Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, "step back" sounds to derogatory, but I meant it's a more traditional design. You can easily imagine FNV as a 2D game released in the 90s, like, well, Fallout. While the engine and assets probably allowed Obsidian to make a great game in a short timeframe it never feels quite right cause both the engine and assets never feel at home. Bethesda builds huge interconnected worlds where no matter where you go you find something to do and write your own story. Usually poorly written story, but it's yours. FNV allows for a better written branching story, but it's not an open narrative and it's all connected to a strong central narrative. So while FNV is a better game the fact that it's using Fallout 3 as a base highlights how many things it abandons, and how more traditional it is, it's a step back in a sense that doing a classical painting is a step back from doing an expressionist one. Also that plenty of vocal RPG fans value about the genre - good writing, clear branching paths, ending slides. I think plenty of people didn't really notice much smaller world size and detail, lack of living world, random encounters etc.

I am playing through Dead Money for the first time in 10 years and here I see deva who are finally comfortable with the engine. It also helps that the setting is much more appropriate for all the Fallout 3 "apocalypse was last month" assets as they caused a dissonance in the Mojave. They also shoved so many new mechanics in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

I never posted about it at the time but I just watched an episode of Star Trek Enterprise with Roger Cross (Ulysses) in it and it reminded me it might be worth to share.

2 years ago when I was playing through FNV and my partner was watching, we ended up with a new addition to the family - a Mojave morph ball python. I had just started Lonesome Road at the time and my partner was pretty hyped at the affair to find out what all this mysterious other courier business was all about. So I'm about a third of the way through LR and we go to pick up this snake, and we're struggling for names.

"Well he's a Mojave morph and FNV is based in the Mojave... let's name him after an FNV character", my partner says. Fuckin nerd.

So we run through names - Mitchell, Arcade, Caesar (this nearly won but "Caesar's a oval office, we're not naming our snake after a oval office"), Lanius...

Ulysses!

We settled on Ulysses. Cool name, cool introduction to the character. Few days later, after we've brought him home, I complete Lonesome Road going the speech route, talking Ulysses down. My partner throws her hands up "that's it?! Why the gently caress did we name our noodle after this loser?!"

Anyway the short version of this silly boring story is we have a cute li'l snake guy named after a silly boring character in FNV. thank u for naming my child, ropekid.

He's a bit bigger than in the pic now.

(btw if I've inspired you to get a snake, don't buy a Mojave morph from a breeder without finding out about their practices. Mojaves are very badly inbred and you don't want to be part of the problem!) e: it's actually spider morphs that are badly inbred, so check if your breeder is breeding spider morphs. don't buy from spider morph breeders.

That’s a high quality snake and Ulysses is a good name for him. Ulysses in FNV kinda sucks but there are plenty of cooler Ulysses out there, like that snake.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i like ulysses but he’s also a character that had so much buildup that it’s hard for anyone to live up to that. it’s a shame that we didn’t get him in either of his previous intended roles but i can still appreciate him for what he is

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The issue with characters like that is that they make feel dialogue options extremely limited. When a character acts all mysterious and metaphorical you want an option to ask him to cut the BS. Something similar happens in Dead Money too, in a way: characters you meet don't trust you and you can threaten and force them to do what you want, but there's no real reason for it and the conflict feels forced.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I liked how passing a skill check in dead money would lead to dean hating you for being a smartass. That should happen more often in rpgs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I liked how passing a skill check in dead money would lead to dean hating you for being a smartass. That should happen more often in rpgs

Yes but rpgs should also hide whether or not a dialogue option is a skill check reduce people gaming the system via minmaxing

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Only one that comes close is Alpha Protocol, where characters would remember eight hours down the line whether they hated you for being obnoxious

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Pentiment* does something similar, where your character can have a background in studying logic, but almost invariably if you use that background in conversation you end up just annoying the person you're talking to rather than accomplishing anything useful.

