Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vulture Culture posted:

My unironic favorite thing about shared ownership is that sometimes people will really surprise you with what they're able to do. On one project alone, I watched a data scientist submit a feature to an AWS SDK to get something working in a low-lift way, and another data-centered software engineer with very little Linux domain experience investigate and fix an SSSD configuration embedded into a Kubernetes sidecar through several layers of config management glue.

Hey thanks for your PR implementation of this feature but our team was not properly consulted, did not approve this design, your implementation breaks our component's undocumented design principles, and we're not even sure how you were able to get the component to run locally on your machine and execute its functional/integration/acceptance tests, since they all depend on secret magic system property string values which we don't ever share outside of our team. We don't have capacity to review your PR at this time, so please talk with our engineering manager to prioritize a consultation session so that we can align on a better path forward. We might be able to squeeze you in next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there any SA dev discord or am I missremembering?

https://discord.gg/9NaBzpyNXT

I'm not sure if you need to be approved by a mod there. I'll let them know I posted the invite.

Edit: I am told you should join the discord and then check the #how-to-auth channel for instructions.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 17, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Suprised there doesn't seem to be a git log option to limit how many merge commits to follow. We've got some messy upstream branch were merges branch out into more merges if you use git log --oneline --graph. I don't want to exclude all merge commits, just limit how many it follows when building the graph.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This guy at work messaged me his personal contact information after working hours yesterday, then passive aggressively admonished me for not replying to them at 8am this morning, stating that the upcoming demo (on the 29th) is extremely important.

Buddy, I've been with the company since the founding - sorry for keeping strict working hours, and go gently caress yourself for telling me what I think is important?

At least when I talked to my supervisor about it it seems like this isn't the first time this dude has rubbed folks the wrong way.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 23, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

"I keep normal office hours, and I won't be able to help you until late next week, good luck with your demo!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wibla posted:

"I keep normal office hours, and I won't be able to help you until late next week, good luck with your demo!"

You mean "late this week" because we don't send messages like this until Monday morning when we're back on working hours.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

You mean "late this week" because we don't send messages like this until Monday morning when we're back on working hours.

No, this week is already full :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah agreed, when you don’t want the sender to start expecting timely replies when they email you at 4:45pm on Friday, so you Schedule Send your reply for Monday at 9:15am, you’ve got to be careful about the timeline :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 26, 2023

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Let's say I was interviewing at company X and got turned down. I interview with company Y, that is in the same industry for a similar job, and get an offer. If I see company X still has open positions that I didn't interview for, should I go back to the recruiter from company X and say "I got this offer, let's do another interview."?

E: The problem is, company X is more prestigious than company Y.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 26, 2023

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Work at Y for a year, then reapply to X

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The company Y offer doesn't change anything in this scenario. (Well, except for giving you something else to do in the interim if you decide to wait and then interview with X again). Either they were always willing to interview you for alternative roles that you think might fit you better, or they have an interview process that isn't role-specific and they won't consider you at all for at least the next six months. (After which it might be worth interviewing you again, in case you've learned some new things).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

America Inc. posted:

Let's say I was interviewing at company X and got turned down. I interview with company Y, that is in the same industry for a similar job, and get an offer. If I see company X still has open positions that I didn't interview for, should I go back to the recruiter from company X and say "I got this offer, let's do another interview."?

E: The problem is, company X is more prestigious than company Y.
I don't really understand what the play is that you're trying to make here by involving Company Y's offer. Are you trying to somehow convince recruiting at Company X that they made a mistake by passing on you?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't really understand what the play is that you're trying to make here by involving Company Y's offer. Are you trying to somehow convince recruiting at Company X that they made a mistake by passing on you?

I think he's actually asking for advice about his X girlfriend but is disguising it to fit in with the thread theme

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Work at Y for a year, then reapply to X

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

I've seen this a couple of times in the last year with weird plays from candidates. 'I have an offer from Y so really you should be considering me for your position' . But usually not after failing the interview, there's no real coming back from that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

America Inc. posted:

don't do this

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Competing offer leverage only works if you have an offer in the first place.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

“I know you turned me down because you’re not interested in me, but I got a date with another person recently. So, does that change anything?”

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Love Stole the Day posted:

I think he's actually asking for advice about his X girlfriend but is disguising it to fit in with the thread theme

Don't give me any ideas now.

