Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Are there any good grips or cool accessories for a 2DS XL? It's kind of my go-to emulation machine now, but my hands cramp easily anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Scuba Trooper posted:

Are there any good grips or cool accessories for a 2DS XL? It's kind of my go-to emulation machine now, but my hands cramp easily anymore

Get the cheap plastic one on AliExpress (or if you're in a hurry, Amazon) - works wonders for my n3DS XL. It does make it quite large though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Last day to get your purchases done! :retrogames:

I only just learned a few days ago that Badge Arcade gives you usable themed icons for 3DS apps and I wish I'd learned about this years ago.

I also regret learning about it at all... :shepspends:.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

decided to buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U since it was $3 and I still have my full save from 3DS from when I did everything solo and who knows maybe there'll be a resurgence.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Last day to get your purchases done! :retrogames:

Did all mine last night and ended up with < $1 in my shop account, feeling good about that. Now to see how much of it I'll actually play!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Which Phoenix Wright games have DLC and how far into the games do I have to get before buying the DLC becomes an option?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xenomrph posted:

Which Phoenix Wright games have DLC and how far into the games do I have to get before buying the DLC becomes an option?

Both the Fifth and Sixth game have extra episodes (one each). You don't have to progress in-game to buy them, but they are only playable after certain portions of the story.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

dual destinies and spirit of justice both have dlc and you can buy it in each after you beat the first case.

edit well then ignore me and listen to the poster above me

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Man I was gonna buy one or two things just because but the shop is a nightmare to navigate and I haven’t been impressed by any of the discounts. So straight to home brew it is. I haven’t touched my 3ds in years but I’m going to get to work on a lot of the games I missed across ds/3ds

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spoderman posted:

dual destinies and spirit of justice both have dlc and you can buy it in each after you beat the first case.

edit well then ignore me and listen to the poster above me

How much is the DLC and is it worth getting?

Otherwise I think I'm done buying from the eShop, I got everything I wanted from my wish list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenomrph posted:

How much is the DLC and is it worth getting?

Otherwise I think I'm done buying from the eShop, I got everything I wanted from my wish list.

The DLC cases are fantastic. :yarr:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright is the greatest moment across all AA games, and that's a very high hurdle to clear.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What is the “Asinine Attorney” DLC, and is it worth getting for $8 for the pair?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Small parody cases. Much less than a full case, maybe like 30 mins each. probably can just watch those on YouTube tbh

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hmm I have 2 bucks left in funds. Any game on sale for $1.99 worth getting last minute?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

El Burbo posted:

Hmm I have 2 bucks left in funds. Any game on sale for $1.99 worth getting last minute?

theres always themes too

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just for my full understanding, will in-game DLC no longer be purchasable (for example, Phoenix Wright stuff or Super Smash Bros characters) once the shop shuts down? Or is that considered separate from the main eShop?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Xenomrph posted:

Just for my full understanding, will in-game DLC no longer be purchasable (for example, Phoenix Wright stuff or Super Smash Bros characters) once the shop shuts down? Or is that considered separate from the main eShop?

I dont think it's considered separate, not even Nintendo's website (i dont understand why they still wouldnt let you buy through the web even if the eshop is closed but you can still download your purchases)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any compatibility issues with original DS carts played on the 3DS family?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shiroc posted:

Are there any compatibility issues with original DS carts played on the 3DS family?

There's some extreme edge cases that are obvious when you think about them at least?

Most have perfect compatibility.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Well I hosed up and added bucks to my switch account, which is not linked to my 3rd Wii U account. So no Pokémon Bank for me. On the flip side, I have no issue hacking my new 3DS xl and putting gba games on it. I’m assuming it will run those Roms and Super Nintendo roms just fine

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The New 3DS won't have a problem running SNES stuff, yeah. There are games the official Virtual Console emulator won't run, but you can create forwarders to other SNES emulators which should run them fine.

