Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mobby_6kl posted:

Legit make Ukraine the 51st state and send in the F-35s already

I think Ukraine wants to stay being Ukraine actually. They're, you know, fighting a whole war about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Um excuse me I believe you'll find they already are 🤓

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639925363726856196
An evil waterfront marina was denazified this morning.

That might be a defensive mine that detached, failed to explode when it surfaced and then triggered when it finalky bonked ashore. poo poo happens, but usually sea mines have a redundancy of safeguards to prevent this from happening.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Outside of this making me feel like an ad saying "1 weird trick NATO doesn't want you to know about (Russians Hate This!!)", I think Ukraine gets a say and they seem pretty good on being their own country.
I don't know if the current situation can be described as "pretty good"

Roblo posted:

I think Ukraine wants to stay being Ukraine actually. They're, you know, fighting a whole war about it.
More like "not being russia"

Anyway to be clear that was a joke, but EU membership has 92% support (https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/ukraine-92-want-eu-membership-by-2030/) so I'm wondering what support US membership would be, especially if it came with actual hep with getting rid of the rashists.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

You know, interestingly, my dad, who's been kind of tankie-ish about the whole thing, and said he made sure to read the Chinese press about it, actually seriously had his dial moved on that because the ICC thing. 'Well, why are the Chinese talking like that about someone who's a wanted war criminal?'

So apparently there are people for whom the ICC thing is what changes matters.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shogeton posted:

You know, interestingly, my dad, who's been kind of tankie-ish about the whole thing, and said he made sure to read the Chinese press about it, actually seriously had his dial moved on that because the ICC thing. 'Well, why are the Chinese talking like that about someone who's a wanted war criminal?'

So apparently there are people for whom the ICC thing is what changes matters.
Lol Chinese media.

But yeah that's surprising because I've certainly heard the "ICC is just in the pocket of western interests" take from the usual suspects

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What is the general consensus regarding the Chinese-Russian relationship in this war? Any indications as to what degree China will enable Russia? I understand there was a summit recently but I am absolutely not caught up with the news for personal reasons.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol Chinese media.

But yeah that's surprising because I've certainly heard the "ICC is just in the pocket of western interests" take from the usual suspects

They're not wrong (for once). I'd be very surprised if the ICC warrrant changes a lot of people's minds, given that the US hasn't even signed up it itself. The hypocrisy argument is very easy to make.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Roblo posted:

Isn't mobby Ukrainian himself? EDIT: I might have him confused with another poster with a similar name and AV.

Also lol at NHD, the guy who probated someone with "don't downplay war crimes so openly, it's scaring the people we're trying to convince that NATO is the greater evil.", coming here with that poo poo.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 26, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

:xd:: War is bad
:(: Yeah, I hope this horrible war ends as soon as possible
:xd:: Haha, OWNED *high fives the air and moonwalkes out of the room*
:confused:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

:xd:: War is bad
:(: Yeah, I hope this horrible war ends as soon as possible
:xd:: Haha, OWNED *high fives the air and moonwalkes out of the room*
:confused:

fwiw one of the people doing this was permabanned for buying themselves death threat and transphobic avatars and trying to pin it on other people

I won’t say anything more to preserve the sanctity of this thread, but KM moments should not go to waste

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Gervasius posted:

To expand on this, our very own Xerxes17 did a series of effortposts regarding the development of Soviet cold war tanks in milhist thread and they are fantastic:

T-64, T-72, T-80

this is really interesting, thanks. going to do a dive today

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Cool. I've had a similar effort post sitting on my hard drive for a while, waiting for a good chance to dump it, but I'll just save those links for the future instead. I work with tanks in a limited capacity, but I have to be careful when it comes to posting about the Abrams or I might end up War Thundering one of these threads.

There is always a good time to drop good effortpost so :justpost:

e: also two more effortposts about T-55 modernization programs by LatwPIAT

USSR, Czech and Polish T-55 Upgrades
Romanian T-55s

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 26, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lord Stimperor posted:

What is the general consensus regarding the Chinese-Russian relationship in this war? Any indications as to what degree China will enable Russia? I understand there was a summit recently but I am absolutely not caught up with the news for personal reasons.

