Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

The whole thing is extremely stupid. If a person who doesn't own any part of the game can do that the whole DMCA system seems to be broken.

It functions as intended. As a legal bludgeon to be used by those with better access to lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Okay, my second attempt to play Shadow of War is going better than the first. I wanted to beeline the story until I can recruit captains, but already am getting distracted by vendetta missions and just screwing around. Focusing on unlocking the main skills as advised, and I'm having a much easier time with combat this go around. It also helps that this time I'm paying attention to what all my little gauges and bars mean. I am supposed to be grading a bunch of math tests this weekend, but I stayed up until 4 AM playing instead, slept for about 3 hours, then woke up and immediately booted up the game again. It's good, I might actually finish it this time.

Also, here's a key for Chorus. 3PPGJ-VLJ4L-ZQIPX

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 26, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chorvs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm playing the open beta and enjoying Diablo 4! It's comically grim but I kind of like the deckard Cain fella I'm hanging out with and all the monster splattering is present and correct.

Performance is terrible in the open world with a 3070 and a recent amd chip though, they need to fix that. My skeleton friends are teleporting around like slasher movie baddies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I'm playing the open beta and enjoying Diablo 4! It's comically grim but I kind of like the deckard Cain fella I'm hanging out with and all the monster splattering is present and correct.

Performance is terrible in the open world with a 3070 and a recent amd chip though, they need to fix that. My skeleton friends are teleporting around like slasher movie baddies.

Yeah, performance was pretty atrocious for me as well even with DLSS put to ultra performance. Every now and then something seemed to click and I actually got nice frames, but the moment I step outside and see snow it drops severely. The gameplay itself looks pretty fun so far, I've tried Barbarian and Druid so far and they've both got fun stuff going on. I do hope there'll be some sort of offline mode on release though, I don't particularly want complete randos loving around in my quests.

Also I've ventured into the official forums and of course one of the first complaints I see is that the female druid is too fat and the female necromancer is too skinny. loving gamers. :chloe:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All the necros look basically like harrow the ninth which is honestly all I could ask for.

Skeletons are a little op, starting with a literal volley ball team of them seems excessive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That's got to be the server lag. I just finished getting up to level 20 and it was smooth the entire time. The beta on Friday yeah in the main city the skeletons were like 4 fps. Running a 3060Ti and a i9 9900k.

Overall seems like a big step sideways from D3, hopefully not going to fully into Lost Ark/Path of Exile pseudo-mmo hell.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I had awful performance, despite it not really looking much better than 3. Like I guess there's more detail, but the camera is so pulled out that it doesn't really matter, in regular gameplay.

Also, having lots of other online players appear in town, so you end up stuttering around and having unresponsive UI, feels like uhhh a bad idea?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It looked really really muddy. Their TAA implementation is garbage and you can't turn it off, and then it crashed my GPU and refused to work again.

Also it's not a Steam game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Turning textures to medium fixed all my performance issues. 1440 at 144 fps easily.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

pentyne posted:

Overall seems like a big step sideways from D3, hopefully not going to fully into Lost Ark/Path of Exile pseudo-mmo hell.

There are all kinds of small red flags in the game that I'm afraid will turn into into exactly that. I'm also not feeling the skill tree at all, for me that's a step down from D3 so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait do people still expect good games from blizzard?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Perestroika posted:

Also I've ventured into the official forums and of course one of the first complaints I see is that the female druid is too fat and the female necromancer is too skinny. loving gamers. :chloe:

Just say she used her vagina bones to create a minion, gamers will be falling over themselves to slam pick

Jack Trades posted:

Also it's not a Steam game.

