Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

butt vs. hook

hook wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Looks pretty edible to me, great job!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

butt vs. hook

hook wins

… loving hell, that works? I don’t have to use the stupid claws and nearly stab myself?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks everyone for all the help! I’ve got a long way to go!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kalman posted:

… loving hell, that works? I don’t have to use the stupid claws and nearly stab myself?

It takes like 3 minutes just using two forks…..

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kalman posted:

Yeah this is the first time I tried it, got the tip from a friend. Literally took like 10 seconds on the lowest speed.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kaddish posted:

It takes like 3 minutes just using two forks…..

who gives a poo poo

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

who gives a poo poo

….the person almost stabbing themselves using claws to shred pork maybe?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Looks pretty good to me!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

nwin posted:

Ugh I’m going back down this rabbit hole and need advice.

I currently have an MES30 and boy i fuckin hate cleanin that thing. It smokes stuff great when you add a tube, but i might be in the same boat soon too.

Im probably not goin pellet grill since i already have a propane grill. Im probably leanin towards a stick burner, but i think what ill save in cleaning ill spend on wood and tending fire.

Sorry, i know this doesnt help you. Just wanted to commiserate on cleanin ol sparky short stack.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kalman posted:

Yes.
I saw in a commercial how the stand mixer can shred for you and it changed my life

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZombieCrew posted:

I currently have an MES30 and boy i fuckin hate cleanin that thing. It smokes stuff great when you add a tube, but i might be in the same boat soon too.

Im probably not goin pellet grill since i already have a propane grill. Im probably leanin towards a stick burner, but i think what ill save in cleaning ill spend on wood and tending fire.

Sorry, i know this doesnt help you. Just wanted to commiserate on cleanin ol sparky short stack.

I have a mes how do you guys clean it? What do you clean? I usually just put the removable pieces in the dishwasher

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Forgot to cover the smoker last night before bed and woke up to an inch of snow. Doh! At least my cover didn't blow away.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Doom Rooster posted:

Ask 10 goons about brisket technique and you’ll get 15 opinions

We are really due for a new thread title.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Now that I have like 15lbs of leftover smoked brisket does anyone have any recipes I can use this stuff on?

I was trying to find a smoked brisket pasta recipe but I didn’t see anything that looked fantastic.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I have a mes how do you guys clean it? What do you clean? I usually just put the removable pieces in the dishwasher

I usually have to scrub the racks and water/grease trap with sos pads. My dish washer just makes all these items rusty. I should buy new racks. The interior i hose out about once every 6 months and scrub where needed.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MarcusSA posted:

Now that I have like 15lbs of leftover smoked brisket does anyone have any recipes I can use this stuff on?

I was trying to find a smoked brisket pasta recipe but I didn’t see anything that looked fantastic.

Freeze it up in whatever portion size makes sense for your situation and just sub it in anywhere you might used shredded or braised beef

Tacos
Enchiladas
Sloppy Joes
Shepherd's pie
Chili
Scrambled eggs
Hash
Eat it with your bare hands out of the fridge at 3AM

Get a baguette and make the best drat French dip of your life

The world is your oyster

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Make beef tallow with your trimmings the thread said.

I just spent the last hour failing repeatedly to strain the small junk from the tallow for about half a cups worth :negative:

(It was my fault as I was trying to be too perfect. Plus the cheesecloth wasn't very effective at straining. And in futzing with it all the jar slipped out of my hand once. Just a comedy of errors lol. But I know what to do next time!)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Tacos, breakfast or otherwise
Pinto beans
Sandwich of a cheddar biscuit, brisket, blackberry jam, and candied jalapeños.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

MarcusSA posted:

Brisket ragu is a thing. It might be better over polenta or something though because it does retain some BBQ flavor profile which is a little odd with pasta.

But yeah, vacuum seal that poo poo, freeze it and eat it all the time with everything.

Looking forward to restocking the fridge when I do one soonish.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Make beef tallow with your trimmings the thread said.