My read is that China is trying to play both sides and isn't quite reading the room right, so to speak. I doubt they're going to give any noteworthy military aid to Russia however as there's likely little in it for them if they do that.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Set posted:

I wish to note that as this article is a few months old, some of the numbers mentioned in the article are quite outdated. I also wish to note that the first two video interviews are in English, so if you want to hear what they have to say you can click through into the article to have a listen, but as usual I have also translated and written short descriptions of their interviews if you prefer reading.

All the examples in this story are of someone who was able to come to Finland because they were an IT worker for whom it was reasonably easy to find a job in Finland. Then they got a two-year residency permit which can also include bringing one's family. This kind of thing seems to be the best option for these people to get out of Russia.

As usual, ordinary people such as those who don't have the language skills or the IT nerd education or the money will have a much harder time of it. Not to mention, I imagine most people would rather not leave their country in the first place, as that's obviously a massive thing to do.

Putin has hosed things up for so many Russians, it's just depressing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Brexit is an unfathomably massive national self-own, but even that has yet to kill 200.000 brits.

What about the US response to COVID

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think you'll find that it was perfect, just like the president at the time. :v:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

Isn't mobby Ukrainian himself? EDIT: I might have him confused with another poster with a similar name and AV.

Also lol at NHD, the guy who probated someone with "don't downplay war crimes so openly, it's scaring the people we're trying to convince that NATO is the greater evil.", coming here with that poo poo.
Yes though I'm posting here so hardly representative of anything. Which is why it's just a joke.

Taerkar posted:

My read is that China is trying to play both sides and isn't quite reading the room right, so to speak. I doubt they're going to give any noteworthy military aid to Russia however as there's likely little in it for them if they do that.
They're definitely on russia's side despite all the proclaimed neutrality, but yeah I don't think they'd want to get to involved there to avoid rocking the boat that earns that shitloads of money.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Own the libs!

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

CeeJee posted:

I get the impression the Uralvagonzavod crew was quite good at waiting for the new designs from the big brains at Morozov in Kharkiv, see what does not yet work, replace that with proven older tech and then deliver a 'new' tank quicker and cheaper.
But when they have to come up with their own T-95 or T-14 designed from scratch they put even more unproven cutting edge vaporware tech into it and end up infinitely worse. And now without another design bureau to do what they did and produce something that kind of works.

I can only guess from what dependable Russian journalism that I've read that Ural's had issues that date back to its inception and later its conversion to making machines of war. Uralvagonzavod is massive, owing in part to its merging with other factories that had to escape eastward during the Nazi invasion. It was originally designed to produce things like freight and agricultural equipment, then had to switch to producing things like tanks on a dime while trying to fight off their own extinction.

Ural just can't produce new stuff. They have trouble moving past their V12 diesel, and even then, they have difficulties producing it (though this could also be traced back to Obama-era sanctions as well). Even the engine in the T-14 is based off of an engine used in gas refining, which itself is based off of an infamously bad engine that the Nazis used in very limited capacity WW2. I don't know if that's mismanagement, inefficient use of space, not updating tooling, or what, but Ural has had some serious troubles going back to WW2 when it comes to this kind of thing.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I don't know if that's mismanagement, inefficient use of space, not updating tooling, or what, but Ural has had some serious troubles going back to WW2 when it comes to this kind of thing.

I keep investing in billion dollars yachts and multimillion foreign luxury real estate for me and my extended family, but still modern war machinery is not coming out from my production lines any faster!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Been going like this since 8 or 9 months now

https://twitter.com/TheScrubmaster/status/1639804277546778626

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Have you heard the word of our Lord and savior?

Idiots 4:15 "and so the god bot said unto it's servants,. "bakhmut is days from collapse as is the rest of the ukrianian army"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tbf, Ukraine is on the verge of an offensive for a very long time as well. News outlets like the edging game so much, and many people who like to follow the news also like to repeat it to each other. The speculation is really tiresome. Man I can't wait for poot poot to call this poo poo off. Or next poot in charge I guess. Can't see it ending any other way.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

lol, "Former US Marine Corps Intelligence officer Scott Ritter"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Sir John Falstaff posted:

lol, "Former US Marine Corps Intelligence officer Scott Ritter"

Yea, don't ever miss that one. Lmao

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Karate Bastard posted:

Tbf, Ukraine is on the verge of an offensive for a very long time as well. News outlets like the edging game so much, and many people who like to follow the news also like to repeat it to each other. The speculation is really tiresome. Man I can't wait for poot poot to call this poo poo off. Or next poot in charge I guess. Can't see it ending any other way.