Oh fr?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

wait do people still expect good games from blizzard?
I don't expect anything but I wouldn't mind a new diablo I or diablo II

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mystes posted:

I don't expect anything but I wouldn't mind a new diablo I or diablo II

Didn't they literally just make a new Diablo 2?

mystes
May 31, 2006

explosivo posted:

Didn't they literally just make a new Diablo 2?
I mean a new game more in the spirit of diablo 2 rather than something like diablo 3, which I hated, not a remastered diablo 2. Although I would literally accept a remastered diablo 1.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If anything Diablo 4 is more like 2 than 3, probably why I don't like it as much. I think 2 had a lot of old-school RPG cruft that I wasn't sad to see gone, and now welp.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you want a Diablo 2-like you have endless amounts of copycat games to pick from.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gonna keep banging the "Play Last Epoch" drum, especially directed towards anyone who came out of the D4 beta feeling underwhelmed. It's still an early access title but they just had their big multiplayer update and it's honestly in really good shape right now for half the price of Diablo 4.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The arpg genre has to get over Diablo 2 instead of remaking it over and over. If anything D4 doesn't change enough

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Diablo 2 was way too sedate of a game for me to consider it an "action" rpg. Rift-speedrunning paragon level Diablo 3 was fun but it's also fundamentally a different kind of game, where you're playing a high-apm bullet hell and if you get hit more than like three times in between your potion cooldown you explode.

And every Diablo 3 build eventually mapped roughly to the base functions you have in Hades and it turns out I thought Hades was a lot more fun than either.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got Wolcen based on the low price point and some cautious praise in the thread and nobody even mentioned the *hilarious* costuming of some of the female characters. It was so stupid it was almost nostalgic.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Runa posted:

And every Diablo 3 build eventually mapped roughly to the base functions you have in Hades and it turns out I thought Hades was a lot more fun than either.

confirmed: Diablo needs to be gayer and hornier

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm really not a fan of Diablo 3's progression style where it's up to you to decide when to go up in difficulty, and you know you're ready when the next difficulty level feels identical to the way the current one felt a little while ago. In Diablo 3 once you've "unlocked" your character, the feel of the build never really changes, with the power and difficulty creeping upward in lockstep until you hit the breakpoint of finding your next set, then repeat until you quit. I much prefer a game where you have to progress through a fixed set of challenges of increasing difficulty, and your responsibility is to build a character that can keep up with that progression.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hwurmp posted:

And... more incestuous?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volte posted:

I'm really not a fan of Diablo 3's progression style where it's up to you to decide when to go up in difficulty, and you know you're ready when the next difficulty level feels identical to the way the current one felt a little while ago. In Diablo 3 once you've "unlocked" your character, the feel of the build never really changes, with the power and difficulty creeping upward in lockstep until you hit the breakpoint of finding your next set, then repeat until you quit. I much prefer a game where you have to progress through a fixed set of challenges of increasing difficulty, and your responsibility is to build a character that can keep up with that progression.

If I'm being honest I feel like I get similar feelings of progressing through challenges from, well, run-based games. Roguelites et al. And I feel they do a better job of refining that feeling than Diablo 2 did on a structural level (because they're condensed versions of this idea where the entire arc of progression can be done in under a night, maybe several runs per night), while also many of them feel like better action games in cases action-based gameplay is wanted.

There's a reason I bring up Hades whenever I also bring up Diablo. There might not be an intentional throughline in design but I think it's an interesting further development of ideas gained from refining older examples.

Hell, the idea of getting consistent but generally pretty relevant and meaningful upgrades as you go feels like an alternative development of the loot slot machine that usually spits out trash but sometimes there's something good there. This just gets rid of most of the trash management aspect of those games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HopperUK posted:

I got Wolcen based on the low price point and some cautious praise in the thread and nobody even mentioned the *hilarious* costuming of some of the female characters. It was so stupid it was almost nostalgic.
Big fan of how the bruiser armour at high level is just straight-up "hey, remember titty windows?"

The game serves some wonderful 2000s vibes with its choices and aggressively regional accents.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

explosivo posted:

Gonna keep banging the "Play Last Epoch" drum, especially directed towards anyone who came out of the D4 beta feeling underwhelmed. It's still an early access title but they just had their big multiplayer update and it's honestly in really good shape right now for half the price of Diablo 4.

I’m extremely EA adverse but also arpg hungry and always hear good stuff about it. How does multiplayer work? What’s the style to it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm also really enjoying Last Epoch. It doesn't have the insane build variety of PoE but it feels like it has more than enough while also having loads of smart changes that just make playing the game more fun. The crafting especially is awesome, best I've seen in the genre.