*Also by Obsidian, and of which there's an LP currently going on here.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arc Hammer posted:

Yes but rpgs should also hide whether or not a dialogue option is a skill check reduce people gaming the system via minmaxing

I use a mod for this in New Vegas, and it's great. Usually you can deduce whether a speech option will work by reading it, but sometimes not.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't remember if The Outer Worlds let you do that (different leads) but Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny both let you hide dialogue option tags. To be honest, doing that by default is a bad idea for a mainstream title, every single game that does it ends up being accused of not having enough dialogue options/skill influence because people don't notice that some of the options were triggered by their own build.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

Who was lonesome road meant to appeal to other than Chris avallone.
Half Life fans.

That's why I loved it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Who was lonesome road meant to appeal to other than Chris avallone.

I mean, I wanted to solve the mystery of this other Courier you hear about everywhere in the main story and all the other DLC.

Also LR made ED-E an actual character worth caring about.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I wanted to solve the mystery of this other Courier you hear about everywhere in the main story and all the other DLC.

I would have done that but good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yes, but have you considered that you got to see a Trog Tunneler ragdoll a Deathclaw?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tunnelers were so stupid

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Holograms are stupid. I've just spend and embarrassing amount of time on the last room of Dead Money with 3 holograms. I've only found 1 emitter and had to use a grenade to take it out. And Elijah's plan is based on using holograms to destroy NCR. I appreciate the game gives you an opportunity to tell him it's dumb cause it feels like rest of this DLC was based on characters being intentionally vague and MC not being allowed to ask real important questions.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

ilitarist posted:

Holograms are stupid. I've just spend and embarrassing amount of time on the last room of Dead Money with 3 holograms. I've only found 1 emitter and had to use a grenade to take it out. And Elijah's plan is based on using holograms to destroy NCR. I appreciate the game gives you an opportunity to tell him it's dumb cause it feels like rest of this DLC was based on characters being intentionally vague and MC not being allowed to ask real important questions.

I thought the secret Elijah ending has the hologram thing actually work though you’d think after the first few encounters people would figure out to shoot the emitters

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you've ever gotten into a gunfight with wastelanders you know that tactical fighting is not really their strong suit. They have a tendency to strafe and fire blindly

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"lol all you have to do to defeat the invincible ghosts that shoot you with energy weapon grade lasers is to ignore them, run by them and attack hidden emitters while they shoot you in the back and you're choking to death in a weird fog, what a stupid plan Elijah"

I guess it'd be stupid if Elijah had to ask you to wait to fight while he physically walks the emitter over to the battle site. :v: Pretty nightmarish and effective defense for the average wastelander.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mean Elijah says outright the holograms and poo poo were extraneous, he wanted the infinite vending machines (and also the death gas but mostly the vending machines)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I mean Elijah says outright the holograms and poo poo were extraneous, he wanted the infinite vending machines (and also the death gas but mostly the vending machines)

You're misremembering. Everything in the Madre is integral to his plan.

quote:

The Holograms here kill trespassers. That's what I want. Dump one of those emitters in the middle of any battle, there's no defense. It's like holding light in your hands. Can't fight it... only watch it burn. Just one is a portable army. Arm it - anyone stands against you, dies.

The Cloud allows me to wipe the slate clean. Collars ensure cooperation. Holograms - defense. The Vending Machines provide... everything else. The Sierra Madre can kill nations and build them, using its technology with the right applications

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The emitters work better as battlefield technology if you remember the vending machines would give him access to pretty much an infinite supply of them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Put a vending machine programmed to dispense free liquor and cigarettes in the middle of the battlefield with a hologram nearby... Soon the enemy troops will be climbing over mountains of dead comrades to get to it

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

oh jay posted:

You're misremembering. Everything in the Madre is integral to his plan.

