Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay, so...

There's this old video game, that I can't remember the name of. It was a side-scroller and the plot had something to do with castles and saving a princess or some fantasy poo poo like that. Ninjas may have been involved too although I'm fairly sure the castle element at least was European style. I THINK it was a SNES game, but it may have been Sega Genesis.

Anyway,

The thing I remember most about this game is that it had these stages (I think one of them was the very first stage in the game) where you were outside running on top of a castle wall or something. I remember it because the background music sounds eerily similar to part of the lava stage music from Donkey Kong Country 2. The part that starts around the end of the 0:17 mark in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTEuL3jltQ0

Like ever since I was a little kid I remember playing DKC 2 and thinking the Hot Head Hop music was based on this other song, because they sound so similar.

Does anyone know the name of this other game I'm thinking of? This has been bugging me for YEARS.

This seems dubious, but just in case. https://youtu.be/CJbij1IobKY

Time Lord has music by same composer as DKC 2 and the first level is very much on top of a castle wall. That said, the music doesn't sound similar to me, so unless there's some deeper subtleties you are picking up then it's unlikely to be this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Does anyone know the name of this other game I'm thinking of? This has been bugging me for YEARS.

Kind of a long shot but was it any of the tracks from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTQJzngx-YI

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I found it, or something very close to it. Looks like it might be one of the Dragon's Lair games, maybe this one unless a similar track shows up elsewhere in the series.

Right about 9:40 in this video is something that sounds similar to what I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNE08AeEVA8&t=578s

The thumbnail also looks pretty similar to the stage I remember.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 1, 2023

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Your father and this Nickelodeon short film about new shoes.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Looking for a video clip I saw on YouTube, I think it's from a Korean game show or something. It has Jang Dongmin playing go-stop with an older lady and one other person. The goal is that they're not supposed to speak in Korean, only English, and they get to flick each other if they speak in Korean.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay, so...

There's this old video game, that I can't remember the name of. It was a side-scroller and the plot had something to do with castles and saving a princess or some fantasy poo poo like that. Ninjas may have been involved too although I'm fairly sure the castle element at least was European style. I THINK it was a SNES game, but it may have been Sega Genesis.

Anyway,

The thing I remember most about this game is that it had these stages (I think one of them was the very first stage in the game) where you were outside running on top of a castle wall or something. I remember it because the background music sounds eerily similar to part of the lava stage music from Donkey Kong Country 2. The part that starts around the end of the 0:17 mark in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTEuL3jltQ0

Like ever since I was a little kid I remember playing DKC 2 and thinking the Hot Head Hop music was based on this other song, because they sound so similar.

Castle of Illusion? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueZcpay-lQ&t=60s

surely one of us is right

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

An early internet sketch. It might have been posted in any of the "find old stuff" threads but i haven't found it after looking. It's a sketch probably called "lesbian boyfriend" Someone rings a doorbell and opens the door "let me introduce you to my lesbian boyfriend" and then there is a dancing montage. The guy opening the door says 'goddamn!" and that stuck for a reason.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

ElectricBlizzard posted:

An early internet sketch. It might have been posted in any of the "find old stuff" threads but i haven't found it after looking. It's a sketch probably called "lesbian boyfriend" Someone rings a doorbell and opens the door "let me introduce you to my lesbian boyfriend" and then there is a dancing montage. The guy opening the door says 'goddamn!" and that stuck for a reason.

Here you go.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Still as dumb as i remember, thanks!

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Looking for a video clip I saw on YouTube, I think it's from a Korean game show or something. It has Jang Dongmin playing go-stop with an older lady and one other person. The goal is that they're not supposed to speak in Korean, only English, and they get to flick each other if they speak in Korean.

This?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Yes! Thank you! I think there used to be a version that was subbed in english, the one I saw only had one little section of this. Excited to see the full version!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've been trying to complete my collection of dumb calculators for a long while and then 3 weeks after making this post:

Trabant posted:

It was a beautiful flop made in 1976 in five different styles and I'm missing the one circled in red -- the silver plated non-Jubilee edition:

I find it on eBay 🙃:

(pardon the poo poo photo)

The Collection... it is complete. I can rest.

