Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Appeal Flap. gently caress this lady

Here's how Bernie can still win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully this thread will start treating their betters with more respect now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Here's how Bernie can still win

Bernie Sanders ftw

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Kangaroo court.

I forgot - are you in the greater LA area? the LA Tenants Union and Legal Aid Foundation might be interested in knowing about your judge and his ruling, if nothing else than to be better prepared when assisting / advising tenants who literally can't afford to lose

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

hopefully this thread will start treating their betters with more respect now

i'm going to sue myself for wanting to quit my job

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Mar 26, 2023

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There's a fake Radio Shack operating near where my mom lives in WNC.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

lmao at this thread full of cucks suggesting he pay up $10,300 because it's too hard to fight

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I think he said he only owes her $300? Obviously if it’s $10k+ that’s another matter.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

There's a fake Radio Shack operating near where my mom lives in WNC.

Does it sell actual electronic components instead of shilling cellphones?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think he said he only owes her $300? Obviously if it’s $10k+ that’s another matter.

its 2023, we should quit acting like this stuff is myth and legend when it's posted in this actual thread

the California small claims court damage limit is $10,000

Goon sued for their rightful damages and the landlord made up a giant number to countersue with that equates to $10,000

the result of this was a judgement that neither party gets their way except for the goon paying the landlord $300 in court fees and stuff

if this is appealed it goes back to a different judge who re-decides on the damages to be awarded. If this judge decides the landlord is correct in wanting $14,000+ they can award them $10,000. The $300 has to be paid no matter what. $10,300.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

$10k is just the max award he could receive so it's not actually that much that he's out but I believe she stole the whole security deposit

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

lmao at this thread full of cucks suggesting he pay up $10,300 because it's too hard to fight

it’s only $300 not $10,300

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

lmao imagine being this confident that a random US appellate judge will rule against a landlord.

I mean go ahead and appeal if you're fully able to emotionally accept and materially afford the worst possible outcome, and you have a second opinion from a CA housing attorney saying this is a good idea

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

$10k is just the max award he could receive so it's not actually that much that he's out but I believe she stole the whole security deposit

she did yes

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I want more hilarious content so I think you should appeal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

home ownership has its issues but godspeed to renters these days
i haven't had to deal with a landlord in a decade

Home ownership is terrible, the guy who owns the house is a lazy POS who never fixes anything and springs for the cheapest option whenever it's unavoidable. That being said, it's still better than renting.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

I want more hilarious content so I think you should appeal.

appeal and right before the gavel drops in the landlords favor deliver a stirring sorkin monologue that causes some of the weaker people in the court to cry and sways the judge to somehow award you the house

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

its 2023, we should quit acting like this stuff is myth and legend when it's posted in this actual thread

the California small claims court damage limit is $10,000

Goon sued for their rightful damages and the landlord made up a giant number to countersue with that equates to $10,000

the result of this was a judgement that neither party gets their way except for the goon paying the landlord $300 in court fees and stuff

if this is appealed it goes back to a different judge who re-decides on the damages to be awarded. If this judge decides the landlord is correct in wanting $14,000+ they can award them $10,000. The $300 has to be paid no matter what. $10,300.

Didn’t read

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
All those judges own a big rubber stamp that says "the landlord is right" so they can maximize their judicial efficiency.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I legit don’t understand how tech bros are impressed w either teslas or bmws

They either don't own a beemer yet or haven't owned it long enough to realize they suck.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bernie Sanders ftw

This

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

STRONG SAFE STABLE

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1640010685605203970

Oh okay.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1640011068553527297

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2023/03/26/pittsburgh-downtown-safety-business-golden-triangle-gainey/stories/202303190041

Gonna be real fuckin funny when it comes out that the recent news and social media blast in favor of banning black and poor people from downtown and putting homeless people in incinerators was astroturfed by commercial landlords.

https://www.wtae.com/amp/article/zappala-kennywood-safety/43409986

I saw the DA is telling kennywood, a wonderful amusement park, that he’ll shut them down if they don’t add insane security measures because of a shooting last year. sad to see where I grew up turning full chud :( poo poo I’m gonna own a house there when my mom dies, anyone want a lovely ranch house?

also lol this guy:
In 2021, Zappala sent an email to his prosecutors instructing them not to offer plea deals a well-known black attorney who had criticized the criminal justice system. Shortly thereafter, an Allegheny County Common Pleas judge said he would no longer accept plea deals from Zappala's office, saying it was wrong to treat defendants differently based on who represents them.

the democrats folks!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

zetamind2000 posted:

Let them eat number

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'd listen to your lawyer over a bunch of goons tbh but 10k risk is 10k risk

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Pay the $300 stupid, the odds of you getting assigned a landlord judge piece of poo poo with a vendetta against tenants who will force you to pay the $10k with an additional $5k because it’s 11:45 and he’s hungry is non-zero.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Judges are the worst.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the american legal system is so cool lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Pay the $300 stupid, the odds of you getting assigned a landlord judge piece of poo poo with a vendetta against tenants who will force you to pay the $10k with an additional $5k because it’s 11:45 and he’s hungry is non-zero.

After sleeping on it I still agree with tired me last night that I am going to pay the $375.

edit: I am going to hike around Mt Rainier today and be happy knowing that the landlord lady will be miserable today and every day for the rest of her miserable sad life.

The others are correct in this thread. She’s probably extremely angry at the judgement and genuinely believes we owe her $14,500 and the court system hosed over the little landlord again!!!

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Mar 26, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dont forget to add a tip

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wow a nice 25% tip

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
considering how 2008 led to widespread cases of judges kicking people out of houses on behalf of banks so quickly that some people who never missed a payment or didn't even owe a given bank any money got kicked out of their home too, i'm gonna go ahead and guess that as renter scum your odds of finding a judge that won't relish loving you over are pretty slim

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the american legal system is so cool lmao

the possibilities are limitless

get a judge that cares about the exact letter of the law? goon wins
get a judge that thinks appeals are bullshit and the law can't be questioned? landlord wins
get a conservative judge? landlord wins
get a liberal judge? landlord wins
get a judge that hates the shirt of either party? the opposite shirt wins

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

considering how 2008 led to widespread cases of judges kicking people out of houses on behalf of banks so quickly that some people who never missed a payment or didn't even owe a given bank any money got kicked out of their home too, i'm gonna go ahead and guess that as renter scum your odds of finding a judge that won't relish loving you over are pretty slim

At least one of the drivers behind that scheme was punished by being made secretary of the treasury

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

large court cases are just as arbitrary. it’s a topic I’ve seen big underwriters present on.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I would appeal because of the sunk cost fallacy.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

being on a jury is a great experience everyone should do.

it'll make you realize that if you're accused of something you never ever ever want to have a jury trial

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

cool av posted:

being on a jury is a great experience everyone should do.

it'll make you realize that if you're accused of something you never ever ever want to have a jury trial

Works fine for at least some demon crackers (see Ammon Bundy, Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.). :shrug:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Horseshoe theory posted:

Works fine for at least some demon crackers (see Ammon Bundy, Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.). :shrug:

scum protects scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Goons loved jury nullification up until they saw it being used to release these scumbags.