Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Khanstant posted:

what is "same time" here because my Shivan brought them to 0, my other dude hit em negative, and then it healed with my last dude to positive. just the whole combat damage phase?

damage all happens at once in one step (including the life gain resulting from lifelink damage), in Arena you just see the attacking creatures go one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, now I know, I think I would still lose that match but I had another line of play to not lose my board in what I incorrectly thought was lethal.

Edit: wish you could see the decklist of opponent when they defeat you. I can't find this Mondrak BRW deck. Probably 200 dollars worth of lands I don't have anyway but it looked fun from the 6 cards I saw

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 26, 2023

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My bronze rear end just beat a Mythic 97% fella in the second-to-last premiere draft round.

It's a good feeling.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just don't understand SIR draft. Vampires are hands down the best deck, so I tried that. But now everyone else knows that too, so there were 7 other people trying to draft RB. So I had some good red cards, and opened Arlin pack 2, so I switched to RG. Then everyone else switched off vampires, and I started getting good vampires again. So of course I had to pick them. Now I have 2 half-decks, some strong cards, and no curve and not enough synergy. Should I just never try to draft vampires?

Before, I liked trying to draft UG, but that deck is too slow for this format. What is the narrow line between "way overdrafted" and "bad"?

I don;'t have a draft because 17lands likes to turn off at random, but heres the deck. Probably going to just retire it because wtf do I even do with it

also doesn't help that I've literally never drafted this format before and get dumped straight into gold. I need to spend a bunch of gems to nuke my rating back to bronze so I can learn how to draft it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I found the deck I was looking for. Mardu Midrange. Tier 3 deck with sub 50 winrate, requires 50 bucks of wildcards for me to make. I'll wait but I want to play a Mondrak deck sooner or later.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Alright, now I know, I think I would still lose that match but I had another line of play to not lose my board in what I incorrectly thought was lethal.

Edit: wish you could see the decklist of opponent when they defeat you. I can't find this Mondrak BRW deck. Probably 200 dollars worth of lands I don't have anyway but it looked fun from the 6 cards I saw

You mentioned "the hosed up planeswalker that makes two of itself", which I guess is Ob Nixilis, and Fable, so it might be something like this deck? Looks like about $500 worth of lands, lol.

e: read it wrong, "only" $170 of lands

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah lol that's the one. I "only" need 17 rares and 3 mythics to make it. If this wasn't the first time I was hearing the word Mardu as a guild I might blow the bucks on it since it's mostly lands I need and those will help me make other decks. I just don't know this pairing, or how much it's lands will carry to the other out of reach decks I wanna try.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

A Moose posted:

I just don't understand SIR draft. Vampires are hands down the best deck, so I tried that. But now everyone else knows that too, so there were 7 other people trying to draft RB. So I had some good red cards, and opened Arlin pack 2, so I switched to RG. Then everyone else switched off vampires, and I started getting good vampires again. So of course I had to pick them. Now I have 2 half-decks, some strong cards, and no curve and not enough synergy. Should I just never try to draft vampires?

Before, I liked trying to draft UG, but that deck is too slow for this format. What is the narrow line between "way overdrafted" and "bad"?

I don;'t have a draft because 17lands likes to turn off at random, but heres the deck. Probably going to just retire it because wtf do I even do with it

also doesn't help that I've literally never drafted this format before and get dumped straight into gold. I need to spend a bunch of gems to nuke my rating back to bronze so I can learn how to draft it.

Cut green and just put in some more bodies as filler, 2 captains and a bunch of 2 and 3 drop vampires are enough to win games, +1/+1 first strike is just a ridiculous tribal boost.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Khanstant posted:

Yeah lol that's the one. I "only" need 17 rares and 3 mythics to make it. If this wasn't the first time I was hearing the word Mardu as a guild I might blow the bucks on it since it's mostly lands I need and those will help me make other decks. I just don't know this pairing, or how much it's lands will carry to the other out of reach decks I wanna try.
Mardu is three colors, that's not a "pairing". Any three color deck will obviously need a more expensive manabase to be consistent. If you want to play the deck but lack the lands, just build it with basics and lose sometimes?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a pairing of Boros with a shot of Black :p

and good point, I actually have enough mediocre duals by now to replace these good ones if I want, sprinkling in some basics too for good measure. Won my first match with it already, I dig it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Have had ok luck with boros, but it's heavily dependent on getting good removal.