Yeah. This plan would make a certain sense if this was a standalone story in a generic post apocalyptic setting. But we know a lot about the old world already. When you fight holograms, evade the cloud and use vending machines you dismiss these horrors and wonders as gamey mechanics, you don't think "drat, these vending machines could have solved the world hunger issue" or "these holograms and the cloud could destroy whole armies". The fact that Sierra Madre turns out to have the best tech in the world (even more useful than Big MT) and you've already seen all the treasures Elijah seeks is such an odd twist. It's as if Call of Duty game ended with bad guy cloning the hero because of his ability to regenerate health. Apparently bad ending says Elijah's plan works, but I prefer to ignore it and am glad the courier can tell him he's a psycho.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

NikkolasKing posted:

someone here posted that ED-E’s ending was too obvious and i can’t really argue with that but at the same time the way the additional animations just give that li’l guy so much character and i cant help but to care for him

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ilitarist posted:

It's as if Call of Duty game ended with bad guy cloning the hero because of his ability to regenerate health.

The tenth Friday the 13th film starts off with a premise remarkably like that. Jason Voorhees has been captured and is about to be put into cryonic suspension, because he clearly has incredible regenerative powers and studying him will advance medical science.

(It goes somewhat wrong and he ends up being frozen but not studied in the 21st century. I forget why, but I'm guessing everyone who knew about the plan was dead and everyone else just thought having him frozen was good enough. Movie's set on the space station where he's thawed out four hundred years later.)

Contains the line: "Guys, it's okay! He just wanted his machete back!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also the crew distracting Jason with holograms of horny teenagers. "We love drugs and sex!"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Yeah. This plan would make a certain sense if this was a standalone story in a generic post apocalyptic setting. But we know a lot about the old world already. When you fight holograms, evade the cloud and use vending machines you dismiss these horrors and wonders as gamey mechanics, you don't think "drat, these vending machines could have solved the world hunger issue" or "these holograms and the cloud could destroy whole armies". The fact that Sierra Madre turns out to have the best tech in the world (even more useful than Big MT) and you've already seen all the treasures Elijah seeks is such an odd twist. It's as if Call of Duty game ended with bad guy cloning the hero because of his ability to regenerate health. Apparently bad ending says Elijah's plan works, but I prefer to ignore it and am glad the courier can tell him he's a psycho.
If Elijah had been less busy freaking out over HELOS-1 he would've realized the wasteland already possessed its own miraculous technology because you can throw together a few pieces of poo poo to make a medical device called a 'Doctor's Bag' that will instantaneously mend every single one of your limbs no matter how mangled they were; you can be restored from the brink of death mid-firefight by drinking and eating sixteen different things at once; and the common bottlecap violates all known laws of physics by having volume but zero mass.

Or alternatively, he could be rambling about how your much-maligned pipboy gives you the ability to stop time by looking at it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.pcgamer.com/chris-avellone-accepts-seven-figure-payment-to-settle-libel-suit-with-those-who-accused-him-of-sexual-misconduct/

That's a lot of money.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

woops

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The actual statement doesn't say he was paid the settlement, just that there was one involved.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Avellowns

fake edit: I don't really have a horse in the race and am not willing to take sides because I don't know enough, I just wanted to say Avellowns. Avellowned for balance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a lot more complicated than that. Most every trial lawyer who's looked into it just go lol at the idea Avellone got that much.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

God drat the pedal steel solo in Lone Star rips.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cattle in the old corral the open range all 'round
Sunlight and the smell of new mowed hay
I remember though I've wandered how much happiness I'd found
Still i wish that I could be back there today

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Lone Star is the foremost reason to listen to Mojave Music Radio over Radio New Vegas. Easily the best song in the game. If only MMR had an announcer...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

It seems... really weird that they're just retracting their statements like that

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thinking about revisiting goat RPG Fallout New Vegas, but I am gonna play it on Xbox series. So, does the Gamepass version include all the DLC? Also I love that this thread is still going. It’s the reason I fell in love with the game in the first place.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Is there any mod that changes the way ammo case recovery works for revolvers?

Doing a playthrough with revolvers only and only finding/crafting ammo and it only makes sense to me that when using a revolver, you'd be able to keep every spent casing since they're retained in the cylinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

Thinking about revisiting goat RPG Fallout New Vegas, but I am gonna play it on Xbox series. So, does the Gamepass version include all the DLC? Also I love that this thread is still going. It’s the reason I fell in love with the game in the first place.

It does not include the dlc.