I also really liked Diablo 4, though. They're two very different takes on the genre but feel like you could easily play them at the same time or switch back and forth as seasons/leagues or whatever drop.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m extremely EA adverse but also arpg hungry and always hear good stuff about it. How does multiplayer work? What’s the style to it

Up to 4p drop-in/drop-out, loot is instanced so everyone gets their own stuff and don't have to fight for drops. You can share drops with party members as long as they were present when it dropped so it's easy to help a friend out if you're getting gear they can use.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

explosivo posted:

Up to 4p drop-in/drop-out, loot is instanced so everyone gets their own stuff and don't have to fight for drops. You can share drops with party members as long as they were present when it dropped so it's easy to help a friend out if you're getting gear they can use.

Cool. Cheers

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I haven't posted a review in some weeks (no problems back then), but I did two days ago and it was completely mangled: all paragraphs just disappeared and it jumbled all text together. I edited once, twice, deleted it, submitted again, deleted it, submitted again this time on the browser, and no change. "No line breaks, no paragraphs, screw your review."

Is this a known issue or just Gaben loving with me specifically for my desire to let my Steam friends know about cool games?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I haven't seen that one specifically, but the Friends list/page has been hosed on and off all weekend for me. I feel like there's some backend maintenance and/or errors going on post-sale.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh good it's not just me. I've been getting a lot of 502 or whatever "oopsie something hosed up" type errors on Steam community stuff for the last few days.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

King of the Castle is pretty much summed up as "the board game King's Dilemma, but if instead of the king's decisions being made by clockwork, mechanical systems, they were controlled by a streamer/the friend in your group who actually owns the game, while the rest of you plot to backstab them." There are a lot of... questionable stylistic decisions going on at the edges here which confuse me as to its target audience (the game is obsessively fanatical about asking you for your pronouns, but one of the consistent decisions that you can select to have as an option for the King with respect to his barons/counts voting is an obvious Trump joke, even if it's designed to annoy everyone when you use it), but the underlying game itself seems fairly well designed. It's only going to be $5, and really that's only for the one person who owns the game, since everybody else can connect in via the game's private website or Twitch.

Realistically this thing looks like streamer bait of the highest caliber. But it's also decent enough that I can't just dismiss it out of hand? I dunno.

Actually managed to find a group to play King of the Castle with on a weekly basis, and if you have a chill, middling-sized group, most of the minor stylistic annoyances fade away and it's a good time. We did notice that if you restart from the beginning each time you start to see some of the same events pop up repeatedly, but we're hoping that if we just keep on playing the Dynasty things will diverge in an interesting way. It's really, really hard for the Monarch to win though. Usually things fall to pieces and it's just a question as to whose plans accelerate the fastest before it all burns down. Supposedly there's a patch coming out to address this and give the Monarch more of a fighting chance, but on the other hand it is sort of the nature of the beast.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 27, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Crystal Party chat:

This has been more successful at holding my attention than anything else I've played in the last month. A few very minor gripes that I'm hoping other people can offer help with.

I upgraded my thief to a fencer, but almost all of the fencer powers need a rapier and almost all the thief powers need a dagger. Is there a way to have access to both powersets?

There are a bunch of magic classes, but they have so few spell casts that it feels like you have to save their magic for the bosses, and even then the trial boss and the one before it both had enough health that I ran out of mp for my casters, so except for a few edge cases where you need a multi-target power, it feels like non-magic dps classes are stronger.

Party comp right now is a fighter/monk. This is a really strong combo, especially once you get aegis since the monk has a self-heal-over-time that out heals the damage from most encounters and the fighter can force mobs to target him.

The aforementioned thief/fencer (a full set of thief skills is pretty rad, not too sure about fencer yet).

A wizard who just mastered her class and I don't know what to switch her into.

A shaman who's been my miscellaneous party member to try other things out with. Not sure what to do with them, but will probably swap them to some sort of non-magic dps.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 27, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC no there's not a way to use a subclass's weapon skills that require a weapon you're not holding. Fencer has some of the best weapon skills though and IIRC one of my characters used a rapier throughout pretty much the entire game because of it.

