Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I need to get one of those timer lights that turn on when he can leave his room.

We had great success with one, a single datapoint on which to pin hopes and dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

We recently shipped the 2.5 year old into the 6 year olds room, bit of an adjustment at first but they seem to both be sleeping better. It’s so nice having our own room again but I really miss his white noise machine. Its way to quiet now even with the tv on.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In a better world we could have some form of community child rearing so the brunt of the work isn't levied on parents of newborns and everyone gets to collectively share the benefits together without getting burned out.

And while I'm wishing I'd like a pony too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Aztec

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In a better world we could have some form of community child rearing so the brunt of the work isn't levied on parents of newborns and everyone gets to collectively share the benefits together without getting burned out.

That world exists with affordable (or even FREE) state sponsored child care services, but we are too addicted to rugged individualism and wealth extraction to ever allow that to happen.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Been hearin' some things

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just wait until your kids are all 12 and all of you parents are endless tiktok prankees.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

Just wait until your kids are all 12 and all of you parents are endless tiktok prankees.

TikTok turned every teen into Bam Margera

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been getting back into watching Bob's Burgers after missing the last 2 seasons by watching the movie and this came up in my YT feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpGntxu0dq0
TL;DW: community child rearing def has some great advantages. My relatives in San Francisco are all kids of my dad's 2nd eldest sister and that community was able to help raise each other up when they started families of their own. While my parents were raising my dumb rear end up in bumfuck Northern Maine, there were small groups that also helped raise me & my sister. One of the friends I had lunch with yesterday who just had a new kid has the luck that his parents retired recently had his parents move from Maryland to retire out here in Oregon & be closer to him & his family.

Not going to lie, all this parent talk got me feeling :smith: that I may have missed my window in having a family of my own.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

Who lets their kids have TikTok?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

They haven't done that, they just like talking in some alien teenage language with new memes that confuse and frighten me, which delights them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Silly Burrito posted:

They haven't done that, they just like talking in some alien teenage language with new memes that confuse and frighten me, which delights them.

You should counter by using SA memes from 2003

“l33t meme! 5 manbabies, goon sir!”

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

TikTok turned every teen into Bam Margera
Just pretend I posted the ancient quote from some philosopher about how children are suddenly loud and restless and don't respect their elders and this has never happened before

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

You should counter by using SA memes from 2003

“l33t meme! 5 manbabies, goon sir!”

Badger badger badger badger

Mushroom Mushroom.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

Mushroom Mushroom.

They know this one.

Also...cat, I'm a kitty cat, and I dance dance dance and I dance dance dance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fifty Three posted:

Just pretend I posted the ancient quote from some philosopher about how children are suddenly loud and restless and don't respect their elders and this has never happened before

Oh yeah nothing is new under the sun. I regularly hear 25yo people at work complaining about kids being entitled and I have to giggle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fifty Three posted:

This line is usually attributed to Socrates of all people lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C-Euro posted:

This line is usually attributed to Socrates of all people lol

Socrates Johnson?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Watching In Bruges and pretty much all of the actors in this movie are also in the Harry Potter films

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

Also...cat, I'm a kitty cat, and I dance dance dance and I dance dance dance.

Our siamese was patient enough he would just stare off into the distance while my wife held him up and did the I'm a kitty cat and I dance dance dance with him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Watching In Bruges and pretty much all of the actors in this movie are also in the Harry Potter films

Chloe :3:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Socrates Johnson?

Nah, I think it was Bob "Genghis" Khan.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kalli posted:

Mushroom Mushroom.

Speaking of mushrooms…

Everyone is cashing in on The Last Of Us

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

Oh yeah nothing is new under the sun. I regularly hear 25yo people at work complaining about kids being entitled and I have to giggle.