Kind of surprised all these cards are only legal in Historic and Explorer, but without any way to filter for casual games, it's more or less pointless playing them there. Vampires is a fun deck, but yeah, it's gonna fold to a deck ramping to Ugin.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'filtering for casual games' is such a subjective metric that i'm amazed at how often it gets brought up

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

'filtering for casual games' is such a subjective metric that i'm amazed at how often it gets brought up

It's mostly just shorthand for "pair me up against someone who I can easily beat"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah I mean I don't know how they'd filter for power level as much as like "play against people also using cards from XX sets".

Lone Goat posted:

It's mostly just shorthand for "pair me up against someone who I can easily beat"

Maybe, but in this case it's more like I want to try to play a deck based on the SIR set mechanics, but it's just too underpowered compared to what's being played there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People in general blame deck strength more than they should. I play jank in ranked and I still win a lot.

Like yeah deck strength matters but over a small sample size you're still going to do fine if you're good at the game. Just chill out and play whatever you want, seriously

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kitchen table magic supposedly accounts for the overwhelming majority of magic played on paper, I don't think it's surprising at all. It's fun not having format restrictions and not having to worry some freak picked out every good card ever printed and stuffed them together because of insatiable winlust. It's whatever stupid poo poo you and your buddies had laying around not good enough to be used for normal formalized play.

The trouble is putting that in Arena, which is strictly about formal formats and structured play, and nobody is your buddy with janky rubberbanded decks in their glovebox. I don't think they'd want to even bother making a progress-ignored format that might give people a chill way to play with 0 pressure to spend or play formal formats to be opponent for spenders.

It's easy to think of fun ways to create a pseudo kitchen table in Arena, and plenty of ways to go about arbitrating what is or is not playable or how.

They could also let us create our own cubes for others to draft with us with, and all sorts of other fun things that just aren't going to be prioritized or considered since they could be counter productive to selling gems and packs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The big difference betwen arena and paper is that it's broadly the same cost to make a tip top meta deck as it is to make a janky creature tribal deck or whatever, so the meta decks are a lot more prevalent.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
There is no real downside to losing in ranked besides the additional stress people put on themselves. You don't lose rank once you've reached a level and gaining 2 pips per win up till gold mean that even with a absolutely abysmal winrate you reach gold. At the moment there is no difference in the decks being played in play and ranked queues and I think there should be or what is the point of having 2 different queues?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They don't have any control over what people play in the relevant queues though?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Once a week Pity Draft. Draft from packs of bad cards that never saw even budget deck play in a meta. Costs -1000 gold but you have to keep the cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know what it is about this current mono blue deck that is so completely infuriating. I think it's the fact that it's so linear and the matches play out the exact same way every single time. No other deck in recent memory makes me so, so fuckin tilted as that smug goddamn djinn

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

There is no real downside to losing in ranked besides the additional stress people put on themselves. You don't lose rank once you've reached a level and gaining 2 pips per win up till gold mean that even with a absolutely abysmal winrate you reach gold. At the moment there is no difference in the decks being played in play and ranked queues and I think there should be or what is the point of having 2 different queues?

I definitely see weirder stuff sprinkled in play queue over ranked. Plenty of meta and budget versions too, but noticeably more decks trying to make something weird work, test homebrew, or force a tribe. Or sometimes the quest completing deck of someone spamming lands and no threats or all the cheapest draw cards of a specific colour.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

They don't have any control over what people play in the relevant queues though?

