Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

ulvir posted:

there’s also a rumour that matt damon posted on here

There was also that period where goons thought Jon Stewart was reading the forums and stealing their jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It seems likely that random comedy writers stole jokes from the internet. probably not Stewart himself

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It doesn't seem implausible that someone would steal jokes from the internet; unlikely that it'd be Jon himself, but the guy has writers on staff.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
highly doubt it was the j man himself, but it's within the bounds of possibility someone did it, a writer somewhere

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

fartman posted:

There was also that period where goons thought Jon Stewart was reading the forums and stealing their jokes

lmfao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: rich kids on SA, some guy whose dad owned a lovely airline (Allegiant) used to post in the NASCAR thread, and he raced for his dad's self-funded team

this isn't really unusual in racing, and he was actually pretty good, including winning in the Busch series, but he mainly is remembered for having the worst fight i have ever seen in any sporting event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctF1xgSVIXQ

also his opponent is Jon Wes Townley, whose dad owns Zaxby's, and he is more famous for attempting to axe murder his ex-wife and her husband before getting shot to death.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IIRC the Jon Stewart thing was entirely because he said “comedy gold” on the daily show once

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Feels Villeneuve posted:

re: rich kids on SA, some guy whose dad owned a lovely airline (Allegiant) used to post in the NASCAR thread, and he raced for his dad's self-funded team

this isn't really unusual in racing, and he was actually pretty good, including winning in the Busch series, but he mainly is remembered for having the worst fight i have ever seen in any sporting event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctF1xgSVIXQ

also his opponent is Jon Wes Townley, whose dad owns Zaxby's, and he is more famous for attempting to axe murder his ex-wife and her husband before getting shot to death.

I remember cry laughing watching that fight happen on TV and my wife being very not impressed when I had to explain why it was so goddamn funny.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

IIRC the Jon Stewart thing was entirely because he said “comedy gold” on the daily show once

Lmfao

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I was very mad at the ‘daily show stole comedy gold’ people and im a bit embarassed about that now because

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know about Jon Stewart but watching 30 Rock recently made me 90% sure either Tina Fey or someone on her writing team is a Jerkcity fan, up to and including a sketch that word for word copied this strip

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pablo Nergigante posted:

never mind, the man is a thief and a cretin besides

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't know about Jon Stewart but watching 30 Rock recently made me 90% sure either Tina Fey or someone on her writing team is a Jerkcity fan, up to and including a sketch that word for word copied this strip

out of that entire wave of sitcoms, 30 Rock had to have aged the best, including them coming up with a fake reality show called "MILF Island", and having a fake NBC promo saying "Joe Rogan IS: Mandela"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

30 Rock had an honest to god Lemon Party joke so that I would actually believe

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

out of that entire wave of sitcoms, 30 Rock had to have aged the best, including them coming up with a fake reality show called "MILF Island", and having a fake NBC promo saying "Joe Rogan IS: Mandela"

I had never watched it before and it was great, although i think the version I watched had cut out multiple blackface episodes lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had never watched it before and it was great, although i think the version I watched had cut out multiple blackface episodes lol

yeah rip. idk why, it was an obvious joke about the kind of poo poo that used to air back then like Amos and Andy, but i can understand them not wanting to touch that kind of poo poo nowadays

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah rip. idk why, it was an obvious joke about the kind of poo poo that used to air back then like Amos and Andy, but i can understand them not wanting to touch that kind of poo poo nowadays

Yeah that's the case with a bunch of relatively recent blackface stuff that's been pulled, thinking of the Always Sunny Lethal Weapon episodes and the Community episode where Chang dresses as a "dark elf", but uhh I can kind of understand just taking a zero tolerance approach lol.

Apparently the insanely racist (even for the time) late-season 30 Rock stuff about North Korea is fine though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah that's the case with a bunch of relatively recent blackface stuff that's been pulled, thinking of the Always Sunny Lethal Weapon episodes and the Community episode where Chang dresses as a "dark elf", but uhh I can kind of understand just taking a zero tolerance approach lol.

Apparently the insanely racist (even for the time) late-season 30 Rock stuff about North Korea is fine though

the it's always sunny one is really funny because they removed the blackface episode but not the pilot, which revolves around charlie demonstrating that he's not racist after he is overhead dropping a hard r n word

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

30 Rock had an honest to god Lemon Party joke so that I would actually believe

It has at least 2 and one is in like the first episode. Watched a lot of this on Netflix.

Edit: because it’s kinda funny the first one is subtle where Alec Baldwin calls the writers room or something “Liz’s Little Lemon Party,” then way later in the show they name Liz’s dad Richard so they can have him say “It wouldn’t be a Lemon Party without old Dick.”

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 26, 2023

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol this thread is great

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lmao

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TheMightyBoops posted:

It has at least 2 and one is in like the first episode. Watched a lot of this on Netflix.

Edit: because it’s kinda funny the first one is subtle where Alec Baldwin calls the writers room or something “Liz’s Little Lemon Party,” then way later in the show they name Liz’s dad Richard so they can have him say “It wouldn’t be a Lemon Party without old Dick.”

30 Rock also had an episode around James Franco dating a body pillow and comprised a large cast of writers who would otherwise likely have not gone hired. Also I’m p sure at least one of Derrick Comedy was on here and Donald Glover was a 30 Rock writer. If my memory is off, there are enough mid to low level comedians who if not already extremely online see weird twitter and decide to become online enough to at least lurk here. This was far more likely a narrative a decade+ ago when 30 rock was on air.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lmao

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

ulvir posted:

there’s also a rumour that matt damon posted on here

:hai: may he rest in peace

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

yup that's it, thank you

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

John Malkovich had an account once but never logged in iirc. He thought a front page article was funny and emailed about it so they gifted the account to him

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

yup that's it, thank you

:cheersbird:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The Mayor of Knox county TN and noted masked wrestler/full on piece of poo poo Kane is allegedly a goon per an old anonymous confessions thread

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tweak posted:

The Mayor of Knox county TN and noted masked wrestler/full on piece of poo poo Kane is allegedly a goon per an old anonymous confessions thread

tell him to post in IZWF

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hbomberguy's a goon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Isn't deadmaus a goon? Or Skrillex, one of those guys.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

wayne gretsky used to be a goon

edit: speaking of balls...

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah deadmau5 was a GBS mod at one point

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=140839

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

if I'm remembering right, and GBS loving sucked at this time so i very well may not be, it was a joke modding and only lasted for a short few hours with lowtax quickly 'banning' him leading to goons saying 'we banned deadmau5' for years

edit: if I'm correct in memory the 'banning' was just an av change

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol making someone a mod just because they're famous is such an SA thing to do

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Derek smart (don't say it two more times plz)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

famous usenet poster and child fighter

i'd rather share a forum with kibo