People complaining about the youths always makes me giggle. My dad shared some dumb video on Facebook of kids in the 60s/70s building homemade bike ramps and it was all “kids can’t do this anymore!” But like, dude, you watched me do that in the late 90s which was peak ‘think of the children’ era. Also you can just go on Amazon and buy one from a sketchy aliexpress reseller for 50 bucks instead of using splintery wood that’s going to crack as soon as a wheel touches it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

I am nostalgic for my youth but it’s ok to admit it wasn’t the best time. People smoked loving everywhere when I was a kid and it sucked. Also it was the end of the Cold War.

But Nintendo was cool.

I dunno, I’m trying hard to make sure I never lose sight of the fact that kids now have the same cross-section of assholes as any other generation, and are facing equally unique circumstances. Our judgement isn’t helpful, or relevant.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

in my day kids were allowed to roam free and didn't need cellphones to check in with their parents. We knew to come home when the street lights came on, those were the good old days!

Yeah thanks, fellow Gen Xers those were the good old days where kids were abducted and put on milk cartons how is that something to brag about

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I dunno, I’m trying hard to make sure I never lose sight of the fact that kids now have the same cross-section of assholes as any other generation, and are facing equally unique circumstances. Our judgement isn’t helpful, or relevant.

Somewhere or other out there someone has written a book about all of the various panics about 'the children aren't alright' throughout history I'm sure. That'd be a fun read if I knew where to look to find it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Somewhere or other out there someone has written a book about all of the various panics about 'the children aren't alright' throughout history I'm sure. That'd be a fun read if I knew where to look to find it.

Probably just alternating free-love and satanic panic, moral-hazard eras.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/melissatempel/status/1638324580371537927

Song was banned for being “too controversial”

They also banned Rainbow Connection

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Probably just alternating free-love and satanic panic, moral-hazard eras.

I mean, you might get some 6 year old chimney sweeps threatening to unionize in order to get a little more food in there too. But how dumb each of the variations are would be fun to read I think.

I'm sure ancient Egyptians had complaints about their kids of some sort, it's just a universal thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am currently cutting a bunch of "safe" TV spots for the Middle East for Super Mario Bros which don't feature Rainbow Road. It sickens me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1640028507672653826?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

I should just stay off Twitter for my blood pressure’s sake

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s wild how effectively the GOP has wedged themselves into school boards via bored, retired cultists.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, you might get some 6 year old chimney sweeps threatening to unionize in order to get a little more food in there too. But how dumb each of the variations are would be fun to read I think.

I'm sure ancient Egyptians had complaints about their kids of some sort, it's just a universal thing.

I agree for sure. I would read that book.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

don’t worry it’s quickly becoming (more) worthless

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1640049750966665218?s=46

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

kiimo posted:

I am currently cutting a bunch of "safe" TV spots for the Middle East for Super Mario Bros which don't feature Rainbow Road. It sickens me.

Collecting paychecks from the evil empire are ya

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

But Nintendo was cool.

When I got my NES my dad and I set it up close to before we had to go upstairs for Christmas dinner or whatever.

We did duck hunt and track meet and and finally put on Mario and I remember us finishing 1-1 right as my mom screamed down the stairs at us to come up.

The screen got dark, the music changed, and I panicked and ran right into the double koopa that greets you in 1-2. I remember thinking “whoa what was that” like nothing had ever been more powerful that that.

It’s still my most vivid video game memory, partly because my dad was there with me and we were both just like “whoa”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Collecting paychecks from the evil empire are ya

I work at Universal Pictures which is Comcast so probably

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol, of course it's loving Waukesha

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s still my most vivid video game memory, partly because my dad was there with me and we were both just like “whoa”

I have a very similar memory from the initial Mario gameplay and recaptured the magic somehow when I got Zelda for Christmas.

The power of those early classics was palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bird in a Blender posted:

What if your kid wakes up at 5:30 am every day?

My older son used to get up at 5 on school days so he could play video games for an hour, but he would end up tired at school. So I had to start waking up at 5 myself specifically to make him go back to bed