They could. If tomorrow they said the top 20 played cards were now banned in play queue nothing stopping them.

Play queue could be pauper or momir or whatever WotC wants.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

precision posted:

Like yeah deck strength matters but over a small sample size you're still going to do fine if you're good at the game. Just chill out and play whatever you want, seriously

I'm not tilted about it by any means. It's just a bit wonky to me that they introduced a new set with a bunch of fun cards - but the only place you can play it outside of draft is in formats where they might struggle to keep up.

thespaceinvader posted:

The big difference betwen arena and paper is that it's broadly the same cost to make a tip top meta deck as it is to make a janky creature tribal deck or whatever, so the meta decks are a lot more prevalent.

It's the same issue Cockatrice has, to some degree. I love being able to make janky decks out of any and all cards, but it feels like bringing a butter knife to a tank fight when your opponent has lethal on turn two and you're looking down at a hand of bear tribal wondering why you just wasted five minutes. Less "those cards aren't fun" and more "this wasn't really much of a game for either of us eh"

Khanstant posted:

They could also let us create our own cubes for others to draft with us with, and all sorts of other fun things that just aren't going to be prioritized or considered since they could be counter productive to selling gems and packs.

Yeah see that would be incredible, even if they charged 1000 gems or whatever per player to enter. Not having every set be draftable all of the time seems like a necessary evil to make sure the draft events going on have full queues, but idk. Doing that once a month with buds would be dope.

Khanstant posted:

Once a week Pity Draft. Draft from packs of bad cards that never saw even budget deck play in a meta. Costs -1000 gold but you have to keep the cards.

poo poo drafting can be fun. Take out your shoebox full of unplayables and draft with friends - enjoy the format where a card with any text on it at all is effectively a bomb.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

precision posted:

I don't know what it is about this current mono blue deck that is so completely infuriating. I think it's the fact that it's so linear and the matches play out the exact same way every single time. No other deck in recent memory makes me so, so fuckin tilted as that smug goddamn djinn

I don't hate it as much as you but why I sometimes bail anyway is they'll spend all this time on their turn not playing anything, but still holding phases like they're deeply considering it, before eventually passing, and then they do it again for each step of your turn. It's almost a relief if they just counter something and you don't have to watch them slowly draw and discard and scry for 5 minutes on your turn.

It should be played as fast as Monored Aggro but everyone turns into rip van winkle when playing it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

It should be played as fast as Monored Aggro but everyone turns into rip van winkle when playing it

What do you mean? there’s a bunch of decision trees on most turns past turn 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lmao at the people who don't believe you get hellqueued when immediately after switching to my turn 1 thoughtseize deck i immediately match up into three different varieties of red aggro

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao at the people who don't believe you get hellqueued when immediately after switching to my turn 1 thoughtseize deck i immediately match up into three different varieties of red aggro

do you think the game just decided it liked those players and they deserved to queue up against a thoughtseize deck or what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

do you think the game just decided it liked those players and they deserved to queue up against a thoughtseize deck or what

it was a joke based on prior discussion, hence the "lmao"

edit: and it also ties together the thoughtseize discussion from the paper thread, that's what in the business they like to call a "callback"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What do you mean? there’s a bunch of decision trees on most turns past turn 2

There's decisions to make in monored too, doesn't mean you gotta spend 2 minutes mulling it over slowly in your mind, 10 times by turn 4. Plus it's not a secret when someone is playing monored and pretty clear what will shut it down.

And I don't know how you explain them taking a long time to play a land and pass. I'd wager you can tell of it's monoblue or azorius Soldiers on turn 1, playing just an island, based on how long it took. If they played it fast it's Soulja boys, if they played it like it's a game winning or losing decision then it's snakes and genies.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it was a joke based on prior discussion, hence the "lmao"

edit: and it also ties together the thoughtseize discussion from the paper thread, that's what in the business they like to call a "callback"

really no reason to be this much of an rear end in a top hat unless you're intentionally trying to make me regret all the times i tried to give you draft advice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

really no reason to be this much of an rear end in a top hat unless you're intentionally trying to make me regret all the times i tried to give you draft advice

uh you're the one that responded to one of my posts with a "are you dumb" reply

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

poo poo drafting can be fun. Take out your shoebox full of unplayables and draft with friends - enjoy the format where a card with any text on it at all is effectively a bomb.