There comes a point when you have enough recovery items to heal MP to full between every fight, and while non-magic classes still remain good/viable/necessary there's a shift in balance toward magic later on once it can start one-shot AoEing entire groups of tough mobs for fast leveling, and taking advantage of elemental weaknesses carried me through quite a lot of more difficult boss fights. Flare & Thunder on wizard were probably my 2 biggest damage dealers overall throughout the entirety of the game and at times I would subclass my healer to Wizard to get even more of those spells out.

I tried to keep a standard party of 2 physical attackers and 2 casters (a healer/support and an offensive caster) throughout while leveling up every class on everyone - a lot of the passives are fantastic to have access to on everyone at various points in the game, so having all the passives from a damage class available on your healer isn't a bad thing. But I think it has a great sense of class balance to the point where you can mix & match and experiment, some classes will be absurdly useful where you are currently and useless in the next area. I think having one party member feel kind of useless at any given time is pretty normal, but they're often there to catch or counter the odd thing the rest of the party struggles with. Like, dragging a wizard along in the early game they won't do much in most battles, but you'll encounter things that are weak to fire/lightning that will (probably) wreck the rest of your party.

The respec NPCs let you respec your stat growths from one class to another, so if you e.g. have your healer gain a bunch of levels as an Assassin (with Assassin stat growths), you can just go swap those stat growths to Healer levels or Wizard levels or whatever at the Respec place.

e: I feel like a whole lot of the game is very deliberately designed, I don't know if I'm right or not because I've never looked up what the dev says about it :kiddo: but almost everything in Crystal Project feels like a very intentional design decision to me - and I think the same kind of light class anxiety that you're feeling right now is a deliberate thing - to encourage you to keep switching things around, and to show you that it's a game where none of your decisions are set in stone and nothing you do is "wasted", and also to emulate the retro MMO feel it's going for by giving you Class Anxiety FOMO about the classes that seem overpowered for current content :v: When you get more classes unlocked and mastered you start to feel more "comfortable" with your party comps. But the key thing out of all of that is that there are no wrong answers - you're never locked into classes or levels or stat gains or anything like that, everything can be tailored and adjusted to exactly what you want it to be by the end of the game, and the class levels you gain now will be useful to you at some point, even if not right now.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 27, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i beat that game and i have no clue what youre talking about. Every enemy and fight was beatable when me and my coop partner got to it, though now i do recall one robot miniboss being way tougher than the other enemies, but we still stubbornly beat it. We never grinded and I recall that leveling up just got you more perk points to unlock poo poo like "can throw more hatchets" or "can dual wield weapons" rather than rpg-style stat upgrades.

I had to look it up cause I did not remember boosters at all. There are boosters available but there are also a couple things to note. For one, you cant buy boosters with the premium currency. That currency can only be used on cosmetics, which can also be bought with the normal currency earned by playing the game. The other thing is that boosters don't increase your damage. All they do is give the player a 10 minute boost where they have more armor, health, or ammo depending on which one was used. Needless to say, but there's no point in the game where these are ever required, though they can certainly help for boss fights or tough missions

i get that a lot of ppl dont like the game, and thats fine. But i feel like a lot of the hate comes from the game not explaining its mechanics very well and just being misunderstood rather than it being just a bad game in general. The controversy about there being premium currency is a good example. There shouldnt be this kind of poo poo in a singleplayer/coop game, but whats there is extremely easy to ignore and everything can be earned normally just by playing the game

Youngblood is a fun 7/10 kind of game for me. I had a great time playing through it with my friend and chopping up endless hordes of nazis while running through levels at Sonic-esque speeds. Its far from perfect but definitely worth picking up on sale if it seems kinda interesting, imo

i was probably overspicy on my post, sorry about that. i imagine at least some of it was Skill Issue TM but my co-op partner and I were just slamming our faces into a wall at some point. We were having fun until then, i dunno. :shrug:

wanna say we were playing it on epic maybe at the time? perhaps it was different somehow, perhaps we did just misunderstand. either way we were ready to just throw on a trainer but of course that wasn't an option so uninstall it was. sucks because it did seem mostly good until then. different experiences i suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

sebmojo posted:

I thought Deckard Cain died?