Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Martman posted:

I feel like facehuggers could maybe work on things that don't have faces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

Even the final script calls it a cargo hold my dude.

I’m referring to the movie ‘Alien’, not a separate document.

People referring to scripts and novelizations to ‘explain’ the films have made many errors in the past.

In the movie Alien, the cave is referred to as a cave.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
SMG's disingenuous gish-galloping to practice for debate class is getting real old. You gave up the game when you started saying "spiders" and "jokey," my guy.

Alchenar posted:

The Nostromo is a big container ship

It's a tug, technically, and IIRC it detaches from the refinery (which is like six times larger than the Nostromo) to land on LV426. It is like 250m long though, so yeah you could call it "big," but if the schematics that made it into Isolation as a walkable map are to be believed, there isn't much going on in the actual crew space.

Thanks for reminding me that this exists. *shudder*

You make some really compelling points here about the extremely unlikely coincidence of the xenomorph's compatibility with not just mankind but our environment; it fits our 'biological chauvinism' (as Sagan would say) too perfectly. I still do agree with Xenomrph about the 'necessity' of the prequels, though - honestly, maybe they could have done it justice, but I also really don't like the David Did It route that they chose.

Also, suppose I tend to have less faith in filmmakers' 'visions' than most, but I really don't think Ridley Scott is forward-thinking enough to have planned it out like this when he made Alien. Which takes me back again to the 'necessity' of Prometheus as part of the Alien universe: It's a cash grab.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People referring to scripts and novelizations to ‘explain’ the films have made many errors in the past.

You should watch the movie, it's pretty good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I got the impression that David (while of course extremely full of himself) was copying what he had learned from the mural/stuff in Prometheus and whatever was left on this planet and on the engineer ship they commandeered. It never occurred to me watching the movie that it was trying to say he personally invented the xenomorph.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mister Speaker posted:

SMG's disingenuous gish-galloping to practice for debate class is getting real old. You gave up the game when you started saying "spiders" and "jokey," my guy.

One of the problems with discussing nerd-appropriated media is that there ends up being this whole newspeak about “Yautjas” and “Hammerpedes” and whatever.

“Space Jockey” is not only a terrible name for the character; this stuff sows confusion (e.g. Cameron saying “what laid the eggs???”, when the pods in Alien are more plantlike and seem to have a kind of rudimentary nervous system).

That stuff is taken from script drafts and notes on concept art, not the actual movies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the movie the guy referring to the cave as some sort of cave has no idea what he is looking at.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

In the movie the guy referring to the cave as some sort of cave has no idea what he is looking at.
He also calls the things that look like eggs eggs. There's gonna be a contrarian debate on whether they're actually eggs now, based on retcons from a prequel that came out decades later? JFC.

We might as well start asking who the other two Nostromo crew are that we can clearly see on screen walking away from Parker and Brett but who are never named or interact with anyone else aboard.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, suppose I tend to have less faith in filmmakers' 'visions' than most, but I really don't think Ridley Scott is forward-thinking enough to have planned it out like this when he made Alien. Which takes me back again to the 'necessity' of Prometheus as part of the Alien universe: It's a cash grab.

He didn’t plan it that way, and he acknowledges it in his introduction to the Prometheus art book.

Neo Rasa posted:

I got the impression that David (while of course extremely full of himself) was copying what he had learned from the mural/stuff in Prometheus and whatever was left on this planet and on the engineer ship they commandeered. It never occurred to me watching the movie that it was trying to say he personally invented the xenomorph.
In the movie novelization, David says that’s literally what happened. However, the author of the novelization has acknowledged that he read the script, said “wait, what? That’s stupid”, deliberately changed it, and Fox allowed it. In interviews Ridley Scott has said that David made the Alien.

I think the movie itself gives ample wiggle-room for David to be wrong (even if he doesn’t know it) while still being thematically appropriate for his character as a gothic horror villain.

A reminder that the same people who say “it’s a cave because a character says it is, even though it visually isn’t one” are also the same people who say “Dallas doesn’t know what he’s talking about when he says the Space Jockey is fossilized” when that’s used as evidence for the Derelict and its contents being very old.

:thunk:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 26, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“nerd-appropriated media”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alchenar posted:

I feel like a professional deep space mining team would know what a cave or an old rock/fossil is.

Xenomrph posted:

He didn’t plan it that way, and he acknowledges it in his introduction to the Prometheus art book.

In the movie novelization, David says that’s literally what happened. However, the author of the novelization has acknowledged that he read the script, said “wait, what? That’s stupid”, deliberately changed it, and Fox allowed it. In interviews Ridley Scott has said that David made the Alien.

I think the movie itself gives ample wiggle-room for David to be wrong (even if he doesn’t know it) while still being thematically appropriate for his character as a gothic horror villain.

A reminder that the same people who say “it’s a cave because a character says it is, even though it visually isn’t one” are also the same people who say “Dallas doesn’t know what he’s talking about when he says the Space Jockey is fossilized” when that’s used as evidence for the Derelict and its contents being very old.

I tried looking this up and the bit of an interview where he talks about it is pretty interesting, I can get his reasoning honestly, but I agree the movie itself isn't explicit enough to make it final. I like the idea that David his own head created it since he's so obsessed with creation in general from the getgo in these movies but that he didn't like literally invent the formula or whatever and they've been around before.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like a professional deep space mining team would know what a cave or an old rock/fossil is.

They're not a mining team, they're tug operators. Their job is to move heavy cargo around space and deliver it without damaging the multi billion dollar asset. They have a science expert because they are high end tug operators in space but they are way, way out of their depth from the very beginning and that's part of the story.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's referred to as "a cave or something", and then the same speaker corrects themselves to "some kind of storage area". Get that weakass bullshit out of here.

