskander short-range missile system – which can be fitted with nuclear or conventional warheads – to Belarus.

During the interview, Putin also said Russia has helped Belarus convert 10 aircraft to make them capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads. Russia will start training pilots to fly the re-configured planes early next month, he added.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-25-23/h_63c05a1412b957f0d700babc8bb45151

Putin's gonna Putin. Saber rattling to appear tough and keep Belarus firmly under his thumb. He knows if he does _anything_ with those poo poo will spiral out of control.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 25, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Countdown to one getting stolen

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bulletsponge13 posted:

Because it's easier than real life.
Because they get addicted.
Because it feels more normal to live in mud and death than to sleep in a bed.
Because it becomes a primal desire to take the kind of deep breath you only take before you die.

Enough exposure to trauma, your brain just doesn't go back to processing things normal- it physically changes.

There were two articles a while back that really brought this to the forefront for me. One was a woman organizing and coordinating volunteers and donations for Ukraine, and how many of these guys' reason came down to "this is all I am anymore, and all I can ever be". The other was a reporter embedded with a volunteer unit. At first one of the soldiers, a Kiwi, I think, says he's there to stand up for what's just, to be on the side of righteousness. Over time, he admits that's just what he says for other people, and that he can't imagine any other life. You're absolutely right, trauma hijacks the brain and hardwires it into something else

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It can, and it can become harder and harder to treat over time too.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yuuup.

de Wiart, Junger, Jack Churchill...

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Freddie Spencer Chapman, the author of the Jungle is Neutral shot himself in his sixties if I recall and I can't imagine that broke brain from combat goes well with growing old.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It has always been thus. Xenophon's Anabasis describes what look an awful lot like post-traumatic symptoms in Spartan officers (though obviously not in those terms) and there are similar surviving descriptions from both the victims of Assyrian invasions throughout the middle east and amongst Assyrian soldiers who fought in those invasions.

And people can recover from truly awful things too. There's no going back, or pretending that those things never happened but people can find ways to live happy, meaningful lives while also managing the symptoms of injuries like PTSD. And it occurs to me that I am probably preaching to the choir here because I have no doubt that there are a not insignificant number of readers of this thread who know this because they have lived it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Roman era writings of the Evocatii describe men who had tried civilian life and would come back to the military because they struggled to adjust or missed combat. Obviously the terms are not "PTSD", but it's not hard to read that from in-between the lines.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fearless posted:

And people can recover from truly awful things too. There's no going back, or pretending that those things never happened but people can find ways to live happy, meaningful lives while also managing the symptoms of injuries like PTSD. And it occurs to me that I am probably preaching to the choir here because I have no doubt that there are a not insignificant number of readers of this thread who know this because they have lived it.

I’m imagining that the trope of “came home from war and peacefully tends his garden” has roots in this idea ( :dadjoke: not intended, for once!). Peaceful solitude (ish) where you can grow/guide new life that people enjoy seeing does have its appeal, after all.

It’s probably a not-insignificant part of why I love my current job, monitoring nesting shorebirds and sea turtles.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lum_ posted:

Specifically troops from the second wave of mobilizations sent to the front lines in World War 1 (1914-1915 specifically) were sent without rifles and ordered to pick them up from the fallen. Russia's war production was absolutely not ready for a prolonged war of attrition. But that's the historical basis for the "one man goes with rifle, one man goes with bullets" stories -- wrong war.

And, this happening was a cornerstone of Bolshevik propaganda among the army. "The nobles are so uncaring about your lives that they send you to fight without weapons, while they prance around in golden carriages a thousand miles from the front", or something like that.

Which is why it absolutely could not be Soviet policy in WW2, because doing that was considered counterrevolutionary. Even with all its horrible faults, the Soviet Army cared a lot more about the lives and conditions of its soldiers than the Imperial Russian Army ever did. There were a few instances of Soviet troops without weapons meeting nazis, with the expected results (including iirc one at Stalingrad!), but these were more things like construction battalions being overran or emergency drafted soldiers meeting enemy before weapons could get to them. Unlike in WW1, it never was actual policy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to one getting stolen

I look forward to the Plainly Difficult episode covering it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-25-23/h_63c05a1412b957f0d700babc8bb45151

Putin's gonna Putin. Saber rattling to appear tough and keep Belarus firmly under his thumb. He knows if he does _anything_ with those poo poo will spiral out of control.