I just spent the last hour failing repeatedly to strain the small junk from the tallow for about half a cups worth :negative:

(It was my fault as I was trying to be too perfect. Plus the cheesecloth wasn't very effective at straining. And in futzing with it all the jar slipped out of my hand once. Just a comedy of errors lol. But I know what to do next time!)

Rubber band a coffee filter onto a ball canning jar.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Rubber band a coffee filter onto a ball canning jar.

:aaaaa:

I didn't think of using a coffee filter -- thanks for the tip!

And holy poo poo putting some tallow in the wrap made for an incredible brisket flat. Also made a killer BBQ sauce from the drippings. Fantastic day of cooking and my kitchen is a MESS lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Brisket ragu is a thing. It might be better over polenta or something though because it does retain some BBQ flavor profile which is a little odd with pasta.

But yeah, vacuum seal that poo poo, freeze it and eat it all the time with everything.

Looking forward to restocking the fridge when I do one soonish.

Yeah I saw the ragu recipe gonna try that. Making some brisket pasta dish tonight and tacos tomorrow.

Definitely need a vacuum sealer at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This recipe is pretty banging. I’d add more asparagus but it was easy and great.

https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/pulled-brisket-bowtie-pasta/

quote:

Mix a saucy brisket with bowtie pasta, asparagus and grape tomatoes. This Pulled Brisket & Bowtie Pasta recipe is a dish really fantastic for reinventing leftovers.

I added the cold brisket to the veggies and then mixed in the pasta to cover everything in the brisket juice / oil.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I've found this recipe to be a very good chilli recipe. The sauce base is what makes it so good, so you can also tweak everything else to personal preference.

I would recommend adding the meat toward the very end of the cooking otherwise it will just disintegrate due to already having been smoked.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

We are really due for a new thread title.

Slow Smoking Meat: 10 goons, 15 opinions

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok I didn't replace the controller yet, but I am doing my first smoke of the year with these reduced to sell chuck steaks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Currently resting

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

Currently resting

How long did you smoke those?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZombieCrew posted:

How long did you smoke those?

About five hours. They came out fine, I was surprised the unit was holding temperature honestly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've been doing some looking online and I'm not sure if what I am reading is correct or not. I want to smoke some ribeyes tomorrow. They are a little over an inch thick and about 1lb each. Everything I read said it would take about an hour to get to med-rare (ish) does that sound right? I'm still trying to get the timing right on things.

Any advice? I was going to smoke them for a bit then turn the grill up and sear them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah that’s about right. Don’t go by time though - use a thermometer and pull it a few degrees under your target temp. When you sear them, make sure whatever you’re using is hot as hell.

A pellet grill doesn’t get hot enough in my opinion. My Traeger only goes to 500F, for example. Some grills have an open fire pot for direct heat though.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 1, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Yeah that’s about right. Don’t go by time though - use a thermometer and pull it a few degrees under your target temp. When you sear them, make sure whatever you’re using is hot as hell.

Oh yeah sorry definitely have a probe in each steak.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I've been doing some looking online and I'm not sure if what I am reading is correct or not. I want to smoke some ribeyes tomorrow. They are a little over an inch thick and about 1lb each. Everything I read said it would take about an hour to get to med-rare (ish) does that sound right? I'm still trying to get the timing right on things.

Any advice? I was going to smoke them for a bit then turn the grill up and sear them.

I do a smoke and reverse sear for ribeyes. Get it nice and smoky at as low as you can get it. Which is 200 to 225 for me and smoke until 100 F internal. Pull and let rest while cranking it up as high as you can go. Once the grill is super hot quick sear both sides, pull and let rest.

Uses a fair amount of charcoal (I’m using a slow and sear so about one chimney) but gives great results.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve smoked them before and used the oven too (prior to using the grill to sear). I don’t notice a huge difference. Cast iron to sear also works well too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smoked ribeyes came out bangin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

:swoon:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Looking very a good

Should have taken a picture but smoked thick bone-in pork chops yesterday that I'd dry brined 48hrs and the hard seared it

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Looks nice. I like smoking picanha too if you haven't tried that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Looks nice. I like smoking picanha too if you haven't tried that yet.

Thanks I’ll try that next Sunday!