Yeah? And the allies were on the verge of opening a second front for like two loving years. It takes time. It takes effort. And when the other guy is continuously losing more people and taking more people off of the front to concentrate on one or two battles, you are better off solidifying, and getting more weaponry marching than to attacking and winning a handful of pitched battles. Ukraine is trying to end the war or at least put it in the end stage. Which would be a push to the sea of azov in one go. Preferably also Melitopol and rapidly.

If you crane is able to take that much land and a few days there's no way that Russia will be able to flee with their leftover artillery. They will be at another level of negative supply gain.

We're talking an offensive that really has to succeed like Kharkiv x 5.

I mean if you did the math and said okay Ukraine's losing 100 to 200 people a day Rush is losing a thousand a day Ukraine's recruiting another 150 a day why not wait another few weeks / months for Russia to deplete another 10 to 30 to 40,000 people before we ride in like it's helms deep?

And I'm not saying I would support waiting weeks and months now and whole heartedly want this offensive to start demilitarizing the Russian occupation and demoralizing the remaining defenders.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I get that, but the wait is exhausting, even for me who's nowhere near it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The timing for the Ukraine offensive this year has been more about working around the mud season than anything else as far as I know.

Doing an offensive in unfavorable conditions just seems to be a bad move in general from what my armchair warming self can tell given how things went for the Russians in early 2022 and again now in early 2023.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

What about the US response to COVID

I'm not american, but that looked to me more as a complete unwillingness/inability by Trump & Co to do anything useful, as opposed to Putin's very active decision to just feed the entire nation of Russia into a shredder.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The timing for the Ukraine offensive this year has been more about working around the mud season than anything else as far as I know.

Doing an offensive in unfavorable conditions just seems to be a bad move in general from what my armchair warming self can tell given how things went for the Russians in early 2022 and again now in early 2023.
Hard to say with public information but timing your offensive for adverse weather would certainly be a huge self-own.

Also maybe waiting for more supplies, the tanks and planes are just now getting into the country.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And let's say Ukraine mounts the counter offensive of the century and thoroughly pushes out all the russians to the borders of 2014. Then what? They're still neighbors with doctor dipshit and the armies of the seven muppets. The gently caress you do with that?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Karate Bastard posted:

And let's say Ukraine mounts the counter offensive of the century and thoroughly pushes out all the russians to the borders of 2014. Then what? They're still neighbors with doctor dipshit and the armies of the seven muppets. The gently caress you do with that?

Security guarantees from the EU/NATO in line with the rest of the war? If they can get that far then they should have the breathing room to rebuild and produce their own long range capabilities domestically so that whatever escalation threats there are about providing long range assets are no longer relevant. At that point the conflict would just be Russia lobbing bombs to gently caress with them and theyd be free to do perform retaliatory strikes or preventative or whatever.

But yeah it's a super lovely situation no matter what the eventual outcome is. Pretty much an entire generation of Ukranians have lost the luxury of having a 'normal life' and gently caress Putin forever for this.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Karate Bastard posted:

Militarize the poo poo out of the border, rebuild your civilian infrastructure, operate under the assumption that Russia will build up to try again. Join whatever multinational organizations you can, be it the EU or NATO. And then, to the best of your ability, get on with your life. Realistically speaking the best they could do short of getting their old nukes back is joining NATO or the EU and then placing an international base right up against Russia, force them to truly make it an international war if they want to try again.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Everyone gets a roof and doors, beats riding in the bin of a dump truck.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
EU membership comes with mutual defense provisions. Seems like that would be the most straightforward way of making the invasion isn't repeated without immediately giving the various tankies the "but NATO expansion :qq:" talking point. It's also already in progress: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/articles/2023/03/13/7157854/

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Karate Bastard posted:

Nuclearize. Nobody invades someone with nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
re the re-positioning of Russian nuclear weapons:

"We are not going to hand over control of nuclear weapons. The US doesn’t hand it over to its allies. We’re basically doing the same thing (US leaders) have been doing for a decade,” Putin said.