You know that some clumsy construction worker is going to drop a cigarette in that specialized storage facility before it's finished being built.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cimber posted:

If he does, it will turn out that the X-37 happens to have a payload module that can launch kinetic penetrators and we will find out because a windowless part of the Kremlin was suddenly gifted a free skylight or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazinsal posted:

The longer this war goes on, the more I find it amazing that people continue to say that the whole "ten men, one gun" stereotype of how Russia does frontline combat is inaccurate and racist.

It used to be inaccurate. It isn't now. The Russian army has regressed to sub-Tsarist levels of competence.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bennyfactor posted:

If he does, it will turn out that the X-37 happens to have a payload module that can launch kinetic penetrators and we will find out because a windowless part of the Kremlin was suddenly gifted a free skylight or something.

That should cut down on the distance people will have to walk to fall out of a window

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

There were two articles a while back that really brought this to the forefront for me. One was a woman organizing and coordinating volunteers and donations for Ukraine, and how many of these guys' reason came down to "this is all I am anymore, and all I can ever be". The other was a reporter embedded with a volunteer unit. At first one of the soldiers, a Kiwi, I think, says he's there to stand up for what's just, to be on the side of righteousness. Over time, he admits that's just what he says for other people, and that he can't imagine any other life. You're absolutely right, trauma hijacks the brain and hardwires it into something else

If it was a kiwi it was probably Kane Te Tai, who was killed in combat last week.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1639930464352849921?t=CHdYHa6trpOy5a4oQZTgwQ&s=19

Since the embedding appears to be busted, the salient part:

"Russia moving Katyusha rocket launchers on ZIS-151/ZIL-157 trucks from the 1940s-1950s, led by even older ZIS-6 trucks from the 1930s."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1639930464352849921?t=CHdYHa6trpOy5a4oQZTgwQ&s=19

"Russia moving Katyusha rocket launchers on ZIS-151/ZIL-157 trucks from the 1940s-1950s, led by even older ZIS-6 trucks from the 1930s."

I mean Katyushas still work, any MLRS will do good at blanketing an area of ground in shrapnel, but loving hell if that's what they're forced to resort to, jeez. Their supply situation is pretty hosed.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 26, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Are they still saving the ‘good stuff’ to use on the imminent NATO invasion?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Never mind the trucks, the ones at 0:15 and 0:55 are towing what looks like M1942 76mm ZiS-3 guns.

Are we sure this isn't some kind of World War 2 cosplay operation for a propaganda show? Because ain't no loving way the Russians are going to be breaking out the World War 2 76mms.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Never mind the trucks, the ones at 0:15 and 0:55 are towing what looks like M1942 76mm ZiS-3 guns.

Are we sure this isn't some kind of World War 2 cosplay operation for a propaganda show? Because ain't no loving way the Russians are going to be breaking out the World War 2 76mms.

Very possibly it's just designated parade equipment heading for their next venue. :shrug:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Very possibly it's just designated parade equipment heading for their next venue. :shrug:

The fact that they're driving around with rockets on the rails tells me that they're either in or very near Ukraine, or that you're right and those are dummy rounds and those are heading to parade duty. Is there any indication where that footage was taken?

Edit: according to the comments those license plates indicate they're non military so parade duty it is.

Also one of the comments suggests that at least some of them are Studebakers, so since those came over on lend lease those a)don't exist and/or b) don't make a difference anyway.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

It's probably this, everything looks like it hasn't been sitting in a field since the Khrushchev administration.

I'll eat my words though if we get drone footage of 80 year old Katyushas shuffling around the outskirts of Avdiivka though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're taking it to soon-to-be-activated refurb facilities, to give the workers a quick familiarization session in preparation for the surplus stocks.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

PurpleXVI posted:

When all this is said and done this is gonna be known as the Russian kitchen sink war of 2022-2023.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sentinel posted:

When all this is said and done this is gonna be known as the Russian kitchen sink war of 2022-2023.

Literally & figuratively. :yeshaha:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Sentinel posted:

Let's hope those dates stay accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Let's hope those dates stay accurate

Arguably they're already wrong, because the first date should be 2014.