No, wait, now I have to build the display case. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy gently caress, hell yeah!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Trabant posted:

I've been trying to complete my collection of dumb calculators for a long while and then 3 weeks after making this post:

I find it on eBay 🙃:

I'm glad to hear that, those look really neat

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Trabant posted:

I find it on eBay 🙃:

:toot:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Victory over all who doubted you!

Including yourself!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
another SA succes story :toot:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Including yourself!

I hate that guy! :argh:

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
This could be the most obscure thing you can imagine, because it involves either Canadian or British music videos, but:

It was a music video for a song that I immediately forgot the name of. It featured lots of fast-forwarded footage of a path running through a winter countryside, possibly next to a mountain, because I remember one side of the path being a steep hill covered in snow. There were also a lot of segments taken from classic cartoons, including one scene where a toy soldier steps forward and his heart comes out of his chest on a spring. It also had shots of the singer singing the song; I think that he had long blond hair. A possible lyric might have been "I lost the princess", but I'm not sure.

This would have been on Canadian music television in the Eighties, but I know that MuchMusic had a lot of content from British music television, so it might have been British instead.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Techno Remix posted:

Looking at it now I’m seeing clips of that game using the boat with a piece of hardtack, and I definitely remember getting hardtack in this demo/game. My memory isn’t great but it really is looking like it has to be Wrath of the Gods. Odd that it showed up as a demo on multiple CD-ROMs like that.

Cheers, thanks for the help!
The original poster might not see this reply to his question from about 6 months ago, but who knows?

It actually seems that you are actually remembering two separate games as one. The other game you were thinking about set in the past with a time traveler from the future who disguises himself is The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time. There was a demo of the game, set in ancient Atlantis before it sank, included on the Riven (sequel to Myst) CD-ROM . Which is probably what you played and mixed up with the older game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cannibal Smiley posted:

This could be the most obscure thing you can imagine, because it involves either Canadian or British music videos, but:

It was a music video for a song that I immediately forgot the name of. It featured lots of fast-forwarded footage of a path running through a winter countryside, possibly next to a mountain, because I remember one side of the path being a steep hill covered in snow. There were also a lot of segments taken from classic cartoons, including one scene where a toy soldier steps forward and his heart comes out of his chest on a spring. It also had shots of the singer singing the song; I think that he had long blond hair. A possible lyric might have been "I lost the princess", but I'm not sure.

This would have been on Canadian music television in the Eighties, but I know that MuchMusic had a lot of content from British music television, so it might have been British instead.

It isn't this, but I have to suggest anyway, Ray of Light by Madonna? (Obviously, not that. Sorry. I just saw it so clearly in my head from your description.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In the '90s, one of the tech companies had a little instrumental ditty that they used in their commercials, but I don't remember which one it was. I don't think it was Intel, because their four note theme hasn't changed. I'd like to find one of their commercials on Youtube if I can.

Here is an online sequencer of the tune: https://onlinesequencer.net/3288456. I think the actual tune was a bit faster and more legato than this, but it's pretty close.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
This one is incredibly annoying to me because 1: I saw it maybe 3 months ago and 2: it came from a link on these very forums and i can't remember which thread it was in.

It was a series of stories from a person who worked at Michaels during the great glue shortage of 2017ish, as all kids everywhere suddenly fell into an obsession with slime. The blog also followed them as they quit Michaels and went to work as a florist, picking up along the way some increasingly weird coworkers and customers.

İt had some really funny moments, like whenever they led slime-making classes or had crazy requests from customers at the florist job (usually from startlingly rich people with no idea of how flowers, uh, work). They also had a coworker who died of cancer and their telling of it made me tear up. Just, really good writing.

They had nice art for all the chapters of the Michaels story, and i think it was on the same website as some of their original fiction also. İt was definitely written out as full stories, not really blog posts.

İf anyone remembers even which thread this was linked in it would be really helpful, i accidentally deleted my history before bookmarking and now i miss it dearly

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

Bomrek posted:

This one is incredibly annoying to me because 1: I saw it maybe 3 months ago and 2: it came from a link on these very forums and i can't remember which thread it was in.