GBA should also run fine, with the caveat that sleep mode won't work, period, either the "close the console" kind or the in-game "select it from a menu" kind that some GBA games had.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

LionArcher posted:

Well I hosed up and added bucks to my switch account, which is not linked to my 3rd Wii U account. So no Pokémon Bank for me. On the flip side, I have no issue hacking my new 3DS xl and putting gba games on it. I’m assuming it will run those Roms and Super Nintendo roms just fine

I've held off on jailbreaking my n3DS XL and have built up a nice library/backlog of games over the last few years, but since the eShop is now closed I don't really see any reason not to hoist the Jolly Roger.

(Also gonna sell those carts, moving overseas in a few months and the less to bring with me, the better.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The New 3DS won't have a problem running SNES stuff, yeah. There are games the official Virtual Console emulator won't run, but you can create forwarders to other SNES emulators which should run them fine.

GBA should also run fine, with the caveat that sleep mode won't work, period, either the "close the console" kind or the in-game "select it from a menu" kind that some GBA games had.

But you’ll still be able to save in game progress I assume? That’s all I need

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LionArcher posted:

But you’ll still be able to save in game progress I assume? That’s all I need

Everything else than "keep the game running with the screen off" mostly works.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Anyone care to share a list of must-have indie titles < $5? Kind of going for 3DS exclusive. I'm one of the weird ones who loves the 3D effect.

Some notable titles I got in the past, are:

• Pushmo
  • Ketzal's Corridors
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Shovel Knight

e: Does the Virtual Console version of Zelda II have a 3D effect?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Both Crashmo and Might Switch Force 2 are great follow-ups. Believe Might Switch Force 2 is on fire sale.

Only the 3D classics have 3D effects. None of the Virtual Console releases had any extra 3D effects added.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Palmtree Panic posted:

Both Crashmo and Might Switch Force 2 are great follow-ups. Believe Might Switch Force 2 is on fire sale.

Only the 3D classics have 3D effects. None of the Virtual Console releases had any extra 3D effects added.

Thanks for the suggestions and clearing that up!

Some I purchased today:

• 80'S OVERDRIVE
  • Retro City Ransom
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (never played any of these)
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force Blast Ball Demo
  • Steamworld Dig

I'm considering Brave Dungeon, but I'm not really sure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just checked the eshop, demos are no longer downloadable but game patches ARE downloadable. No idea on DLC

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Vita outlived the 3DS you hate to see it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

hatty posted:

Vita outlived the 3DS you hate to see it

Viva la Vita

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

I just checked the eshop, demos are no longer downloadable but game patches ARE downloadable. No idea on DLC

At some point over the weekend I swiped every demo that was still available lol. I figure that once I get into 3DS hacking, I can at least use said demos to figure out games that interest me before :filez:ing them.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Xenomrph posted:

They are redownloadable if you had in the past. Patches are too. No idea how in-game DLC works if you purchased in the past but since deleted. I fired up Curtain Call just to see what happens when you go to the DLC store in the game menu, it does connect to servers but the songs and character lists are just empty. Wish I bought just 1 song/character to see but was left with $0.53 in balance and plan to just get the switch version as well.

Also, so glad I fired up Stretchmo and was able to purchase the pass for that in time. Really enjoying the Pushmo games, they need to make more for the Switch and beyond. This event has led me to enjoy some games I have overlooked in the past, or wish I participated in some game experiences in the past at times I was playing other consoles more.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 28, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are ya'll buying games for a console who's shop is about to close on a console that is simple to hack? (honest question, may be a reason I haven't thought of)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Some people just like owning games. :shrug:

I just bought the DLC for Spirit of Justice myself, if I decide I absolutely must play a 3DS or Wii U game that hasn't been ported somewhere else at some point in the future, :filez: is totally on the table for me, personally.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But you don't really own a digital game, it's just a license to download it

anyway, probably a can of worms, not going to go into it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bowmore posted:

But you don't really own a digital game, it's just a license to download it

anyway, probably a can of worms, not going to go into it
You don't really own a physical game either, just a license to use the disc/cartridge.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's moot anyway since the store's down and nobody's ever going to buy from it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I assume devs still got their cut from the sales, so don't mind paying, esp since I don't plan to put CFW on my main N3DSXL, will save that for another 3DS/2DS. But ya, from now on it's obviously carts or cfw.