Yeah I was about to shoot the recruiter an email but then I thought "this feels sleazy". Ngl the company I got an offer from was not my first pick, so hopefully this job can give me some career growth into a full stack developer and then I'll see where I can go from there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

America Inc. posted:

Don't give me any ideas now.

Yeah I was about to shoot the recruiter an email but then I thought "this feels sleazy". Ngl the company I got an offer from was not my first pick, so hopefully this job can give me some career growth into a full stack developer and then I'll see where I can go from there.
If by "sleazy" you really meant "desperate and hopeless", then you're getting closer

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"your cut-rate competitor is hiring me"

"Yeah sounds about right lmao good luck with that poo poo"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ehh I'm not going to lay into it too because I was curious if somebody was going to say something interestingly different.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

If by "sleazy" you really meant "desperate and hopeless", then you're getting closer
Please stop doxxing me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I for one say you should do it OP. I mean, what could go wrong?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Gives recruiters more stupid poo poo to complain about on bloviating LinkedIn posts.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I for one say you should do it OP. I mean, what could go wrong?

You've convinced me, sending the email now. No but thanks goons.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My team transitioned to a new product and handed off our previous areas of ownership to another team about a year ago. They'll rarely come to us with questions that we're happy to answer as they've been relatively easy and not required much of anything from us. Recently, an inquiry came in about finding logs for a user who reported a crash on login attempt on one of the mobile platforms. Easy-peasy—we gave a quick refresher on how to go about that and left them to it. A day later, they came back indicating they didn't find logs and didn't get much useful info from direct outreach to the user, so they were going to close out the ticket as a transient failure.

"Great!" I say, "but I looked at your ticket and your owner hasn't documented their attempt to reproduce the issue. The issue's not reproducible, right? Users can log in on iOS? On Android? Right?"

:shepicide: :suspense:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I still don't understand why management types pretend that a company is hiring great and above average people, when they offer below average pay.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They can just claim their total compensation is have higher and really stretch what they claim in there.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Cugel the Clever posted:

My team transitioned to a new product and handed off our previous areas of ownership to another team about a year ago. They'll rarely come to us with questions that we're happy to answer as they've been relatively easy and not required much of anything from us. Recently, an inquiry came in about finding logs for a user who reported a crash on login attempt on one of the mobile platforms. Easy-peasy—we gave a quick refresher on how to go about that and left them to it. A day later, they came back indicating they didn't find logs and didn't get much useful info from direct outreach to the user, so they were going to close out the ticket as a transient failure.

"Great!" I say, "but I looked at your ticket and your owner hasn't documented their attempt to reproduce the issue. The issue's not reproducible, right? Users can log in on iOS? On Android? Right?"

:shepicide: :suspense:
I love that game where people just ask for more information without doing any digging. Try to reproduce the problem? No, is prefer you read me info from websites I could easily go to my self

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I found that when training new people just asking them what have they tried to find a solution before asking me for help will usually influence them to actually try something before just asking me first thing next time they need help…

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I'm using ChatGPT more and more to look for help than searching google and stackoverflow. I just used it today to figure out an issue I was having with setting up Lighthouse CI in a github action, and it gave me an answer that worked the first time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

America Inc. posted:

I'm using ChatGPT more and more to look for help than searching google and stackoverflow. I just used it today to figure out an issue I was having with setting up Lighthouse CI in a github action, and it gave me an answer that worked the first time.

I was thrown on a low-level embedded project and used it as a refresher on some C stuff I forgot years ago. It works well until you get into (in my case) MISRA compliance issues.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

On the other hand, I had a colleague ask me in Slack why the SQL query he got from chatGPT wasn't working. That's when I felt it won't take my job away.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've heard it mentioned that at a high level ChatGPT is really just a specifically-tuned search engine. Rather than Google returning web links to content, ChatGPT just returns the I'm Feeling Lucky content directly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The "I'm feeling lucky" button can only return results that actually exist. Generative models can produce new content which may or may not be factual.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ChatGPT can paraphrase existing content, including solutions to problems which have already been solved often. That has actual utility as a programming aid, just as long as you don't misunderstand what it's actually doing and assume it can program.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

ChatGPT can paraphrase existing content, including solutions to problems which have already been solved often. That has actual utility as a programming aid, just as long as you don't misunderstand what it's actually doing and assume it can program.

This. It's good for setting up models and asking some questions, but it's not going to build a functional program for you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
To be fair, neither am I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
These AI coding helpers are also great for writing boilerplate and the boring parts of the code. Like point it at an example JSON file and ask it for the Go struct.