Honestly if we're wishlisting queues I really want an unranked Bo1 draft queue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

uh you're the one that responded to one of my posts with a "are you dumb" reply

i responded to your post with 'this is why hellqueue complaints are silly; look at the flipside of it.' i wasn't calling you dumb, i was responding to what looked like a complaint that people make constantly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i responded to your post with 'this is why hellqueue complaints are silly; look at the flipside of it.' i wasn't calling you dumb, i was responding to what looked like a complaint that people make constantly

like no, i'm not intending to be an rear end in a top hat, i actually am trying to explain myself because every time i post in this thread it feels like people reply with the worst interpretations of what's going on, like when i posted about a bad draft beat and the replly was "why did you do that thing, that thing is dumb" when right on that page i had posted my draft and explained why i thought i ended up in that bad position

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Monored isn't a hellqueue deck btw, it's a delightful fun and fair deck. I will never counter you, look at your hand, make you discard anything, or commit blasphemy and make anyone's health go up. I play only the cards god gave me, I give thanks and am grateful for them, and do not cheat by drawing more. My sweet baby birds and jovial goblin kings mean nobody any harm, and shower opponents with kisses and hugs.

And is there a more fun mirror match? You see those two baby birds out on both sides of the board and youre in grade school with your new light up Velcro sneakers about to race and show Nick his new lightless lacy Reebok's are only slowing him down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

There's decisions to make in monored too, doesn't mean you gotta spend 2 minutes mulling it over slowly in your mind, 10 times by turn 4. Plus it's not a secret when someone is playing monored and pretty clear what will shut it down.

And I don't know how you explain them taking a long time to play a land and pass. I'd wager you can tell of it's monoblue or azorius Soldiers on turn 1, playing just an island, based on how long it took. If they played it fast it's Soulja boys, if they played it like it's a game winning or losing decision then it's snakes and genies.

I mean if you recognize a pattern, there’s probably a reason.

Mono blue is a deck with a game plan that changes mid game, but where that switch happens depends on the context of the battlefield and their hand. Can you afford to play your djinn unprotected? Can you afford not to? Is dumping spells in your yard more important than card advantage (comes up all the time)? Can you afford to bounce a two drop when a resolved Sheoldred would wreck you? And many of those early decisions affect the outcome of the game.

And unlike a typical midrange deck, much of its interactive spells are counters, so you’ve got to make up your mind ahead of time whether to commit and potentially waste mana next turn, versus a removal spell that you could play whenever.

Not that it can’t be played well and quickly, but it’s not surprising that the average player is going to take their time.

Aggro decks absolutely aren’t skill-less, but especially in the opening turns the plays are usually more obvious.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Monoblue is also a deck that's dirt cheap to make, so a lot of people will get it recommended as their first constructed deck, so you get a double whammy of complex to play deck + inexperienced player

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Monored isn't a hellqueue deck btw, it's a delightful fun and fair deck. I will never counter you, look at your hand, make you discard anything, or commit blasphemy and make anyone's health go up. I play only the cards god gave me, I give thanks and am grateful for them, and do not cheat by drawing more. My sweet baby birds and jovial goblin kings mean nobody any harm, and shower opponents with kisses and hugs.

And is there a more fun mirror match? You see those two baby birds out on both sides of the board and youre in grade school with your new light up Velcro sneakers about to race and show Nick his new lightless lacy Reebok's are only slowing him down.

Hellqueue is a specifically brawl thing, not a general queues thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Monored isn't a hellqueue deck btw, it's a delightful fun and fair deck.

Another Rhystic Studies classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5oc_9ObMzc