It was a series of stories from a person who worked at Michaels during the great glue shortage of 2017ish, as all kids everywhere suddenly fell into an obsession with slime. The blog also followed them as they quit Michaels and went to work as a florist, picking up along the way some increasingly weird coworkers and customers.

İt had some really funny moments, like whenever they led slime-making classes or had crazy requests from customers at the florist job (usually from startlingly rich people with no idea of how flowers, uh, work). They also had a coworker who died of cancer and their telling of it made me tear up. Just, really good writing.

They had nice art for all the chapters of the Michaels story, and i think it was on the same website as some of their original fiction also. İt was definitely written out as full stories, not really blog posts.

İf anyone remembers even which thread this was linked in it would be really helpful, i accidentally deleted my history before bookmarking and now i miss it dearly

This?
https://tablo.com/cannibalcoalition/the-glue-famine-2

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Story of an old opera singer, iirc he was originally a footballer who tried out as a laugh but the instructor/tutor/whatever thought he had potential and took him on as a student and he eventually became world famous.

Went something like first day he went to his mom and said happily that he thinks he's a tenor, then the next he goes back and says his instructor thinks he might be a baritone, then the third day he goes back nearly crying and says somberly that his instructor thinks he might be a bass. Since at the time, bass singers in operatic productions were almost exclusively villains or bit parts and never the lead.

I swear this was something I read, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out who it might be.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

deffo came from the currently running reddit relationships thread cuz i read it too. cant seem to find in my history but i'll look a little more

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wait ive got it it's https://tablo.com/cannibalcoalition/the-glue-famine-2
edit: oh lol someone else got it. thirteen mins ago

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
You are both brilliant, thanks for finding it!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A comedy (almost certain) where someone does a dramatic read of "hope.... doesn't float". I want to say it was animated but no googling has turned up anything on the usual suspects and even a few of the more off-beat ones

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think it was an bit on an old adult swim show (I think either sealab 2021 or space ghost) where someone asks a question and then there's a cut to a main character who goes "BOI-OI-OI-OING" a bunch of times. It was an incredibly stupid bit and now I can't get it out of my head until I can find the clip.

If it was Space Ghost I thought it would be with Moltar or Zorak. Aka

Space Ghost: Hey Zorak?

Zorak: What?

Space Ghost: BOI-OI-OI-OING

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

El Mero Mero posted:

I think it was an bit on an old adult swim show (I think either sealab 2021 or space ghost) where someone asks a question and then there's a cut to a main character who goes "BOI-OI-OI-OING" a bunch of times. It was an incredibly stupid bit and now I can't get it out of my head until I can find the clip.

It definitely wasn't SeaLab, but kinda reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

El Mero Mero posted:

was it doctor weird from athf, maybe in the rabbot ep?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

was it doctor weird from athf, maybe in the rabbot ep?

hmm, doesn't look like it. I dunno, maybe I was thinking about Beavis & Butthead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoS1MCF8AeI

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Looking for this animated short from the 1970’s (possibly 1960’s) that featured mostly abstract shapes moving an interacting in an urban setting. Lots of purple. Tone was one of fear, danger, strife. No words that I can remember. Just music. Lots of repeating sequences.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Seems like a Sesame Street bit but IDK much about sesame street to help

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looking for this animated short from the 1970’s (possibly 1960’s) that featured mostly abstract shapes moving an interacting in an urban setting. Lots of purple. Tone was one of fear, danger, strife. No words that I can remember. Just music. Lots of repeating sequences.

Sounds very Soviet block animation

Milo and POTUS posted:

Seems like a Sesame Street bit but IDK much about sesame street to help

What kinda messed-up sesame street did your parents show you :dogstare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never watched sesame street

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never watched sesame street

oh. well, 70's-80's Sesame street is a pretty good show to watch while drunk or high so its not too late to experience it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shbgRyColvE :catdrugs:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Pasketti posted:

oh. well, 70's-80's Sesame street is a pretty good show to watch while drunk or high so its not too late to experience it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shbgRyColvE :catdrugs:

i am 100% sober and 'arrivederci, frog' still killed me
i have the sense of humour of a 4 year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Killingyouguy! posted:

i am 100% sober and 'arrivederci, frog' still killed me
i have the sense of humour of a 4 year old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkOcm_XaWrw