And, again, I must point out that your initial pile of bullshit relied on multiple provably false statements, every one of which has been shown to be incorrect, and you're now down to trying to argue semantics on third-order references as if this will somehow chain up to everything you said being correct. You are a child pouting that if broccoli is gross THERFORE you should get a pony.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

Characters are infallible geniuses when they agree with SMG and incompetent buffoons when they do not. This is very straightforward film analysis I don't get why you're having so much trouble with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tapping the *don't engage with SMGposts* sign for the umpteenth time.

Cmon guys, it's their MO. Just say cool and move on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Characters are infallible geniuses when they agree with SMG and incompetent buffoons when they do not. This is very straightforward film analysis I don't get why you're having so much trouble with it.

Ohhhh THAT’s why it doesn’t make sense, silly me.

Also check your PMs

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alchenar posted:

They're not a mining team, [...] they are way, way out of their depth

lol

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

TBF if the Alien novelization stating the egg room was on the ship is considered canon, then human-to-egg morphing would have to be as well. For the record, in the film I think the egg room is on the ship.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Space Jam posted:

TBF if the Alien novelization stating the egg room was on the ship is considered canon, then human-to-egg morphing would have to be as well. For the record, in the film I think the egg room is on the ship.

In the expanded universe, it is - it’s just another form of reproduction. Egg-morphing and Queens aren’t mutually exclusive.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

In the expanded universe, it is - it’s just another form of reproduction. Egg-morphing and Queens aren’t mutually exclusive.

Ah, neat. I didn’t know that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

We’ve been over this before (repeatedly, naturally) but it’s because the xenomorph is cool and good, and I like seeing it and want to see more of it. “Hey, look, we know you love your old dog very much, but we’re going to take your dog away… but look at these other different dogs! You like dogs, right??”

Nah bro, I want the potential to see my old dog anywhere, any time - restricting it so I can only see my dog if I go to specific places ain’t gonna cut it.

In AvP2, xenomorphs reproduce without using eggs or facehuggers. They actually do something even more gruesome!

Mister Speaker posted:

You make some really compelling points here about the extremely unlikely coincidence of the xenomorph's compatibility with not just mankind but our environment; it fits our 'biological chauvinism' (as Sagan would say) too perfectly. I still do agree with Xenomrph about the 'necessity' of the prequels, though - honestly, maybe they could have done it justice, but I also really don't like the David Did It route that they chose.

We could ask ourselves, say, how could xenomorphs prey on a world of cockroaches? And that's not impossible to answer in a way that's aesthetically and thematically satisfying. Maybe entire masses of cockroaches get scooped up and melted together in a special kind of acid/jelly that causes them to accrete into a xenomorph. Just because eggs and facehuggers don't cut it doesn't mean the xenomorphs can't. Eggs and facehuggers are clearly an adaptation for parasitizing creatures with faces, such as the space jockey.

If the xenomorph actually is some kind of cosmic evolutionary pinnacle, the logical endpoint of all development such that we could rightly fear to encounter it anywhere, then it's not going to be limited to a particular predictable and extremely interruptible lifecycle.

Edit: Or, even granting that the lifecycle itself is somehow teleologically necessary, it won't necessarily have attained that lifecycle at the same time in every separate thread of parallel evolution!

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 26, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Space Jam posted:

If a later film had said 'actually it's a chamber beneath the ship that was part of a structure the ship had landed on' I wouldn't scowl and say that's inconsistent with what I saw in Alien, but I agree I think it's a chamber on the ship. The chestbursted pilot and the acid hole through the deck is direct foreboding of what's going to happen.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure which one would be worse: a chestburster, or something akin to SCP 439 (the Bone Hive) that turns you into their queen-factory.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Let's see some pictures of this cave/cargo hold. I'm gunna need some ancient aliens level of evidence analysis

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

Let's see some pictures of this cave/cargo hold. I'm gunna need some ancient aliens level of evidence analysis

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The derelict isn't seen completely but there's bits that could serve as a cargo hold of some kind

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It does look flat to the ground (though I don't remember if that's an artifact of how the camera is rolled there and the astronauts are actually treating it as though climbing a hill) so it may well be an underground complex that the derelict landed/crashed onto.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Big enough for a 1970s The Who concert in there!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Someone several pages ago was asking about reprints of the original Aliens comic series that had Hicks and Newt, looks like there's a new reprint that just came out that has fewer stories in it (it's just got the core "original trilogy" and some ancillary stories from Dark Horse Presents) but is substantially cheaper than the Omnibus edition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Hmm, yes, this framework is an interesting one.

Alien, Aliens, Alien Isolation - Cool AND Good
Alien3 - Good but not Cool
Prometheus - Cool but not Good
Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant - neither Cool nor Good

I'm not sure how the thread didn't end with this post. Nailed it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Because prometheus is cool and great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay thinking about it yeah I'd switch Aliens and Prometheus on that list.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure how the thread didn't end with this post. Nailed it.

It did end. Now we’re on the express elevator to hell (see above posts)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mister Speaker posted:

...do you think the only alternative to 'have planned it out' is 'cash grab?'
it can't just be, 'had more ideas later?'

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FilthyImp posted:

Tapping the *don't engage with SMGposts* sign for the umpteenth time.

Cmon guys, it's their MO. Just say cool and move on.

doingitwrong posted:

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

FastestGunAlive posted:

It did end. Now we’re on the express elevator to hell (see above posts)

the unblemished sanctity of the cinema discusso alien megathread must be preserved!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Okay thinking about it yeah I'd switch Aliens and Prometheus on that list.

Switch them? Aliens is Cool AND Good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Aliens is only better than 2 alien movies tho

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aliens is just the Alien version of

At the end of the day, though, I love horror and I'm a bit bored by action. Aliens never clicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every alien movie is good